What's new

Sudden influx of Kano players

yea but sf there are alot of things that any noob can do seriously, and getting advanced with sf isnt hard. Technically wise it is but one on one i have no challenge really. MK's only legit terrible part is the online netkode, offline fighting is amazing requires serious technique to master.

Remember MK is easy to play but hard to master, is what i say! Because learning combos dont mean jack

btw i main kano and smoke, seriously hoping for a kano tweak even though ppl seem to think im crazy for wanting that? dunno how

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
See, once I started playing other characters without sheer advantages I realized how bad this game is, even though NRS are making attempts at 'balancing' it. Characters like Reptile, for example, which are difficult to actually master and actually have skill curves have horrible disadvantages such as no viable wakeup options.

I really just think I'm going to shelf this game for a few months and re-evaluate it once it's 'fixed'. I just cannot take this game seriously anymore and my passion for it in it's current state is dead. I mean, NRS actually made the game WORSE with this up ball shit...

What the hell is going on?! The developers supposedly visit this forum but they don't seem to take our insight on the matter, at all, everyone's talked about the up ball, the Kabal infinite etc. These are very minor changes which would take their team all but 15 minutes to fix yet they feel the need to wait until the supposed huge patch to fix.

I'm all for TYM's foundation of offline play and promoting the game but how can I promote this?

GNG Iniquity

i dont see it like u but aye, w/e
I'm just very dissasiftied with the current product. I've been following it for years, been actively reading up on it, got it in my hands and besides the netcode it was great...now they took the stupid decision upon themselves to make it worse. The combo damage is scaled less, meaning they've discouraged you from going into the damn lab and learn some meaty combo, they've nerfed/buffed characters they didn't need to, etc.

It's just very poor judgement from a game that I wanted to genuinely take seriously but I just can't force myself to look past this anymore. Either this game will be excellent in 6 months or it'll be utter garbage. I want to see what happens but I don't have the energy to keep up with this, I just don't feel it's worth my time right now.

Death By Nines

Catharsis
See, once I started playing other characters without sheer advantages I realized how bad this game is, even though NRS are making attempts at 'balancing' it. Characters like Reptile, for example, which are difficult to actually master and actually have skill curves have horrible disadvantages such as no viable wakeup options.

I really just think I'm going to shelf this game for a few months and re-evaluate it once it's 'fixed'. I just cannot take this game seriously anymore and my passion for it in it's current state is dead. I mean, NRS actually made the game WORSE with this up ball shit...

What the hell is going on?! The developers supposedly visit this forum but they don't seem to take our insight on the matter, at all, everyone's talked about the up ball, the Kabal infinite etc. These are very minor changes which would take their team all but 15 minutes to fix yet they feel the need to wait until the supposed huge patch to fix.

I'm all for TYM's foundation of offline play and promoting the game but how can I promote this?
No offense... this is going to sound harsh, but you really need to stop whining and realise the reasons you're thinking of dropping MK are in EVERY fighting game.

As someone who has played competitive SF for years, what you say about characters having 'huge learning curves', and 'no wakeup options', is part and parcel of what makes fighting games what they are. Take 3S for example, the top 3 are inarguably Chun, Yun, and Ken. These characters have tools for every situation, big damage, and great reversals. Then on the opposite end you have Q, Hugo, and Sean... ass reversals, and a steep earning curve to become even remotely competent. Does this stop players from playing these supposedly weak characters and dominating with them? No. Similar to SSF4, T.Hawk is ranked as one of the worst characters, yet he can still be a wrecking machine in the right hands.

My point is, a truly good player looks at the tools they are given with their characters, and finds ways to make it work. Sure there'll be a visit to the Salty Spitoon every once in a while when you lose to other characters that are supposedly better or take advantage of the game's system better thn yours, but you have to move past it, because you will NEVER escape that in a fighting game. You think it's bad in MK? Some matchups are straight up un-winnable in SSF4 on paper. And as for you saying you lose to the up-ball 'exploit' then I'm sorry to say, that is YOUR shortcoming as a player... you shouldn't be losing to scrubs who mash that out all day if you have a solid grasp of the game's mechanics.

While I do agree that the constant hotfixing is making the game look slightly ridiculous at the moment... I believe it's for the best. NRS is desperately trying to give this game legs competitively, and the very fact that they are nerfing up-ball is proof that they listen to us. It's your prerogative to play whatever you want, but you will never escape BS in fighting games.

GNG Iniquity

While I do agree that the constant hotfixing is making the game look slightly ridiculous at the moment... I believe it's for the best. NRS is desperately trying to give this game legs competitively, and the very fact that they are nerfing up-ball is proof that they listen to us. It's your prerogative to play whatever you want, but you will never escape BS in fighting games.
That's my point, exactly. Who knows what this game is going to look like in the future. What concerns me is their constant tweaking of the game on issues that are not important in the least. More energy is being put into Skarlet, Kenshi, pallet swapping costumes and 360 avatars than fixing the up ball and JC's infinite x-ray glitch. If they left this game the hell alone, then fine, I'd accept the faults. But we're not in that day and age, and they're not leaving it alone.

They're deliberately choosing not to accept them. We can't look at this game and compare it to 3S these days because NRS can selectively patch this game whenever they feel like it. Those days are done, you and I both know it. We're looking at the MMO patch notes of fighting games these days essentially. This stuff would take 5 minutes, max and there's no plausible reason why it isn't resolved.

Now, of course JC's infinite would be banned in a tournament setting, but it still falls on the responsibility of the company. Patching could be a wonderful thing if they used it properly as in if Tom, REO and other various tournament level players feedback was actually questioned on patch related discussions as opposed to unnecessary buffs and nerfs.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Just lurking this forum looking for some character info, but I think I'm going to chime in on this.

I don't think you completely understand how video games are made and how much work goes into patching a game. There not putting more energy into things like skarlet and pallet swap costumes and crappy xbox avatars, all those things are made independent of the people making patches, sans maybe some of the balance team tweaking skarlets balance. Artists and animators make all the other stuff, there not taking away man power that could be spent elsewhere, they can't write code, or help fix the netcode, there time is better spent doing something they know how to do.

As for why they don't just simply fix the x-ray infinite? They can't, its not something they can hotfix, its a bug. There patching system lets them change variables to the different skills, but they can't do anything drastic to them with out a proper title update. They have taken this long because patching consoles takes a large effort and money, there getting as much together as possible so they don't waste time. To make a title update you have to go thourh MS and Sony quality control, they have to spend days testing everything so it all works and doesn't brick an xbox. Not only is there usually a QUE they have to go through for MS to even start testing it, it costs them money to patch games, usually the first two patches are free, but after that MS charges the publisher, so you want to do as much as possible in a single patch. MMO's get passed all of that because the PC is an open platform, they can patch for free whenever they feel like it.

GStick

Noob
Honestly, that's why I'm not playing him now. I've 'mastered' the character, not that there's much to his combos but I don't just sit there and spam up ball/knives. I'm just genuinely finding it disappointing playing the character now and don't care to invest anymore time into him in his current phase. If I'm going to lose, I can just revert to full screen knife spam followed by a horizontal ball or various other bitchy tactics he has.

I'd prefer to win by some massive juggle which actually takes some skill. If the patch fixes him, great. If not, I don't really care at this point.
But if someone is going to pick up Kano, they need to realize he's made to lock people down, whether he's in close or far away, that's what he does. If he's out of a situation where he's trying to lock someone down, you fight to lock them down again. Everyone seems to know this, but hates it for some stupid reason. If you don't like how he plays, pick up a different character. Then, once he's fixed, you won't have to worry about him at all.

Once you start zoning your opponent, it's harder to keep them in that situation than it is to keep juggling your opponent once your juggle has started.

Having less combo potential is just part of his design. I guess that's the Blanka side of him.

But if someone is going to pick up Kano, they need to realize he's made to lock people down, whether he's in close or far away, that's what he does. If he's out of a situation where he's trying to lock someone down, you fight to lock them down again. Everyone seems to know this, but hates it for some stupid reason. If you don't like how he plays, pick up a different character. Then, once he's fixed, you won't have to worry about him at all.

Once you start zoning your opponent, it's harder to keep them in that situation than it is to keep juggling your opponent once your juggle has started.

Having less combo potential is just part of his design. I guess that's the Blanka side of him.
but thats stupid because everyone in the game (atleast when jax and kabal get buffed) can beat your ass to a 40 plus. Its part of mk and if you use kano, it makes no sense because he has lots of chains and EX moves that have potential for serious damage. I dont want him broken, its just his cap makes so sense and everyone has tools in the game so that argument really doesnt hold water

Death By Nines

Catharsis
Just lurking this forum looking for some character info, but I think I'm going to chime in on this.

I don't think you completely understand how video games are made and how much work goes into patching a game. There not putting more energy into things like skarlet and pallet swap costumes and crappy xbox avatars, all those things are made independent of the people making patches, sans maybe some of the balance team tweaking skarlets balance. Artists and animators make all the other stuff, there not taking away man power that could be spent elsewhere, they can't write code, or help fix the netcode, there time is better spent doing something they know how to do.

As for why they don't just simply fix the x-ray infinite? They can't, its not something they can hotfix, its a bug. There patching system lets them change variables to the different skills, but they can't do anything drastic to them with out a proper title update. They have taken this long because patching consoles takes a large effort and money, there getting as much together as possible so they don't waste time. To make a title update you have to go thourh MS and Sony quality control, they have to spend days testing everything so it all works and doesn't brick an xbox. Not only is there usually a QUE they have to go through for MS to even start testing it, it costs them money to patch games, usually the first two patches are free, but after that MS charges the publisher, so you want to do as much as possible in a single patch. MMO's get passed all of that because the PC is an open platform, they can patch for free whenever they feel like it.
Nail on the head.

GStick

Noob
but thats stupid because everyone in the game (atleast when jax and kabal get buffed) can beat your ass to a 40 plus. Its part of mk and if you use kano, it makes no sense because he has lots of chains and EX moves that have potential for serious damage. I dont want him broken, its just his cap makes so sense and everyone has tools in the game so that argument really doesnt hold water
Don't get me wrong, since I play Kano I would love for him to be able to dish out the damage and have other combo opportunities. I just think that his weaker aspects are justified. Yes, high damage is Mortal Kombat. That's one of the things that attracts me to the game.

So it's not ok to spam upballs, but look at a character like Noob. His game even at high levels involves spamming. Change the up ball I dont care. Just please leave my knives alone NRS.

Gemini Knight

Astaroth needs Fatalities
A few things I was wanting to discuss:

f+1 attack strings. The strings do hit crouching opponents, but sometimes they whiff when opponent's character is transitioning from standing guard to crouching guard. I reallly wish NRS would fix that.

Up ball sometimes whiff when your opponent crossover jumps.

If you read a Kano going for x-ray, you can beat it by doing d+3,d+3.

Kano doesn't really need combos going into high 30's or into/past the 40's. Ball does alot on its own, knives does alot as well, jump kick to air throw takes out a chunk of life, and an x-ray that does 41% without having to tack on more hits just to make it worth it. There are some characters that can out zone Kano, and I'm fine with that. When f+1 strings works, Kano's close game can be annoying, checking with up ball afterwards, of course.

After the patch, you will see the influx dwindle, because they can no longer spam ball, and will never implement the rest of his tools.

Death By Nines

Catharsis
Characters are based on archtypes... Kano falls into the zoner character type alongside Noob and Sindel, meaning he's probably never going to do big damage combos, and all his damage comes from knowledge of spacing and reading how the other character reacts to what you do. If you want characters that do big damage, why not play them? Kano is great without a safe up-ball or high damage bnbs.

Characters are based on archtypes... Kano falls into the zoner character type alongside Noob and Sindel, meaning he's probably never going to do big damage combos, and all his damage comes from knowledge of spacing and reading how the other character reacts to what you do. If you want characters that do big damage, why not play them? Kano is great without a safe up-ball or high damage bnbs.
because i dont even like him as a zoner either, once again i dont want him broken, it just doesnt seem right. Also ppl have to remember the difference between a zoner and somebody else is a minimal difference. All im saying is id trade zoning for combos, and he'd still have lots of great perks, but aye :/ just dreaming
(also noob and sindel still have tools to push 40, thats my point)

but im glad you gave atleast a legit reason because no ones else could

Sequel

Boob Titbot
As someone who has played competitive SF for years, what you say about characters having 'huge learning curves', and 'no wakeup options', is part and parcel of what makes fighting games what they are.
I agree with this in every other fighter. However, in MK you have BLOCK DAMAGE ON EVERYTHING. Characters without wake-up options are severely handicapped and can get poked to literal death. Not to mention the 50/50 guessing game with throws. At least in say SF4, you don't take block damage from normals and you can tech throws with the same two buttons no matter which way your opponent decides to toss you. Therefore, characters without wake-up options have a fighting chance to punish when an opponent misses a link or successfully bait a throw tech.

because i dont even like him as a zoner either, once again i dont want him broken, it just doesnt seem right. Also ppl have to remember the difference between a zoner and somebody else is a minimal difference. All im saying is id trade zoning for combos, and he'd still have lots of great perks, but aye :/ just dreaming
(also noob and sindel still have tools to push 40, thats my point)

but im glad you gave atleast a legit reason because no ones else could
How does Noob get 40 mid screen non x ray?