What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

None of this stuff matters, I am gonna be counter hit deathfisting people and using their salt on my chips (fries for the Americans and others)

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
You can't be serious.

He has one of Marduk's air throws @Pterodactyl (the slam down air throw), same height, the same 21 animation, the same F2F1 with the exact same hit properties, the exact same F2D1 alternate of the string, exact same DF21 (I think that was it, the 2 mids that hit away), exact same kick into headbutt move animation, exact same D3 animation, exact same D31, exact same advancing low poke with exactly the same animation, exact same shoulder Pop up animation, same oki stomp animation, a couple of the same WR moves, etc. That's just off of the top of my head at 7:48AM watching tv before I go to work.
Okay that's great news, seriously.

But no VT stance + mount...

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
This game's OST seems pretty dope to me so far(Tekken always has good music, so I'm not too surprised). They don't design their music to just sound good, they give it a level of intensity that just makes your blood rush and gets you really into the fight.

Really digging this DnB track though.

Even if we can't have full on Tekken Tunes because of console bullshit, I hope we can at least have the ability to put music from previous games on stages and menus.

T6's OST was godlike, and TTT2 had some gold in it as well:

Still gets me hype.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yea Tekken soundtracks are always gold. I'm about to walk over there right now to take a 90min "lunch break" before I go back tonight. Any request throw them in now lol.

Marte

Noob
No problem. Any questions anyone just ask. And I'll be 100% honest, as much as I'm loving the game I can't stress how much I hate most of the new system changes. In short, it's dumbed down imo to appeal to more people. Gotta get those newer players off to a good start right? :/

THROWS- Now if you do a 1+3 or 2+4 throw, they can use 1 or 2 to break either. So it doesn't matter if you do 1+3 or 2+4, anyone with the reaction speed of a turtle will break. Regular throws are useless now. The problem is that most characters only have one or two other throws max, that are broken with 1+2. So throws are broken a lotttt more now. Some command throws like Asuka's DF2+3 throw you still break with 2, but not everyone has command throws outside of the 1+2 escapes. King will shine more than ever, because people will be used to breaking throws easier but newer players who don't know the escapes of King's chain grabs and the timings will have it rough. I know the MU's (of the returning characters) so when I see certain throw animations I knew whether to push 1 or 2 to escape or 1+2. I hate that they've dumbed it down. Instead of looking at the throw animation and breaking on reaction, now I can mindlessly just push 1+2 1 to break 90% of throws in the game. Side grabs are still exclusive to knowing the 1 or the 2 though, but you'd have to side step there. That's coming up soon.

OKI- As they say, "back in my day we played Tekken 5, and at a high level if you didn't know what you were doing you would die on the ground". Oh how I miss those days. This is blatantly the most obvious of the "beginner friendly" changes. It is incredibly easy to get off of the ground now, and at worst you may be ground spiked once. Casuals and even intermediate players, above all else hated being bodied on the ground back then, even though they just misused their options or were punished for bad reads. The answer? Lower the oki each game after Tekken 5 to the point where now it's weaker than any Tekken ever. Instead of dominant oki that you're used to, you can get of a spike if they make a bad read and then apply pressure as they get up. That's basically how it works now. Someone is celebrating this change right now, but it isn't me.

SIDESTEP- Nevermind, because THIS is the biggest change made for beginners and new players. No more knowing which way to side step block (call it SSB)and how far to against each character. Nope. It is dead. Better off going back and forward with slight steps. I don't know the frames, but there is a clear delay in the SSB now so you can't utilize the old Tekken style of movement. Like when I SSL and try to cancel into back and SSL again, Tekken moving, there's a few frames of delay before I can step again. During that you can no longer block and can be poked or combo'd. So where you used to be able to evade or position at angle with SSB to stay safe using that magnificent MU knowledge, now you will be hit because you can't block in time after cutting a side step. They are cautious types of movements now, not the core. It is much more "I'm in front of you like a 2D fighter" than the Tekken I'm used to. Again, I don't like it, but I guess it takes to much to learn all the proper movements so it had to go. :/

FOCUS PUNCH- It's pretty much the SF Focus absorb, but you can't cancel it. They are unsafe on block and you absorb damage to land a hit. Dislike them, but the only change that doesn't "bother" me as much as the others. I don't feel like this is balanced at all. Some characters have really weak ones like Kazumi, that barely does any damage compared to what you absorb. Some like Bryan that knock you back. Some like Paul who pops you into the air for a full combo of unscaled damage even if they hit you with it on the wall! Not a bad idea, but very poorly balanced across the cast, and I wish their was a limit to the amount of times it could be used.

SUPER ARTS- Tekken with supers. When you're low on health and in rage, you can do your "Rage Arts". Full combo punishable on block, about 37% damage or so if you land it. You get only one. They have armor and you take damage, and you can die before it hits if you absorb fatal damage. If you interrupt a gap with a rage art you hit it, which I hate the most. Armor'ing through gaps with Supers in Tekken? Really? You can also combo into them, which does about 45% depending on the combo. I'm too old school to be on the verge of winning, applying pressure on block, just to be Super'd doing a 121 and die. I can see why some like it also, but another change I hate.

COMBOS- They have the "tailspin" now which is pretty cool. You do certain strings in combos, and then do another string that "tailspins" to finish the combo. Those moves are different from the ones that break the ground for combo extensions. You can also do moves at the wall on certain stages that knocks them to the next level. It opens up SO many combo extension opportunities, and to maximize your damage (because damage is less unless your name is Shaheen) you have to be fully aware of the stage positioning and combo you are using. All combo fillers are not good for all situations so you really have to know which is which and when to use what. Finally an amazing change. I love it and how it incorporates much more moves than before in different launchers for the best outcomes:

All in all, I really don't like the "let's bring the skill gap closer" changes. These changes are 100% for people lesser skilled to play better, casuals, and for newer players and beginners to play better than they would have. Removing advanced options because it's "too advanced for others" is the worst possible decision imo. If the game itself wasn't as amazing as it is in gameplay it would probably be enough to dislike it as a whole. But the game is really really fun still, the characters play smooth, the technical aspects are still there, the poke/pressure game is still real, a lot of aspects are still the same and great, just some of the depth is gone.
It's pretty clear they're desperately trying to bring the casual players back to the game, but I'm not sure how it will end up. Many korean players, like Knee, have already said that they don't really like the game, and i can totally see why.

Oh well, at least my main King is good.

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Yea Tekken soundtracks are always gold. I'm about to walk over there right now to take a 90min "lunch break" before I go back tonight. Any request throw them in now lol.
I've already heard some things, but enjoy your thorough opinions on characters so... Xiaoyu compared to TTT2 Ling, do tell.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yeah, i don't remember you breaking down Hwoarang, and he looks like was made for this game too, damn fucking solid.

If you could give a breakdown when you return pls do so.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
@SaltShaker I played it at Evo this year... yeah, not much new stuff. They replaced bound with what I call Spinny, but its an equivalent mechanic. I would've rather seen a return to pure T5 with no extension mechanic. Keep juggles as short as possible and lets back to play playing.

The game is OK, but they've dumbed it down and not much else has changed. At it's core, it's like T6/TTT2 with bound replaced with spinny. T6 was T5 with bound. T5 was the rebirth of T3/TTT style after the departure with T4. There really isn't anything new here that is an interesting gameplay mechanic. It still feels like the same game I've been playing for the last decade plus.

That said, I'll probably get it and play it anyways just because Tekken was the first fighter I ever played, and the only one I ever truly took seriously enough to be highly competitive, so it holds a soft spot for me. Lili isn't as fun as she used to be since the nerfed oki into the ground, and her original T5DR gameplan of "knock you down and never let you up" which I found so fun has been effectively neutered. But I love her design and will play until forever at this point haha.

Rant over.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I know fan demand isn't a really a factor because like only 8 people on the face of the earth actually used her, but I really want Zafina to return. Used her a whole lot in T6 and a little bit in TTT2, definitely one of the more unique and fun fighters in the game.

Arkane Slim

I did a lot but I never hated...
I'm looking forward to actually learning Tekken. I was interested in TTT2 but I never really got around to it. I'm looking forward to learning Dragunov and Shaheen. They are just so laid back to me.... I like em.

And yeah definitely can't wait for Necalli in SFV

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Been back at work for a little while now. There were a lot of people there playing and waiting for next and stuff. My Josie is too good lol.

Needless to say, I'll be working late because I got back late. Wanted to try some stuff out but ended up winning 72 straight with Josie before I had to leave lol. I'll try tomorrow.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
@SaltShaker I played it at Evo this year... yeah, not much new stuff. They replaced bound with what I call Spinny, but its an equivalent mechanic. I would've rather seen a return to pure T5 with no extension mechanic. Keep juggles as short as possible and lets back to play playing.

The game is OK, but they've dumbed it down and not much else has changed. At it's core, it's like T6/TTT2 with bound replaced with spinny. T6 was T5 with bound. T5 was the rebirth of T3/TTT style after the departure with T4. There really isn't anything new here that is an interesting gameplay mechanic. It still feels like the same game I've been playing for the last decade plus.

That said, I'll probably get it and play it anyways just because Tekken was the first fighter I ever played, and the only one I ever truly took seriously enough to be highly competitive, so it holds a soft spot for me. Lili isn't as fun as she used to be since the nerfed oki into the ground, and her original T5DR gameplan of "knock you down and never let you up" which I found so fun has been effectively neutered. But I love her design and will play until forever at this point haha.

Rant over.
Well that's a bummer :(

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

Rant over.
Haha yea I agree. It's a lot of the same game, just made "more accessible" for the new players. I guess I understand. They don't want guys who's first Tekken was T6BR or TTT2 getting stomped by U.S. OG's who have played since being a kid during T1. It took me about 10min to adjust after looking up new combos when I never played Josie before, and with Bryan simply stepped in lol.

All and all, if you like Tekken then you'll feel right at home, and if you want to get into it as a newer player it'll be easier to do so now. So they got what they were going for. A compromise to meet in the "middle" with the old players and newer players. As an OG, I feel like I know the entire game already, and just need to learn the new characters now. Whether that's good or bad is a whole different story lol.

#BuffJosie
#Where'sJulia?
#FreeOfChargeOutfits

Even JDCR, one of the best at the close style of fighting is having a lot of trouble with the new movement system. There are also some other complaints that seems to be about punishing and the frames seems to be off, this could be because matches are basically online. I dont know if the locations tests in the USA are the same.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Even JDCR, one of the best at the close style of fighting is having a lot of trouble with the new movement system. There are also some other complaints that seems to be about punishing and the frames seems to be off, this could be because matches are basically online. I dont know if the locations tests in the USA are the same.
JDCR is having hell because he was a master of SideStepBlock movement and no it's all but gone. Can't pluck a mans main strength like that. I'm sure he'll adjust eventually though if he still wants to.

I think it's the frame data not fully being accurate. Like I can punish anything -12 with Josie's 143 which is 10F 10 out of 10 times. But here it doesn't connect to online, only to the local machine next to you. It is an online connection though because it syncs and takes longer to "connect" the 2 machines and then tells you it's connecting. Just a local online. I can't play the Texas guys for example.