What's new

Switching Sides: Why Carl “Perfect Legend” White is now Focusing on Street Fighter IV

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
I used to hate SF4.

One frame links are dumb

Difficult execution makes it feel like im fighting my controller, not my opponent

The lack of input buffer is just lazy programming

It takes more commitment then most games to get to a level where you can win against someone who is just mashing buttons consistently.

But then I found El Fuerte... .

Now I love Street Fighter <3
Lack of input buffering is not lazy programming. It favors using your reactions and hit confirming.

I think Perfect Legend should just get into 'Blizzard: Heroes of the Storm' when it drops, I want to put together a team.

That game is going to be where the real competition is in a few years, and it's always a good idea to get into these games types of games early.

I plan on playing: Kerrigan, Naziba (Witchdoctor), Gazlowe

Lack of input buffering is not lazy programming. It favors using your reactions and hit confirming.
To an extent, but not really.

For example: let's say a character has a two-move linker.

The first move is safe on block and hit; you can't interrupt it on block with a regular poke.

What reason is there to not allow input to be buffered between the first and second hit?

For street fighter, you have links that have divergent paths, where you can link one move into multiple other choices. Most of the times these second moves have different properties based on frame data, maybe one move will be interruptible if you try the link after a block, while the other isn't. In that case, you'd still have to hit-confirm if you want to go for the interruptible-on block move instead of the move that is uninterruptable no matter what.

There's still hit-confirming, there's still reactions. You've just taken out of the equation something as arbitray of whether someone hits a button on time or not. Even the pro's cannot get 1-frame links at 100% consistency. To that effect it feels like luck can dictate a match if someone happens to lose because they missed a link- just by virtue of these links being so hard you can't blame someone for missing them sometimes.

I have no doubt PL could compete with the best of the US. But thats not the point, americans get mopped up by asians in street fighter. I just don't see anyone from america consistently beating people like daigo, infriltration, fuudo, xian, kazunoko, gamerbee, uryo, sako, tokido, juso, haitani etc. It just aint gonna happen. People who say street fighter has better competition than other games is right, but the only reason that is true is because of the people I listed. Justin Wong who has been regarded as the most succesful fighting gameplayer in history by the americans hasnt even made top 8 at evo for years.
Isn't Jwong's main focus Marvel v Capcom though? MVC2 is where most of his success came from, and I know back then when he was playing SF2 he didn't care for it that much, not sure if that's changed much with SF4 but MVC is still his main game.

I wish PL the best. I was never big on Street Fighter, and I fully admit to being trash at it, but I began a quest a few weeks ago to become legit as a way to help my fundamentals and footsies. It's been pretty rough. I have to say that the more I play that game the more in awe I become at what I see during their tournaments.

RM Truth

To an extent, but not really.

For example: let's say a character has a two-move linker.

The first move is safe on block and hit; you can't interrupt it on block with a regular poke.

What reason is there to not allow input to be buffered between the first and second hit?

For street fighter, you have links that have divergent paths, where you can link one move into multiple other choices. Most of the times these second moves have different properties based on frame data, maybe one move will be interruptible if you try the link after a block, while the other isn't. In that case, you'd still have to hit-confirm if you want to go for the interruptible-on block move instead of the move that is uninterruptable no matter what.

There's still hit-confirming, there's still reactions. You've just taken out of the equation something as arbitray of whether someone hits a button on time or not. Even the pro's cannot get 1-frame links at 100% consistency. To that effect it feels like luck can dictate a match if someone happens to lose because they missed a link- just by virtue of these links being so hard you can't blame someone for missing them sometimes.
It's the nature of the games mechanics. Players have dealt with it for 20 yrs.

DarkPage

Noob
This is sortve sad, but could be good too, especially if he goes out and becomes a real big deal, it would give NRS games more credibility especially lets say hes gets like top 3 in a major at streetfighter, then whenever MK10 comes out, or if he gets serious about injustice again and does well there, it will help solidify that the game isnt to blame and more the skill of the player. Which might slowly bring all the communities together to be one huge FGC instead the FGC and its sub areas. Which is probably the only true way for there to be any decent money in fighting games.

Also, Would be a good thing for all fighting game players to branch out and play different games.

I hope he does well and shows that our community can compete at other games too. By our community, I mean everyone except me.

It's the nature of the games mechanics. Players have dealt with it for 20 yrs.
Yeah, but I don't think the mechanic is there explicitly to make the gameplay better, it's just a side-effect, and it can be tweaked a bit to allow players to focus more on fighting an less on arbitrary timing.

I think Capcom was kinda expirimenting with this in SFxT. That game still has links, but it also has true strings.

There's also alot of restrictions on which point you can cancel a move into a special etc, especially with the light -> medium -> heavy stuff.

They seemed like they were aiming to make things a bit easier with controls but without upsetting the balance.

I'd be willing to be money that SF5 will have alot more input buffer. I just wish they had done a bit more to move things forward with SF4.

Isn't Jwong's main focus Marvel v Capcom though? MVC2 is where most of his success came from, and I know back then when he was playing SF2 he didn't care for it that much, not sure if that's changed much with SF4 but MVC is still his main game.
he played the older street fighters as well. In street fighter 4 he was pretty much daigo's rival between 2009-2010.

RM Truth

Yeah, but I don't think the mechanic is there explicitly to make the gameplay better, it's just a side-effect, and it can be tweaked a bit to allow players to focus more on fighting an less on arbitrary timing.

I think Capcom was kinda expirimenting with this in SFxT. That game still has links, but it also has true strings.

There's also alot of restrictions on which point you can cancel a move into a special etc, especially with the light -> medium -> heavy stuff.

They seemed like they were aiming to make things a bit easier with controls but without upsetting the balance.

I'd be willing to be money that SF5 will have alot more input buffer. I just wish they had done a bit more to move things forward with SF4.
The strings were there to appeal to the Tekken fans. SF will never move away from link combos. They've been staple in the series in forever.

Let the man pursue his dreams. The negativity on this site baffles me.

Side note: He is right to say that people have downplayed his accomplishments. Notable players such as Pig, m2dave, and Chris G have all had their accomplishments downplayed as well. Our community loves to shit peoples achievements.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Guess those EVOS adn all the tournaments he's won or placed highly in never happened.
Thats not even close to the point I was making. Did you even read what i wrote? I was saying base your success on your own merits..he wins big tournaments..he should feel successful. rather than winning tournies then quitting the game because he isnt getting the attention he feels he deserves

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I think what he really meant was, Street fighter is actually well made and pretty much complete...I'm going to play that instead of NRS games that are only ever halfway finished and then abandoned.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Okay...legit and serious question; why is Street Fighter so highly regarded? Is it high execution? Is it tremendously balanced? What separates top players from mediocre players?
Have you never played any of the SF games? I’ll PM you. In short though, the game has amazingly deep yomi, awesome footsies, is incredibly balanced in its current incarnation, and offers a massive variety of playstyles. Depending on your character, the game tends to require slightly more execution than MK, IGAU or Tekken. SF4 has been the only fighting game my friends and I have played constantly since release and still love… it’s just fun.

I was actually quite psyched to see this article. I look forward to seeing how PL does if he seriously throws his hat into the arena. I wonder how he’s going to deal with being somewhat behind in terms of learning all of that matchups, setups, option selects, etc, though after seeing Chris G level up hard in SF4 in a short amount of time, I wouldn’t be surprised if PL could do it too.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Part of the problem is that people are not able to take comments at face value. This leads to people confusing honesty with downplaying/upplaying and vice/versa and it prevents any kind of logical discussion. Let me go through a series of statements and look at them in staight-up-logical way, no emotions no BS:

1) Player X won EVO

This is factual. You can't dispute it. It's an objective accomplishment. Taken by itself, you can't argue with this statement

2) Winning EVO Doesn't Make You the "Best player of X game" or "Best player of X game for a year"

This SHOULD also be factual. The problem is that making this statement causes people to think that you're downplaying EVO or minimizing the victory. But you aren't.

The truth is that while EVO is a big tournament (and often, the biggest tournament of the year for a given game), it is one tournament -- it happens on one given weekend. Whoever plays better and/or has a friendlier path through the bracket on that weekend, and wins, is crowned the champion of that tournament, that weekend.

However the thing that people never want to admit is that it's possible to have a really bad day, a really good day, a f'ed up bracket path, or a cushy path that plays to your character's strengths, on that one particular weekend -- and this is why statistically you cannot use one tournament out of the entire year, to prove who the best player in a game is, period.

It's simple math, and if you take statistics, they'll introduce you to the concept of "sample size" and explain why it's necessary.

3) X player had a favorable/unfavorable path through the bracket at X tournament for their character, playstyle, and win/loss history

This can be debatable, and subjective -- but that doesn't make it wrong. The fact is that you can show up to a tournament and be faced with two of your absolute worst nightmares (characters or players) straight away in pools and be eliminated. It doesn't mean you're not a good player, or that you sucked.

Truly amazing players have a way of beating the odds even when it seems things aren't in their favor.. But it doesn't *always* happen and we've all seen fantastic players take L's earlier than you'd think they would due to matchups.

It doesn't "take away" a win. If you won, you won. It's just another reason why a single tournament per year cannot absolutely prove how good or bad you are.

4) I think X player is the best [Insert Game Here] player, even though he didn't win EVO

All the factors listed above should tell you why this is a legitimate opinion. You may not agree with it, but you can't dispute the validity of the logic. If someone else is cleaning up the majority of major tournaments, and a player that won EVO is getting mopped up by various players after EVO at other majors, then maybe there are reasons why.

I think Chris G was the best overall Marvel player of the last EVO season even though he didn't win EVO. I shouldn't get shot for saying that.

Again it has 0 to do with downplaying EVO -- if you won the biggest tournament of the year, that's a fantastic accomplishment in itself. If you did it multiple times, that's even more banannas. But if you're truly the abosulte best player, the magic is not only going to happen once a year. Wherever you go, when the playing field is stacked, there should be evidence of the fact that you're better than the rest.

So.. Tricky problem.. Hard to discuss without people getting caught up and swept away.

Last edited:

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Have you never played any of the SF games? I’ll PM you. In short though, the game has amazingly deep yomi, awesome footsies, is incredibly balanced in its current incarnation, and offers a massive variety of playstyles. Depending on your character, the game tends to require slightly more execution than MK, IGAU or Tekken. SF4 has been the only fighting game my friends and I have played constantly since release and still love… it’s just fun.

I was actually quite psyched to see this article. I look forward to seeing how PL does if he seriously throws his hat into the arena. I wonder how he’s going to deal with being somewhat behind in terms of learning all of that matchups, setups, option selects, etc, though after seeing Chris G level up hard in SF4 in a short amount of time, I wouldn’t be surprised if PL could do it too.
I played Street Fighter 2 when I was like 4 or some shit...but that was it. I don't really care for how cartoonish it looks (not dissing the game, just my preference) but I am a huge fan of Cammy. Is she good? I might just learn the game to play her...

AK-Israel

I'm Back
I played Street Fighter 2 when I was like 4 or some shit...but that was it. I don't really care for how cartoonish it looks (not dissing the game, just my preference) but I am a huge fan of Cammy. Is she good? I might just learn the game to play her...
Yea cammy is Top tier in AE......for now