What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

JDCR is having hell because he was a master of SideStepBlock movement and no it's all but gone. Can't pluck a mans main strength like that. I'm sure he'll adjust eventually though if he still wants to.

I think it's the frame data not fully being accurate. Like I can punish anything -12 with Josie's 143 which is 10F 10 out of 10 times. But here it doesn't connect to online, only to the local machine next to you. It is an online connection though because it syncs and takes longer to "connect" the 2 machines and then tells you it's connecting. Just a local online. I can't play the Texas guys for example.
I didn't mean anything bad by that. I'm a huge fan of JDCR and that style of play (even though he uses the characters I hate lol) but it is just disheartening to see that with the movement changes, this style is dead.
Since you get to play, can you tell me any changes to Paul? I know the damage scaling works great for him since he is a powerhouse with the short combos but is there anything else?

Also the volcano stage, I hate it but the BGM soooooo good.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.

Fucking beautiful.

It's like he was made for me.

He's like a hyper Marduk with a teensy bit of True Ogre sprinkled on top. Some very important things were lost in the conversation but what he has is more than enough.

I was emotionally hurt by this replacement at first, but after seeing that move-set in its entirety I've come away sexually satisfied and ready to demolish people with my new main once the console port drops.

Last edited:

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Haha yea I agree. It's a lot of the same game, just made "more accessible" for the new players. I guess I understand. They don't want guys who's first Tekken was T6BR or TTT2 getting stomped by U.S. OG's who have played since being a kid during T1. It took me about 10min to adjust after looking up new combos when I never played Josie before, and with Bryan simply stepped in lol.

All and all, if you like Tekken then you'll feel right at home, and if you want to get into it as a newer player it'll be easier to do so now. So they got what they were going for. A compromise to meet in the "middle" with the old players and newer players. As an OG, I feel like I know the entire game already, and just need to learn the new characters now. Whether that's good or bad is a whole different story lol.
It's certainly not a BAD game. I'm definitely not arguing that. If you like Tekken, its another surely solid game in the Tekken franchise. The one thing that's kind of a game changer is the ability to armor between gaps in strings where previously you could only maybe d+1, but thats another story.

I guess I personally feel that Tekken needs to be reborn. The characters are iconic, the game has a lot going for it. But in today's landscape, it ends up feeling bland due to the fact that its more or less the same game I've been playing since high school!... and I'm 33 now haha.

You look at what MK9 did, and then what Injustice did, and what MKX has done. Whether or not you like those games, Ed Boon and company have taken some risks with design and at least attempted to take the game you love and make it new and different. SF4 retained the core feel but really changed things up, and SFV looks to do so even more. Games like Skullgirls and Blazblue are amazing titles that build on existing ideas but go their own way.

Again, for all my bitching, and I going to buy and play Tekken 7? Yeah. Of course I am. Ultimately I do have a ton of fun playing the game. I really do wish though that we would see something new. The last title with truly new mechanics/feel was T4. I know a lot of people hate on it, but the game was actually incredible, despite terrible balance. Today it would simply get balanced and be amazing.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Alright so I played heavily like a fiend these last few days. My friend did some characters as well so I'll do another big write up later tonight.

In the meantime, enjoy some of me learning Josie about a week or so ago that some dude recorded and recently put on his YouTube Channel. I beat them all because the comp wasn't strong, and I was trying out a lot of stuff to see what worked, what was a full string, etc, so I didn't go too hard on them, but I strung together some good combos and frame traps.

Check it out-

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Alright so I played heavily like a fiend these last few days. My friend did some characters as well so I'll do another big write up later tonight.

In the meantime, enjoy some of me learning Josie about a week or so ago that some dude recorded and recently put on his YouTube Channel. I beat them all because the comp wasn't strong, and I was trying out a lot of stuff to see what worked, what was a full string, etc, so I didn't go too hard on them, but I strung together some good combos and frame traps.

Check it out-

Ahhh shit! You're E-Sports now, lol. Just through about 15 minutes of you bopping people, watchin it now. Josie looks like so much fun.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Ahhh shit! You're E-Sports now, lol. Just through about 15 minutes of you bopping people, watchin it now. Josie looks like so much fun.
Haha yea she is great. Very fun character to use and keeps you engaged with her playstyle and execution. Love her more than I liked Bruce at this point. I'll definitely be co-main'ing her.

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Haha yea she is great. Very fun character to use and keeps you engaged with her playstyle and execution. Love her more than I liked Bruce at this point. I'll definitely be co-main'ing her.
Think I'm gonna join ya, she looks sick. Does WR12 [might be WR21, it's been a while] still allow you to pick up? And does DB 3+4 is it? Holy shit it's been too long, haha. Does it still CH for a pick up too? Would you say she's as strong as Bruce even missing the B2 terror, does that canceling ability make up for that. Is that her CH game, from the dash cancels? Does she have Bruce's 3 piece 10 punish?

You might of explained this already, but... what's the nerfed oki like exactly as far as, your opponents options and yours? Still got that video qued, just finishing up Toronto Top Tiers weekly. I'm at the part where he's like "Nobody can beat this guy", hehheh... Nice!

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Since you get to play, can you tell me any changes to Paul? I know the damage scaling works great for him since he is a powerhouse with the short combos but is there anything else?
Yea no prob. Paul is about as "unchanged" as any character in the game. So unchanged that 5 minutes of dusting off the rust and all Paul's will be right back at home. His "armor move" is the 2nd best in the game behind Hwo, coming out as a hammer'd pop up that can start combos or begin new ones at the wall. He hits very hard, on the higher end of damage in the cast.

Almost everything about Paul is still pretty Paul.

@SaltShaker Mind housing me while T7 near by? I'll do all your house chores and go to boring get togethers on your behalf.
Haha I may have to consider this because I'm getting absolutely nothing done in my free time lately. -.-

Fucking beautiful.

It's like he was made for me.

He's like a hyper Marduk with a teensy bit of True Ogre sprinkled on top. Some very important things were lost in the conversation but what he has is more than enough.

I was emotionally hurt by this replacement at first, but after seeing that move-set in its entirety I've come away sexually satisfied and ready to demolish people with my new main once the console port drops.
Haha told you. Feel most Marduk users that saw him got pretty hype. My boy used him a lot this weekend so he'll be in the write up.

It's certainly not a BAD game. I'm definitely not arguing that. If you like Tekken, its another surely solid game in the Tekken franchise. The one thing that's kind of a game changer is the ability to armor between gaps in strings where previously you could only maybe d+1, but thats another story.

I guess I personally feel that Tekken needs to be reborn. The characters are iconic, the game has a lot going for it. But in today's landscape, it ends up feeling bland due to the fact that its more or less the same game I've been playing since high school!... and I'm 33 now haha.

You look at what MK9 did, and then what Injustice did, and what MKX has done. Whether or not you like those games, Ed Boon and company have taken some risks with design and at least attempted to take the game you love and make it new and different. SF4 retained the core feel but really changed things up, and SFV looks to do so even more. Games like Skullgirls and Blazblue are amazing titles that build on existing ideas but go their own way.

Again, for all my bitching, and I going to buy and play Tekken 7? Yeah. Of course I am. Ultimately I do have a ton of fun playing the game. I really do wish though that we would see something new. The last title with truly new mechanics/feel was T4. I know a lot of people hate on it, but the game was actually incredible, despite terrible balance. Today it would simply get balanced and be amazing.
That is true. I remember Tekken 4, and at the time people played it without much issue except for balance, but now in history it's remembered as trash. I think part of that is because T5 DR was so incredible and more of a "back to the roots" game so it destroyed T4's legacy.

With that being said, I hope it doesn't change more than it already has. Personally I love it the way it is and feel like with the current "direction" of fighting games in this era I rather it stay as much of the same as possible. I can only imagine them dumbing it down to obscene disrespectful levels if they revamped the game, where as back during T4 it was different, but in no way dumbed down. MK9/Inj/MKX has been dumbed down each game. I was reading the new Fallout game, a game that has me Tekken level hyped, and the changes almost made me throw up in disgust. Our era is dead. The more challenging the game the more changes to make it easier must be made. New games cater to the comatose now, those who want to use as little brain as possible for a reward. I don't trust any company with a game redo in this era so I pray nothing else is altered in Tekken lol.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Think I'm gonna join ya, she looks sick. Does WR12 [might be WR21, it's been a while] still allow you to pick up? And does DB 3+4 is it? Holy shit it's been too long, haha. Does it still CH for a pick up too? Would you say she's as srong as Bruce even missing the B2 terror, does that canceling ability make up for that. Is that her CH game, from the dash cancels? Does she have Bruce's 3 piece 10 punish?

You might of explained this already, but... what's the nerfed oki like exactly as far as, your opponents options and yours? Still got that video qued, just finishing up Toronto Top Tiers weekly.
Hell yea man. We won't regret Josie. She's right below the S-tier Shaheen Kazuya types imo. A "clearly top 10 but not top 5" character. Quick pokes, good frames, amazing mixups and frame traps, strong pressure, good low pokes, high damage, Great Wall carry, good wall game, etc. Very strong girl here. Bold enough to say she's as good or likely better than my main Bryan.

WR21 picks up still, but the timing is a lot stricter now. I dropped it a bazillion times in that vid, but now I get it about 3/4 times. You pick up for about 35%, low 40% if you get a wall finish for a 13F WR21. :eek: No DB3+4 that I know lol, but D3+4 is a kick and B3+4 is the new sway stance. F3+4 is like the BF4 (was that it?) Bruce pop up knee, but this one is faster with more range, but only stuns on counter hit. Before I felt no B2 was bad, but now I don't think it matters. She's for sure as good as Bruce, and he was very good. The cancels make up for it in groves. The pressure is real, and what I learned after that vid is cancel into stance 4 is a frame trap (one of quite a few). They have to respect it or they get kicked pretty far or wall splat, and it's safe. Once they start respecting it you can use all her amazing cancel mixups, which are plus on hit and combos on CH, with OH/Low options. On strings like 123~ or 4~ they work the best. You can not use the move and cancel the cancel (lol) with FF into the ducking dash for the heavy Low kick or the mid pop up. Or cancel into backsway. Or a couple of strings that kick low, you can cancel into a knee that combos on regular hit and has no gap if they try to poke through. Her cancels are incredibly good though. Yea I've been using it religiously again now, 143 10F punish, still really good.

The oki basically goes to this now.
-If they lay you can ground spike them with a move, but the hit stun will allow them to get up. Then you can pressure.
-If they instant techroll it's damn near impossible to do anything, but you can pressure their stand. Doing the usually Tekken oki to tech rolls whiff 9/10 times now leaving them to the side of you to full combo you. Pressure their tech roll restand.
-They can wake up with a low, that will hit you unless you did certain moves to blow it up.
-They can WU with the mid kick and risk hitting your or getting blown up.
-No more of the back roll so you can't catch rolls anymore.
-Some stuff I can't remember.

I'm at the part where he's like "Nobody can beat this guy", hehheh... Nice!
Haha they were in awe of my Josie learning/experimenting skills. They'd have a heart attack if they saw my Josie now. :coffee:

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Hell yea man. We won't regret Josie. She's right below the S-tier Shaheen Kazuya types imo. A "clearly top 10 but not top 5" character. Quick pokes, good frames, amazing mixups and frame traps, strong pressure, good low pokes, high damage, Great Wall carry, good wall game, etc. Very strong girl here. Bold enough to say she's as good or likely better than my main Bryan.

WR21 picks up still, but the timing is a lot stricter now. I dropped it a bazillion times in that vid, but now I get it about 3/4 times. You pick up for about 35%, low 40% if you get a wall finish for a 13F WR21. :eek: No DB3+4 that I know lol, but D3+4 is a kick and B3+4 is the new sway stance. F3+4 is like the BF4 (was that it?) Bruce pop up knee, but this one is faster with more range, but only stuns on counter hit. Before I felt no B2 was bad, but now I don't think it matters. She's for sure as good as Bruce, and he was very good. The cancels make up for it in groves. The pressure is real, and what I learned after that vid is cancel into stance 4 is a frame trap (one of quite a few). They have to respect it or they get kicked pretty far or wall splat, and it's safe. Once they start respecting it you can use all her amazing cancel mixups, which are plus on hit and combos on CH, with OH/Low options. On strings like 123~ or 4~ they work the best. You can not use the move and cancel the cancel (lol) with FF into the ducking dash for the heavy Low kick or the mid pop up. Or cancel into backsway. Or a couple of strings that kick low, you can cancel into a knee that combos on regular hit and has no gap if they try to poke through. Her cancels are incredibly good though. Yea I've been using it religiously again now, 143 10F punish, still really good.

The oki basically goes to this now.
-If they lay you can ground spike them with a move, but the hit stun will allow them to get up. Then you can pressure.
-If they instant techroll it's damn near impossible to do anything, but you can pressure their stand. Doing the usually Tekken oki to tech rolls whiff 9/10 times now leaving them to the side of you to full combo you. Pressure their tech roll restand.
-They can wake up with a low, that will hit you unless you did certain moves to blow it up.
-They can WU with the mid kick and risk hitting your or getting blown up.
-No more of the back roll so you can't catch rolls anymore.
-Some stuff I can't remember.

Haha they were in awe of my Josie learning/experimenting skills. They'd have a heart attack if they saw my Josie now. :coffee:
Thanks for all those details Salt, much appreciated. "He's not human" lol. They were all getting hype for the dude in the blue shirt, lol. I was gettin hype in my room like "Let's go Salt!" Too funny... I'm finishing it up right now, you're undefeated so far, and I'm at like 27 min...

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Thanks for all those details Salt, much appreciated. "He's not human" lol. They were all getting hype for the dude in the blue shirt, lol. I was gettin hype in my room like "Let's go Salt!" Too funny... I'm finishing it up right now, you're undefeated so far, and I'm at like 27 min...
Yea no doubt, anytime.

Lmaoooo!!! Yea the "he's not human" caption had me dying. I thought it was hilarious how it went from "damn how's he so good with a new Tekken 7 character?" to "yeaaaaa bro beat his ass, end his streak, someone beat him!" The low tier version of Sonic Fox's transition lol.

Paul is widely the same from Tag 2 with two key differences to me:

b1,2 instead of being a linear bound is now a 12f tracking high natural combo knockdown. Read that again. Its really good. Also functions as his easy Screw Attack

Db+2 has a new animation and hit. Instead of the near the ground pickup palm, it is now a full rising mid elbow. Knocks down on normal hit, OTGs easily, and on CH launches and has a simple pickup of WR 3,2 into dash Phoenix Smasher.

The sidestep system change makes him much more dangerous to fight. Stepping right doesn't solve all problems anymore.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
@SaltShaker
I always played tekken but stayed at an "advanced casual" level at it. Never learned how to properly move and probably missed out on some optimized stuff. Just had my safe pokes and pressure and my go to combos. What is the high execution part about Josie? Really wanted to learn her for multiple reasons but that part makes me rethink that.

What's a grappler's typical gameplan in Tekken? Who are the grapplers?

How is Katarina and how hard is she?

How is Jack-7? compared to previous Jack-6 and PT-Jack from TTT2?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Paul is widely the same from Tag 2 with two key differences to me:

b1,2 instead of being a linear bound is now a 12f tracking high natural combo knockdown. Read that again. Its really good. Also functions as his easy Screw Attack

Db+2 has a new animation and hit. Instead of the near the ground pickup palm, it is now a full rising mid elbow. Knocks down on normal hit, OTGs easily, and on CH launches and has a simple pickup of WR 3,2 into dash Phoenix Smasher.

The sidestep system change makes him much more dangerous to fight. Stepping right doesn't solve all problems anymore.
Yea his new moves are good. I agree on the side step changes benefitting him. I would be mentally sidestepping him before the match even started in the past lol. Now that's dead and you're forced to fight in front of him much more than before. He's gonna be really good in this one.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
As long as King, Armor King, and Bryan Fury are in it.
Well I have some bad news...

@SaltShaker
I always played tekken but stayed at an "advanced casual" level at it. Never learned how to properly move and probably missed out on some optimized stuff. Just had my safe pokes and pressure and my go to combos. What is the high execution part about Josie? Really wanted to learn her for multiple reasons but that part makes me rethink that.

What's a grappler's typical gameplan in Tekken? Who are the grapplers?

How is Katarina and how hard is she?

How is Jack-7? compared to previous Jack-6 and PT-Jack from TTT2?
I won't say Josie's execution is on a MKX Jax level, or a Devil Jin level of mastery, but it's higher than more of the cast members. A lot of the newer cast members are either significantly easier to use or to execute combos except for Josie and Kazumi. Josie has some of her combos like WR21 or F1+2 that are amazing tools that lead to good damage, but also have tight windows. Not 1F link tight, but definitely a small frame window. Her F Knee starter on CH is pretty tight too, as is WR3. Her CH combo out of stance, 15F generic DF2 Pop up, and hopkick have big easy windows to combo though. It's tough enough that it'll take a little practice to nail it 10/10 times with those, but 100% possible after, where as guys like Claudio takes a combo starter list off the internet and 15 minutes to do all his 40% BnB's and implement his gameplan. -.-

King, and to a lesser extent Dragonuv are the only ones I can consider capable of grappling in T7 so far. The grab nerf is real, but these two have variety in their grab game with different Cmd Grabs that require a 1, 2, or 1+2 escape. They can force you to have to respect their grabs up close. King is the true grappler though. Individual escapes for all scenarios. Standing, crouching, grounded, chain grabs, he has individual escapes for all scenarios and ways to set them up. As long as you avoid the easy escape grabs and stick to the individual escape ones King is a better grappler than the roster combined. Literally lol.

Katarina is very, very easy to use. The only character that had easier setups and BnB's was Claudio. She isn't as good as him though, but she's good. Good range, good footsies, good wall carry, strong oki in a dying oki game. Her wall game is ass though. I played her a lot this weekend so she'll be in my write up tomorrow.

Jack 7. Sigh. The best Jack ever in a Tekken. The Japanese are not up playing like I thought they were. Combo you to the wall and finish it for 65% damage, blow you up if you poke out a WU into the rest of your life bar. One of my friends main's. The salt was too real to even say anymore about Jackass, I mean Jack, but he'll be in the write up too.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Well I have some bad news...

I won't say Josie's execution is on a MKX Jax level, or a Devil Jin level of mastery, but it's higher than more of the cast members. A lot of the newer cast members are either significantly easier to use or to execute combos except for Josie and Kazumi. Josie has some of her combos like WR21 or F1+2 that are amazing tools that lead to good damage, but also have tight windows. Not 1F link tight, but definitely a small frame window. Her F Knee starter on CH is pretty tight too, as is WR3. Her CH combo out of stance, 15F generic DF2 Pop up, and hopkick have big easy windows to combo though. It's tough enough that it'll take a little practice to nail it 10/10 times with those, but 100% possible after, where as guys like Claudio takes a combo starter list off the internet and 15 minutes to do all his 40% BnB's and implement his gameplan. -.-

King, and to a lesser extent Dragonuv are the only ones I can consider capable of grappling in T7 so far. The grab nerf is real, but these two have variety in their grab game with different Cmd Grabs that require a 1, 2, or 1+2 escape. They can force you to have to respect their grabs up close. King is the true grappler though. Individual escapes for all scenarios. Standing, crouching, grounded, chain grabs, he has individual escapes for all scenarios and ways to set them up. As long as you avoid the easy escape grabs and stick to the individual escape ones King is a better grappler than the roster combined. Literally lol.

Katarina is very, very easy to use. The only character that had easier setups and BnB's was Claudio. She isn't as good as him though, but she's good. Good range, good footsies, good wall carry, strong oki in a dying oki game. Her wall game is ass though. I played her a lot this weekend so she'll be in my write up tomorrow.

Jack 7. Sigh. The best Jack ever in a Tekken. The Japanese are not up playing like I thought they were. Combo you to the wall and finish it for 65% damage, blow you up if you poke out a WU into the rest of your life bar. One of my friends main's. The salt was too real to even say anymore about Jackass, I mean Jack, but he'll be in the write up too.
Great thanks man!!! Nice to hear Jack is seeing the best of days so far. How did you figure out good pokes and combos? Is there any form of a practice mode or command list? Will this write up include the whole cast?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Great thanks man!!! Nice to hear Jack is seeing the best of days so far. How did you figure out good pokes and combos? Is there any form of a practice mode or command list? Will this write up include the whole cast?
Jack is so good it's crazy! Best iteration yet. Fear console nerfs type of good lol.

I basically looked up the "best pokes" and BnB starters online and wrote them all down. The ones that didn't have info I watched Asian match videos and jotted what the inputs possibly were. Since I know the game so well seeing the new changed combos and watching the animations was pretty easy for the old characters, but the new ones I had to go early before it got crowded and practice against the cpu. Then me and my friend would take turns testing out the characters hogging the game until people came lol. You'd be surprised how little you spend doing this and beating everyone who challenges you (and practicing on them lol). That made it easier to tell which pokes and strings were really good with the new characters especially, and which were just for show or I couldn't find a use for. The OG chars were easy to adjust though all around.

There's about 15 characters full movelist and sample BnB's on YouTube.

You can look at that guys playlist and see the characters he has. If you see a number on the top left with 2 line looking symbols near it it's the start up frames. If it's near the right on the top with a negative its the block frames. I've found more stuff by now but it's a greattttt place to look for those characters in the playlist. Movelist, grabs, and sample BnB's towards the end.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.

I remember watching some gameplay somewhere on youtube where a dude was abusing a 2 hit 40-45% damage counter hit combo with Jack.

Shit was disgusting.

---

Haha told you. Feel most Marduk users that saw him got pretty hype. My boy used him a lot this weekend so he'll be in the write up.

Hype? I'm more than hype right now.

Which sucks, because I usually try to put off the hype until I know release(or someway for me to access) is very close, so I don't end up starving for the game at hand for a prolonged period of time.

I wish I didn't start looking through gameplay on youtube(even the shitty stuff), got me beyond hungry for this game.

Fiend'n

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I remember watching some gameplay somewhere on youtube where a dude was abusing a 2 hit 40-45% damage counter hit combo with Jack.

Shit was disgusting.

---

Hype? I'm more than hype right now.

Which sucks, because I usually try to put off the hype until I know release(or someway for me to access) is very close, so I don't end up starving for the game at hand for a prolonged period of time.

I wish I didn't start looking through gameplay on youtube(even the shitty stuff), got me beyond hungry for this game.

Fiend'n
Yea I can picture Jack getting a damage reduction by console time. Right now he hits the hardest in the game. He'll probably still do that, but not as high as he's doing it now.

I feel you man. That's how I feel. The first time I went I was like, "ight I gotta go play this Tekken 7 for a little to feel it out. I know it's hot". Now I'm living in there 4 days a week like this was 10 years ago in the Chinatown Fair arcade scene! Can't stop watching Knee streams on YouTube and going back for hours in the arcade. I'm like a possessed person now. Lol

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
That is true. I remember Tekken 4, and at the time people played it without much issue except for balance, but now in history it's remembered as trash. I think part of that is because T5 DR was so incredible and more of a "back to the roots" game so it destroyed T4's legacy.

With that being said, I hope it doesn't change more than it already has. Personally I love it the way it is and feel like with the current "direction" of fighting games in this era I rather it stay as much of the same as possible. I can only imagine them dumbing it down to obscene disrespectful levels if they revamped the game, where as back during T4 it was different, but in no way dumbed down. MK9/Inj/MKX has been dumbed down each game. I was reading the new Fallout game, a game that has me Tekken level hyped, and the changes almost made me throw up in disgust. Our era is dead. The more challenging the game the more changes to make it easier must be made. New games cater to the comatose now, those who want to use as little brain as possible for a reward. I don't trust any company with a game redo in this era so I pray nothing else is altered in Tekken lol.
If T4 was released in the modern era, where devs actually balance patch, etc, it would've been godlike. I know a lot of traditionalists back on Zaibatsu in the day hated it, but it was different and interesting, and the designers actually took a TON of risks all at once. I felt it actually paid off an made an interesting game, but I know a bunch of people didnt like it. But at least they took the risk. DR was spectacular, and without a doubt my favorite Tekken of all time, but they never evolved past it after they returned to the roots.

T4 added walls for the first time, 1+3 was a position-shifting wall push, backdash was nerfed, you could tech off of the wall, you could bait wall techs, sidestep was reworked, there were destructable environment objects, the levels were massively variable in size and shape, there were variable floor slopes that would make you adjust your combos and pokes... now that is how you take some design risks while still keeping the core game intact. It's a shame the balance ended up being so bad.

After the great return to its roots with DR, each subsequent Tekken game just added stupid new fluff like bound, or floor breaks, etc. Stuff that has zero impact on the actual game played between the two players. If anything, it's always something that just enables even more stupidly high damage, so that 2 bad reads and its the round. At least T7 has armored moves, which allows a play to make a read, which is finally a mechanic that actually impacts the game happening between the two players, and isnt just a dumb combo extending mechanic.

Can't remember @Slips stance on it but am interested to hear it.

Side note, I don't at all believe that all games are being dumbed down and made easy. There has been a demand for and revival of games that are difficult but fair. The market has clearly spoken and shown that there is a demand for these types of games. Look at Dark Souls. Go on Steam and play any of the hundreds of amazing and challenging games there. They're making their way into PSN as well, which is awesome. Games like Shovel Knight, etc, that appeal to that old school mentality.

There are also plenty of awesome, technical and deep fighting games still being made. I've been fairly obsessed with BlazBlue lately. It's beyond fun, the character designs are interesting, the movement is sick, and its deep as hell. They're still out there! =)

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
If T4 was released in the modern era, where devs actually balance patch, etc, it would've been godlike. I know a lot of traditionalists back on Zaibatsu in the day hated it, but it was different and interesting, and the designers actually took a TON of risks all at once. I felt it actually paid off an made an interesting game, but I know a bunch of people didnt like it. But at least they took the risk. DR was spectacular, and without a doubt my favorite Tekken of all time, but they never evolved past it after they returned to the roots.

T4 added walls for the first time, 1+3 was a position-shifting wall push, backdash was nerfed, you could tech off of the wall, you could bait wall techs, sidestep was reworked, there were destructable environment objects, the levels were massively variable in size and shape, there were variable floor slopes that would make you adjust your combos and pokes... now that is how you take some design risks while still keeping the core game intact. It's a shame the balance ended up being so bad.

After the great return to its roots with DR, each subsequent Tekken game just added stupid new fluff like bound, or floor breaks, etc. Stuff that has zero impact on the actual game played between the two players. If anything, it's always something that just enables even more stupidly high damage, so that 2 bad reads and its the round. At least T7 has armored moves, which allows a play to make a read, which is finally a mechanic that actually impacts the game happening between the two players, and isnt just a dumb combo extending mechanic.

Can't remember @Slips stance on it but am interested to hear it.

Side note, I don't at all believe that all games are being dumbed down and made easy. There has been a demand for and revival of games that are difficult but fair. The market has clearly spoken and shown that there is a demand for these types of games. Look at Dark Souls. Go on Steam and play any of the hundreds of amazing and challenging games there. They're making their way into PSN as well, which is awesome. Games like Shovel Knight, etc, that appeal to that old school mentality.

There are also plenty of awesome, technical and deep fighting games still being made. I've been fairly obsessed with BlazBlue lately. It's beyond fun, the character designs are interesting, the movement is sick, and its deep as hell. They're still out there! =)
Yea I was one of those guys back on TZ bashing T4 haha. I remember playing it out of loyalty, but disliking it to a certain extent, and after a while it just "grew" on me. They did make some huge changes though, some good looking back, but some I still would have disliked. Stuff like walls/wall tech, different level size (that parking garage stage was godlike), position shift were great elements. Stuff like the ground slope stages were horrible. You're right though, I wouldn't mind if they try some new things along those lines that add to the gameplay experience.

Since DR the changes haven't been major, just more ways to beat someone up, that's true too. The one armor move (some have two) per character is one of the only changes I like for the same reason. It just needs better balancing. I don't like the Armored low health super moves at all though. Horrible braindead bailout mechanic. This is why I'm afraid of changes in modern games, they're almost always to make things easier, not technical. Which is where I disagree with you the most.

Modern games are incredibly dumbed down today and in sequels. Dark Souls is tough, but would be twice as popular 15, even 10 years ago. BlazBlue would be godlike in popularity 15 years ago. For every game like that there are a multitude of other examples. Look at MKX as the perfect example. MK9/Inj/MKX. Dumber easier versions of how to just hit people each game. T7? Remove sidestep mechanics and oki mechanics because it's too difficult to learn and defend, it upsets people. Almost all modern FPS games? Let's make easy auto aim so even if you're off it'll auto-correct so you can shoot people and some skill that kills 3 people at once while you did nothing. Adventure games? Too difficult in the past so let's make them fun but easy like Uncharted. SF4 links too hard? Let's make SFV have easier combos and links and nothing tougher than 3-4 frame links. I can go one forever with today's games. The days of "learn the game" being the norm are dead, and replaced with "how can we make the game easier for people to play".

For this reason I don't want to see much changed. I highly doubt it would be good. T7 has made the most changes to a Tekken since T4, and almost all of them have been to make it "easier and more accessible" while adding no depth, actually removing depth outside of the new focus attacks. I could just imagine what a huge change would bring...