What's new

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 General Discussion

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
im amazed at the wins i get with basic mist step spinning demon mixups, i thought kazuya would be popular and the major unsafe moves would be actually unsafe to use lol

i need to learn fast back dashing and sidestepping, atm i sidestep but still get hit by MANY moves that im sure do not track, i must be doing something wrong because im always setting up an ewgf whiff punish

also picking up yoshimixup

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
does anyone know how to consistenly korean backdash? my version is a bit faster than dahsing back but not that much
That's like asking "does anyone know how to consistently throw like Peyton Manning?"

True consistent KBD is one of the hardest techniques in this game and is not necessary to win until the highest levels of play. You can get by just fine doing bb~d~bb~d very quickly to retreat.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
That's like asking "does anyone know how to consistently throw like Peyton Manning?"

True consistent KBD is one of the hardest techniques in this game and is not necessary to win until the highest levels of play. You can get by just fine doing bb~d~bb~d very quickly to retreat.
i wanna do it as fast as aris

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
No problem. Just do what he did - spend 10 years playing and you should be good to go!
whats with all the negativity and macho tekken bullshit? its simple execution and i asked for tips from people who can do it often.

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
whats with all the negativity and macho tekken bullshit? its simple execution and i asked for tips from people who can do it often.
Do this:
bb, qcb (neutral) b, qcb, (neutral) b, qcb (neutral) etc.

Perform the first qbc in the middle of your first dash. You're using a pad right?

Skkra

Hahahaha I'm not giving you macho Tekken bullshit. I was being completely serious - you already have the correct notation. You posted it above when you mentioned you want to get better at it. I gave you an alternative notation that should work almost equally well at anything but the highest competitive levels and can be done extremely quickly with much less practice.

You're even correct in THIS VERY POST that you've used to flame me. IT'S SIMPLE EXECUTION. YOU'RE ALREADY DOING IT RIGHT. And you know what the trick to consistent and blazing fast execution of a difficult notation is? Practice. Constantly. For extended periods of time. Like Aris. Who has been doing this motion over and over and over FOR A DECADE. Just like I said.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Hahahaha I'm not giving you macho Tekken bullshit. I was being completely serious - you already have the correct notation. You posted it above when you mentioned you want to get better at it. I gave you an alternative notation that should work almost equally well at anything but the highest competitive levels and can be done extremely quickly with much less practice.

You're even correct in THIS VERY POST that you've used to flame me. IT'S SIMPLE EXECUTION. YOU'RE ALREADY DOING IT RIGHT. And you know what the trick to consistent and blazing fast execution of a difficult notation is? Practice. Constantly. For extended periods of time. Like Aris. Who has been doing this motion over and over and over FOR A DECADE. Just like I said.
so im flaming you because i said youre being negative and overestimating tekken?

except aris uses stick, have you seen how fast you can turn that shit? its one movement for the ball and 3 for the pad

thanks guys, now to practice the movement next week, gonna be playing in a mk+ttt2 tourney

Skkra

People: am I being negative and rude? I hope not. I feel like I've been nothing but polite and helpful in everything I've said about Tekken. I'm sure people in this thread can vouch that I've taken the time to answer question as well as many, many PMs to help players.

I'm not here to be a jerk. I barely even get to play Tekken anymore since I'm too busy. I hop on TYM when I get a moment at the office, and try and help new players. I have no incentive to be rude, a troll, or elitist.

If people in this thread think I'm unhelpful or rude, I'll gladly stop posting and leave it. I can be studying SQL if people here think I'm a bother. I'm an adult, it won't hurt my feelings or anything if thats the case.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
People: am I being negative and rude? I hope not. I feel like I've been nothing but polite and helpful in everything I've said about Tekken. I'm sure people in this thread can vouch that I've taken the time to answer question as well as many, many PMs to help players.

I'm not here to be a jerk. I barely even get to play Tekken anymore since I'm too busy. I hop on TYM when I get a moment at the office, and try and help new players. I have no incentive to be rude, a troll, or elitist.

If people in this thread think I'm unhelpful or rude, I'll gladly stop posting and leave it. I can be studying SQL if people here think I'm a bother. I'm an adult, it won't hurt my feelings or anything if thats the case.
I didn't say either unhelpful or rude, I said I found your posts negative and elitist, your posts were helpfull.

I don't understand the threat of leaving the thread and making me look like the bad guy and I certainly don't like it

Skkra

I didn't say either unhelpful or rude, I said I found your posts negative and elitist, your posts were helpfull.
Sorry you took my comments that way, but it's not how they were intended. I have nothing to be elitist about. I'm an old school player who is now too old and too busy to actually be "good" at Tekken anymore. I play a few hours a MONTH. I DO however have a lot of knowledge and experience from years and years of high level tournament play, and I have been trying to help new players by passing it on - the same way a kind group of players took ME under their wing ages ago and leveled me up.

You're not a bad guy, you're just some random person on the internet. And bickering on the internet is for children, so lets not waste any more of our time. If you or anyone else has questions, I'm happy to help answer them if people want. If I come across as an elitist and condescending person then like I said, I have plenty of other things to do. I didn't mean to offend you.

In other news - Bildslash, when are we playing again man? I've only played once in the last month but my brain has been in a training time chamber... we should get some games in. I think I can actually play later if you're around.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Sorry you took my comments that way, but it's not how they were intended. I have nothing to be elitist about. I'm an old school player who is now too old and too busy to actually be "good" at Tekken anymore. I play a few hours a MONTH. I DO however have a lot of knowledge and experience from years and years of high level tournament play, and I have been trying to help new players by passing it on - the same way a kind group of players took ME under their wing ages ago and leveled me up.

You're not a bad guy, you're just some random person on the internet. And bickering on the internet is for children, so lets not waste any more of our time. If you or anyone else has questions, I'm happy to help answer them if people want. If I come across as an elitist and condescending person then like I said, I have plenty of other things to do. I didn't mean to offend you.

In other news - Bildslash, when are we playing again man? I've only played once in the last month but my brain has been in a training time chamber... we should get some games in. I think I can actually play later if you're around.
I realise how they were intended and that's why I say thank you, I just see that tekken players tend to be too "this is hard for you and itl take time" on every little thing while it isnt true for some of them.

I agree with the rest of your points.

Skkra

I realise how they were intended and that's why I say thank you, I just see that tekken players tend to be too "this is hard for you and itl take time" on every little thing while it isnt true for some of them.
See, I feel like the fact that that is TRUE for far too many points is the reason why Tekken has such a hard time gaining a larger audience. You could even see it yourself here on TYM, and 16bit even called it in the last Reunion podcast - the game will come out, a ton of people will jump on it right away, then it'll thin out when everyone sees that getting good "is a second job."

My buddies and I discuss this one a lot. I personally feel that Tekken has reached a point where the learning curve is just too frigging steep. On the most basic level, there are so many characters in the game now, and each has their own 100+ moves to learn. Just learning the hit ranges and strings for the whole cast is time consuming enough. Then you need to learn everyone's frame traps, setups, oki games, etc. Learning all of that takes SO much time.

The only reason I'm remotely competitive nowadays is because I have over a decade of experience in my past. If I was trying to pick this up from scratch today, I'd probably have returned it by now - I already have a full time job! I certainly applaud anyone who levels up in TTT2, learns all their matchups, etc, but man is it intense. Definitely takes 1000s of games.

It never surprises me that I've been seeing the same faces at Tekken tournaments for the last 5+ years, particularly as you move up the bracket. I find my answer to a bunch of questions ends up being "just play for a year or three and you'll get it." This is the only game (besides KOF, and no surprise, another insanely steep learning curve and a community kept small) that I find myself saying that, and as great as Tekken is, I feel like it's a strike against their game design philosophy.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
See, I feel like the fact that that is TRUE for far too many points is the reason why Tekken has such a hard time gaining a larger audience. You could even see it yourself here on TYM, and 16bit even called it in the last Reunion podcast - the game will come out, a ton of people will jump on it right away, then it'll thin out when everyone sees that getting good "is a second job."

My buddies and I discuss this one a lot. I personally feel that Tekken has reached a point where the learning curve is just too frigging steep. On the most basic level, there are so many characters in the game now, and each has their own 100+ moves to learn. Just learning the hit ranges and strings for the whole cast is time consuming enough. Then you need to learn everyone's frame traps, setups, oki games, etc. Learning all of that takes SO much time.

The only reason I'm remotely competitive nowadays is because I have over a decade of experience in my past. If I was trying to pick this up from scratch today, I'd probably have returned it by now - I already have a full time job! I certainly applaud anyone who levels up in TTT2, learns all their matchups, etc, but man is it intense. Definitely takes 1000s of games.

It never surprises me that I've been seeing the same faces at Tekken tournaments for the last 5+ years, particularly as you move up the bracket. I find my answer to a bunch of questions ends up being "just play for a year or three and you'll get it." This is the only game (besides KOF, and no surprise, another insanely steep learning curve and a community kept small) that I find myself saying that, and as great as Tekken is, I feel like it's a strike against their game design philosophy.
i completely agree with that but i was talking about game mechanics, not MU xp, there are many veterans here in greece who picked up tekken years ago so ill learn from them.

but my belief is that fundamentals>everything

Skkra

but my belief is that fundamentals>everything
I pretty much agree. Especially in Tekken. The fact that Anakin can play double jacks and be a dominant force essentially doing nothing but breaking throws, blocking well, d/b+1 and d/f+2 is a testament to that fact.