What's new

General/Other - Dragon Naginata Tanya Dragon Naginata Discussion Thread

The 50/50 off of the jump in seems really easy to block because the d2 overhead is too fast. Once people know that its an option they only have to stand block a little longer and then easily react to tanya landing to block the low.
That's right, at the very least with a little practice time anybody can learn to fuzzy guard it if they can't react, it may be viable as an option occasionally but it is not the most useful one.
ji1 d2 4 is a decent, mostly safe frame trap though, with which you can mix up the timing to bait a reaction or teach your opponent to respect the string and then go for the overhead or low, or a jump in for more pressure.
There is also plenty of mixup potential from the teleport cancel, as several strings into telecancel give you plus frames, which means you can block or d1 them out out of their anti-air once they start reading the teleports.
Tricky stuff.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
so does anyone have the actual pogo framedata?
the game says -20 but it doesn't feel like that number is accurate >___> haven't done any testing on that yet so I thought I'd ask to see if anyone else did.

Last edited:

Notez4

Noob
Been playing around with her for a lil bit in this variation. 35 % meterless is what I've gotten to pull off off of a standing 1 punish. Is that good or are there more optimal numbers here?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Its Pogo time boys

To land this combo easier, you want to pogo as if you're willing to crossup, so when you get out of the pogo stance into jump 1 it has less possibilities of whiff or missing the string at all.

Dragon Naginata is where the damage is at!

49% with 2 bars, basically, half the health if you get the first hit ;)
my friend and I have been coming up with amazing combos!

here's a taste: 112~bf4MB b31 112~df3MB~d1 RC~b32~db4

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Dragon Naginata is where the damage is at!

49% with 2 bars, basically, half the health if you get the first hit ;)
my friend and I have been coming up with amazing combos!

here's a taste: 112~bf4MB b31 112~df3MB~d1 RC~b32~db4
A taste? I'm having so much fun.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
At first I thought this was gonna be a gimmicky, all show, no substance variation, but now that I got down the d2, f2, 2 links down I'm so into it. Reminds me of Yoshimitsu's flea stance but more fun to use. I haven't taken Dragon Naginata outside of training so I was wondering; what happens if the opponent sweeps the Naginata when Tanya is standing on it?

I have her d2 combos down really well, but I'm still struggling with the cross up jip after the two d2's. I like all of her variations but this one is probably my favorite. Kobu Jutsu is close but not as fun.

I would rate Tanya's variations:

1. Dragon Naginata
2. Kobu Jutsu
3. Pyromancer

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
At first I thought this was gonna be a gimmicky, all show, no substance variation, but now that I got down the d2, f2, 2 links down I'm so into it. Reminds me of Yoshimitsu's flea stance but more fun to use. I haven't taken Dragon Naginata outside of training so I was wondering; what happens if the opponent sweeps the Naginata when Tanya is standing on it?

I have her d2 combos down really well, but I'm still struggling with the cross up jip after the two d2's. I like all of her variations but this one is probably my favorite. Kobu Jutsu is close but not as fun.

I would rate Tanya's variations:

1. Dragon Naginata
2. Kobu Jutsu
3. Pyromancer
Pogo Stance is a high profile move with disjointed hitbox, nothing that goes low or mids that goes under Tanyas leg will hit, it dodges Kotal's X-Ray too.

I prefer to land a J1 instead of J2 out of d2 hits, but the trick is to hit them as if you're willing to cross up, so you can ensure your jump in hits when you get out of the stance.

Her BD2 is also a real anti-air normal with some good range.

I've taken her out of the lab a few days, and i will do more so today and in the next days, i need to master the pogo.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Pogo Stance is a high profile move with disjointed hitbox, nothing that goes low or mids that goes under Tanyas leg will hit, it dodges Kotal's X-Ray too.

I prefer to land a J1 instead of J2 out of d2 hits, but the trick is to hit them as if you're willing to cross up, so you can ensure your jump in hits when you get out of the stance.

Her BD2 is also a real anti-air normal with some good range.

I've taken her out of the lab a few days, and i will do more so today and in the next days, i need to master the pogo.
That's awesome! Thanks for the info. I kinda wish it was like Yoshimitsu's flea stance where the opponent actually takes damage if the attack low, but dodging mids and lows is still cool.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Its Pogo time boys

To land this combo easier, you want to pogo as if you're willing to crossup, so when you get out of the pogo stance into jump 1 it has less possibilities of whiff or missing the string at all.
How are you getting njp after teleport? I'm just getting jip.

I'm still trying to figure out the teleport cancels etc, but her pressure seems inescapable. I'd like some feedback from you naginata mainers.

Glicnak

Noob
So... I was having a lot of trouble landing JIP - pogo stance - JIP - pogo stance (which starts off a lot of good combos for her)

And then i decided to try mashing 2 as fast as i could while just worrying about timing the directional inputs. It works really consistently (for me at least). It feels very wrong though, if at least in principle :p Does anyone have any tips for this? Or can anyone convince me that mashing 2 isn't that bad as long as its working very consistently?

^Nothing wrong with that - as long as it works.

I prefer to double tap the air d2s though - you might want to look into that once you feel more comfortable with the d2 combos.

Just curious - what are some of your options after teleport cancels in block string with this version. I want to go into b3 but its really tough unless you delay it. (due to overlapping inputs). For example after a blocked 112

My main options -
instant air d2
d3
block
teleport
Throw

Any good options im missing?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
DN is by FAR the best variation. Meterless damage from 35-39% and such good normals to hit confirm with. Whiff punishing with f2 is so gratifying. In other variations, you have to use meter to get damage but not in DN... and you don't need projectiles with her crazy mobility.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
DN is by FAR the best variation. Meterless damage from 35-39% and such good normals to hit confirm with. Whiff punishing with f2 is so gratifying. In other variations, you have to use meter to get damage but not in DN... and you don't need projectiles with her crazy mobility.
Its strongly footsie oriented, as much as the meterless damage is good, you trade that with meter build, which is insane in both pyromancer and Kobujutsu.

Tanya is just awesome in general, i'm having a blast and despites of losing sometimes i know its just that i'm not where i want to be with her, but i will definitely get there.

Also her Standing 2 is a legit anti-air

SEV

Noob
So after watching Jr's match against Honeybee, it would probably be a good idea to start using back teleport more off of B32. On hit you can tpc into full combo still, but on block it'll probably be a lot safer, and if they try to chase you can go into pogo stance and impose pressure from there. And this way people may not be as quick to react when you go for forward teleport, either.

Last edited:

delbuster

hungry
Just curious - what are some of your options after teleport cancels in block string with this version. I want to go into b3 but its really tough unless you delay it. (due to overlapping inputs). For example after a blocked 112

My main options -
instant air d2
d3
block
teleport
Throw

Any good options im missing?
just 11, lets you do stuff if they keep blocking expecting the 112.

Arkayne

Jade Mod. Poison Ivy
Been doing my freelance art/commissions and getting ready for a move to San Diego! Hahaha but I am streaming with a friend of mine right now at twitch.tv/nicsajedi.

I'll have some of the videos of soon still deeply testing.