What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
lul somebody tell myles to stick to scrub fighter v his inj 2: much footsies career is down the toilet post patch

#doctorangel
#jutsuclub
#shots fired

Last edited:
lul somebody tell myles to stick to scrub fighter v his inj 2: much footsies career is down the toilet post patch

#doctorangel
#jutsuclub
#shots fired
Serious question, do footsies actually exist in injustice 2? I mean I know anything in neutral can be considered a footsie but the game looks not too fluid to have that real footsie gameplay.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
It doesn't always look like it when there's Batman or Brainiac on the screen but Injustice 2 does have a much bigger emphasis on footsies than SFV.

It doesn't always look like it when there's Batman or Brainiac on the screen but Injustice 2 does have a much bigger emphasis on footsies than SFV.
Umm. I stopped playing injustice, let's just say it's not for me, but I have no idea how this game can have an importance in footsies like SF 5. Just the clunky movement makes me think otherwise. But who knows.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Umm. I stopped playing injustice, let's just say it's not for me, but I have no idea how this game can have an importance in footsies like SF 5. Just the clunky movement makes me think otherwise. But who knows.
I2 has footsies and more importantly there is actual whiff punishing on reaction due to longer recovery on normals/strings. Also, there is more variety of playstyles in injustice 2 (character archetypes). Some characters deny footsies while others abuse their footsie tools.

SFV feels like more of a predictive game with footsies and whiff punishing. It almost feels like most whiff punishes happen on accident or based on a read. With I2, I feel more in control of what is happening in footsie range.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Serious question, do footsies actually exist in injustice 2? I mean I know anything in neutral can be considered a footsie but the game looks not too fluid to have that real footsie gameplay.
no you can barely move in the game walking forward and instantly blocking feels like a huge risk due to how clunky the game is

I2 has footsies and more importantly there is actual whiff punishing on reaction due to longer recovery on normals/strings. Also, there is more variety of playstyles in injustice 2 (character archetypes). Some characters deny footsies while others abuse their footsie tools.

SFV feels like more of a predictive game with footsies and whiff punishing. It almost feels like most whiff punishes happen on accident or based on a read. With I2, I feel more in control of what is happening in footsie range.
The time I played inj2 I actually felt the opposite. Sfv being like 100x more fluid felt like I'm more of control of my character, inj2 felt like it was more of who's turn was it depended on the range of de normals/moves.

no you can barely move in the game walking forward and instantly blocking feels like a huge risk due to how clunky the game is
I agree on the clunkiness feeling honestly. There's something about the movement in this game that seemed off to me.

Sfv does have whiff punishing on reaction though. What it doesn't have in spades are a bunch of random advancing mids.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I agree that SFV feels more fluid and I2 definitely has it's issues when it comes to accidental specials. But when talking purely about footsies and whiff punishing, I feel Injustice 2 has the clear advantage.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I'm going to have to agree. Playing SFV then injustice or Injustice then SFV Injustice feels stiff and clunky and more delayed compared to SFV. You feel more response and fluid with SFV. Only reason Inj has more whiff punish because of the recovery compared to SFV.

I kinda see what you're talking about but playing footsies is all about understanding the spacing in which your normals interact with your opponents favorably and your opponents favorable ranges, yes it's easier to whiff punish certain moves in injustice, but it's also harder to sit at a specific range and control all your opponents options at once. In injustice there's just soooooo many advancing moves that stop you from maintaining spacing. That plus the awkward movement kills it for me.

Pretty much, any game where recovery is longer then whiff punishing will be greater, but everything else, footsies, fluidity, actually controlling your character, actually the character controlling their projectiles and not the other way around I think it's pretty obvious, well at least to me that SFV wins easily.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I kinda see what you're talking about but playing footsies is all about understanding the spacing in which your normals interact with your opponents favorably and your opponents favorable ranges, yes it's easier to whiff punish certain moves in injustice, but it's also harder to sit at a specific range and control all your opponents options at once. In injustice there's just soooooo many advancing moves that stop you from maintaining spacing. That plus the awkward movement kills it for me.
I feel like SFIV had more of the footsies game you are describing. Actually, SFIV might be the best example of footsies in a 2d game. I still feel like footsies in SFV are based more on prediction and just throwing out your godlike normal with little consequence if whiffed. That's where I feel like the whiff punishing interacts with the footsies.

The advancing mids are not as bad as MKX, where I would totally agree it denied all footsies. Alot of the really strong advancing strings in I2 are highs (not all of course but a good chunk).

I feel like SFIV had more of the footsies game you are describing. Actually, SFIV might be the best example of footsies in a 2d game. I still feel like footsies in SFV are based more on prediction and just throwing out your godlike normal with little consequence if whiffed. That's where I feel like the whiff punishing interacts with the footsies.

The advancing mids are not as bad as MKX, where I would totally agree it denied all footsies. Alot of the really strong advancing strings in I2 are highs (not all of course but a good chunk).
Yeah 4 was better than 5 in these aspects, not really relevant though. I'm just saying that injustice might allow you to whiff punish easier but sfv will allow you to do everything required to get a good whiff punish easier. If that makes sense.

So I guess I'd just say it feels better to play footsies in sfv than inj2 simply because all the mechanical aspects of actually playing footsies feels more fluid and responsive in it, even if it IS harder in a lot of situations, it's doable and that's all I need.

Last edited:

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Yeah 4 was better than 5 in these aspects, not really relevant though. I'm just saying that injustice might allow you to whiff punish easier but sfv will allow you to do everything required to get a good whiff punish easier. If that makes sense.
That makes sense, because the controls are a little more precise and you don't have walk-start animations like Injustice. I only brought up IV because the footsies were so prominent in that game that I feel like some people just assume V has the same focus on footsies when it's really doesn't.

I think we are just starting to see what I2 footsies and whiff punishing can look like when you watch characters like Bane and Catwoman skating in and out of range like we saw this past weekend.

That makes sense, because the controls are a little more precise and you don't have walk-start animations like Injustice. I only brought up IV because the footsies were so prominent in that game that I feel like some people just assume V has the same focus on footsies when it's really doesn't.

I think we are just starting to see what I2 footsies and whiff punishing can look like when you watch characters like Bane and Catwoman skating in and out of range like we saw this past weekend.
Yeah no. As someone who played 4 a lot there's nowhere near the same level of focus on proper foosies in 5. Although you could also argue that making it harder made it realllllly obvious who's actually good at it lol. Watching haitani stuff every single dash in is more impressive in V than it was in 4 just cause it's harder.

I never got the chance to play SF IV but everywhere I hear is that it's God'd gift to fighting games. What made it so good?
Oh it's not. See every time a new SF comes out the capcom community shits all over it and sings the praises of the previous game. For 4s release it was "focus attack killed footsies" sf3 was so godlike(with its 5 tournament viable characters). For 3s release it was "parry fighter 3 lul, 2 had such killer gameplay", for sf2 it was "wait there's literally unblockable infinite loops?" But sf1 sucked so we just shit on that too.

Even at the end of sf4s life all you heard was "games balance sucks ass, bet capcup gf is Elena vs Elena come quick sfv".