What's new

Switching Sides: Why Carl “Perfect Legend” White is now Focusing on Street Fighter IV

E

Eldriken

I've recently seen him saying on Twitter that he's considering getting a Xbone.
Ah. He must have changed his mind recently. I don't know what thread it was in, but someone asked him about playing KI and he said he didn't intend on getting a One.

Dedamn666

Big Poppa Pump
Agree with him and the best of luck to him. I agree wholeheartedly with his comments about a COD like community dropping MK totally for Injustice. Such a shame MK has more or less died, it didn't have to.
I still think folk dropped it totally was due to NRS having pros in to test the game to create buzz.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I'll make one more comment

In the article there's a quote where perfect legend says "all mk community does is downplay my accomplishments"

Sword works both ways here because every time GGA 16 Bit beat him w kitana he NEVER gave props but always downplayed 16 bit's victory by saying "well I have no kitana to train with"

But that's Carl being Carl , just wanted to point that out how where he tries to make our community look bad it's himself who looks bad when he blames the following for any loss in any tournament or game

Screen lag
No headphones
Didn't know MU
No offline scene
Etc

Just own the loss and say "great job"

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
It is the delayed wake up feature that is bringing me back into Street Fighter.

It's kind of ironic that it was the NRS community that was introduced to the greatness that is Semi Evil Ryu before the Capcom community actually was....

Matix218

Get over here!
If I'm being honest the only 2 fighting games I like are umk3 and mk9

I don't enjoy street fighter very much and I play injustice but I dont really like it.

But I can understand why carl would want to play sf since the scene is so large and competitive

coolwhip

Noob
I'll make one more comment

In the article there's a quote where perfect legend says "all mk community does is downplay my accomplishments"

Sword works both ways here because every time GGA 16 Bit beat him w kitana he NEVER gave props but always downplayed 16 bit's victory by saying "well I have no kitana to train with"

But that's Carl being Carl , just wanted to point that out how where he tries to make our community look bad it's himself who looks bad when he blames the following for any loss in any tournament or game

Screen lag
No headphones
Didn't know MU
No offline scene
Etc

Just own the loss and say "great job"
I agree.

But I do think there's a serious difference between making excuse after a loss (which PL always does, in fairness), and downplaying the importance of someone winning EVO twice in a row, which the community is often guilty of. The shit he got after his first EVO win in particular was dumbfounding, and I still think the greatest moment in our community's history was him shutting everyone up (at least momentarily) the second time around. That accomplishment is huge. If he'd never bothered to touch a fighting stick ever again after that, it would have been understandable.

With that said, some of the shit PL gets, he brings it on himself.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
ha, offers paid lessons on a game he gives up on because he was never that good at it... smh.

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
I've heard more than one top player talk about quitting/switching due to community downplaying. On one hand, that's gotta be frustrating to have all those hours of work, study, travel, thought criticized by a bunch of mid level players and stream monsters. A lot of them don't even know how to watch a match, and much less apply work to what they see. On the other hand, leaving due to lack of praise suggests entitlement and caring too much about what others think.

coolwhip

Noob
Nooo he's really not, He's good at best.
Very good, no there's alot of people I would rank higher.
How many would you rank higher than him? 15? That still makes him very good. Results don't lie. He just went to the west coast and beat some of their best players like a week ago. He's beaten Brady, KDZ (twice), Chris G, Theo and other top players in tournament. That makes him very good.

Last edited:

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
How many would you rank higher than him? 15? That still makes him very good. Results don't lie. He just went to the west coast and beat some of their best players like a week ago. He's beaten Brady, KDZ (twice), Chris G and other top players in tournament. That makes him very good.
Oh right, I just don't see him as all that hype he's made out to be, I'm not saying he's bad though, just think he's a bit overrated in his skill is all.

I have no doubt PL could compete with the best of the US. But thats not the point, americans get mopped up by asians in street fighter. I just don't see anyone from america consistently beating people like daigo, infriltration, fuudo, xian, kazunoko, gamerbee, uryo, sako, tokido, juso, haitani etc. It just aint gonna happen. People who say street fighter has better competition than other games is right, but the only reason that is true is because of the people I listed. Justin Wong who has been regarded as the most succesful fighting gameplayer in history by the americans hasnt even made top 8 at evo for years.

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
I used to hate SF4.

One frame links are dumb

Difficult execution makes it feel like im fighting my controller, not my opponent

The lack of input buffer is just lazy programming

It takes more commitment then most games to get to a level where you can win against someone who is just mashing buttons consistently.

But then I found El Fuerte... .

Now I love Street Fighter <3
I've played for fun and I know exactly what you mean