What's new

The Future Of Law Enforcement- A UMK11 Robocop Guide

Thanks for the guide @CrazyFingers! I agree on most of it. I read through a good chunk of the thread until it became clear that it'd gotten circular. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Personally I feel that RoboCop is not necessarily weak overall, just very matchup dependent. He gets crunched by Jade & Shang, but I agree with Fingers that he does well vs Joker. Imo he does well vs primarily-grounded, non-teleport characters in general. I feel he's pretty even with top/high tier ones like Joker, Johnny, Kotal, Rain, some builds of Sub, Kano, etc, and does well vs others like Jax, Terminator, Baraka, Sonya, Shao, etc. And other matchups don't feel bad to me, pretty even I would say. I feel he does fine vs Cetrion since rocket knocks her out of hell's wrath, low shot punishes some of her full screen options, & shield negates boulders. I feel ok vs Scorpion & Noob because their teleports whiff over low shot, so I can use it without being too scared. For Fujin, high rocket knocks him out of sky wakka, low shot recovers fast enough that I can zone while keeping an eye on whether he does the slide under it into KB, etc.

I would say most of his matchups are pretty close to evenish, whether slight advantage or slight loss, and only a few are actually bad. So overall I think he's ok. Imo he's more of a counterpick character than a solo main, even now with kustoms.

Also I really enjoy him. I don't feel that his buttons are gimped, he just has some ranges where he's designed to not be as strong, and he has enough movement & enough strength where he does have control that I'm not upset about that.

The variation I'm playing most is high rocket, low auto 9, & cheval trap. Low auto 9 is good in any RoboCop build, maybe his best move? Seems like all of us have it, not much explanation needed haha.

Imo the trap really accentuates his control vs grounded non-teleport characters since it prevents characters from block dashing over it. It also lets me pick spots on screen to safely control or run away from because it prevents the opponent from chasing. And I find that I get a huge amount of chip damage overall from this. The amplified gas grenade having a hitbox as it goes through the air, the only grenade that does, means that it helps control space too. DB4 amp is +14, not quite flamethrower level but enough to jail into S1 for more pressure, and it's safe on block from close unlike flamethrower, so although I think flamethrower is strong, I don't feel that I miss it much. DB4 amp being safe also means that characters who can low profile under F212 have a reason to not press buttons there, since you can just do the grenade. He also has some nice corner control that can include unblockables with amp gas grenade, although some of the setups I used before Ultimate are no longer guaranteed but can still work in a mixup. And if I find a pop up with B2 or F42, I can choose to end full screen with rocket (as below) or, if I want to continue pressuring, I can end in DB4 amp for the restand.

High rocket is a great preemptive antiair and getting fullscreen pushback without needing to amp it means I get to set up road spikes & space control & chip damage again over and over. Amp is very plus on block, so if I've convinced someone to high block on F212, I can end in amp rocket to push them back with plus frames to start zoning again.

Against other characters, right now I'm trying out air dash, command grab, cheval trap. I'm not super confident in it, but if I can't use projectiles vs Jade or whoever, I'd rather try to meet her in the air and corner her. And I still like cheval trap because it limits her movement, does chip, & gives me amp gas grenade for pressure & restands. Still prob not a great matchup though haha.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Thanks for the guide @CrazyFingers! I agree on most of it. I read through a good chunk of the thread until it became clear that it'd gotten circular. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Personally I feel that RoboCop is not necessarily weak overall, just very matchup dependent. He gets crunched by Jade & Shang, but I agree with Fingers that he does well vs Joker. Imo he does well vs primarily-grounded, non-teleport characters in general. I feel he's pretty even with top/high tier ones like Joker, Johnny, Kotal, Rain, some builds of Sub, Kano, etc, and does well vs others like Jax, Terminator, Baraka, Sonya, Shao, etc. And other matchups don't feel bad to me, pretty even I would say. I feel he does fine vs Cetrion since rocket knocks her out of hell's wrath, low shot punishes some of her full screen options, & shield negates boulders. I feel ok vs Scorpion & Noob because their teleports whiff over low shot, so I can use it without being too scared. For Fujin, high rocket knocks him out of sky wakka, low shot recovers fast enough that I can zone while keeping an eye on whether he does the slide under it into KB, etc.

I would say most of his matchups are pretty close to evenish, whether slight advantage or slight loss, and only a few are actually bad. So overall I think he's ok. Imo he's more of a counterpick character than a solo main, even now with kustoms.

Also I really enjoy him. I don't feel that his buttons are gimped, he just has some ranges where he's designed to not be as strong, and he has enough movement & enough strength where he does have control that I'm not upset about that.
I agree with your assessment, but you are saying nothing different from what Robocop and I have been saying in terms of the character's tournament viability and bad match ups. Besides, the archetype of the situational zoning character already exists in this game. Kitana has a similar game plan to Robocop when equipped with low fan toss and half-blood stance. Low fan toss is to Kitana what low auto is to Robocop. Albeit Kitana is far from a top tier character because of her conspicuous weaknesses offensively, she has long range normal attacks and strings, access to a default launcher, and functional reversal attacks. She also has a female hitbox and arguably the best low-profiling poke. Robocop has none such tools, and if you are writing a lengthy guide, you may want to elaborate on the character's weaknesses so players know what to expect.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I really hope anyone reading this thread goes back and reads the entire first page. This isn't a discussion or even a circular argument (since the arguments and questions are being ignored). It's just people posting nonsense, other than a couple of quality responses, and getting mad when asked to provide any reasoning. Just for fun, here are the arguments and questions that have gone utterly unanswered:
  1. As RoboCop, you've either got to just peck away at the opponent and hope you don't get touched, or you can use one of your terrible launchers to go for some of that "bigly" (according to Stephanie) 24% 1-bar damage without any significant oki-followup. The risk-vs-reward just isn't there. Can RoboCop win matches? Of course. Is he still possibly the worst character in the game? I'd say bottom 3 for sure.
  2. Unless I just missed it, the guide doesn't mention his total lack of defense. Yeah, his d2 is fast and d4 can give some characters problems, but that's really it. His wakeups and flawless blocks get him killed more often than they connect. Once he's knocked down, the majority of the kast can bully him heavily with no fear of retribution.
  3. Every character can throw, so having a character who is reliant on throws to get their damage is fundamentally unbalanced, especially in a game with a mechanic specifically designed to punish throws for upwards of 65% damage, and especially in a game with characters like Rambo and Kotal who have several throws built into their strings (and I think Rambo has much better zoning than RoboCop, but that's a discussion for another time lol). Just because a character needs throws to get their damage doesn't mean they're any better at throwing than any other character.
  4. The issue isn't just the damage, it's also how he gets it.
    1. Only response is Joker also does low damage? Refuted a few posts later.
  5. (referring to b2) Ok, so it's a buttom meant to be used in kombos, yet it only adds a couple percent damage and whiffs on female hitboxes midscreen. How is that not gimped?!
  6. He's basically locked into Low Shot and Flamethrower. I know other characters are locked into optimized variations as well, but in RoboCop's case, he is utterly reliant on those 2 moves to function. His default kit, including his normals and strings, is literaly non-functional.
And the response to all that? "Youre just saying gimped. What is gimped about the moves? The only thing youve said is "theyre stubby". That looks like too many characters to just spell "stubby" (which is a made-up argument, anyway; I've literally never mentioned any character's subbiness lol). You ask for specific questions or arguments, but when presented with questions or arguments that don't align with the guide, they are literally just ignored before you accuse me of being a bad player. And when I refuse to let those legit question go unanswered? The classic "we're going in circles, let's pack it up". lol, you can't go in circles if you don't have a discussion. It's not "going in circles" if you haven't addressed the arguments.

The few answers I've gotten have twisted the arguments or questions into something they're not. "RoboCop is not competitively viable" quickly becomes "you said RoboCop can't win, so nothing else you say is valid and you probably suck at the game". And the people twisting these arguments are the same ones complaining about a lack of civil discourse lol.

Let's see a few more unanswered issues:
  1. He's gotta play this weird keepaway game where he's got to constantly respect his opponent's options but they don't really need to respect his. And you certainly can whittle people down. But one mistake, and all that work is undone. You spend 30 seconds hacking someone down by 20% and then they tag you with a stray hit and now they're up by 10% just like that.
  2. if you don't think he's bottom 3, who would you put below him? Shao Kahn and what two other characters? (1 person has answered)
  3. Both @Obly and @ShepherdOfFire wrote thoughtful full-page responses, but unfortunately they, too, used the word "optimistic" when describing the guide, so their thoughtful, detailed writeups didn't get so much as a "Like" from you, much less a response.
  4. I'm not even going to get into the "chip damage" debate lol. I've already posted everything I think about that, and no one has provided any evidence to the contrary, other than personal attacks.
@Pyrosis ignores my detailed claims and just says I have a "defeatist attitude". That's a pretty blunt way to say "I cannot counter your arguments, so I'll just ignore them and focus on you."

Phew, that's enough for now. But people have asked for "specific arguments and questions" so there you go.

One last argument because I just remembered it, but one consequence of his low damage is that he will almost always have to deal with his opponent having access to Fatal Blow because he can't kill them before they access it. This applies to the handful of characters who have issues breaking 30% midscreen damage, but it's an issue that I don't think I've ever seen brought up, and is a serious consequence of dealing low damage in this game.

Last edited:

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
I really hope anyone reading this thread goes back and reads the entire first page. This isn't a discussion or even a circular argument (since the arguments and questions are being ignored). It's just people posting nonsense, other than a couple of quality responses, and getting mad when asked to provide any reasoning. Just for fun, here are the arguments and questions that have gone utterly unanswered:
  1. As RoboCop, you've either got to just peck away at the opponent and hope you don't get touched, or you can use one of your terrible launchers to go for some of that "bigly" (according to Stephanie) 24% 1-bar damage without any significant oki-followup. The risk-vs-reward just isn't there. Can RoboCop win matches? Of course. Is he still possibly the worst character in the game? I'd say bottom 3 for sure.
  2. Unless I just missed it, the guide doesn't mention his total lack of defense. Yeah, his d2 is fast and d4 can give some characters problems, but that's really it. His wakeups and flawless blocks get him killed more often than they connect. Once he's knocked down, the majority of the kast can bully him heavily with no fear of retribution.
  3. Every character can throw, so having a character who is reliant on throws to get their damage is fundamentally unbalanced, especially in a game with a mechanic specifically designed to punish throws for upwards of 65% damage, and especially in a game with characters like Rambo and Kotal who have several throws built into their strings (and I think Rambo has much better zoning than RoboCop, but that's a discussion for another time lol). Just because a character needs throws to get their damage doesn't mean they're any better at throwing than any other character.
  4. The issue isn't just the damage, it's also how he gets it.
    1. Only response is Joker also does low damage? Refuted a few posts later.
  5. (referring to b2) Ok, so it's a buttom meant to be used in kombos, yet it only adds a couple percent damage and whiffs on female hitboxes midscreen. How is that not gimped?!
  6. He's basically locked into Low Shot and Flamethrower. I know other characters are locked into optimized variations as well, but in RoboCop's case, he is utterly reliant on those 2 moves to function. His default kit, including his normals and strings, is literaly non-functional.
And the response to all that? "Youre just saying gimped. What is gimped about the moves? The only thing youve said is "theyre stubby". That looks like too many characters to just spell "stubby". You ask for specific questions or arguments, but when presented with questions or arguments that don't align with the guide, they are literally just ignored before you accuse me of being a bad player. And when I refuse to let those legit question go unanswered? The classic "we're going in circles, let's pack it up". lol, you can't go in circles if you don't have a discussion. It's not "going in circles" if you haven't addressed the arguments.

The few answers I've gotten have twisted the arguments or questions into something they're not. "RoboCop is not competitively viable" quickly becomes "you said RoboCop can't win, so nothing else you say is valid and you probably suck at the game". And the people twisting these arguments are the same ones complaining about a lack of civil discourse lol.

Let's see a few more unanswered issues:
  1. He's gotta play this weird keepaway game where he's got to constantly respect his opponent's options but they don't really need to respect his. And you certainly can whittle people down. But one mistake, and all that work is undone. You spend 30 seconds hacking someone down by 20% and then they tag you with a stray hit and now they're up by 10% just like that.
  2. if you don't think he's bottom 3, who would you put below him? Shao Kahn and what two other characters? (1 person has answered)
  3. Both @Obly and @ShepherdOfFire wrote thoughtful full-page responses, but unfortunately they, too, used the word "optimistic" when describing the guide, so their thoughtful, detailed writeups didn't get so much as a "Like" from you, much less a response.
  4. I'm not even going to get into the "chip damage" debate lol. I've already posted everything I think about that, and no one has provided any evidence to the contrary, other than personal attacks.
@Pyrosis ignores my detailed claims and just says I have a "defeatist attitude". That's a pretty blunt way to say "I cannot counter your arguments, so I'll just ignore them and focus on you."

Phew, that's enough for now. But people have asked for "specific arguments and questions" so there you go.

One last argument because I just remembered it, but one consequence of his low damage is that he will almost always have to deal with his opponent having access to Fatal Blow because he can't kill them before they access it. This applies to the handful of characters who have issues breaking 30% midscreen damage, but it's an issue that I don't think I've ever seen brought up, and is a serious consequence of dealing low damage in this game.
The disconnect i think ive found here is that youre trying argue the character is of a certain power level when that was never even close to where my conversation was. Your "criticism" of my guide essentially boils down to "the character is bad and you didnt say he's bad" when i didnt even say he's GOOD either. Youre reading into the tone of my guide and not the content of it. As far as if that makes my guide worse or better im not sure but fine, you wanna do this? Lets do this.

1: The idea that EVERY character can just disrespect robocop's options is just completely silly. Are there characters that disproportionally mitigate/eliminate a lot of potential options he has? Absolutely, Jade is a character who exists in the game but he still has ways to get out of things like staggers and spacing situations (see his D4 for the latter and his dashes/mids for the former) He has to make more of a committment for certain but your take is that he doesnt have options when he clearly DOES. The risk reward is going to be in the opponent's favor, that is the nature of low damage characters in general so i cant really argue that point.

2: As far as button based defense he really doesnt have huge issues in this department, already kinda went over that he can defend himself he just needs more comittment (a weakness but still an option) when it comes to his flawlessblocks i have never had U3 whiff. U2 plenty, but never once has U3 whiffed for me in any of my games. Maybe im missing something but i really just have never had this issue idk what else to say. When he's knocked down he might not have something braindead like a Shao or Skarlet U3 but i tend to put more emphasis on wakeup delays and rolls to mitigate danger. When you delay a wakeup they are forced to either wait or go for a meaty that will answer both delay and normal getup. As a result you can navigate oki better. The character doesnt get THAT much more mauled on defense than other characters with U3s like his. He does need to block more than others in the corner but midscreen you can essentially just leave a lot of stagger situations with backdash or swing with your 10f mid. There really arent many characters in this game as a whole that cant get out of staggers when you commit to the option.

3: I ACKNOWLEDGED THIS ALREADY but let me acknowledge it again. Keep in mind this is assuming an even or winning matchup where he can actually use his gameplan. If you need me to clarify that his gameplan needs to work for his gameplan to work in the matchup then there ya go. Robocop's gameplay can create a lot of patience in the opponent which, as a result, means they are inherently open to more throws. If you are trying to get in on robocop and youve closed distance to about his dash ranges you have a TON of options you need to look out for which can cause you to try and play reactive. This also opens you up to sudden changes in the landscape, like robocop dashing an immense distance into a throw with little time to retaliate.

4: i acknowleged this too outside of the Joker thing but whatever, the character doesnt have a problem opening you up in the neutral thats literally his thing and his random hits in the neutral might not be comparable to a full combo but youre not just eating ONE hit. Take a sequence like getting tagged with amp low shot, blocking a low shot then going for a jump on a read of a low shot and getting slammed by amp rocket. He spent two bars sure but that doesnt matter since meter is LITERALLY FREE and more of a cooldown than anything but more importantly, you just ate close to 30% of your health just trying to get in and now youre back full screen. These kinds of scenarios preseny themselves CONSTANTLY. Youre looking at the character as if he will only get one hit and as a result his hits dont matter. Another example is something as simple as F32 amp flamethrower into a throw reset. Thats 30% there too. He doesnt do no damage just because his singular hits arent huge damage. Peoples health bars can MELT when Robocop has the read on them.

5: B2 is a BAD BUTTON. I already said it is a BAD combo filler only button. I never said the button wasnt bad. This is a strawman.

6: acknowledged this too! Crazy i know! His buttons are not "non-functional" his buttons are difficult to use there is a gigantic difference between these two things. Your wording implies they cannot be used. Not functioning means they serve no function which is a blatant falsehood. I dont think i need to explain to you how thats false when i know for a fact during your time playing the character you have used these buttons to serve a function and as have i. I do think he's locked into low shot, flamethrower maybe not AS much due to gas cannister but low shot definitely. Most characters, however, have at least one move they MUST have because of how good it is. Some characters, like Mileena, have TWO just like Robocop.

1a. You are again looking at his damage in a vaccuum. You need to see what situations each thing leads into, if you tag someone with one projectile it guarantees you one thing or another. Meaty projectiles, spike trap, oki, whatever it may be. The damage is important but the situations are just as if not MORE important. This also ties into why you cant just play him as a pure zoner which i mention in the damn guide. You have to meet your opponent half way with buttons and throws and dash punish baits. He's not a pure keep away character and THAT is the fundamental issue with a lot of the ideas i see thrown around about the character. Youre going to lose and think he's bad if you just play him pure zoning. Thats. Not. The point.

2a. I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT TIERS. Point to where i said he was or wasnt bottom 3. If i had the implied air about me talking about his tier placement i can tell you right now that wasnt my intent. All im saying is that he isnt that terrible. We are in MK11, no one is that terrible. Not even remotely.

3a. I didnt see their posts i was too busy paying attention to what you were saying. There was a big influx of like 3 different conversations going on at that time and honestly idk what they have to do with our conversation but yea, literally just didnt see every post thats been made here.

4a. acknowledged this one too, im starting to think youre the one ignoring arguments. Normals do SIGNIFICANTLY less chip than specials. You can do strings for 5-10 seconds on block and not get close to the amount of chip from specials over 5-10 seconds. Rushdown chip is based in normals/strings and outside of a few specific characters like Joker, specials will end offense. Meanwhile Robocop's chip is almost entirely based in his specials which means, on average, whenever either character is in their respective ideal spacings, Robocop will be doing more chip.

I know i might be coming off as a bit AGGRESSIVE rn but i legit acknowledged most of these and you seem to just dismiss my shit. Maybe i missed something but there you go. Im sure i'll get some response like "this is all good on paper but when you get into the REAL game it just doesnt work like that" well it really DOES work like that because again, thats how ive been playing him since his release.

To touch on "you arent mentioning his weaknesses" his weaknesses are exclusively Mu dependent. They ebb and flow judged solely on who he is fighting and incase you didnt notice, i dont have a matchup section. This is an extensive guide on the framework for the character. I am not going to handhold people through his matchups in a guide not going into his matchups. I still have a ton to learn about his matchups, especially after ultimate came out, that is why it is not extensive as much as to go into thr very specific matchup nuances that create his weaknesses.

Hope this is enough interaction to be satisfactory.

I think it'd be nice if your guide addressed more about what to do when stuck on defense as well, Fingers. I'm down to talk about how to win with a character I like, trading strategies, etc, whether he's a strong character overall or not. But the rest of this discussion, idk, I know some of y'all have been here forever too & still have the energy for it haha, but I guess I don't anymore.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Your "criticism" of my guide essentially boils down to "the character is bad and you didnt say he's bad" when i didnt even say he's GOOD either. Youre reading into the tone of my guide and not the content of it.
You would expect a comprehension guide to arrive to some type of conclusion about the character's tournament viability, which includes discussing whether the character is good or bad or somewhere in the middle. After all, you have published the guide on a website dedicated to competition and high level gameplay, where this sort of information matters. Nobody is asking you discuss every match up in great detail, but there ought to be a conclusive statement about the character's viability for tournament players, which are the vast majority of your readers.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
You would expect a comprehension guide to arrive to some type of conclusion about the character's tournament viability, which includes discussing whether the character is good or bad or somewhere in the middle. After all, you have published the guide on a website dedicated to competition and high level gameplay, where this sort of information matters. Nobody is asking you discuss every match up in great detail, but there ought to be a conclusive statement about the character's viability for tournament players, which are the vast majority of your readers.
The viability doesnt matter that much for learning a character. Viability is a call you make for yourself or at least thats what i personally think on that. I CAN admit that there are general concepts on defense i could have better gone over.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The viability doesnt matter that much for learning a character. Viability is a call you make for yourself or at least thats what i personally think on that. I CAN admit that there are general concepts on defense i could have better gone over.
I respect your opinion, but when I read or watch a character tutorial, as I frequently do for Rooflemonger's content for Mortal Kombat, MainMainSwe's content for Tekken, and VesperArcade's content for Street Fighter, I personally expect to hear a statement or two about the character's tournament viability, which they always provide. You did not.

I believe that Robocop's defense being the primary weakness has been blown out of proportions in this thread. Robocop can semi-safely escape corners with an aerial charge when used timely and properly. So lack of corner escapes is not the reason why the character is low tier. Furthermore, zoning characters like Cetrion and Shang Tsung do not have access to the best reversal attacks and uppercuts, but they remain effective characters because they have tools in addition to the zoning. Shang Tsung, for example, has plus frames on a couple of normal attacks and strings, an amplified special move that launches, a versatile zoning tool that acts as a physical and an anti-aerial attack, and an excellent anti-zoning tool. Robocop has none of these tools so when the main tool, the low auto, is an unreliable option in match up such as versus Jade and Shang Tsung with shake, he struggles immensely. I would have loved to read more about this analysis as well as the contrast and comparison between "bad" Robocop and "good" Cetrion, Geras, Shang Tsung, and other characters who can zone and do much more in this game. You have offered none of this information, even in the refutation of your criticism from what I keep reading.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge those issues. I'll just respond with yellow text within the quote:
The disconnect i think ive found here is that youre trying argue the character is of a certain power level when that was never even close to where my conversation was. Your "criticism" of my guide essentially boils down to "the character is bad and you didnt say he's bad" when i didnt even say he's GOOD either. Youre reading into the tone of my guide and not the content of it. As far as if that makes my guide worse or better im not sure but fine, you wanna do this? Lets do this.

So immediately, here we go with you rephrasing my argument into something that I never said. All I said in that initial post, and what other people have said as well, was that the guide is "overly optimistic". It harps on his strengths far more than his weaknesses, almost reading like an advertisement Stephanie would put out to sell DLC. I do think the character is hot garbage, but I've explained why in-depth.

1: The idea that EVERY character can just disrespect robocop's options is just completely silly. Are there characters that disproportionally mitigate/eliminate a lot of potential options he has? Absolutely, Jade is a character who exists in the game but he still has ways to get out of things like staggers and spacing situations (see his D4 for the latter and his dashes/mids for the former) He has to make more of a committment for certain but your take is that he doesnt have options when he clearly DOES. The risk reward is going to be in the opponent's favor, that is the nature of low damage characters in general so i cant really argue that point.

Here, too, my argument is taken to the most extreme example to include "EVERY character". I never said that, so once again you're twisting what I'm saying into nonsense and then arguing with that. I think you accused me of straw-manning, but isn't this the exact definition of a straw man argument?

You say he has options, but what are they? If the opponent is outside his u2 or u3 distance, he can't wake up into them. He's forced to just delay, roll, or block. It's like there's an entire core mechanic in this game that he just doesn't get to participate in.

2: As far as button based defense he really doesnt have huge issues in this department, already kinda went over that he can defend himself he just needs more comittment (a weakness but still an option) when it comes to his flawlessblocks i have never had U3 whiff. U2 plenty, but never once has U3 whiffed for me in any of my games. Maybe im missing something but i really just have never had this issue idk what else to say. When he's knocked down he might not have something braindead like a Shao or Skarlet U3 but i tend to put more emphasis on wakeup delays and rolls to mitigate danger. When you delay a wakeup they are forced to either wait or go for a meaty that will answer both delay and normal getup. As a result you can navigate oki better. The character doesnt get THAT much more mauled on defense than other characters with U3s like his. He does need to block more than others in the corner but midscreen you can essentially just leave a lot of stagger situations with backdash or swing with your 10f mid. There really arent many characters in this game as a whole that cant get out of staggers when you commit to the option.

But even when flawless block punishing with u3, what does that do for him? Deals a bit of damage and gets some frame advantage. But with his low damage and bad normals, how is he supposed to capitalize on that? Most characters, you've gotta respect their followup after hitting with u3; it totally stops the opponent's momentum and puts the fight in your favor. RoboCop's does stop momentum, but I wouldn't say he actually gets any big advantage out of it.

3: I ACKNOWLEDGED THIS ALREADY but let me acknowledge it again. Keep in mind this is assuming an even or winning matchup where he can actually use his gameplan. If you need me to clarify that his gameplan needs to work for his gameplan to work in the matchup then there ya go. Robocop's gameplay can create a lot of patience in the opponent which, as a result, means they are inherently open to more throws. If you are trying to get in on robocop and youve closed distance to about his dash ranges you have a TON of options you need to look out for which can cause you to try and play reactive. This also opens you up to sudden changes in the landscape, like robocop dashing an immense distance into a throw with little time to retaliate.

You keep saying you acknowledged these arguments, but I literally pulled all the information I could find from the 1st 3 pages (since you stopped ackowledging my arguments after that). And no, if you're going to assume an "even or winning matchup" when debating these issues then your guide needs a disclaimer that says "ONLY WORKS IN EVEN OR FAVORABLE MATCHUPS". And, just because you "acknowledge" an argument doesn't mean you refuted it or even provided information related to it. Your response is harping on RoboCop's options when within throw range; it doesn't really acknowledge his utter reliance on throws for up-close damage. And since the opponent doesn't need to respect his damage output, it makes it more likely that RoboCop's throw attempts get countered more frequently than other characters.

4: i acknowleged this too outside of the Joker thing but whatever, the character doesnt have a problem opening you up in the neutral thats literally his thing and his random hits in the neutral might not be comparable to a full combo but youre not just eating ONE hit. Take a sequence like getting tagged with amp low shot, blocking a low shot then going for a jump on a read of a low shot and getting slammed by amp rocket. He spent two bars sure but that doesnt matter since meter is LITERALLY FREE and more of a cooldown than anything but more importantly, you just ate close to 30% of your health just trying to get in and now youre back full screen. These kinds of scenarios preseny themselves CONSTANTLY. Youre looking at the character as if he will only get one hit and as a result his hits dont matter. Another example is something as simple as F32 amp flamethrower into a throw reset. Thats 30% there too. He doesnt do no damage just because his singular hits arent huge damage. Peoples health bars can MELT when Robocop has the read on them.

If the opponent blocks low, you literally cannot open them up without throwing. RoboCop doesn't have Noob's frame traps, damage output, or restand into more nonsense. This limits RoboCop to playing a purely footsie-based game. Sure, this works against some characters, but when it doesn't, RoboCop is fucked. I'm not even saying that requiring a character to play footsies is a bad thing. I just don't think RoboCop has the tools to play a serious footsie game against much of the kast.

Take a sequence with any other character. Get tagged with Lao spin, eat 35%+ into Oki that heavily favors Lao, especially considering RoboCop's lack of wakeup defense. With a throw tacked on, like what your doing for RoboCop, that brings that up to around 45% 1-bar mid-screen damage. RoboCop would have to land his optimal launching kombo twice, including spending 2 bars, just to get close to that damage. He would need to hit with 3 entire sequences of 121~flamethrower to come back from that 1 mistake.

Jade and D'Vorah are similar, doing their damage in sequences of low-damage offense. But you know what "sequence" is code for? "Having to open up the opponent 2 or 3 times just to deal 1 kombo's worth of damage." Great, I hit with 121~flamethrower, so I'm at massive advantage. Now will I go mid-attack, 121, throw, backdash, or something crazier?

Yes, meter is free, but that applies to all characters. It still doesn't justify a 2-bar 30% kombo lol.

Yes, he can melt health bars when the opponent guesses wrong repeatedly. But you know who else does that? Literally every other character. The difference is you only get about 3 to 5 mistakes vs most of the kast. Against RoboCop, you have to really fuck up repeatedly for him to melt your health bar.

5: B2 is a BAD BUTTON. I already said it is a BAD combo filler only button. I never said the button wasnt bad. This is a strawman.

Well no, I said it was bad, and you defended it by saying it wasn't meant to be used in the neutral. Our conversation is still on the 1st page lol. Your response was that his buttons aren't gimped and "Also can defend the B2, its not a button meant to be used outside of combos. Those kinds of buttons exist all the time i would just suggest not using it cuz its bad outside of that lol." I maintained that it was still bad because even in kombos it only adds a few percent damage and it whiffs on female hitboxes but you did not acknowledge that argument.

6: acknowledged this too! Crazy i know! His buttons are not "non-functional" his buttons are difficult to use there is a gigantic difference between these two things. Your wording implies they cannot be used. Not functioning means they serve no function which is a blatant falsehood. I dont think i need to explain to you how thats false when i know for a fact during your time playing the character you have used these buttons to serve a function and as have i. I do think he's locked into low shot, flamethrower maybe not AS much due to gas cannister but low shot definitely. Most characters, however, have at least one move they MUST have because of how good it is. Some characters, like Mileena, have TWO just like Robocop.

When I say "non-functional" I just mean that without Low Shot and Flamethrower, his kit simply doesn't work. Apparently UltraDavid is having success without Flamethrower, which is surprising, but he does have ways to get similar effects to Flamethrower, just with less damage. But try playing him without Low Shot. Let me know how functional he feels when he can't check people with bf1. That's what I meant. I do agree that several characters are also locked into specific kustom setups, but that's just whataboutism. Saying character X also has this weaknesses doesn't excuse RoboCop having said weakness

1a. You are again looking at his damage in a vaccuum. You need to see what situations each thing leads into, if you tag someone with one projectile it guarantees you one thing or another. Meaty projectiles, spike trap, oki, whatever it may be. The damage is important but the situations are just as if not MORE important. This also ties into why you cant just play him as a pure zoner which i mention in the damn guide. You have to meet your opponent half way with buttons and throws and dash punish baits. He's not a pure keep away character and THAT is the fundamental issue with a lot of the ideas i see thrown around about the character. Youre going to lose and think he's bad if you just play him pure zoning. Thats. Not. The point.

Has anyone made that point? I certainly haven't, so not sure why your arguing like that's my stance lol. This argument applies to all characters. Only instead of little nibbles out of your health bar like RoboCop does, they're taking big ol chunks with every touch.

2a. I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT TIERS. Point to where i said he was or wasnt bottom 3. If i had the implied air about me talking about his tier placement i can tell you right now that wasnt my intent. All im saying is that he isnt that terrible. We are in MK11, no one is that terrible. Not even remotely.

Lol, there are some serious misunderstandings going down. I never said you did. I literally just asked the question but you and others have refused to answer it. And it's a simple question: If RoboCop isn't terrible, what other characters would you rank below him? The only consensus seems to be Shao Kahn, which would make RoboCop the 2nd worst character in the game.

3a. I didnt see their posts i was too busy paying attention to what you were saying. There was a big influx of like 3 different conversations going on at that time and honestly idk what they have to do with our conversation but yea, literally just didnt see every post thats been made here.

Gotcha.

4a. acknowledged this one too, im starting to think youre the one ignoring arguments. Normals do SIGNIFICANTLY less chip than specials. You can do strings for 5-10 seconds on block and not get close to the amount of chip from specials over 5-10 seconds. Rushdown chip is based in normals/strings and outside of a few specific characters like Joker, specials will end offense. Meanwhile Robocop's chip is almost entirely based in his specials which means, on average, whenever either character is in their respective ideal spacings, Robocop will be doing more chip.

lol and I responded to your response! RoboCop doesn't get to just zone for free; he'll still be taking plenty of zoning chip, himself, in most matchups that he doesn't dominate with bf1. Sure, let's say that he comes out on top with chip every match. What would you say the difference is between the chip he took and the chip his opponent took? RoboCop also has no safe way to chip, other than through zoning, so I think chip probably averages out in the end, but I won't argue further if you think he's coming out on top every match.

I know i might be coming off as a bit AGGRESSIVE rn but i legit acknowledged most of these and you seem to just dismiss my shit. Maybe i missed something but there you go. Im sure i'll get some response like "this is all good on paper but when you get into the REAL game it just doesnt work like that" well it really DOES work like that because again, thats how ive been playing him since his release.

I believe you sincerely think you acknowledged these arguments, but hopefully you can see from my responses why I disagree. In most instances, you were arguing points that I never made. And I'll just repeat this bit: If that's how RoboCop works for you then you should be able to say why. You're not doing shit at random, you know what you're doing. So it should be very easy for you to answer any of these questions.

To touch on "you arent mentioning his weaknesses" his weaknesses are exclusively Mu dependent. They ebb and flow judged solely on who he is fighting and incase you didnt notice, i dont have a matchup section. This is an extensive guide on the framework for the character. I am not going to handhold people through his matchups in a guide not going into his matchups. I still have a ton to learn about his matchups, especially after ultimate came out, that is why it is not extensive as much as to go into thr very specific matchup nuances that create his weaknesses.

Doesn't this argument apply to all characters? I can't think of any strength or weakness that isn't dependent on the MU.

Hope this is enough interaction to be satisfactory.

It's a start! <3

Last edited:

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I also want to offer an apology to @SpaceyPirateUgh for my tone yesterday. It's no excuse, but I've been going through some serious medical and family shit, and yesterday was a very bad day for me, so I was just in total "fuck you" mode. I stand by the information I posted, but I humbly offer a sincere apology for being such an utter dick and I hope you'll eventually rejoin the RoboCop conversation.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Heated discussion on character strength on TYM? I missed this.

@RoboCop Is it possible you are overestimating the amount of chip rushdown characters typically do because you've been playing my D'vorah so much lately, who legitimately does a whole lot of chip.

Can we talk about his anti-air options? This is one of the aspects I've abused the most in matches against the character. He has almost nothing to make me be afraid to stop jumping at him, though wrist rocket can make me not want to use D'vorah's j1 at it's full range since it can be knocked out of the air pretty well if I didn't make a very good read.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Here's the deal with chip: I don't think it's a serious factor. When I talk about "rushdown chip", I only mean to say that RoboCop will also be taking chip from projectiles and close attacks. But either way it's mostly a non-issue.

One argument I keep seeing is that non-specials do very little chip in this game. That's true, but an entire string adds up. RoboCop's Low Shot does 17.5 chip damage. His 121 string, without canceling into a special, deals 12 chip damage. Spawn's 34 string deals the same. If you cancel into a special? The specials I've tested have all done somewhere around that 17.5 mark. So, Spawn's 34~Necro Blast, for example, would do 27.5 chip damage.

You can really see the difference when you just set your opponent to block and look at their life bar. That single, almost entirely safe sequence of 34~bf1 does almost twice as much chip as Low Shot.

Again, not saying RoboCop doesn't win the chip war. I'm just saying that the difference between the chip RoboCop did and the chip his opponent did will be negligible on average. If he literally fires nonstop, he can only deal less than 17.5 chip per second (that's 17.5 out of 1,000 HP, or 1.75% damage). The opponent can walk or dash after each shot, and it's not difficult to wait to see if Low Shot is amplified. At match start, you're only a good 7 or 8 dashes away from the corner. This limits the amount of firing you can safely do to much less than once per second.

I also want to offer an apology to @SpaceyPirateUgh for my tone yesterday. It's no excuse, but I've been going through some serious medical and family shit, and yesterday was a very bad day for me, so I was just in total "fuck you" mode. I stand by the information I posted, but I humbly offer a sincere apology for being such an utter (soap bar in my mouth) and I hope you'll eventually rejoin the RoboCop conversation.
It's no worries I try not to take anything too seriously, it's the FGC after all, though I hope you and yours are well. Nothing will deter my love of Robocop and in fact I've been in the lab a bit since yesterday with a truly pathetic build: low9, command grab, OCP charge. I have found this pretty effective in limited matches so far but not enough of a sample size to really know yet.

The elephant in the room is of course, no flamethrower. I miss it, yes, but hit confirming into the cobra cannon isn't the worst thing in the world, you get about 220 for a bar off f32 which is big-time for Murphy anyway. Every once in a while I'll mess up the hit-confirm and tag someone with the KB accidentally which is awesome.

So yeah, no restand/damage but I think there is a lot of value in the grab still. As an ender off his launchers, it gets him up to acceptable mk11 combo damage. But in neutral or closeup it gives him a real tool that I think he needs. I definitely hear eveeyone on his tough time once the opponent is in and landing any button, or ticking the grab off of 1 or d1 ends the close encounter, so to speak.

It really can't be said enough how handy mid cmd grabs are in this game, everyone has been conditioned to duck by now. This move really empowers b3 as a solo button also imo. You get 13 frames of hit advantage, it's safe, and all they can do is jump. Robocops movement is my favorite thing about him and b3 pairs really well with how easily he can get in and out so when it hits you're in a really good spot, or just finish it with amped low9. Altogether I think the grab solves enough problems that it might be worth the flamethrower absence, especially since after landing it you're set up to create the obstacle course again. Also the grab is excellent after blocked shoulder grenades of for some reason you have gone for the set-up, which i admit i almost never have done.

I originally ran this with cheval but after having success with the grab I decided to give OCP charge a real look to get in more easily and omg I've been missing out. It's ridiculous in terms of priority and doubles down on his biggest strength, mobility and adds a KB that you can get what seems like on a consistent basis. I'm not a big jumper usually, again I main erron so if I'm in the air it's usually an input error but instant air charge and jump back charge are big time weapons are good pairings with the zoning. It's a fun build and damage isn't nearly as much of an issue as I thought it would be. I'll keep tooling around and report in.

Oh one other thing about the charge, it is a deterrent for people coming in, which is huge for Robo for many reasons but most particularly, meter generation. Even a few seconds jumping back or neutral hopping makes a big difference for a meter hog like robo.

The button that i really want to figure out is s4. I mostly use it on blocked jumpins right now but the +6 is so tantalizing, but the pushback kills me. Is anyone using this regularly? It could set up f4 and b3 a little more.

Last edited:

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path

What's your guy's thoughts on this Robocop gameplay?
Burrito Voorhees putting in work with him. Shao Kahn too. You might be interested in checking his youtube channel. He has videos where he's cleaning house with Shao in a KOTH with those same people, even against their mains.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
There was a hotfix.

Equipping the terminal strip (i.e., command grab) with the flamethrower is now tournament legal because a bug in the corner that allowed the terminal strip to be guaranteed after the flamethrower has been fixed.

There was a hotfix.

Equipping the terminal strip (i.e., command grab) with the flamethrower is now tournament legal because a bug in the corner that allowed the terminal strip to be guaranteed after the flamethrower has been fixed.
source?

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
There was a hotfix.

Does this mean that Scorpion's 84% reset with interactable after demon breath has also been removed?

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Is Terminal Strip + Flamethrower a worthwhile loadout to begin with? Flamethrower really seems like a move you could do without

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Does this mean that Scorpion's 84% reset with interactable after demon breath has also been removed?
I think so. Raptor posted a short video on Twitter jumping out of a regular throw in the corner.

Is Terminal Strip + Flamethrower a worthwhile loadout to begin with? Flamethrower really seems like a move you could do without
EX flamethrower is +17 on hit and connects after every string. You have a mini vortex with throws, command grab, f+3,2, b+2, etc.

I still think the character is below average, but he might have moved up a tier.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
I'm really appreciating the data and conversation, dudes, keep it coming. I'm still on the fence about putting any time into this character.