What's new

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 General Discussion

Thanks anyways Blidslash, i'm still learning so anything helps. :)
Yeah, if someone is wave dashing you can sidestep them only when they attack. Do it too early and it tracks. Electrics are pretty hard to sidestep though, best to duck them if you can make a read. And if someone is wave dashing in your face, just hopkick (or throw out a safe, quick, mid). :cool:

Keep in mind players can bait a reaction by wavedashing and then immediately backdashing when they get within punching range, to get you to whiff.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Yeah, if someone is wave dashing you can sidestep them only when they attack. Do it too early and it tracks. Electrics are pretty hard to sidestep though, best to duck them if you can make a read. And if someone is wave dashing in your face, just hopkick (or throw out a safe, quick, mid). :cool:

Keep in mind players can bait a reaction by wavedashing and then immediately backdashing when they get within punching range, to get you to whiff.
This is correct. Wavedashing will realign them, you can't just sidestep and force everything to whiff. You'd have to SS right as they throw the electric. In that case, you're probably better off ducking to stop both a hellsweep and duck an electric.

One of the best things you can do is throw out a quick safe mid, as was said by people above. Something like a generic d/f+1 will do just fine. A wavedash is a mixup and intimidation tool. They want you to be scared and block so they can run train. And yeah, sometimes you definitely need to make a read and block. But other times you can give em a little poke to stop them.

I played some matches yesterday, it was fun. Though I need help against Julia. One of her moves/strings has good frame advantage, and I'm not sure what to do. It's the second time it's happened to me, and I got perfected twice. Anyone know any options out of the frame trap, or what I'm supposed to look for? (it's the move where she spins after a string: I believe is 3+4 after quatercircle 1)

~NAKM~

Tekken, SF4: AE, BB: CP, and Persona 4: Arena
I played some matches yesterday, it was fun. Though I need help against Julia. One of her moves/strings has good frame advantage, and I'm not sure what to do. It's the second time it's happened to me, and I got perfected twice. Anyone know any options out of the frame trap, or what I'm supposed to look for? (it's the move where she spins after a string: I believe is 3+4 after quatercircle 1)
That would be Jaycee and Michelle's shotgun mix-ups ( D, D/F+1~3 (or 4). Very annoying when used right. Your best bet is to block her D, D/F+1~spin and then quickly throw out a generic 1, 2 jab to put a stop to the mix-up. Things to watch out for after Shotgun spin:

1 - if this moves CH's, say good bye to half your life

throws - when Jaycee/Michelle execute the spin they can easily buffer a throw immediately after

ducking into FC mix-ups - one thing the bitches will try and do is get you to duck to eat a hop kick. DON'T! Their lows suck anyway.

Be careful though cuz they can follow up the spin with a 1 which will possibly trade hits with your jab. Worse case scenario, the 1 will CH and they get an easy half life juggle. It's all about reading your opponent, anticipating what shotgun mix-up they'll do, and punish accordingly.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
That would be Jaycee and Michelle's shotgun mix-ups ( D, D/F+1~3 (or 4). Very annoying when used right. Your best bet is to block her D, D/F+1~spin and then quickly throw out a generic 1, 2 jab to put a stop to the mix-up. Things to watch out for after Shotgun spin:

1 - if this moves CH's, say good bye to half your life

throws - when Jaycee/Michelle execute the spin they can easily buffer a throw immediately after

ducking into FC mix-ups - one thing the bitches will try and do is get you to duck to eat a hop kick. DON'T! Their lows suck anyway.

Be careful though cuz they can follow up the spin with a 1 which will possibly trade hits with your jab. Worse case scenario, the 1 will CH and they get an easy half life juggle. It's all about reading your opponent, anticipating what shotgun mix-up they'll do, and punish accordingly.
How you hold up against Kevin online? Play him yet?

~NAKM~ Thanks for the tips. Just letting everyone know I probably won't be online all this week unfortunately for all the guys that will be getting Tekken Tag 2 for Christmas. I should be available next week Wednesday. Though if your looking for someone to play please add your name to the PSN or XBL players list thread. :)

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
Just curious on something. You guys that are well versed in multiple characters, how deep do you memorize your punishes?
just the basic i10 - i19? or do you still try to find setups for that random i26-i29 situation where the opponent did something completely brainless and you wanna go for the swag combo?

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Just curious on something. You guys that are well versed in multiple characters, how deep do you memorize your punishes?
just the basic i10 - i19? or do you still try to find setups for that random i26-i29 situation where the opponent did something completely brainless and you wanna go for the swag combo?
Right now, since most of us are just starting the best is to work with basic and combo punishers for the most common situations. Personally, I'd wait to be more experienced before trying crazy and circumstancial stuff. I mean, you gotta go for the safe and guaranteed stuff to win as much as possible to keep you motivated.

For the most part, a move that is over -20 on block can be punished by all your i15+ launchers/combo starters.

It really depends on the situation as well as the animation you see on block.

-If a character goes for a launcher you can usually jab punish it on block(1,2).
-If you block a low move, your best bet is to punish with a WS (While standing move).
-If you block a low move, and your opponent staggers after the block, this means it's a free launch punish.
-Sidestepping a move (especially long in duration like a launcher) almost guarantees a launch punish when timed correctly.
-Ducking a high move is usually punished by a WS move or WS launcher.
-Moves that stun on counterhit are important to know as well for your character, so you can know how to follow up with big damage.

Not sure if this is fully accurate, but this is what I usually go by.:)

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
So I play on a play station one pad that doesn't have joysticks. Id appreciate some help on making a control scheme, I tried to make my own but I could not figure it out. Some controls said like lp/rp/lk/rk all assigned to one button.

The buttons I have to work with are 1,2,3,4, L1,L2,R1,R2.

So I play on a play station one pad that doesn't have joysticks. Id appreciate some help on making a control scheme, I tried to make my own but I could not figure it out. Some controls said like lp/rp/lk/rk all assigned to one button.

The buttons I have to work with are 1,2,3,4, L1,L2,R1,R2.
I haven't messed with the control sceme honestly, so I can't help at the moment. Possibly DanCock could help you out with that. :)

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
I just wanna say Roger Jr is very underrated.
I've found a new toy to mollywhop mishimas with.
And it wears size 27 Jordans :D

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
I just started playing ranked 2 days ago, and got 3 straight wins. Currently 3-1, pretty sure it's going to get harder once I reach 1st dan.
Its harder once you play a mishima that knows basic strings, or a hwoarang/baek who maps every button on their stick to a kick and rolls their face across it while twirling the stick around.

Its harder once you play a mishima that knows basic strings, or a hwoarang/baek who maps every button on their stick to a kick and rolls their face across it while twirling the stick around.
I play hwoarang.... Johnny Cage Kappa Test.jpg

...but I know what's safe and unsafe. Most of hwoarang's/baek's mixups can either be sidestepped or ducked into a full combo. If you punish a flamingo mixup heavily, most players aren't going to abuse it, or if they do, only for a short while. Most important is that you don't want to block hwoarang's jab out of flamingo; it leaves hwoarang plus on block where he continues doing more shinnegins. He's almost like Johnny Cage in a sense, just with more 50/50's and without sunglasses. Johnny Cage Kappa Test.jpg

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
and less girly...lol
but i digress, The way I see competent Hwo/baeks is more like a Kenshi style of gameplay.
They can essentially remove blocking from their playbook when theyre a mobile wall of feet.
I really need to explore Hwo again bc i havent played him since T3, but it looks as if you dont
even need to learn youre mixups from each stance bc kick enough and youll eventually get
that low or mid you need to get in.

and vs baek you might as well backdash into the wall at the start since hes just going to carry you there anyway.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Ranked doesn't start getting hard til you reach Pugilist and above. Either because the opponent is lagging or he/she is actually legitimately good at Tekken.
Except for newcomers like most of us here. That shit starts hard and stays hard, lol.