What's new

Switching Sides: Why Carl “Perfect Legend” White is now Focusing on Street Fighter IV

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
After tweeting on twitter about changing it up and focusing his efforts on a non-NRS game, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition 2012... you have to expect this to widen some eyes. I mean, "why" is his doing this? Well, Shoryuken.com editor, Patrick looked deeper than twitter and shot some questions to Carl "Perfect Legend" White to emphasize on why he made such a decision. He mentions several reasons of course, but one that may hit home the most is his feelings on the community "downplaying" his accomplishments.

plbanner.jpg

Carl White: Well, playing Mortal Kombat 9 and Injustice: Gods Among Us has been great, as well as Dead or Alive, but I don’t feel like I have really been able to show people my strength and skills in fighters because SF gets the most exposure. While they all are great games in their own right, I feel like I should focus most — if not all — of my talents into SF. It has the deepest player base and skill pool and I want to show that I have what it takes to be at the top and challenge the house hold names in the series.

I want the acknowledgement, the prestige.

PM: How does SFIV’s status as the main event affect your motivation?

CW: I want the acknowledgement, the prestige. In Mortal Kombat, people do nothing but downplay my accomplishments. A win is a win, and you can’t discredit it no matter how it was obtained. However, I want to win where it matters the most.

Regardless if someone discredits me, everyone in the world will see it and have to acknowledge it. They can’t say, “Oh it doesn’t matter, because no one plays your game,” because SFIV does matter; it is the biggest fighting game with the longest history and the highest skilled players, along with Super Smash Bros. Melee. I want to be on the biggest stage, I want to be a part of the main event. With the other games I haven’t been able to capture that feeling for myself. It is great to win EVO and other tournaments in the games I am proficient in, but I think winning in SF will be a whole other form of euphoria on a totally different level. Of course, the payouts are bigger too, but money comes and goes. At the end of the day its about making history and the experience and that is what I want. I want to be the first American player to win SFIV at EVO.

PM: You’ve been sponsored by FNATIC for a little while now — have they had any input or weight in your decision to take up SFIV?
Continue reading on Carl's decision over at Shoryuken.com

How do YOU feel about this? Is Carl making the right decision in your opinion? Is this hypocritical to all of those who give the NRS community flack about playing more than one game?

edited by STORMS*

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
Pretty much agree with most of what he said. SF will always be huge and USF4 looks promising. I'm sure he somehow will get hate for playing a game he enjoys more though.

Pretty much agree with most of what he said. SF will always be huge and USF4 looks promising. I'm sure he somehow will get hate for playing a game he enjoys more though.
Humans are tribal by nature. They tend to go on about their own game/community and poke shit at the other games/communities along with those who "defect" to the other sides.

Anyway, have fun and enjoy your experiences in Street Fighter, PL!

Last edited:

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
I can agree with him. All the updates to the SFIV keeps it fresh and is always bring new people into its scene. Best of luck to him. I wonder if he's going to stick to Akuma in the Ultra update.

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
This.
And this.
http://kotaku.com/5593304/what-is-daigos-day-job

The Beast has a day job. This shit is just a hobby to him. If he isn't the model for success in the fighting game community, who is?

Priorities are real kids.
Where does it say he plans on making a living off street fighter in the article in the OP though? Guy just says he switched to SF4 because it is a bigger and more competitive scene (fact). What is wrong with that?

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Okay...legit and serious question; why is Street Fighter so highly regarded? Is it high execution? Is it tremendously balanced? What separates top players from mediocre players?

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
Okay...legit and serious question; why is Street Fighter so highly regarded? Is it high execution? Is it tremendously balanced? What separates top players from mediocre players?
There is a much deeper talent pool than other games due to the fact that a good portion of the scene has been around playing competitively since 3rd strike or came with the huge wave of FG players that came with Vanilla SF4. Every pool in majors is loaded with killers as a result of this because the SF scene has been around for so long and has accumulated more and more players with each game. Also it requires higher execution due the 1-2frame links, ultra cancels, fadc cancels etc being a staple to most characters core gameplay. It is much less forgiving input wise than NRS games. Not to mention the fundamentals that most people refer to spawn from Street Fighter. Also yes it is fairly balanced. SF4 is significantly easier than 3rd strike though

Having less difficult inputs in fighting games is not a bad thing at all though. So please no one get into that. I'm just stating the facts here.

Last edited: