What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

Glad I will get to play this "Mystery Character" on the PS4 Beta. Kind of sucks that the beta is only for a couple of days though...

Eh, I'll probably be playing I2 after the 16th anyways.

Anyway, this caught my eye:

I still think they need to make some more changes to the balance of the game but it's probably a step in the right direction overall.
I'm actually inclined to think we're going to see more balance nerfs/buffs than the ones they told us about for this coming patch, which is good. This of course for the gameplay and characters.

Usually not gonna go for that unless you're trying to bait a throw by hopping over it. Cr hp, cr mp, and st lp are usually your go to meaties with akuma.
Ok so cr.hp is safe on block also, would you do cr.hp or cr.mp as a combo starter, I know cr.mp links into st.mk does cr.hp link into anything?

*nevermind, cr.hp actually links into more things than cr.mp. That's cool. But I'm not sure how far cr.hp pushes my opponent.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
KOF is fun. A lot of.

I like Urien a lot - but I just cant seem to build the motivation to learn his reflector stuff.

I'll be honest though @FL Rushdown has the right idea with Urien and Akuma. Probably the two "best" characters in the game. (not tier list best). Karin is up there too IMO.

KOF is fun. A lot of.

I like Urien a lot - but I just cant seem to build the motivation to learn his reflector stuff.

I'll be honest though @FL Rushdown has the right idea with Urien and Akuma. Probably the two "best" characters in the game. (not tier list best). Karin is up there too IMO.
Urien seems really strong, Akuma seems good. I mentioned that punk makes Karin look broken but its him. His footsies and reactions are incredible. I think Karin is simply a really really strong character regardless. I don't know who's better her or cammy, probably cammy.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
I'm pretty disappointed in the details we know about the "new" CFN. Seems like all the changes are either (1) very incremental or (2) something a third party modder already created in a few hours. The shorter loading times are apparently almost imperceptible and still much slower than toolassisted's mod, the profile stats that work now could mostly be found on v-league already before Capcom shut that down, the points not erroring out already mostly stopped with the old/current CFN, the netcode itself isn't being improved, the rage quitting icons and announcer are nice I guess but I don't really care ... am I missing any of the improvements? Seems so underwhelming that even after all this time, this is all we're getting. And the new CFN got delayed from late April just to provide us with these tiny changes.

They could at least lower the input lag (a change that basically everyone wants)! That would make a lot of people happy and presumably require relatively low effort.

KOF is fun. A lot of.

Eh. You can get by with just the basic reflector stuff. Whenever you drop really fancy setups on people they just mash ex dp anyway so you don't get to do anything too outrageous.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Urien seems really strong, Akuma seems good. I mentioned that punk makes Karin look broken but its him. His footsies and reactions are incredible. I think Karin is simply a really really strong character regardless. I don't know who's better her or cammy, probably cammy.
Karin is really good, I listed her as among the "best" not in terms of tier but in terms of design. When I play Karin she feels like a complete and well designed character. She isn't paper thin with a single dimension but a varied and interesting character that gives the player choices to make. Which is something that Urien and Akuma do as well. They really feel like fully fleshed out and "done" characters.. where a lot of the roster doesnt.

Cammy is a good example. She's better than Karin and more than likely better than Urien and almost certainly better than Akuma in terms of tier lists, but she, to me, is flat. Cammy just rushes you down and occasionally tic throws.. she has some keepway buttons but nothing in her kit that makes that something you actively want to do. Cammy just pushes buttons. She doesn't have a lot of fun choices to make or lots of combo and juggle options, she just hits buttons and confirms into big damage.

Akuma though.. hell is BnB alone is full of options. He can rush down or play at s little bit removed and hold you out, he has crazy hype shit, setups, demon setups alone are more interesting than some characters entire game plans. Lots of options and lots of cool shit. Urien = same. Lots of options, lots of cool shit. Karin is like that as well.

Karin is really good, I listed her as among the "best" not in terms of tier but in terms of design. When I play Karin she feels like a complete and well designed character. She isn't paper thin with a single dimension but a varied and interesting character that gives the player choices to make. Which is something that Urien and Akuma do as well. They really feel like fully fleshed out and "done" characters.. where a lot of the roster doesnt.

Cammy is a good example. She's better than Karin and more than likely better than Urien and almost certainly better than Akuma in terms of tier lists, but she, to me, is flat. Cammy just rushes you down and occasionally tic throws.. she has some keepway buttons but nothing in her kit that makes that something you actively want to do. Cammy just pushes buttons. She doesn't have a lot of fun choices to make or lots of combo and juggle options, she just hits buttons and confirms into big damage.

Akuma though.. hell is BnB alone is full of options. He can rush down or play at s little bit removed and hold you out, he has crazy hype shit, setups, demon setups alone are more interesting than some characters entire game plans. Lots of options and lots of cool shit. Urien = same. Lots of options, lots of cool shit. Karin is like that as well.
Yea I agree I think akuma and Karin are good AND fun to play. Haven't tried Urien as I never really liked him. I think as being a fun character ibuki is high on the list as well.

SpineRip

Noob
Completely off topic, but does anyone have any good general tips on how the hell to beat Hard and Expert Survival Modes with any character?

I've been trying to beat Hard with Chun-Li (been trying to do it before the next balance patch comes and nearly everyone else gets buffed) and I've tried 10-15 times now and can't beat level 33.

I've tried with some characters I'm usually a bit better with and haven't even gotten that far.

My patience is starting to wear out. I got this game as a single player offline game, thinking there's actually quite a bit of content if I stick to beating everything to buy all DLC content with Fight Money, but now I'm at the point of wondering if I should just buy some DLC or play a different game altogether.

Completely off topic, but does anyone have any good general tips on how the hell to beat Hard and Expert Survival Modes with any character?

I've been trying to beat Hard with Chun-Li (been trying to do it before the next balance patch comes and nearly everyone else gets buffed) and I've tried 10-15 times now and can't beat level 33.

I've tried with some characters I'm usually a bit better with and haven't even gotten that far.

My patience is starting to wear out. I got this game as a single player offline game, thinking there's actually quite a bit of content if I stick to beating everything to buy all DLC content with Fight Money, but now I'm at the point of wondering if I should just buy some DLC or play a different game altogether.
If you're looking for single player content go elsewhere. Beating survival at those difficulties involves playing in ways you aren't supposed to simply to fuck up the AI.

SpineRip

Noob
If you're looking for single player content go elsewhere. Beating survival at those difficulties involves playing in ways you aren't supposed to simply to fuck up the AI.
That's fine. I'm at point now, where I don't mind being cheap, or spamming moves against the AI. I just want to win.

I do realize there are probably better single player fighting games for the PS4 (my PC isn't strong enough for current games), but it seems like all of them have a feature where if you lose against the CPU, and do a rematch, the difficulty gets scaled down so it's easier the next time. I noticed this with MK9 and it completely ruined the game for me. I assume the other NRS games do it as well, and to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the NRS mechanics... I've been a huge fan of Midway/MK since MK1 was only in the arcades, but I don't know, I'm just not feeling the newer NRS titles (I know it may be blasphemous here, but it is what is it is).

It also appears that GG Rev1 (not sure about Rev2 but it's likely the same) also has this CPU difficulty scaling feature, and I really don't like it. It completely demotivates me from playing.

NHDR

Noob
I got to level 68 or so by just spamming Urien's knee attack. Mixed in some jabs and cr. mp's, too. Then the AI got a bit too much finally lol. Its a shitty mode that, in my opinion, makes the overall game lose points. The game would better off if the mode was deleted even though its optional. That's how garbage it is.

EDIT: I have very little Urien experience so I made mistakes by using the incorrect knee version, too. Know your spacing!

SpineRip

Noob
I got to level 68 or so by just spamming Urien's knee attack. Mixed in some jabs and cr. mp's, too. Then the AI got a bit too much finally lol. Its a shitty mode that, in my opinion, makes the overall game lose points. The game would better off if the mode was deleted even though its optional. That's how garbage it is.

EDIT: I have very little Urien experience so I made mistakes by using the incorrect knee version, too. Know your spacing!
You still did pretty good! I haven't tried Expert yet, but I figure if I can't do Hard, then I won't stand a chance on Expert.

I think they could make a few modifications and the mode would be much better (allow DLC character opponents, stages, and even costumes; give you all supplement options, instead of randomize get them; and allowing to continue for a large amount of points - 50k or so), but I also understand why they don't; how difficult/annoying it is got me thinking about buying some Seasons Passes, but until some other offline single player modes are released, there isn't really much motivation me to actually buy them... If I was an online player it would be different, but I'm not.

It's a shame. I did read about how annoying the mode was before opting to buy it, but I thought with enough work, I'd be okay and be able to do it. I'm used to grinding out games like this, but this mode, as is, is truly very annoying.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
That's fine. I'm at point now, where I don't mind being cheap, or spamming moves against the AI. I just want to win.

I do realize there are probably better single player fighting games for the PS4 (my PC isn't strong enough for current games), but it seems like all of them have a feature where if you lose against the CPU, and do a rematch, the difficulty gets scaled down so it's easier the next time. I noticed this with MK9 and it completely ruined the game for me. I assume the other NRS games do it as well, and to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the NRS mechanics... I've been a huge fan of Midway/MK since MK1 was only in the arcades, but I don't know, I'm just not feeling the newer NRS titles (I know it may be blasphemous here, but it is what is it is).

It also appears that GG Rev1 (not sure about Rev2 but it's likely the same) also has this CPU difficulty scaling feature, and I really don't like it. It completely demotivates me from playing.
Idk if GG does that. I remember losing multiple times at hard parts in the BB story. Maybe GG does something different though. I hope not.

SpineRip

Noob
Idk if GG does that. I remember losing multiple times at hard parts in the BB story. Maybe GG does something different though. I hope not.
From what I recall reading, it didn't happen in the Story Mode, only the Arcade Mode, and possibly the MOM Mode.

Thinking about it some more, if there were statistics that showed you if you lost a match, then it wouldn't be too bad... Rev2 simply looks awesome, so I may just pick it up anyway.