What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I'm actually surprised over how positive the reaction to Master Raven has been here. I thought Raven was a cool a cool and unique character that deserved to return. If they want to make a new female character, I wish they'd make them completely new instead of just handing them all moves from other characters. Just like Marduk and Bruce, I feel really bad for Raven.
You shouldn't be surprised.

We all realize that this is literally how Tekken has worked roster-wise for years, and it's always fine.

The firsts always make a return regardless whether it's a main game(Marshall for example) or a Tekken Tag(Michelle for example).

I kind of wish he had a super hero suit though.
He had one in TTTT, and there looks to be some customization items returning from that, so there's a positibility he may have it again. He may even get a new one.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I hated Miguel. Felt his design and choice was lazy.

But I hate most of the new characters after Tekken 5.0 lol.
But he actually had a unique moveset with his sloppy and brutal street brawling, some of the most fluid animations in the series, and background that wasn't any more or less "lazy" than most other human Tekken characters upon their initial appearances.

His movelist isn't any less complicated than the other characters, and his look is as stereotypical as the rest.

I don't even use him, but I can't really see the logic in saying he's any lazier than someone like, for example Law, or Bruce, or Ganryu, or Baek, or hell pretty much most Tekken 1 and 2 characters before they got fleshed out in the later games.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Miguel is great. Love his play style. You always see "brawlers" in FG and he's one of the only ones that actually fights like an untrained badass. His half assed stance and punches are awesome.

Just got done playing PPJ. I'm planning on playing once or twice a week at the arcade, my goal is to do decent at Wizard World Chicago next month.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
But he actually had a unique moveset with his sloppy and brutal street brawling, some of the most fluid animations in the series, and background that wasn't any more or less "lazy" than most other human Tekken characters upon their initial appearances.

His movelist isn't any less complicated than the other characters, and his look is as stereotypical as the rest.

I don't even use him, but I can't really see the logic in saying he's any lazier than someone like, for example Law, or Bruce, or Ganryu, or Baek, or hell pretty much most Tekken 1 and 2 characters before they got fleshed out in the later games.
I just dislike everyone that came after T5.0 except Dragonuv because of the change in the newer fighters. There's always been your Kuma's and company, and they have their purpose. Those OG characters you mentioned had a legit fighting background. For example, Law is a Bruce Lee ripoff and utilizes Jeet Kun Do, Bruce Kickboxing, Ganryu sumo, and Baek Taekwondo. Their skill set is based off of real life fighting styles which makes it much cooler for me to watch and play.

The direction changed though. In T1 and T2 I thought it was the best game ever back then because it felt "real" in comparison to other fighters. VF too actually lol. T3 brought new chars like the G.O.A.T Bryan Fury, Eddy, Hwoarang. T4 brought the likes of Marduk and Steve. T5 brought Asuka. But then, then. Then. It started to all go downhill. We started getting "no actual fighting style" Lili, I win with "Badassness" Miguel, "the more I eat the higher my tier" Bob, "I scream as loud as my moves" Lars, etc. Went from legit fighting backgrounds to "them" lol.

I'm too old school to enjoy the fun characters. Hell I'm still maining Bryan 15 years later lol! Real life vegetable smoothie drinking kinda guy so I need my traditional characters over these fun ones. Grinch style.

I like how they did it in T7 though. New chars like Josie and Kazumi that really interest me, while adding new chars like Lucky Chloe and Claudio that I wouldn't be caught dead using.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
Has she really been dead that long that I forgot her? Lol! I actually liked Zafina more than all the chars after 5.0. Wish she would return!

Still holding out for Anna and Julia. Roster would be complete for me if they pop up.
i think the roster would be completely for me if like anna, lee, lei would come back. I wouldn't mind julia tho but those 3 I mentioned really define tekken (so the bears but naw, i'm good with them)

Miguel is great. Love his play style. You always see "brawlers" in FG and he's one of the only ones that actually fights like an untrained badass. His half assed stance and punches are awesome.

Just got done playing PPJ. I'm planning on playing once or twice a week at the arcade, my goal is to do decent at Wizard World Chicago next month.

who are you playing as?

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I just dislike everyone that came after T5.0 except Dragonuv because of the change in the newer fighters. There's always been your Kuma's and company, and they have their purpose. Those OG characters you mentioned had a legit fighting background. For example, Law is a Bruce Lee ripoff and utilizes Jeet Kun Do, Bruce Kickboxing, Ganryu sumo, and Baek Taekwondo. Their skill set is based off of real life fighting styles which makes it much cooler for me to watch and play.

The direction changed though. In T1 and T2 I thought it was the best game ever back then because it felt "real" in comparison to other fighters. VF too actually lol. T3 brought new chars like the G.O.A.T Bryan Fury, Eddy, Hwoarang. T4 brought the likes of Marduk and Steve. T5 brought Asuka. But then, then. Then. It started to all go downhill. We started getting "no actual fighting style" Lili, I win with "Badassness" Miguel, "the more I eat the higher my tier" Bob, "I scream as loud as my moves" Lars, etc. Went from legit fighting backgrounds to "them" lol.

I'm too old school to enjoy the fun characters. Hell I'm still maining Bryan 15 years later lol! Real life vegetable smoothie drinking kinda guy so I need my traditional characters over these fun ones. Grinch style.

I like how they did it in T7 though. New chars like Josie and Kazumi that really interest me, while adding new chars like Lucky Chloe and Claudio that I wouldn't be caught dead using.
idk for me something I haven't really seen before is inherently more interesting than something that has been seen a bunch of times.

I mean, yeah Steve is cool and all but he's still just a boxer, even though Tekken team is great at making common fighting styles interesting and crazy, you can only make a tired archetype so interesting before it turns into something else.

It's not like Miguel is entirely fabricated, street fighting is real, and people can very good at it. Not having a traditional fighting style doesn't keep you from being a solid or realistic fighter. Especially not in a video game where he lines are blurred.

And back to Bob, he isn't entirely unreal or baseless(though he's as exaggerated as Law or Lei). Bob straight up does this dudes stuff, and even had his original default based on some of his classic looks:

Bob doesn't really do any more unrealistic attacks than someone like Kazuya or Heihachi. Honestly most of these fighters' attacks are very real looking and have the impact and style of a practical fighting style, even if they aren't ones that currently exist or are humanly possible to an extent. Zafina Lars are good examples of this. They aren't just.

I do realize that this is just a differing in personal taste between us though

Last edited:

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
idk for me something I haven't really seen before is inherently more interesting than something that has been seen a bunch of times.

I mean, yeah Steve is cool and all but he's still just a boxer, even though Tekken team is great at making common fighting styles interesting and crazy, you can only make a tired archetype so interesting before it turns into something else.

It's not like Miguel is entirely fabricated, street fighting is real, and people can very good at it. Not having a traditional fighting style doesn't keep you from being a solid or realistic fighter. Especially not in a video game where he lines are blurred.

And back to Bob, he isn't entirely unreal or baseless(though he's as exaggerated as Law or Lei). Bob straight up does this dudes stuff, and even had his original default based on some of his classic looks:

Bob doesn't really do any more unrealistic attacks than someone like Kazuya or Heihachi. Honestly most of these fighters' attacks are very real looking and have the impact and style of a practical fighting style, even if they aren't ones that currently exist or are humanly possible to an extent. Zafina Lars are good examples of this. They aren't just.

I definitely agree with most of this. Like you said, it boils down to personal taste, but I think many Tekken fans do prefer the fighting styles that are based off of either real martial arts or real action stars. I've always been a big Sammo Hung fan, so I've liked Bob and his freestyle karate from the get-go. I also like that though he may be a bit eccentric or sometimes goofy, he's not just another fat slob fighting game character. He dresses respectably (no fat gut showing or bouncing around), he speaks clearly and properly (no slurring, burping, etc), and his story is that of a proper martial artist with self-control who chose to put on weight. I think he's a big character done right, who can also be a bit silly at times.

I really dislike characters like Lili and Alisa who seem like pure fanservice characters. No real fighting style, just flipping around with a pretty face/body. For me, if their fighting styles were better, I could get behind them. If Alisa was a cute robot with chainsaw arms that fought using some kind of kung-fu or martial arts that were programmed into her, I could totally dig that. But everything from her stance, to her dialogue, to her ridiculous moves turns me off.

On the topic of Miguel, I hope he makes it in. I think he's a much more interesting fighter than many of the characters who've gotten priority over him. I know there's a 0.00% chance of it happening, but I'd like to see Wang make a comeback too.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I definitely agree with most of this. Like you said, it boils down to personal taste, but I think many Tekken fans do prefer the fighting styles that are based off of either real martial arts or real action stars. I've always been a big Sammo Hung fan, so I've liked Bob and his freestyle karate from the get-go. I also like that though he may be a bit eccentric or sometimes goofy, he's not just another fat slob fighting game character. He dresses respectably (no fat gut showing or bouncing around), he speaks clearly and properly (no slurring, burping, etc), and his story is that of a proper martial artist with self-control who chose to put on weight. I think he's a big character done right, who can also be a bit silly at times.

I really dislike characters like Lili and Alisa who seem like pure fanservice characters. No real fighting style, just flipping around with a pretty face/body. For me, if their fighting styles were better, I could get behind them. If Alisa was a cute robot with chainsaw arms that fought using some kind of kung-fu or martial arts that were programmed into her, I could totally dig that. But everything from her stance, to her dialogue, to her ridiculous moves turns me off.

On the topic of Miguel, I hope he makes it in. I think he's a much more interesting fighter than many of the characters who've gotten priority over him. I know there's a 0.00% chance of it happening, but I'd like to see Wang make a comeback too.
I actually used to think Alisa was kind of goofy too in T6, but after really looking through her moveset in TTT2 it actually is kind of interesting. While Jack uses the robot archetype of "machine precision" Alisa goes more for the the "transforming" and "adjustable parts" angle with her chainsaws and flying boosters, and rotating body. I especially like how her bigger attacks often involve her body parts falling off from the force of the impacts or her using them as weapons.

Do wish she actually spoke Russian though, because she's a Russian android.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.

I never played Bob but I always liked seeing him in action. So it was nice to see his IRL counterpart.