What's new

General/Other - Dragon Naginata Tanya Dragon Naginata Discussion Thread

So correct me if I'm wrong but the nerfs didn't impact DN that much did they? Just hurt the other two variations? Aside from damage.

Last edited:

skater11

The saltiest
@SEV , hey man I've purchased Tanya just right after the latest Tanya nerf. And reading through this whole thread I found you to be a very good contributor. Just wanted to ask what you think about her latest nerf and what are her options now? I'm a bit confused getting to this character, this late. Did anything drastically change in terms of pressure, combos, block strings, etc..?

SEV

Noob
@SEV , hey man I've purchased Tanya just right after the latest Tanya nerf. And reading through this whole thread I found you to be a very good contributor. Just wanted to ask what you think about her latest nerf and what are her options now? I'm a bit confused getting to this character, this late. Did anything drastically change in terms of pressure, combos, block strings, etc..?
Eh, haven't messed around with Tanya for a minute so I'm not too sure how they affected her, really. From what I've heard, people are saying that Kobu Jutsu is the way to go now because DN was hurt the most by the changes, and that's coming from people that would certainly know better than I do, Deg being the most prominent name.

But theory wise, I don't see how it could have killed it completely; she can still cancel a teleport into pogo stance to get around the -10 landing change and I'm not sure how much damage she lost but DN has always done well in the meterless damage department.

As far as I know, nothing has changed with her pressure or teleport cancels; I've always thought canceling into forward teleport was a bad idea because if people knew how to deal it, it was punishable; canceling into back teleport is safer, and on hit from the low starter, B32, it could still be canceled for a full combo. I'm sure all variations will start doing this more now after these new changes.

If something hurt her badly it would have been losing the invincibility frames because there is risk of getting knocked out of her teleport when you try to do it when jumping off the pogo, so she just has to be more calculated with her mobility, but that goes for all of the variations now.

Some of the patches fixed the issues that she had in Kobu Jutsu, mainly being the gaps in her low string which could have really killed the variation in the long run, and also, Kobu always had better utility to begin with, so it being the stronger variation now, over DN, would make sense.

Saying that DN is no longer viable may be jumping the gun, but like I said, I don't really know at the moment.

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
SEV is pretty much right. The main thing though is her damage in Naginata is lesser than in Kobu although it is meterless. The pogo makes up for the recovery frames so the mobility is still there. But tbh This variation is the hardest to play and probably the worst, as her 50/50 is very hard to get off consistently and it relies on your opponent being unable to get you off the pole.

If you want to play it you should as it is fun and still pretty good, but Kobu has pretty much completely surpassed it utility wise.

skater11

The saltiest
Yeah no matter what, I'm playing this variation just like I play sun god Kotal over war god. It's just so much fun for me to pass up for a more "viable" variation. I have her combos down pretty well and all.

skater11

The saltiest
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but is it possible to do a neutral JUMP-IN punch not NJP after landing 2 d2's pogo stances. For example, if I have my opponent in the corner and I do f2xxtele forward d2, f2-d2...after that I'm forced to use a NJP/NJK? Is there a way to jump in punch/kick?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but is it possible to do a neutral JUMP-IN punch not NJP after landing 2 d2's pogo stances. For example, if I have my opponent in the corner and I do f2xxtele forward d2, f2-d2...after that I'm forced to use a NJP/NJK? Is there a way to jump in punch/kick?
I believe you just do another f2 out of pogo into your jip.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
This variation is so bad after the teleport nerf... ;_;

It's the only var I will play with her though, the most fun to play by a long shot.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"

It's the only var I will play with her though, the most fun to play by a long shot.
This variation is still very good. Gets 40+ for a meter off of instant overheads and has some of the longest reaching pokes in the game (b2 and bf2).

B3 into IA OH is deadly. And d4 into bf2 jails and puts plenty space between u and the opponent if u can squeeze it out.

It needs a lil work, but not much. I still believe it's very solid.

Goat-City

Banned

Can you or somebody else tell me what was nerfed about Tanya's teleport? I know it was originally invincible but was that all that was nerfed about it? I'm just wondering if it needed to be nerfed so much or at all as long as they toned the Kobu Jutsu variation down in other areas instead.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Can you or somebody else tell me what was nerfed about Tanya's teleport? I know it was originally invincible but was that all that was nerfed about it? I'm just wondering if it needed to be nerfed so much or at all as long as they toned the Kobu Jutsu variation down in other areas instead.
You can no longer apply pressure if any of your jump ins are blocked when you do them from the teleport.
Ex teleport no longer has armor as well besides losing its invincibility frames.
there is a 10f recovery everytime you teleport without connecting, raw landing or whiffing attacks

however there is this glitch that allows you to cancel the landing frame of a empty teleport with any other moves tanya has except blocking, but doesn't change anything in particular.

Goat-City

Banned
You can no longer apply pressure if any of your jump ins are blocked when you do them from the teleport.
Ex teleport no longer has armor as well besides losing its invincibility frames.
there is a 10f recovery everytime you teleport without connecting, raw landing or whiffing attacks

however there is this glitch that allows you to cancel the landing frame of a empty teleport with any other moves tanya has except blocking, but doesn't change anything in particular.
Ok thanks. That first 1 you listed definitely doesn't seem necessary, and it doesn't make any sense either why a blocked jump in after her teleport would be less plus than a regular blocked jump in. As for the other nerfs you listed, I'm not sure how needed they are.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
The thing that sucks is that the teleport nerfs hurt DN and Pyromancer more than Kobu, Kobu is still top 3 which the other 2 are mid tier or so.
They're worse coz they were designed with the original telepoet in mind and without it they became like Ryu without a DP all of the sudden. A major part in his toolset is gone all of the sudden with nothing to compensate.
Hopefully KP2 fixes that by giving DN something, maybe less - frames on blocked pogo or have ex bf2 as a separate move or string coz who the fuck uses that like, ever..

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
This variation is still very good. Gets 40+ for a meter off of instant overheads and has some of the longest reaching pokes in the game (b2 and bf2).

B3 into IA OH is deadly. And d4 into bf2 jails and puts plenty space between u and the opponent if u can squeeze it out.

Who are you playing? I haven't gotten the supposed "instant overhead" to connect even once ever. Everyone I've ever played has blocked it every single time. Damage doesn't mean anything when you have no way open up your opponent. A blocked Pogo is punished every time by knowledgable opponents.

I just don't see it.

EMPEROR PRYCE

Who are you playing? I haven't gotten the supposed "instant overhead" to connect even once ever. Everyone I've ever played has blocked it every single time. Damage doesn't mean anything when you have no way open up your opponent. A blocked Pogo is punished every time by knowledgable opponents.

I just don't see it.
I play high level competition if that's what you are asking. It's all about getting as much damage from b3 as possible, making them scared of the low.

Also, most people's default block is low, and if u stagger your strings.. Normally you can catch them slipping.

EMPEROR PRYCE

I just don't see it.

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to add...

A d1, d3 or d4 into teleport xx pogo will catch almost all counter poke attempts as well. I hit a lot of my pogos like that.

I don't play her as a rushdown style character though. I am super runaway oriented with her and focus mostly on whiff punishing and pushing to the corner.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I play high level competition if that's what you are asking. It's all about getting as much damage from b3 as possible, making them scared of the low.

Also, most people's default block is low, and if u stagger your strings.. Normally you can catch them slipping.
Reading back my post, it looks like I'm totally serious. Both of my posts reviving this thread, the initial one and my first reply to you were jokes. I tried to make it obvious with the "Everyone I've ever played has blocked it every single time." but even reading that back I sound uninformed and r3tarded lol ... I apologize.

I know this variation is good. It did lose a lot of versatility with the teleport nerfs, but has a lot going for it for sure. I used the iOH a ton tonight and got the easy 41% off of it each time. Too fun. BF2 is a really great move as well.

Dragons Rule!!!

"I enjoy these encounters."
So idk if this is new or old, but I recently found out you can do b1 ex tele into pogo. Not sure if it's damage optimal, but it sure is stylish!;) ....and a waste of 1 bar. lol

BangBang

Noob

Please could you explain what Instant Air Overhead string are you referring to)

Mr_Zatara

Fulltime Bimbo/Spellaholic
If this variation was ever to be buffed, I would simply love the ability to throw her naginata just like Aquaman's trident in injustice.

Doubt it will happen though.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Do you guys think DN has any clearly favorable matchups? If so which ones?
Personally I think she beats Sub, Kotal, Jason, Dvorah, Bo and maybe Cassie.

Honestly any character that struggles in keeping Tanya out of the air is pretty good imo, you get more time/space to play with and frustrate them. Also characters that struggle in punishing B2 and her other moves is usually good for DN.

Personally I think she beats Sub, Kotal, Jason, Dvorah, Bo and maybe Cassie.

Honestly any character that struggles in keeping Tanya out of the air is pretty good imo, you get more time/space to play with and frustrate them. Also characters that struggle in punishing B2 and her other moves is usually good for DN.
Naginata gets mopped by Cassie, D'Vorah and Jason.

Cassie doesnt allow tanya to get in air. Ia gunshots, punishes pogo stance and ex bf2 with about 29% meterless or 34 1bar vortex. Makes b2 useless
Dvorah punishes tanya extremely hard and cant hit pogo because of dvorahs d2. F2 tele ji doesnt jail on her on block cause of hitbox and she anti airs that for 27% meterless into setup with puddle.
Jason just mops her by his charge and his fist moves, his anti air grabs her out of pogo stance.

She doesnt win any matches in naginata, goes even with sub, reptile, jacqui and liu kang. Thats about it. Rest of the matches she loses.

She has 3 2-8 mus
Milrrna, shinnok and jax