What's new

The Amplifier Meterburn Thread

Thracian_Priest

The troll awakens...
If they change it back after the test run then I will support it because it was thoroughly tested and proven to not add value to their product.
I respect your scientific trial-and-error approach. Some people need to try shit to know it's shit.

But I prefer my common sense approach combined with some intuition. I don't have to eat shit to know that shit is not meant to be eaten.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Simple isn't always best. For simplicity, MK11 can go back to 1 variation, but NRS believes variations add value to the game.
We're talking about interface specifically. With interface, simple is the best, as long as you have full and sufficiently precise control of all required functions.

@HeavyNorse You too are talking about gameplay whereas I specifically only talk about controls and nothing else.

I don't like the block button to be used in 3 different ways in MKX. When you want to block after a super and you end up wasting a bar of meter. Or when you want to dash block and you end up runnning and getting countered. Or when you want to run cancel a move and you end up meter burning the move. I'm happy that they changed that, now : block button = blocking.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Or when you want to dash block and you end up runnning and getting countered. Or when you want to run cancel a move and you end up meter burning the move.
IMO it's a problem with terrible implementation of both running and kara cancelling in NRS games. There was no reason to use Block for those.

But your point on accidentally MBing is valid. I just think the MB function could be done in a more practical manner than unique button combination for every move. For one, we still have useless stance flip button, and now that MBed specials are not something you use as wakeup attacks (so no conflict with knockdown options using that button), nothing gets in the way of using it for MB. Alternatively, pressing respective attack button after special is used can be another decent option.

for those who have concerns about harder execution or gameplay difficulty
fighting games always has been kind of an prestige gaming genre.
in order to play an fg you need execution in the first place. without it you simply can not play them.
someone who plays a fg for the first time need to master execution first in order to be able to play at all.
execution is therefore the first from various basic skills that must be mastered.
keep this in mind!
i still remember when i dragon punched someone as an anti air back then 1992 in the arcades for the first time.
its was such an "wow" feeling, i was like YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH
i posted this to show you guys or better to remember you that execution is one main aspect that makes fighting games fun! every time you mastered something, you win! its a challenge that belongs to the joy of playing fighting games! it defines you as a fighting game player! dont forget it!
those of you who are concerned about higher execution requirements or gameplay difficulty what ever it is:
dont give up already! take the challenge, practice as much as you can and start every game session in the practice mode first! trust me it is worth! make it part of your journey!
trust me, the moment you land something on an opponent you did practice a lot before, you will be like: YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS
:r:d:qtr:DOGE

there are also other aspects in my opinion. posting later because it is kind of controversial and im at work now lul

Last edited:

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I personally don't understand why it was necessary. But I din't mind it really. It'll be an MK11 thing where you would have to memorize some more inputs.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
As someone who generally plays all the characters he can, I would much rather see the block to MB return because having to learn extra inputs for each and every character is going to make everything a super huge pain in the ass
Character Loyalists = Master Race

It's our time, boys :DOGE

Last edited:

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Yeah this make sense. I can see it being very frustrating to try to block after a short duration amplifiable special.

Though we still have other buttons that would be better for this like the stance switch button.
Yeah i was thinking about the stance switch button too, inb4 that button is also assigned to some new mechanic we haven't seen yet
:DOGE

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I doubt it's bad enough for people to drop stuff in important matches because of it. It's more of a day-1-2 hassle. Unnecessary and annoying IMO, but hardly detrimental to that extent.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Still find it odd that they universalized everyone's wakeups, everyone's meter build, x-ray/fatal blows, and then turned around and took away the universal ex system.
Same, it's almost shocking. Hell the universal wakeups are all different (ex roll left or right, pop up, ground lunge) yet all done with the stance switch button. I fail to understand why the EX moves aren't done with that useless stance button. That would keep the controls simple, while removing the errors involved around the block button if that was the intent. I am convinced someone high up in NRS is in love with the uselessness of the stance switch button.

With that being said, I'm sure we'll all learn the controls fairly quickly. The guys at the event played a couple of hours at best and were able to do them just fine.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
We have more than enough moves to learn:

> 3 base variations per character with their unique moves and combos
> 5 krushing blows per character; every krushing blow has its own requirements
> God knows how many brutalities per character; again every brutality has its own requirements
> At least 2 fatalities for every character; there might be even more, judging from the fact that the customization system allows you to select 2 fatalities per variation (out of how many?) Stage fatalities, if any, will require different inputs
> A completely new fighting engine as a whole

So, do we need a complicated amplification system? Hell, no!

BTW, I'm not necessarily supporting the block-to-amplify idea, but I'm definitely demanding an universal input for all characters or at least an universal command for each character's entire moveset.
Krushing Blows are requirements, the default option it so hold the executed button in case you want them to happen.

However 2 Krushing Blows are universals among all cast, if you try to tech a throw and you teching it wrong, the opponent will or can activate a crushing blow because you failed to tech.
Every character can KB on uppercuts on counter hit.

There is no execution requirement to memorize that among 3 variations, they all work the same.

Baraka's KB work all mostly as punishing, pretty sure Skarlet also has a string which KB if it hits as a punish.

So those thing's aren't really that hard.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Just want to say here that while I'm not against simplifying inputs to a degree, I'm extremely skeptical of stuff like auto-combos contributing to the success of DBFZ as opposed to people buying because they're nostalgic as fuck about Dragonball. Game still had a tremendous drop-off like most games do(even more than like tekken 7 which has a lot of legacy mechanics) and I'm really not convinced that if in another universe auto-combos didn't exist the game would have a much faster drop. There comes to a certain point where simplifying things yields extremely diminishing returns.
DBFZ had a big drop off due to local tournaments being shutdown via cease and desist orders from the owners of the Dragon Ball series. Once that happened, players were turned off because what was the point of getting good for tournament play in a game that had no local tournaments? T.O's were told that they needed approval before running DBFZ tournaments. Getting approval was apparently not easy so many just opted to do without the game.

Namco Bandai's Harada san has since taken over the esports aspect of the game and has repaired much of the damage before it was too late.

Xelz

Go over there!
I'd personally like to try the new MB mechanic in an open demo/beta before dismissing it. Plus, this new approach actually might be more friendly toward casuals. When MKX launched my wife kept accidentally triggering MB specials when she meant to block after a special. When she asked why her meter was gone, I'd answer, "Well, you hit the block button," to which she replied, "Of course I did, because I wanted to block." That led to a confusing conversation about why the block button doesn't always block, how it could actually make you run or trigger offensive abilities, and then why in the world is it called the "block" button if it doesn't always block, and so on. It could be less confusing if the block button just... blocks.

In a perfect world, I'd like to have a menu option to choose between block or command inputs for MB :)