What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
While i'm sad to see a few characters not in yet i'm fucking over joyed that we don't have any true capos yet.

I'd be happy if the capos drop off the face of the earth.

Except Tiger because he's cool.

Honestly, the Capos and Lei have been a pain in my ass for a while, luckily good capos are rare and good Lei's are rarer.

---

Holy shit I completely forgot Drag was in this game, I guess I do have another old main to be hype for. Absolutely loved using him in 6 but he fell off my wagon in TTT2, I don't really remember why exactly.

---

Any insight on Catalina? @SaltShaker

She's the only female character in the game right now that has my interest, since Julia/Jaycee is absent. I used Leo for a small while in TTT2 and was actually upsettingly good with her, I don't know why she didn't completely "click" with me though.

Last edited:

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Will be colleting lots of tears when my main drops on the console, TTT2 was already pretty gud and drived lots of salt with him, his harassments buffs were the key part even though he couldn't maximize as much in the damage department.

But now is like someone said earlier, Jin was made for this game, i can't stop thinking about how overall of a character he is, he has basically everything.

EWHF tails spins on hit even if WHF still needs to be a counter hit to Taispins, will be getting a lot of damage once i found the lenience of electrics on the arcade stick, i can do it on the controllers just fine.

His wave dash 50-50 mixup game is 10x more stronger than in TTT2, the only thing that toned down the use of his 50-50 mix up, was ppl not having a real reason to crouch EWHF because his mid was hella punishable, and his low option didn't extend much of the damage because he didn't had bound that were usable that way, but now with the tailspin, i believe he will be able to df14 for a tail spin on low starters, he is like a real mishima now.

Got more Harassment buffs, as if they weren't enough (evil face) Zan stance can now be safe canceled, Zan~1+2 now launches vertically and is still has a lot of push back on block, uf1 now crumples on CH, and is a sidestep attack that has faster startup than F4 and is safe on block, no more charging up against jin now. df4 now launches on CH, which is a good buff, might see some uses for it in his oki game. db3 now auto tailspins if counter hits, more more reason to approach jin with caution

He lost his knockdown game from df14 without being a counter hit, but 24 is still there and is still an 8f punisher, also heard that df14 now is plus on hit enough to grant an F4 as a CH if they're mashing, so now when jin lands a 14 on hit he is allowed to start a 50-50 mixup, hahah, and the best part is that it still W!(Wallsplats) in the corner.

His B21 cannot be hit confirmed anymore, so its not delayable and is still safe, but who cares, the nigga is like a fucking walking tank with all the fucking manuals about defense around him.

In the corner he has become the cast worst nightmare, if you side step, you risk being wallsplated, if you charge in, uf2 or db3, so basically if jin corners you in T7, you're dead.

Overall score of current Jin
Harassment: +
Juggle Potential: +
Corner game: +
Defense: +
Whiff punishment: +

According to Knee who has been playing more Jin lately, he believes jin might be S tier
Where is that bison GIF when you need it!

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
So much tekken love. I'm gonna need those PSNs for when T7 hits consoles. If anyone has some playtime could you tell me how Jack, Law, Lucky Chloe, Leo and Katarina are. Was hoping to use Josie but if she is really technical might have to wait on that.

Does anyone know what the reception is like for T7? Know a guy who's been saying people aren't really digging it and it's actually damaged the scene a bit.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Lol, no, from what I've heard it's a fuckin' stellar game. But I'm also not quite as in tune with tekken scene as I used to be. Some of the major complaints I've heard about is how throw breaking works now (I think it's slightly different?) and Sidestepping not being as useful.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Lol, no, from what I've heard it's a fuckin' stellar game. But I'm also not quite as in tune with tekken scene as I used to be. Some of the major complaints I've heard about is how throw breaking works now (I think it's slightly different?) and Sidestepping not being as useful.
Regular throwss (1+3, 2+4) can be broken using either 1 or 2 now. Command throws still need the correct hand button though. I know sidestepping is reduced a bit but I'm not too sure on how exactly. Like the speed and/or distance of it isn't as much. Dude told me that a character or two benefit from this actually. Something like some good attacks are now harder to avoid and your better off just blocking. Idk since I can't play. Namco also made changes to the oki game, not too sure on that one. @SaltShaker can you fill us in on the system changes made to the game. I know there are no more bounds and that it's been replaced by the new tailspin for combos.

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
While i'm sad to see a few characters not in yet i'm fucking over joyed that we don't have any true capos yet.

I'd be happy if the capos drop off the face of the earth.

Except Tiger because he's cool.

Honestly, the Capos and Lei have been a pain in my ass for a while, luckily good capos are rare and good Lei's are rarer.

---

Holy shit I completely forgot Drag was in this game, I guess I do have another old main to be hype for. Absolutely loved using him in 6 but he fell off my wagon in TTT2, I don't really remember why exactly.

---

She's the only female character in the game right now that has my interest, since Julia/Jaycee is absent. I used Leo for a small while in TTT2 and was actually upsettingly good with her, I don't know why she didn't completely "click" with me though.
Do NOT hate on Christie! :) If she does surface, I'm sure B14 won't be a CH so she should be fine. I don't care how many people hate Capos, I was one of them. Picked up Christie to learn what to defend against and fell in love. Christie and Chang's were my mains in TTT2, just not on the same team.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Do NOT hate on Christie! :) If she does surface, I'm sure B14 won't be a CH so she should be fine. I don't care how many people hate Capos, I was one of them. Picked up Christie to learn what to defend against and fell in love. Christie and Chang's were my mains in TTT2, just not on the same team.
I always wanted to learn christie :( Had her customized and everything too. Even watched those tutorials those 3 players did. Most of the reason I'm looking forward to lucky chloe is cause she dances and I need to make up for my missed opportunity.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Christie and Chang's were my mains in TTT2, just not on the same team.
I reeaaally hope Julia comes back as Jaycee again, that moveset upgrade made her so much more fun than she used to be.

Plus that costume is awesome.

Marduk/Jaycee was one of my favorite teams towards the end of my TTT2 days, they had some great synergy(plus I liked the idea of a badass wrasslin' duo and King and AK didn't vibe as well with me).

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
I always wanted to learn christie :( Had her customized and everything too. Even watched those tutorials those 3 players did. Most of the reason I'm looking forward to lucky chloe is cause she dances and I need to make up for my missed opportunity.
She does not look nearly as strong as Capos were, but she can dance! For now, I am forced to hate her because so far... she killed Christie.

Capos don't deserve love, and they get none from me! I'll give mad respect to a good Lei though.
Haha. But what if B14 did not counter hit? Would you still hate Capos... They're not that bad without the B14 CH in my opinion.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Lol yes, Capos are really not that bad, most of my rage of Capos come from Tekken 3 when I didn't know anything about how to actually play fighting games.

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Lol yes, Capos are really not that bad, most of my rage of Capos come from Tekken 3 when I didn't know anything about how to actually play fighting games.
TTT2 was my first serious Tekken, and they infuriated me in the beginning. Had to pick one up to learn what the fuck they were doing, lol.

One thing I do hope comes back is the decal editor, I was a boss with it!

One thing I'm concerned won't make it back is Tekken Tunes. With no way to save songs to your hard drive on either PS4 or XBONE, I think we're gonna get screwed out of this amazing feature. Been saving songs under a Tekken 7 playlist since the reveal, just in case.

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
im really excited for t7 but im bad at tekken :(

does t7 still have a ridiculous legacy curve?
Yes, but certain user friendly mechanics have been added, and oki set ups nerfed so, getting up correctly won't be nearly as difficult as in TTT2 [Damn I'm gonna miss that :(]

Most difficult things in Tekken are learning your opponents strings and frames to defend against, and the movement. Learning to defend should be easier this time around due to the 1V1 and the smaller roster.

Last edited:

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
She does not look nearly as strong as Capos were, but she can dance! For now, I am forced to hate her because so far... she killed Christie.
Think of it more like Christie inspired her. I'm sure being a pop idol and witnessing a foreign dancing fighting style infected her with the iron fist bug.

Man capos in T3 were a freaking mystery. My uncle had this one trick where Eddy would constantly "dance" on the ground I had no clue how to stop it. Couldn't even get close without getting kicked.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Regular throwss (1+3, 2+4) can be broken using either 1 or 2 now. Command throws still need the correct hand button though. I know sidestepping is reduced a bit but I'm not too sure on how exactly. Like the speed and/or distance of it isn't as much. Dude told me that a character or two benefit from this actually. Something like some good attacks are now harder to avoid and your better off just blocking. Idk since I can't play. Namco also made changes to the oki game, not too sure on that one. @SaltShaker can you fill us in on the system changes made to the game. I know there are no more bounds and that it's been replaced by the new tailspin for combos.
No problem. Any questions anyone just ask. And I'll be 100% honest, as much as I'm loving the game I can't stress how much I hate most of the new system changes. In short, it's dumbed down imo to appeal to more people. Gotta get those newer players off to a good start right? :/

THROWS- Now if you do a 1+3 or 2+4 throw, they can use 1 or 2 to break either. So it doesn't matter if you do 1+3 or 2+4, anyone with the reaction speed of a turtle will break. Regular throws are useless now. The problem is that most characters only have one or two other throws max, that are broken with 1+2. So throws are broken a lotttt more now. Some command throws like Asuka's DF2+3 throw you still break with 2, but not everyone has command throws outside of the 1+2 escapes. King will shine more than ever, because people will be used to breaking throws easier but newer players who don't know the escapes of King's chain grabs and the timings will have it rough. I know the MU's (of the returning characters) so when I see certain throw animations I knew whether to push 1 or 2 to escape or 1+2. I hate that they've dumbed it down. Instead of looking at the throw animation and breaking on reaction, now I can mindlessly just push 1+2 1 to break 90% of throws in the game. Side grabs are still exclusive to knowing the 1 or the 2 though, but you'd have to side step there. That's coming up soon.

OKI- As they say, "back in my day we played Tekken 5, and at a high level if you didn't know what you were doing you would die on the ground". Oh how I miss those days. This is blatantly the most obvious of the "beginner friendly" changes. It is incredibly easy to get off of the ground now, and at worst you may be ground spiked once. Casuals and even intermediate players, above all else hated being bodied on the ground back then, even though they just misused their options or were punished for bad reads. The answer? Lower the oki each game after Tekken 5 to the point where now it's weaker than any Tekken ever. Instead of dominant oki that you're used to, you can get of a spike if they make a bad read and then apply pressure as they get up. That's basically how it works now. Someone is celebrating this change right now, but it isn't me.

SIDESTEP- Nevermind, because THIS is the biggest change made for beginners and new players. No more knowing which way to side step block (call it SSB)and how far to against each character. Nope. It is dead. Better off going back and forward with slight steps. I don't know the frames, but there is a clear delay in the SSB now so you can't utilize the old Tekken style of movement. Like when I SSL and try to cancel into back and SSL again, Tekken moving, there's a few frames of delay before I can step again. During that you can no longer block and can be poked or combo'd. So where you used to be able to evade or position at angle with SSB to stay safe using that magnificent MU knowledge, now you will be hit because you can't block in time after cutting a side step. They are cautious types of movements now, not the core. It is much more "I'm in front of you like a 2D fighter" than the Tekken I'm used to. Again, I don't like it, but I guess it takes to much to learn all the proper movements so it had to go. :/

FOCUS PUNCH- It's pretty much the SF Focus absorb, but you can't cancel it. They are unsafe on block and you absorb damage to land a hit. Dislike them, but the only change that doesn't "bother" me as much as the others. I don't feel like this is balanced at all. Some characters have really weak ones like Kazumi, that barely does any damage compared to what you absorb. Some like Bryan that knock you back. Some like Paul who pops you into the air for a full combo of unscaled damage even if they hit you with it on the wall! Not a bad idea, but very poorly balanced across the cast, and I wish their was a limit to the amount of times it could be used.

SUPER ARTS- Tekken with supers. When you're low on health and in rage, you can do your "Rage Arts". Full combo punishable on block, about 37% damage or so if you land it. You get only one. They have armor and you take damage, and you can die before it hits if you absorb fatal damage. If you interrupt a gap with a rage art you hit it, which I hate the most. Armor'ing through gaps with Supers in Tekken? Really? You can also combo into them, which does about 45% depending on the combo. I'm too old school to be on the verge of winning, applying pressure on block, just to be Super'd doing a 121 and die. I can see why some like it also, but another change I hate.

COMBOS- They have the "tailspin" now which is pretty cool. You do certain strings in combos, and then do another string that "tailspins" to finish the combo. Those moves are different from the ones that break the ground for combo extensions. You can also do moves at the wall on certain stages that knocks them to the next level. It opens up SO many combo extension opportunities, and to maximize your damage (because damage is less unless your name is Shaheen) you have to be fully aware of the stage positioning and combo you are using. All combo fillers are not good for all situations so you really have to know which is which and when to use what. Finally an amazing change. I love it and how it incorporates much more moves than before in different launchers for the best outcomes:

All in all, I really don't like the "let's bring the skill gap closer" changes. These changes are 100% for people lesser skilled to play better, casuals, and for newer players and beginners to play better than they would have. Removing advanced options because it's "too advanced for others" is the worst possible decision imo. If the game itself wasn't as amazing as it is in gameplay it would probably be enough to dislike it as a whole. But the game is really really fun still, the characters play smooth, the technical aspects are still there, the poke/pressure game is still real, a lot of aspects are still the same and great, just some of the depth is gone.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Also, from the movesets and using the characters, watching others, I really think some characters are clear replacements. The moves and mannerisms are dead giveaways. These are the ones who are gone or likely gone, and the % I think.

Gigas- 100% replaced Marduk. Most obvious. Marduk won't be back.

Claudio- 50% replaced Miguel. My friend is dead set on him being a Miguel replacement but I don't see it. We're split.

Josie- 100% replaced Bruce. Lol Bruce died just to come back and be replaced.

Katarina- 100% replaced Anna. Possibly Nina? We used her more tonight and had no idea how many of Anna's moves she has. The only question is does it mean Nina too since Anna/Nina have similar moves and it's incredibly weird to not have Nina announced with 27 characters already. She does have Nina's wall carry poke poke poke combo so it's possible.

Kazumi- No one. New altogether with some Mishima-esque moves mixed with completely new stuff.

Lucky Chloe- 85% replaced Eddy/Christie. Has their regular grab, a lot of their moves, etc. Not 100% because I wouldn't be surprised to see "one" of them come back, but not both. It's likely neither though.

Shaheen- 75% replaced Raven. Only not higher because he is so different in character, but the moves are there. Similar animation slide, same UF3, etc.

Armor King is gone too. King has some of his exclusive moves that were in T6/TTT2.

As long as Julia and Lee make it the roster will be perfectly fine for me lol.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

Yea I'll get back to you on Sunday with her. I used her myself. She seems decent so far, pretty easy on the execution, nothing mind blowing but nothing crappy either. Gonna give her more play time this weekend though. I went a little overboard with Josie lol.

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
I reeaaally hope Julia comes back as Jaycee again, that moveset upgrade made her so much more fun than she used to be.

Plus that costume is awesome.

Marduk/Jaycee was one of my favorite teams towards the end of my TTT2 days, they had some great synergy(plus I liked the idea of a badass wrasslin' duo and King and AK didn't vibe as well with me).
I personally felt Jaycee moveset was a huge downgrade.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Gigas- 100% replaced Marduk. Most obvious. Marduk won't be back.

Craig... Craig was a good man, he deserved better than this. His entire personality was just insults and wild yelling, and he had a move called PYTHON EXPLOSION, and that shit was fucking sick. He had a grab for literally every situation possible. He was the most grapplery grappler to ever grapple with grapples. Every hit landed felt satisfying and brutal. From a gameplay standpoint It was like he was made of pure happiness and enjoyment, I can't imagine anyone not having fun using him. He was perfect I tell you, absolutely flawless! If they're slapping his stuff onto Gigas they better not puss out part way and leave out the best bits, I swear...

All i'm saying is If I can't do flying tackles in Tekken 7 I guess i'll just have to make this razor do a flying tackle across my wrist. #CUT4CRAIG

Does that big red fucker even have comboable air throws?

Last edited:

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Craig... Craig was a good man, he deserved better than this. He was the most grapplery grappler to ever grapple with grapples.
This was my favorite thing I've read here all week, good stuff Pterodactyl. Second best was Jacqui being 11th on the tier list. And don't worry, we'll be able to do ISW combo enders with Julia.

haketh

Noob
I really doubt Gigas is gonna replace Marduk becaue he's missing well everything important that makes Marduk Marduk

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I really doubt Gigas is gonna replace Marduk becaue he's missing well everything important that makes Marduk Marduk
You can't be serious.

He has one of Marduk's air throws @Pterodactyl (the slam down air throw), same height, the same 21 animation, the same F2F1 with the exact same hit properties, the exact same F2D1 alternate of the string, exact same DF21 (I think that was it, the 2 mids that hit away), exact same kick into headbutt move animation, exact same D3 animation, exact same D31, exact same advancing low poke with exactly the same animation, exact same shoulder Pop up animation, same oki stomp animation, a couple of the same WR moves, etc. That's just off of the top of my head at 7:48AM watching tv before I go to work.

He may have a few new moves and is a diff character with a diff playstyle, but he directly copied 75% of Marduk's movelist to do it. No way Craig comes back after having so much of his movelist stripped and literally copied.