What's new

General/Other - Dragon Naginata Tanya Dragon Naginata Discussion Thread

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Jacqui and Liu Kang are horrible imo, with air rockets and air fireballs you can't do anything in the air.

I've never played a top notch Dvorah but from the ones I've played as long as you don't pogo over her coz of her crazy d2 you can manage, but I'll trust your opinion on this more than mine coz I'm mostly likely getting away with more than I should against her.

For Cassie I was mainly talking about her other 2 variations, hollywood's air guns are pretty annoying. What move is bf2?

OfficialYungmonster

Run and Tell ya mama bout that
Who are you playing? I haven't gotten the supposed "instant overhead" to connect even once ever. Everyone I've ever played has blocked it every single time. Damage doesn't mean anything when you have no way open up your opponent. A blocked Pogo is punished every time by knowledgable opponents.

I just don't see it.
You have ps4?

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
I found out Tanya teleport scales combo damage really hard. It reduces damage of next hits to 0.8. Oh my god that's so unfair when DN and Pyro needs that in combos, and regular teleport doesn't even do damage.

OfficialYungmonster

Run and Tell ya mama bout that
I found out Tanya teleport scales combo damage really hard. It reduces damage of next hits to 0.8. Oh my god that's so unfair when DN and Pyro needs that in combos, and regular teleport doesn't even do damage.
Her teleports scale less because NRS needed a way for the teleports to stop being abused

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I'm having trouble playing this variation. Been trying all day but just can't put it all together in a real match. I feel like I never have meter to zone even though I don't use much meter.

Scott The Scot

....did you mean to post this in the Pyromancer thread? Lol
So, like... DN is supposed to have loads of meter?

EDIT: Oh I seeee... You were being serious because I said 'zone' lol. Uh I'm for realsies talking about Pogo Tanya. I'm trying to just sort of zone with B2 and use my mobility and stuff to keep away but it doesn't seem to be working. Rushing down doesn't seem to work either for me, I just get hit out of using pogo all the time and it's quite annoying lol. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with her, y'know?

Last edited:

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
So, like... DN is supposed to have loads of meter?

EDIT: Oh I seeee... You were being serious because I said 'zone' lol. Uh I'm for realsies talking about Pogo Tanya. I'm trying to just sort of zone with B2 and use my mobility and stuff to keep away but it doesn't seem to be working. Rushing down doesn't seem to work either for me, I just get hit out of using pogo all the time and it's quite annoying lol. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with her, y'know?
Well I mean you don't need meter to press the b2 button. :DOGE

Nothing in pogo stance is guaranteed after they block the first stance. It's a free njp for the most of the cast. Only Pogo 4 "jails" enough to beat the njp option but that has a gap that can be armored out of.

You're suppose to hope the opponent isn't good at learning things on the fly or has any experience against the character. Gimmick them out. :DOGE

Scott The Scot

Well I mean you don't need meter to press the b2 button. :DOGE

Nothing in pogo stance is guaranteed after they block the first stance. It's a free njp for the most of the cast. Only Pogo 4 "jails" enough to beat the njp option but that has a gap that can be armored out of.

You're suppose to hope the opponent isn't good at learning things on the fly or has any experience against the character. Gimmick them out. :DOGE
The meter is so that I can break for when I inevitably get jabbed out of pogo and combo'd :p

I don't want to gimmick people out, I want to be really mobile and annoying to fight against but it feels hard in this variation. It's only day 1 for me and I feel like I have a long road to go lol.

I just want my really mobile hit and run character like I would play MK9 Smoke :(

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
The meter is so that I can break for when I inevitably get jabbed out of pogo and combo'd :p

I don't want to gimmick people out, I want to be really mobile and annoying to fight against but it feels hard in this variation. It's only day 1 for me and I feel like I have a long road to go lol.
Then you playing the wrong character buddy.

Dragons Rule!!!

"I enjoy these encounters."
I'm having trouble playing this variation. Been trying all day but just can't put it all together in a real match. I feel like I never have meter to zone even though I don't use much meter.
Dragon Naginata is one of those variations where it takes a little more time. It's not going to be all that easy, but it will once you get the hang of it. You say you want to be somewhat annoying and mobile in a fight. That's Great! However, keep in mind pogo stance is like -20 (I think...:cool:). If you pogo and your opponent blocks it, try jumping back. It actually gets you out of harms way. You could also do staff stance 3 due to her odd hurtbox, But it's kinda risky. It's also risky to be mobile and annoying, but it's worth it. Maybe you could also try using DN's space control a bit more too. You'd be surprised how many people get hit with B1 from a distance.:p As for how to play Dragon Naginata, it depends on what your more comfortable with, space control, annoying mobility, lol even unpredictable is an option.

Scott The Scot

Dragon Naginata is one of those variations where it takes a little more time. It's not going to be all that easy, but it will once you get the hang of it. You say you want to be somewhat annoying and mobile in a fight. That's Great! However, keep in mind pogo stance is like -20 (I think...:cool:). If you pogo and your opponent blocks it, try jumping back. It actually gets you out of harms way. You could also do staff stance 3 due to her odd hurtbox, But it's kinda risky. It's also risky to be mobile and annoying, but it's worth it. Maybe you could also try using DN's space control a bit more too. You'd be surprised how many people get hit with B1 from a distance.:p As for how to play Dragon Naginata, it depends on what your more comfortable with, space control, annoying mobility, lol even unpredictable is an option.
Thanks for the response! I appreciate it a lot :)

I actually try and not hit them with pogo stance unless I read they're going to advance or push a button or something (so hard read) because of how negative is on block - if it's -20 that's hella punishable lol. I don't use stance 3 enough actually, I think I'll try and see what I can do with her other pogo options are like. Thanks again! :D

Dragons Rule!!!

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it a lot :)

I actually try and not hit them with pogo stance unless I read they're going to advance or push a button or something (so hard read) because of how negative is on block - if it's -20 that's hella punishable lol. I don't use stance 3 enough actually, I think I'll try and see what I can do with her other pogo options are like. Thanks again! :D
Of course! No problem. Lol I'm no expert, but I try to be helpful!

kingjack21

When's Mahvel
Guys help. Been playing Kobu all my MKX life but the DN light is so clear now. But...I can't connect pogo into my combo. F2, teleport, pogo doesn't connect in time, B3,1 teleport, pogo doesn't connect in time lol. is there any specific thing i'm doing wrong? i mash out D2 as soon as i can after the teleport but the combo drops.

Dragons Rule!!!

Well b3, 1 into pogo doesn't combo. I don't think it ever has. I wish it did though! As for f2 into pogo, it's timing specific, but not timing specific....:cool:. Lol it's hard for me to explain. My best explanation is: try to pogo the moment she's coming out of the teleport. If you do it too late, she'll pogo too late, if you do it too soon, she won't pogo at all. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful..:(
Try asking @Vak Phoenix . He's your go to guy for DN.

Lol my new favorite quote: "The DN light is so clear now."

kingjack21

When's Mahvel
Well b3, 1 into pogo doesn't combo. I don't think it ever has. I wish it did though! As for f2 into pogo, it's timing specific, but not timing specific....:cool:. Lol it's hard for me to explain. My best explanation is: try to pogo the moment she's coming out of the teleport. If you do it too late, she'll pogo too late, if you do it too soon, she won't pogo at all. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful..:(
Try asking @Vak Phoenix . He's your go to guy for DN.

Lol my new favorite quote: "The DN light is so clear now."
Will do bro. Thanks. You know you see the light too lol