What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero Sub-Zero General Discussion

Revenant Zero

Death Comes
I know this subject has been beat to death (one could say Sub has been beat to death) but what are some good options or a good game plan in a Sub-Zero (GM) Vs. Alien (Tarkatan) MU?

*I've seen the footage of Tom play Tweedy's Tarkatan and I've seen Buffalo play Forever King's Acidic

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I know this subject has been beat to death (one could say Sub has been beat to death) but what are some good options or a good game plan in a Sub-Zero (GM) Vs. Alien (Tarkatan) MU?

*I've seen the footage of Tom play Tweedy's Tarkatan and I've seen Buffalo play Forever King's Acidic
It's hard. In my opinion the best way to go about it is to try and take him to the corner(obviously). If you can get a F12 knockdown in the corner and the close clone up, you're chances just increased 1000000%. Use the close clone so you can use B33 and an untechable throw instead of B2. The reason you want to refrain from using B2 is that Tarkatan Alien will take 36% every time he blocks a B2, even through the clone. So your corner game is kind of weakened because if you want to be safe, it only becomes a 50/50 instead of 33/33/33, and you lose the chance to shatter. But because of Alien's hurtbox, the close clone is devastating because all he can do is D3, and he especially can jump out because Alien has a huge hurtbox that low the ground so he has to guess.

Midscreen it sucks, but what you want to do is get him to whiff and punish him and take him to the corner.

Don't reclone after a slide knockdown because he has 50/50 armor and you can only armor break after a F12 knockdown. So once you take him to the corner, you have to guess right, then you can start to murder him.

It sucks because you need to guess right AT LEAST twice before you can start your offense, but hey it is what it is.

Tweedy

Noob
It's all about close klone and mixing up throw and F33.

Throw in B2 once they're conditioned.

Edit: If you throw out B2 like Alien is another character, it'll feel like a 3-7 or 2-8 match.

Don't be afraid to jump in. Alien needs armor to anti air Sub consistently. If you catch him doing a B3 or snag that could be GGs.

Last edited:

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind

Tarkatan has 4-6 against Sub Zero, because he has nothing else to break SZ's Ice Klone, except of the Tail Grab. I main both, so I know what I'm telling. To be honest, Tarkatan is the offensive type, while Acidic is the balanced one, and Konjurer is the defensive, due of the drones and the headcrabs there.

Only Acidic has the chance to defend against SZ. (See Sonic Fox against Tom Brady).

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Tarkatan has 4-6 against Sub Zero, because he has nothing else to break SZ's Ice Klone, except of the Tail Grab. I main both, so I know what I'm telling. To be honest, Tarkatan is the offensive type, while Acidic is the balanced one, and Konjurer is the defensive, due of the drones and the headcrabs there.

Only Acidic has the chance to defend against SZ. (See Sonic Fox against Tom Brady).
He doesn't need to break the clone because the tail goes THROUGH it. Tarkatan beats sub 6-4 imo. See Dragon vs Madzin at ESL finals or look up footage of Dragon vs Brady or Tweedy vs Brady.

Tweedy

Noob
I was watching Onlyforjustice play in an online tournament the other day. He beat ADM Fierce, who is a pretty good Demo player, and he did a lot of B2, B2, D1, B3 xx klone, in the corner, and it worked every time.

It seems really easy to. Does this work on all females? Idk if Justice has a TYM.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yeah, I use Brady's combo too. Consistency is more important as whiffs cost too much. B2 11 Ice Ball at least can set up for a more damaging shatter combo or mix up.
Yes. Everything you do in the corner should end in F12 unless it will kill. It is never worth it to not go for the re-clone and armor break unless you can kill them.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
I was watching Onlyforjustice play in an online tournament the other day. He beat ADM Fierce, who is a pretty good Demo player, and he did a lot of B2, B2, D1, B3 xx klone, in the corner, and it worked every time.

It seems really easy to. Does this work on all females? Idk if Justice has a TYM.
Sub can get the same damage on females as the males. It takes some practice but there are universal corner combos. As far as the Crouch/Crouch Blocking females, only some give that issue. B2 combos work easily on Sonya, Kitana and Jacqui. Not on Mileena, Cassie, Tanya and Devorrah. However there is a trick to making it work on all females. I discovered it a long time ago but didn't care enough to post it. You have to B2 them from further back or at maximum distance. Make his fingertips connect and you can get the full B2 combo. When you're practicing this make sure the dummy is in full crouch stance before you B2. Instantly B2'ing when the dummy is starting to crouch from Training mode reset causes inconsistent results. It works then doesn't work. That happened to Brady when he couldn't figure out why it worked then didn't work randomly.

Tweedy

Noob
for female combos i usually spend a bar with either EX clone or EX ice ball then i just spam the close clone game
This is interesting, because outside of maybe an EX frost bomb armor trap after a blocked F33, you don't really need meter once you have them cornered.

And btw Divineknives is a biiiiitch. :DOGE

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
Oh is this only for females? What's your bnb for males?
Sub can get the same damage on females as the males. It takes some practice but there are universal corner combos. As far as the Crouch/Crouch Blocking females, only some give that issue. B2 combos work easily on Sonya, Kitana and Jacqui. Not on Mileena, Cassie, Tanya and Devorrah. However there is a trick to making it work on all females. I discovered it a long time ago but didn't care enough to post it. You have to B2 them from further back or at maximum distance. Make his fingertips connect and you can get the full B2 combo. When you're practicing this make sure the dummy is in full crouch stance before you B2. Instantly B2'ing when the dummy is starting to crouch from Training mode reset causes inconsistent results. It works then doesn't work. That happened to Brady when he couldn't figure out why it worked then didn't work randomly. You can alternate after (B2, B2) with S1 or D1 or D3. Just use two of any of those three. My preference is S1, S1 or D3, D3.

Guys i have problem with clone 12 shatter 1 11 clone, when i input 11 clone i always get shatter or 112, clone can't get out, where i make mistake?

Tweedy

Noob
So why not B2, 242, B3 xx klone on females? It seems to work on them, crouching hitbox or not.

Guys i have problem with clone 12 shatter 1 11 clone, when i input 11 clone i always get shatter or 112, clone can't get out, where i make mistake?
Try turning off release check. If you have that off already, you're probably doing the db motion during one of the 1 inputs.