What's new

Guide - Grandmaster Sub-Zero GRANDMASTER Guide

Creepy00

Noob
I've been a subzero main for awhile now and been pretty successful with him but I have never in my life seen a character with as much loses matches as subzero and I've been a high lvl player in pretty much every fighter that matters from sf4 to marvel to injustice to ki to mkx now and this character got way to many matches that are not in his favor it's fucken retarded he loses to sshinnok kung Lao predator Liu kang kenshi devora qaun chi ferratorr Tanya ermac and most likely mileena that's a lot of losing matches its just redick!
I agree with most of your choices, except for Liu kang, Ermac, and Mileena. Other than that you are right, he loses pretty much against the top tiers badly (3-7 mostly). Hopefully, Subzero ends up with a few buffs before NRS moves to Injustice 2.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
I agree with most of your choices, except for Liu kang, Ermac, and Mileena. Other than that you are right, he loses pretty much against the top tiers badly (3-7 mostly). Hopefully, Subzero ends up with a few buffs before NRS moves to Injustice 2.
Dont hold your breath, you'll suffocate. @Rebelo is a great Sub-Zero, honestly he way more aggressive than I see most subzeros. Some how he makes it work. Honestly I wanna see more of his tremor.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I've been a subzero main for awhile now and been pretty successful with him but I have never in my life seen a character with as much loses matches as subzero and I've been a high lvl player in pretty much every fighter that matters from sf4 to marvel to injustice to ki to mkx now and this character got way to many matches that are not in his favor it's fucken retarded he loses to sshinnok kung Lao predator Liu kang kenshi devora qaun chi ferratorr Tanya ermac and most likely mileena that's a lot of losing matches its just redick!
Welcome to Sub Zero.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
And I don't think he loses all that badly to many characters. I think he has a lot of 4-6s ... slight disadvantage that can be overcome with smart play.

Think he only really gets wrecked by Kung Lao, Dvorah, Kenshi, and Tanya.

Edit: and probably boneshaper.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I usually trip guard it with slide (right at the start, they usually open with this), catch it right as its hitting the ground coming back down. I think max range d4 beats it as well? But it sounds risky as I type it so idk, test it. Try backing off more often than not and hitting with something that has some range to it when they have that whiff air attack recovery.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Yeah. I really like this. +20 frames gives you a free 50/50 to throw at them. Worst case scenario, run in and do a Throw. Total of 34%. I wouldn't do it all the time, but meh when it's comeback season this is the type of shit I like to try pull out.

Anyway, just posting to talk about NjP. It's a pretty good option in the corner when you don't have a Clone out, so I started looking at NjP follow ups, as I've mostly just been doing a bunch of Jump in Punches or Kicks and then ending in NjK.

However, I put some time into it and you can do a lot better.

[NjP, JiK, 242, B12xxClone, F12] = 29% and gives you a great Clone Set-Up

Worth mentioning
Just quoting this to say, I found a better, easier NjP Combo

[NjP, B2, 242, 11xxClone, F12] = 30%

Parasurama

Dragon

Hi there, please explain to me how SZ loses to Liu Kang because as a Liu Kang player,myself, I have trouble against GM SZ. The biggest issue is the D4's with B2's behind the Ice klone. It would give me insight, thank you.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
rly? Some raiden player i know say SZ is one of the worst matchups for raiden :confused: .
That Raiden player you know is insane, and doesn't know how to deal with Clone. Raiden has more options than practically everyone for getting past it, including normals and specials, and can punish from fullscreen. On top of that, he does everything better. Better overhead, more damage off it, better low, more damage off it, better footsies and range, better air normals, hits even harder in the corner and wallcarrys even better.

The Clone keeps Sub-Zero from being totally outclassed by Raiden in other match ups. But in this match up, the clone is a lot weaker than usual.

It's not unwinnable, but Raiden is basically Sub-Zero +1. When Tom beat Dizzy at EVO even the commentators were describing it as one of SZ's hardest match ups.

Parasurama

Dragon
Liu Kang Dragon's Fire outzones SZ. Also his Double Dragon Kick is -8 on block and cannot be punished by SZ due to pushback.
Thank you, I do zone Sub Zero to some extent, but things become difficult near the klone, and at the corner, shit gets real. Many things go through the klone but Liu Kang does not have much that does that, maybe if he jumps just right over it but very risky and have gotten frozen for full kombos too many times. So I back off usually once the klone comes out. It feels difficult because LK likes to be pressuring.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I think raw ice ball is a little slow to be throwing on reaction to Jin's njp. Maybe on a read or ex ice blast though.

What would be really cool is if you could time jip to hit him just as he lands, and go over the njp for the b12 starter. Not sure how tight this would be, or if the ridiculous hit box on that staff would still blow you up.

Ravosa

Wild Card
Since all the b2 combos on females are inconsistent on females I've been using b2, 242, b334 clone lately. When Tom streamed the predator stream he followed up with some sub play. In it, he did a b2 combo that did a delayed 242 after (you wait for the female character to fall slightly) and then a string into clone that froze them in the air. Can somebody tell me what that was? Also what are you guys using for your b33 corner combos, male and female? Thanks guys.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Best b33 combo I've found vs. male/ female as far as damage and safe clone is b33 xx ice ball, whiff clone, ji2, b2, 242, b334, clone. Consistent, damaging, safe, but won't set up the throw clone traps like f12 ender will. Trouble with the f12 here is that clone has trouble forming, more often vs. female.

Matix218

Get over here!
Best b33 combo I've found vs. male/ female as far as damage and safe clone is b33 xx ice ball, whiff clone, ji2, b2, 242, b334, clone. Consistent, damaging, safe, but won't set up the throw clone traps like f12 ender will. Trouble with the f12 here is that clone has trouble forming, more often vs. female.
Do you mean that the clone has trouble forming if you do: b33~iceball, whiff clone, jip, 242, njp, fjp, f12 and then clone? That is the combo I usually used after switching away from the old nj3 ender and transitioning to ending in f12 in the corner. But I have noticed occasionally the clone will disappear vs females (but it seems rare)

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Yes, the window to clone after f12 ender in corner vs females seems smaller than the window vs males. But b334 feels easier and does 1% more so I mean unless you're looking for a set up with close clone, armor shreds, etc b334 ender seems good.

But I have noticed occasionally the clone will disappear vs females (but it seems rare)
You just need to delay the clone. Easy way to know when to execute clone is to look at the foot of the opponent as she gets splat on the ground. When it no longer collides with SZ, that's when you clone. Although sometimes if you do it too early it still won't come out.

Since all the b2 combos on females are inconsistent on females I've been using b2, 242, b334 clone lately.
The problem against females is that if they're crouch blocking, their juggle is lower and so you can't hit b2 b2. I've found b2 242 1 b3 clone works.

Matix218

Get over here!
You just need to delay the clone. Easy way to know when to execute clone is to look at the foot of the opponent as she gets splat on the ground. When it no longer collides with SZ, that's when you clone. Although sometimes if you do it too early it still won't come out.

The problem against females is that if they're crouch blocking, their juggle is lower and so you can't hit b2 b2. I've found b2 242 1 b3 clone works.
So does waiting for the foot to not touch sub negate the additional 4 frames of advantage that you get from f12 vs nj3? I know it still does 2% more damage than the nj3 ender combo but if you have to wait longer to clone it actually may have less frame advantage

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
Yes, the window to clone after f12 ender in corner vs females seems smaller than the window vs males. But b334 feels easier and does 1% more so I mean unless you're looking for a set up with close clone, armor shreds, etc b334 ender seems good.
For B2 combos I Got Hands came up with tech and I made a video of it. It's a little tougher to do but if you master it it is very rewarding.

For the F12 I do B,DB2. The quick B before clone makes it come out more consistently and keeps the frame advantage for the most part. Doing 1-2 FJP's after NJP also pushes them back more for the F12 setup.