What's new

The Grindstone, Training Network. Find training partners/lvl up/git gud.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I'll be back on directly, as soon as my backside stops hurting from the asskicking Espio just gave me.

I'm thinking of adding Cheetah to my list. Every time I play one I just sit there and go "Wtf just happened, where the fuck did my health go, and when the fuck is it my turn?" and I never get answers to any of those questions.. Which means she's probably not a bad character for me.,

Espio

Kokomo
I'm available to play. Firestorm main. I don't have a mic but I can play some sets
Add Espio872, if you will be on tonight, I would love to play a Firestorm. It has been far too long.

GGs @Espio

I just dont understand Manta at all. AT ALL. And I literally failed, the ENTIRE SET, to get ONE fucking d1 x laser. I actually broke a controller during that one I got so pissed. Twisted the damn thing in half. Now Im down to two! lol.

I dunno. I dont think Manta is for me. I'm not the slow and measured pace type.. I was trying to spam some of his tools to see like, what they do, but they all just seem "ok", he has great air control with his bf2, but at the same time, I can land it three times, and you get through it once and he loses that trade in damage. Harpoon is ok. His teleport is honestly pointless except as a weird AA/combo extender.. Laser is great but I couldnt make my hands fucking do it for some reason. d2.. i was d2ing on READS to some of your jump stuff and it was gettinf flat out bodied.

I mean, obviously, I cant do his combos and conversions and that's a big deal but just from a personal standpoint, he's not that fun.

Also, fuck your Vixen. Fuck it in the ear. With a cheese grater lol. I dont understand ANYTHING about how you fight that character. I know what her frame data says, but Ill be damnded if that seemed to mean anything lol. ANd when you supered and I blocked it, but failed to punish, my spirit died. My fucking hand locked and wouldnt unlock and I think I did,, st3? was it? and nothing else? lol.
GGS, I'm gonna give you some tough love real talk that you need to hear so you can grow.

Your problem is that you don't clash and you always just horde your meter for no reason and it confuses me. You also don't block enough which is why you die. I hit you with like 6 low strings in a row because you don't block with Cheetah and most of Cheetah's options are lows, she has overhead grab but nobody is spamming that constantly. You lost like 40% health to a string that you could of just blocked but refused to block.

Same thing against Beetle, projectile is plus 15 on hit, you cannot press buttons after it on hit up close, you will get punished every single time.

If you wanna level up pick one-two characters and actually stick with them. There's play styles for every player in this game. I play a jack of all trades/zoner and a pure rushdown/mobile grappler. You can't expect to keep up with someone who is dedicated to one or two characters with your half hearted picks and then get mad when it doesn't work out. It's not Manta's fault, he goes even with Beetle and Vixen.

It wouldn't make sense if you were beating me when you don't stick to a main against someone who does. You teleported entirely too much as well.

I also play people that put in time with Manta, you can't expect to do good or great with him without the time investment. You get what you put into fighting games. Your expectations are too high and that's why you are frustrated.

ZonalsEnd

"Let's turn up the heat!"
Add Espio872, if you will be on tonight, I would love to play a Firestorm. It has been far too long.
I can't play tonight, but I'll hit you up soon. Glad you play vixen. I could use some training against her. Haven't played many.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Yeah @EntropicByDesign he's right bro. You've been dealing with a character crisis for a while, but you have to choose your characters & then grind. You develop your style of play based on the character that you choose. Sounds like you like poking oriented characters so Manta might be for you. I'm only responding though because you asked me & others this a while back in the Supergirl threads.

EntropicByDesign

GGS, I'm gonna give you some tough love real talk that you need to hear so you can grow.

Your problem is that you don't clash and you always just horde your meter for no reason and it confuses me. You also don't block enough which is why you die. I hit you with like 6 low strings in a row because you don't block with Cheetah and most of Cheetah's options are lows, she has overhead grab but nobody is spamming that constantly. You lost like 40% health to a string that you could of just blocked but refused to block.

Same thing against Beetle, projectile is plus 15 on hit, you cannot press buttons after it on hit up close, you will get punished every single time.

If you wanna level up pick one-two characters and actually stick with them. There's play styles for every player in this game. I play a jack of all trades/zoner and a pure rushdown/mobile grappler. You can't expect to keep up with someone who is dedicated to one or two characters with your half hearted picks and then get mad when it doesn't work out. It's not Manta's fault, he goes even with Beetle and Vixen.

It wouldn't make sense if you were beating me when you don't stick to a main against someone who does. You teleported entirely too much as well.

I also play people that put in time with Manta, you can't expect to do good or great with him without the time investment. You get what you put into fighting games. Your expectations are too high and that's why you are frustrated.

Ok, I need to explain some things.. I appreciate the tough love, and I understand exactly what you mean.. but I do want to explain a couple things about some of the stuff that was confusing you. These ARE NOT MEANT AS EXCUSES - just an explanation, because watching me play sometimes makes a lot of people scratch their heads.

I wasn't playing to win at all with Manta.. I was playing to.. I dunno the right term. I was playing to explore? Its why I was spamming things, Id pick a string and use it 3-4-5 times in a row, or pick a special and just keep using it over and over. Its how I get a feel for things when I havent played a character before. I centrate, I pick one aspect of a thing and just sort of DO IT, then another, then another, and so on. Its the reason you saw so many teles in a row, or f21's or harpoons, or supermans, etc. I wasn't clashing because I wasn't trying to win, it just kinda got in the way of things, id rather lose and start with full health, then keep going. I should have explained what I was intending to do before we played, so you could decide if you even wanted to play at all, but all I was trying to do today in that set was get a very general idea of what Manta felt like, how he moves and interacts and how if specials feel and his strings and so on. Just how the character.. I dunno, cause how he works isnt the right word, but I guess, how he feels. To then decide if I want to actually learn him or not.

As to not blocking, I know you're going to call me a liar and that's fine.. but speaking towards you pressuring me on wakeup.. I WAS blocking. I was holding downback (Street fighter player, so just holding down doesnt feel right to me) OR I was trying to reversal superman. Not *once* in out sets unless it was a hand spasm did I wake up with ANYTHING other than a reversal superman or just blocking.. so it was me fucking up my bf2 input, or my hand shaking or acting weird and I guess letting off or something. Im bad at Injustice, but Im not bad at fighting games as a whole. I know better than to press buttons when someone is standing on top of me doing shit, unless I know how to beat it with buttons, like a fake meaty, or bad timing or whatever, but I dont know any of that in Inj. So what you saw there was just my hands being douchey. Did you notice that several times youd do Cheetah's 112 and Id block the first or second hit, then just open up? Hands. I'm stupid and I'm a garbage fire of a player, but I'm not so idiotic that I'd just start hitting buttons in the middle of a string, lol. As to the rest, you are spot on. I dont know my options, or Cheetah's, because I have to grind more, so Id stick buttons out after strings or whatever in neutral just trying to figure out how to contest her pressure, cause I cant just stand there and let you pressure forever. You are absolutely right though, my lack of knowledge killed me here because I just didnt know when/how to do anything. There are numerous other times I was stupid and hit buttons when I shouldnt, and you're right. I dont have any excuse other than I was so panicked about getting rolled back in to pressure I couldnt figure out how to beat that I was just sort of flailing.

BUt you are 100% correct, my BIGGEST issue is just not picking one or two characters and sticking with them and that I get out what I put in, I dont play enough. I go a week to 10 days at a stretch without playing and even though life does get in the way, I CAN make time, I CAN get in and grind. I spend far too much of my play time doing what I was doing with Manta today rather than playing with any coherence, which puts actually learning anything even further behind. Im always chasing a new character, and with my hands, thats even more of a bad idea, because it can take me so long to even basic stuff down.

So I need to concentrate on:

Picking 1-3 characters and STICKING TO THEM. I have Beetle and Swamp Thing. Ive been looking at Cheetah, Manta and one or two others as a third. I am going to try Hellboy some.. Cant help it. He's too cool not to.

Defense in general. Not just holding block correctly but understanding when AND HOW to take my turn back.

Just getting hours behind a character that are seriously me taking the match seriously. Not exploring or fucking about or tinkering, but clashing, escaping, actually PLAYING THE GAME how it's meant to be played.

Again, I dont mean any of that as some "Oh ok its fine" kind of excuse, I just want to explain a little of what was happening. My hands make for some weird shit sometimes. Like if you keep me locked down for an extended period of time, think like, Batman extended pressure or something, its very hard for me to unclutch the controller and start moving again, my hand is sort of clawed and my thumb is MASHING back/downback - but I can mitigate this by trying to actively keep from smashing my thumb down and like, kung-fu gripping my controller, but forcing myself to keep a looser grip and blah blah. I CAN work around my hands and after a while they just get used to what Im doing anyway, and arent an issue anymore. But in the interval they can lead to some weird shit on my end that's not intentional.

ANyway. I appreciate the games, next time we play I'll bring out Beetle and take things more seriously.

EntropicByDesign

Yeah @EntropicByDesign he's right bro. You've been dealing with a character crisis for a while, but you have to choose your characters & then grind. You develop your style of play based on the character that you choose. Sounds like you like poking oriented characters so Manta might be for you. I'm only responding though because you asked me & others this a while back in the Supergirl threads.

I appreciate the advice man. I like such a broad range of stuff its hard to "settle".. I have found Beetle to be a HUGE amount of fun, he combines mobility and range with footsies and a good projectile, he does everything I want a character to do. And you are right, ive found myself, in INj2 gravitating towards characters that can poke and work from a distance, which is why Ive been messing with Swamp Thing some, his F23 and such is AMAZING. SG is a lot of fun too honestly.. See? I write two sentences and Im off in "what if" land thinking of other characters.

BUt yeah, picking a character and playing seriously are my biggest issues. I need to stick to Beetle and Swampy. My heart wants a third character but my brain says that's not the right idea.

Nobus3r1

House of Bane; ID: 8V596
@EntropicByDesign

PSN: Nobus3r1 // US East Coast (Maryland) // Scarecrow // I am around most evenings for at least some training mode and I will likely be going through the list on pg.1 in search of geographically close people to hit up.

Might suggest some form of sorting on the main list. Either alphabetically OR, ideally, by region and then alphabetically.

JDE

I appreciate the advice man. I like such a broad range of stuff its hard to "settle".. I have found Beetle to be a HUGE amount of fun, he combines mobility and range with footsies and a good projectile, he does everything I want a character to do. And you are right, ive found myself, in INj2 gravitating towards characters that can poke and work from a distance, which is why Ive been messing with Swamp Thing some, his F23 and such is AMAZING. SG is a lot of fun too honestly.. See? I write two sentences and Im off in "what if" land thinking of other characters.

BUt yeah, picking a character and playing seriously are my biggest issues. I need to stick to Beetle and Swampy. My heart wants a third character but my brain says that's not the right idea.
Yeah & that's the part that you have to get out of. Trust me, I had this same issue in SF & Tekken. Only difference in SFV season 1 before its release, was I letting negativity of some friends throw me for a loop, but ended up playing who I wanted to play anyway, which was Ken, still play him despite his changes. I've done well with him too. Been going 1-2, 2-2, even 3-2 in events now because I stuck to my guns. Chun Li is my pocket. I had the problem in GG, but ended up not playing it.

With Tekken 7, what I did was pick my favorite character & learned the game, but recently, switched over to a character who's more suited for my style of play, which is poking, mobility, & mixups. She's like my 3rd or 4th favorite. Now, I'm grinding the game.

Point is you can only character select for so long. If you have to, have players police you like Espio so try that, too. You'll fall further behind if you don't stop it now. I2 has been out for nearly 6 months now & you're still searching for a character. That's not good man. lol

Last edited:

EntropicByDesign

@EntropicByDesign

PSN: Nobus3r1 // US East Coast (Maryland) // Scarecrow // I am around most evenings for at least some training mode and I will likely be going through the list on pg.1 in search of geographically close people to hit up.

Might suggest some form of sorting on the main list. Either alphabetically OR, ideally, by region and then alphabetically.

Added. And yeah, formatting is incoming. I just have to sit down and do it. Might work on it tonight or something. My plan is to group via psn and xbox, then further by region for those who listed it. Not terribly concerned with alphabetizing it all, but I could poverty alphabetize and group by first letter.

Psn:KoolJulios14- Aquaman Firestorm Gl Arrow and DeadShot. honestly I'm not on here as much but shoot me a pm online. honestly it varies when I'm on lol but pm me and I'll get back to you asap.

EntropicByDesign

Yeah & that's the part that you have to get out of. Trust me, I had this same issue in SF & Tekken. Only difference in SFV season 1 before its release, was I letting negativity of some friends throw me for a loop, but ended up playing who I wanted to play anyway, which was Ken, still play him despite his changes. I've done well with him too. Been going 1-2, 2-2, even 3-2 in events now because I stuck to my guns. Chun Li is my pocket. I had the problem in GG, but ended up not playing it.

With Tekken 7, what I did was pick my favorite character & learned the game, but recently, switched over to a character who's more suited for my style of play, which is poking, mobility, & mixups. She's like my 3rd or 4th favorite. Now, I'm grinding the game.

Point is you can only character select for so long. If you have to, have players police you like Espio so try that, too. You'll fall further behind if you don't stop it now. I2 has been out for nearly 6 months now.

Yeah. You are very thoroughly correct. The same issue has hampered me in other games as well. I do let negativity get to me as well and dont play some characters because of general perception (Batman, SG namely).

Characters that typically suit me, or at least, ones I feel comfortable on, are usually reasonably mobile, versatile characters with some kind of ranged option. I hate having to always be in someones face to get work done, or always having to be far far away to get work done. I like to have options. It's why I really think Beetle is a good fit for me. Swamp Thing is kinda surprising, but he's more a guilty pleasure. I just enjoy playing him enormously, even if he isnt the "best" character for me. His ranged options, wakeup, and ranged strings are a lot of fun, even if they arent the most effective thing on the planet.

I want to point out I am typing this, and actually played that set, with no less than two kittens crawling on me at all times. The entire WoWo set I played with Espio was spent with a kitten on my shoulder biting my ear. Ive gottne so used to it I dont even register it. I hadnt even consciously realized it just not till Ed stepped on the keyboard.

SaucyD0ge

Worst european batman
Yeah. You are very thoroughly correct. The same issue has hampered me in other games as well. I do let negativity get to me as well and dont play some characters because of general perception (Batman, SG namely).

Characters that typically suit me, or at least, ones I feel comfortable on, are usually reasonably mobile, versatile characters with some kind of ranged option. I hate having to always be in someones face to get work done, or always having to be far far away to get work done. I like to have options. It's why I really think Beetle is a good fit for me. Swamp Thing is kinda surprising, but he's more a guilty pleasure. I just enjoy playing him enormously, even if he isnt the "best" character for me. His ranged options, wakeup, and ranged strings are a lot of fun, even if they arent the most effective thing on the planet.

I want to point out I am typing this, and actually played that set, with no less than two kittens crawling on me at all times. The entire WoWo set I played with Espio was spent with a kitten on my shoulder biting my ear. Ive gottne so used to it I dont even register it. I hadnt even consciously realized it just not till Ed stepped on the keyboard.
God Supergirl fits your bill so much...Dang it, even I’d have success with her if I devoted 30 minutes to learning set-ups and practicing corner loops...Try Superman just for giggles and see if you like f23’ing people

Reactions: JDE

EntropicByDesign

So, interestingly, I have tried SG..

I played a handful of sets with a guy on here who was clearly significantly better than I was. I played a couple characters I knew, Hood and one or two others and he beat me convincingly every time. Then I chose SG kind of on a whim - I had been posting about her some and looking in to her a lot, and the SG community is pretty good so I knew a little, but had zero seat time with her, didnt know any setups or anything, just basic neutral stuff.. PLayed a couple matches and settled in some.. and then just started winning. Not blowing anyone away but I went from losing badly, to winning by a fair margin each time, all while doing NOTHING optimal, to the point if I got a freeze by the corner Id jump over and b3 OUT because I didnt know corner combos lol... But I was winning.

I actually stopped playing her at that point because I felt like I wasnt doing anything different, just being terrible like I always am, but I was getting results.. and I started to think that "Ya know, shes fine at the higher levels, but at mid and low where I am, I could take her and I could probably win more than I should do, but I dont think I'd really be getting better at the game, maybe I'll revisit her when Im a better player in general"

I do kind of want to try Superman as a 3rd character. Never actually played him... but shrug.

JDE

Then either Beetle, Firestorm, Batman, Superman, Robin, Supergirl, Catwoman, Aquaman, Manta or Cyborg are a good fit for you. Maybe Green Lantern or Green Arrow.

EDIT: Wonder Woman is a good fit, but you'll have to pretty much play like shield bash & tossing game & you said you don't like playing that way.

Last edited:

EntropicByDesign

Then either Beetle, Firestorm, Batman, Superman, Supergirl, Catwoman, Aquaman, Manta or Cyborg are a good fit for you. Maybe Green Lantern or Green Arrow.

Yeah. ITS SO HARD TO DECIDE.

It works out like this atm:

1. Beetle
2. ??
3. Swamp Thing

Swampy is actually more tertiary because I play him strictly because hes rare, interesting and fun. Of those you listed I dont like Firestorm, GL, Aquaman or Cyborg and after today I dont really like Manta in practice as much as in theory. I know grinding him and getting better gives me a better idea of what Im doing - but I can play a character and get shit on and still enjoy playing the character - first time I played Espio I played Beetle - as a for instance - so I think Manta is out.

That leaves Supergirl, Superman, Batman, Arrow and Catwoman.

It's a hard list to narrow down much further honestly. Ive never played Superman, but on paper, Id choose Supergirl over him. Her crossup stuff with air dash and all that is just fun. Batman I dunno. I loved his j2 silliness and vortex and those are gone... So Shrug. Catwoman is great.. and Arrow is great. Shrug.

Oh and I should put Cheetah in here somewhere. I know she doesn't fit the super versatile mold, but shes extremely fast, tricky and mobile and a BLAST to play.

JDE

Yeah. ITS SO HARD TO DECIDE.

It works out like this atm:

1. Beetle
2. ??
3. Swamp Thing

Swampy is actually more tertiary because I play him strictly because hes rare, interesting and fun. Of those you listed I dont like Firestorm, GL, Aquaman or Cyborg and after today I dont really like Manta in practice as much as in theory. I know grinding him and getting better gives me a better idea of what Im doing - but I can play a character and get shit on and still enjoy playing the character - first time I played Espio I played Beetle - as a for instance - so I think Manta is out.

That leaves Supergirl, Superman, Batman, Arrow and Catwoman.

It's a hard list to narrow down much further honestly. Ive never played Superman, but on paper, Id choose Supergirl over him. Her crossup stuff with air dash and all that is just fun. Batman I dunno. I loved his j2 silliness and vortex and those are gone... So Shrug. Catwoman is great.. and Arrow is great. Shrug.

Oh and I should put Cheetah in here somewhere. I know she doesn't fit the super versatile mold, but shes extremely fast, tricky and mobile and a BLAST to play.
Honestly, just main Blue Beetle. Focus on him. 80/20 rules. 80% Blue Beetle, 20% Swamp Thing, then you can decide on a 3rd character. But you would have an actual go to character that you devote your time to. So focus on him, then make a decision on another later.

EntropicByDesign

Honestly, just main Blue Beetle. Focus on him. 80/20 rules. 80% Blue Beetle, 20% Swamp Thing, then you can decide on a 3rd character. But you would have an actual go to character that you devote your time to. So focus on him, then make a decision on another later.

Fair enough man. I wanted to look in to Hellboy anyway, so no reason to even bother with anyone else right now, since Im going to at least fiddle with him some when he releases.

Ima go get some caffeine and then find some games for this bee-tull, and a lil bit of Swampy on the side ;)

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I LOOOOVE how you guys are honest with each other, but out of love. Thats what this thread is about :)

Hell, even make Uncle JBeezY wanna hop on some games, even though Ive been busy with Tekken 7. Sooooo maaaaaaybe I'll be on tonight. @AkioOf100 You down wit' the get down ?Question mark?

EDIT @Espio I think i juuuuuuust might be ready to face you. Fuck it :)

SaucyD0ge

Worst european batman
So, interestingly, I have tried SG..

I played a handful of sets with a guy on here who was clearly significantly better than I was. I played a couple characters I knew, Hood and one or two others and he beat me convincingly every time. Then I chose SG kind of on a whim - I had been posting about her some and looking in to her a lot, and the SG community is pretty good so I knew a little, but had zero seat time with her, didnt know any setups or anything, just basic neutral stuff.. PLayed a couple matches and settled in some.. and then just started winning. Not blowing anyone away but I went from losing badly, to winning by a fair margin each time, all while doing NOTHING optimal, to the point if I got a freeze by the corner Id jump over and b3 OUT because I didnt know corner combos lol... But I was winning.

I actually stopped playing her at that point because I felt like I wasnt doing anything different, just being terrible like I always am, but I was getting results.. and I started to think that "Ya know, shes fine at the higher levels, but at mid and low where I am, I could take her and I could probably win more than I should do, but I dont think I'd really be getting better at the game, maybe I'll revisit her when Im a better player in general"

I do kind of want to try Superman as a 3rd character. Never actually played him... but shrug.
See, this is the problem with SG, no need to even outread the opponent when all of your options have to be respected by your opponent and you have to respect nearly nothing.Soooooo stupid and annoying.

EntropicByDesign

See, this is the problem with SG, no need to even outread the opponent when all of your options have to be respected by your opponent and you have to respect nearly nothing.Soooooo stupid and annoying.
We all have characters that trigger us, but let's try to keep the general mood in here positive and not devolve into the arguing about characters stuff that plagues so much of the forum in general. I'm not like, putting you on blast, I just bitched about Cheetah myself, but I can see things turning into an argument super fast - the bad kind. There's just so much SG and DS and Batman and such hatred spewing around. We're all just here to level up and get better.