What's new

The Amplifier Meterburn Thread

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I've been playing since the first MK on the SNES. Not sure what that has to do with anything though. XD
Oh I thought you were new because you found it awkward to use the block button to EX moves my bad lol. So experience was the reason I mentioned me playing since MK9, hence why it's not awkward to me lol

Thracian_Priest

The troll awakens...
We have more than enough moves to learn:

> 3 base variations per character with their unique moves and combos
> 5 krushing blows per character; every krushing blow has its own requirements
> God knows how many brutalities per character; again every brutality has its own requirements
> At least 2 fatalities for every character; there might be even more, judging from the fact that the customization system allows you to select 2 fatalities per variation (out of how many?) Stage fatalities, if any, will require different inputs
> A completely new fighting engine as a whole

So, do we need a complicated amplification system? Hell, no!

BTW, I'm not necessarily supporting the block-to-amplify idea, but I'm definitely demanding an universal input for all characters or at least an universal command for each character's entire moveset.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Fair enough. It just never felt right to me. To make the amplified moves more like "target combos" sounds a lot better to me than having to press Block.
Yeah I think it's going to be a good change that will eradicate a lot of input errors and make the game run really smooth. Which is always good for competitive players (looking at you, day 1 of Inj 2 haha)

> God knows how many brutalities per character; again every brutality has its own requirements
> At least 2 fatalities for every character; there might be even more, judging from the fact that the customization system allows you to select 2 fatalities per variation (out of how many?) Stage fatalities, if any, will require different inputs

So, do we need a complicated amplification system? Hell, no!

BTW, I'm not necessarily supporting the block-to-amplify idea, but I'm definitely demanding an universal input for all characters or at least an universal command for each character's entire moveset.
what is complicated for you can be easier for others.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I mean, if it isn't within your skill-level to learn what button to press to amplify a move...
It's perfectly within my abilities to cover a few dozens km on foot, but having an option to take a ride is still appreciated.

Speaking of comparing to strings and combos, I was also always in favor of removing excessive buttons from strings (like 2u3d3 on a character that has like 1 string off 2 - like, why?), and now that I see a FG doing well with its extremely streamlined combos (DBFZ) I don't have any doubt that it is the way to go.

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard

It's really not that much to remember.

Also, with combos being "significantly" shorter, I would argue that there are less inputs to remember when compared to previous games.

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
It doesn't matter whether it's too much or not. There's a simpler way and that should be enough of a reason by itself.
Simple isn't always best. For simplicity, MK11 can go back to 1 variation, but NRS believes variations add value to the game. This change isn't as simple as one button, but imo it adds value because it seems fluid and its refreshing.

I would like to add that Ed Boon stated that the system is being evaluated but he mentioned that he wants it simple and not something requiring "dexterity". It sounds like he's okay with the change as long the player doesn't have to twist his/her fingers in a knot to execute it.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I never want to see auto-combos in MK.
Okay, I'm not really advocating for literal auto-combos, just for minimalistic inputs for moves, but since you've mentioned that...

Such opinions were often voiced and they are why I was always in doubt on whether it's a good idea for a FG to touch the holy cow of execution barrier. After all, FGs live by their vets, and like you said business is rational. But now that an experienced and well-known developer armed with recognizable franchise made this experiment and it was a smashing success, I'm not sure if clinging to old beliefs is worth anything anymore. It sure has been shown that controls which are complicated for the sake of being complicated (relatively, in this case) are more of a hindrance than necessity.

Simple isn't always best. For simplicity, MK11 can go back to 1 variation, but NRS believes variations add value to the game.
Because those things are actually in the game, contributing to situations that can occur in it, diversifying it, providing extra ways for to interact with each other. Interface doesn't really contribute anything to that, what's with your manipulations with controller happening outside of the game and not affecting your opponent in any way.

Thracian_Priest

The troll awakens...
Businesses are rational. They make decisions based on their analyses
Analyze the response from me and the majority of people who tried the game at the Reveal event. :)

I'm willing to bet 20 bucks that the current EX system will be axed before the beta. I need only 5 people to take my bet and... they gonna pay for my Premium Edition. lol

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Okay, I'm not really advocating for literal auto-combos, just for minimalistic inputs for moves, but since you've mentioned that...

Such opinions were often voiced and they are why I was always in doubt on whether it's a good idea for a FG to touch the holy cow of execution barrier. After all, FGs live by their vets, and like you said business is rational. But now that an experienced and well-known developer armed with recognizable franchise made this experiment and it was a smashing success, I'm not sure if clinging to old beliefs is worth anything anymore. It sure has been shown that controls which are complicated for the sake of being complicated (relatively, in this case) are more of a hindrance than necessity.
Just want to say here that while I'm not against simplifying inputs to a degree, I'm extremely skeptical of stuff like auto-combos contributing to the success of DBFZ as opposed to people buying because they're nostalgic as fuck about Dragonball. Game still had a tremendous drop-off like most games do(even more than like tekken 7 which has a lot of legacy mechanics) and I'm really not convinced that if in another universe auto-combos didn't exist the game would have a much faster drop. There comes to a certain point where simplifying things yields extremely diminishing returns.

MK vs DC had pro moves which were changed to MB block because pro moves were too hard to execute. I loved pro moves and it showed real skill online. Hopefully this new hold button to amplify will be like pro moves version 2

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
But now that an experienced and well-known developer armed with recognizable franchise made this experiment and it was a smashing success, I'm not sure if clinging to old beliefs is worth anything anymore. It sure has been shown that controls which are complicated for the sake of being complicated (relatively, in this case) are more of a hindrance than necessity.
People also like those mobile games where you just have to tap the screen rapidly, just so they can watch some numbers go up and get that endorphin rush. I don't mind other fighting games are like that as well, just don't want to see it in Mortal Kombat.

Not all games need to be easy just for the sake of being easy. It's like handing out participation trophies to everyone. Yay, we're all winners! Then there's no reason to put any kind of effort into it, because... why would you?

I like to pick up a game and learn how it plays, learn how to use a character, learn their combos and what moves are good at certain situations. Sure, there are games I can't play because they are too difficult for me, but that's alright! I don't need to be good at every game I pick up! But I like the fact that I need to put some effort into them, otherwise it just gets dull.

Not every game needs to be easy.

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
perhaps their intention is to have certain specials that can be amplified in multiple ways? Maybe a special amplified with B3 will allow the attacker to retreat for safety, and amplifying it with a F3 could apply more pressure on block?

We should probably play the game first, before petitioning against changes we don't yet fully understand...

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
Analyze the response from me and the majority of people who tried the game at the Reveal event. :)

I'm willing to bet 20 bucks that the current EX system will be axed before the beta. I need only 5 people to take my bet and... they gonna pay for my Premium Edition. lol
I get what you're saying, but most people don't like change at first.

I believe NRS might leave it in the beta though to see what the masses think of all the changes. If they change it back after the test run then I will support it because it was thoroughly tested and proven to not add value to their product.