What's new

The Amplifier Meterburn Thread

@villainous monk
I agree. 100%

I honestly can't see them doing that until a majour patch or seasonal update like what they did in previous games. Game of the year editions and whatnots.

Even though. I can see why people are worked up. Their anxious. Inpatient. Eager to see and play the game and tons of other things.

Regardless you want or feel the reasoning of why they did this or that. I understand.

But they do this EVERY SINGLE GAME! It works or it doesn't. Again... The reasoning could also be they want to learn from their previous games too. Like the many input errors we've been complaining about since mk9.

Or the fact the frames don't gel with what your exicuting. Could be it's more simple to make blk just blk. Maybe NOT mapping more buttons or inputs to moves requiring more or less exicution, in situational times during the match.

Who. Really. Knows.

But this petition... Is dumb. Go petition for lower taxes or separate lines for coffees and specialty drinks at Starbucks.

Not this
yes we must definitely figure out why they changed it. for sure not just to make it more complicated for no reason, lul.

@YoungTeezy 305

I think this change will serve to refresh the game a bit. It will feel new and exciting (in addition to all the other changes).
yeah thats true. ex specials do exist since ages in almost every fighting game.
nrs new concept about this is definitely refreshing from this point of view.
it obviously will take some time to adjust but its worth for sure, no doubt about it!

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I understand why people don't like it, but I also really hate BLK as the mb button.

I would rather you just double tap w/e face button you use to activate the special, with a few exceptions like chop chop where it actually does make sense to mash.

So like BF1,1 is the MB version.
Simple, and works for both controller and stick.

I understand why people don't like it, but I also really hate BLK as the mb button.

I would rather you just double tap w/e face button you use to activate the special, with a few exceptions like chop chop where it actually does make sense to mash.

i think this could be an issue due to negative edge?
one button ex moves is new to me afaik none fighting game have it.
would be interesting!

RYX

BIG PUSHER

is there a reason to ever not mash it for that feature to be worth keeping?

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I think the new mechanics are good. I don't really think its nothing new I suppose.

In previous games as we know enhanced moves were tied to the block button. So was breakers and x rays.
One button with all those functions and moves made things kind of interesting. It worked. No doubt but NRS is trying out something new called Amplifying.

I think honestly this new way of enhanced or meter burning moves is very useful. I don't think it's has complicated as many tend to think. Maybe it is. We'll see.

But we can't tell yet. Mostly because we've not really gotten our precious hands on the game yet. We can't test it for ourselves.

Basically I really think this is the best way to fix many problems in previous games. The input errors. The situations of canceling strings into mb specials or vise versa. Tons of other things we've said we wanted to fix.

Also I think it'll require less exicution when your on stick has your not traveling has much depending on your button mapping.

Less exicution as well since it's seems to tie into a input and a button press which guarantees what you want instead of holding down blk and exicuting your command or string and getting something else entirely.

We've all been there before.

So I think this is a great idea and I sincerely hope we all keep an open mind and just be thankful that they choose to try something. Even if it's bold, new, daunting or different.

Otherwise we will still be complaining about all the issuses we delt with in all the previous games.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
To the people whining about this

It is quite literally just turning special moves into strings.

That is literally it.

It isn’t rocket science.

Every single one that we know of so far has a logical progression.

Subzero’s amplified slide is a grab so you press the grab buttons, scorpions amplified spear is an elbow with his off hand, so you press the other punch button.

It’s not like these are random commands.

It’s the same as strings, in MKX if a string ended in a grab, you press the grab buttons. If the string has a jump in it(like one of Jacqui’s) you hit up and the next button, etc.

Ravenous Mileena in MKX had special moves that required secondary inputs after landing them, worked perfectly fine.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
To the people whining about this

It is quite literally just turning special moves into strings.

That is literally it.

It isn’t rocket science.

Every single one that we know of so far has a logical progression.

Subzero’s amplified slide is a grab so you press the grab buttons, scorpions amplified spear is an elbow with his off hand, so you press the other punch button.

It’s not like these are random commands.

It’s the same as strings, in MKX if a string ended in a grab, you press the grab buttons. If the string has a jump in it(like one of Jacqui’s) you hit up and the next button, etc.

Ravenous Mileena in MKX had special moves that required secondary inputs after landing them, worked perfectly fine.
Yeah pretty much this. This is getting a little silly.
Also, another thread wasn't necessary imo.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Yeah pretty much this. This is getting a little silly.
People are calling it a “new mechanic” when it isn’t new or a mechanic.

It’s just turning special moves into strings.

Of all the dumb shit people have been moaning and whining about online since the reveal this one is by far the dumbest, most inconsequential change that shouldn’t even be worth thinking about because everyone will get used to it by the end of the first week.

Kroaken

People are calling it a “new mechanic” when it isn’t new or a mechanic.

It’s just turning special moves into strings.

Of all the dumb shit people have been moaning and whining about online since the reveal this one is by far the dumbest, most inconsequential change that shouldn’t even be worth thinking about because everyone will get used to it by the end of the first week.
Yeah this one is pretty silly.
I've seen two arguments:

1.) It artificially stops me from maining the random select button. - Well, listen here you entitled unloyal monstrosity, so does the characters having different combos to begin with. Where's the petition to make all combo routes the same across the roster?

2.) It's too hard. - To which I laugh. Like a lot. I'm sorry. I don't mean to be condescending but... I mean c'mon. It REALLY isn't. And even if it were, that's a good thing for a fighting game. There have been articles and videos ad nauseum explaining why the diluting and dumbing down of fighting games is bad. Maybe this gives you something to strive for if you DONT have it down week one.

it wont hard at all to do. just feels like adding a feature just because they could. there was nothing wrong with the old way and no one was asking for it to change. props for forward thinking, but I hope they revert back to normal

Kroaken

it wont hard at all to do. just feels like adding a feature just because they could. there was nothing wrong with the old way and no one was asking for it to change. props for forward thinking, but I hope they revert back to normal
I don't recall running into it, but several people have already pointed out problems with the old method that included accidentally meterburning a special with the intention of simply blocking after the special instead. There were others, but they escape me. To say there were zero issues is intellectually dishonest if you've been reading along.

I don't recall running into it, but several people have already pointed out problems with the old method that included accidentally meterburning a special with the intention of simply blocking after the special instead. There were others, but they escape me. To say there were zero issues is intellectually dishonest if you've been reading along.
well be prepared for the new wave of people saying they cant time their ex moves with the extra button inputs. it's a lose lose anyway, people will complain about whatever is put in to the final build.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
I would like to point out one crucial disadvantage of having the block button as a universal enhance/amplify button. Anyone who played Quan Chi for example know how terrible it can get if you whiff a rune on your opponent, you are left completely open to full combo punish unless you immediately block, but whoops, if you press block you'll just enhance the rune instead of blocking and you'll eat the punish anyways and lose a bar of meter.

Most of mk11 characters are like quan chi in that regard, they have a lot of specials that can be enhanced after they come out, therefore it was made tide to different buttons instead of block so that you wouldn't accidentally enhance when you actually wanted to block after a whiff. my two cents.

Kroaken

I guess I'll post this here as well since we decided we needed another thread on this.

Those of you that are pro-block button, Boon has gone on record as being for the lowering of the barrier for entry level players so you might very well still get it that way since the system wasn't concrete.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
NRS loves casuals. I have extremely high amounts of doubt they would make execution requirements harder or more confusing without some type of legitimate gameplay issue, obvious or more subtle.

Some of these arguments about characters getting control cucked with blocked MB make sense to me. There might be more that we don't know because we obviously don't have the game.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I guess I'll post this here as well since we decided we needed another thread on this.

Those of you that are pro-block button, Boon has gone on record as being for the lowering of the barrier for entry level players so you might very well still get it that way since the system wasn't concrete.
I really hope they don't return, that system is terrible.
Imagine how is that you want to block and you end up enhancing your special.
you want an enhanced special after you block only to not come out.

The flawless block system also takes advantage of this change, i would honestly advise people to chill and wait having contact with the game.