What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

My huge thumbs

Ggs I must say 99% of the time my jab AA's were supposed to be ex dp and almost every random jump from half screen was supposed to be a dash Lol, input errors on input errors in this game
I'm not even sure how you could get jab instead of ex dp. You'd have to miss buttons AND not get the motion lol.

SpineRip

Noob
I'm hyped for injustice and mvci, I need to try gg, is that game fun?
I haven't played GG Xrd and the various renditions of it, but the earlier GG games were great and this one looks great too (if you're okay with anime).

If you have a PS4 and PS Plus, you can download a free demo of Rev2 from the Sony Store.

Last edited:
Guys I have a simple question that I just thought of. On counter hit normals/moves can be followed up by more hits right? I mean or at least you're more plus? If that's the case then how the hell do you guys react differently to a regular hit or a counter hit? I mean isn't it way too fast to react differently to each? For example I throw a st.mp, if I connect regularly then that's fine, but what if I connect on a counter hit? How would I be able to react on reactions differently. That's humanly impossible. I'm confused. Any input is appreciated.,

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Completely off topic, but does anyone have any good general tips on how the hell to beat Hard and Expert Survival Modes with any character?

I've been trying to beat Hard with Chun-Li (been trying to do it before the next balance patch comes and nearly everyone else gets buffed) and I've tried 10-15 times now and can't beat level 33.

I've tried with some characters I'm usually a bit better with and haven't even gotten that far.

My patience is starting to wear out. I got this game as a single player offline game, thinking there's actually quite a bit of content if I stick to beating everything to buy all DLC content with Fight Money, but now I'm at the point of wondering if I should just buy some DLC or play a different game altogether.
I wish I had advice for you beyond 'its bullshit, keep trying' but I best survival on all difficulty levels with all characters on PC when Rog and Ibuki double-dropped.. I used ahem.. assistance, that made it one hit, one round, all done. Lol. That's why every character I have is lv28. That's where you end up after all survival modes are beaten.

It's input reading garbage.

EntropicByDesign

Guys I have a simple question that I just thought of. On counter hit normals/moves can be followed up by more hits right? I mean or at least you're more plus? If that's the case then how the hell do you guys react differently to a regular hit or a counter hit? I mean isn't it way too fast to react differently to each? For example I throw a st.mp, if I connect regularly then that's fine, but what if I connect on a counter hit? How would I be able to react on reactions differently. That's humanly impossible. I'm confused. Any input is appreciated.,

You can react to a degree, but the biggest thing is understanding WHEN you're likely to get a CH to behind with, so when you throw out that normal you have some expectation of getting a CH in the first place. I'm bad and can never just a react if I'm not expecting it, but if it's a situation where I have a reasonable expectation of getting a CH Im not entirely unable to confirm. I've also heard players reacting to the sound it makes, since you get a little audio indicator.

You can react to a degree, but the biggest thing is understanding WHEN you're likely to get a CH to behind with, so when you throw out that normal you have some expectation of getting a CH in the first place. I'm bad and can never just a react if I'm not expecting it, but if it's a situation where I have a reasonable expectation of getting a CH Im not entirely unable to confirm. I've also heard players reacting to the sound it makes, since you get a little audio indicator.
Ah ok so it's super important to try to read WHEN you're likely to get a ch right? Makes sense. Either way if you don't get a ch you'll still get the hit but then it becomes risky too right?

Counter hit combos can be confirmed on reaction. It's hard but doable.

Really, is there enough stun on ch then?
Yeah. It's a lot easier to react to something like this than it is to react to an opponents mixups. The options are very limited and the windows are usually pretty generous 15-20 frame counter confirms are common . Add in that you've got scenarios where it's only going to be a counter hit(reasonably) extra hitstop on block to make sure you don't misconfirm, and the fact that it's always coming on your offense where you don't have to focus on anything else and it's doable.

An example is when I'm playing Urien and I get a meaty st mp on a knockdown. If it hits non ch or is blocked I'm going to press cr mp after, if it hits as a counterhit(or it's a really meaty setup and hits non ch) I'm going to press cr hp. Apart from what button I press the sequence is always exactly the same so I can just keep an eye out for the counter hit indicator.

Another really common and useful counter hit confirm is off Akumas f hp. If it hits regular you get st jab or st lk combos and if it hits as a counter you can do b hp or st mk combos. It's way easier than you'd think in that situation.

Another really common and useful counter hit confirm is off Akumas f hp. If it hits regular you get st jab or st lk combos and if it hits as a counter you can do b hp or st mk combos. It's way easier than you'd think in that situation.
Cool I see now. I'll be honest, at first I didn't like akumas f+hp, I was like "when the hell is ANYONE ever going to actually land that?", then I realised it can be done mostly on meaty or even on neutral because it's safe on block. What do you use it for primarily? I mean even on block I believe you once said you can get a jab in if they press buttons immediately after it correct?

Cool I see now. I'll be honest, at first I didn't like akumas f+hp, I was like "when the hell is ANYONE ever going to actually land that?", then I realised it can be done mostly on meaty or even on neutral because it's safe on block. What do you use it for primarily? I mean even on block I believe you once said you can get a jab in if they press buttons immediately after it correct?
It's plus on block so if your opponent is playing scared it's another option you have for punishing them for blocking too much. Its mostly used to beat out throws but it can also be used to hop over some projectiles or over lows(sim/chun gonna auto pilot slide into trigger? This can blow them up for it). You can also use it for a few demon setups or the odd tickthrow.

Also it can otg so if you wanna style on someone you can end a combo with it.

It's plus on block so if your opponent is playing scared it's another option you have for punishing them for blocking too much. Its mostly used to beat out throws but it can also be used to hop over some projectiles or over lows(sim/chun gonna auto pilot slide into trigger? This can blow them up for it). You can also use it for a few demon setups or the odd tickthrow.

Also it can otg so if you wanna style on someone you can end a combo with it.
Cool, akumas has many options, I'm just waiting to see how much a little more health will help him out.

EntropicByDesign

Annnddddd, a buddy of mine has started playing SFV again. I cant even choose a game, let alone a main. SFV and KOF I guess. Sigh.

Back to Camarin and probably Akuma. I need to make the transition to Cammy from Karin.

Last edited:
Annnddddd, a buddy of mine has started playing SFV again. I cant even choose a game, let alone a main. SFV and KOF I guess. Sigh.

Back to Camarin and probably Akuma. I need to make the transition to Cammy from Karin.
Since you've played both, I'm guessing Karin is funner to play than cammy? There was a time where I wanted to main Karin but honestly I don't think I can play a character that doesn't have a fireball. I know in sfv every character has an anti fireball move but I don't know, I want my hadoukens in there lol.

EntropicByDesign

Since you've played both, I'm guessing Karin is funner to play than cammy? There was a time where I wanted to main Karin but honestly I don't think I can play a character that doesn't have a fireball. I know in sfv every character has an anti fireball move but I don't know, I want my hadoukens in there lol.
Fun is a relative thing. I 'prefer' Karin because Karin has more shit and that shit covers me being bad sometimes. Like her pinwheel arms (I can't be bothered to learn the real move names, shits complex) as an example. It's an odd move I almost never do, but if I'm struggling to get in or get that last bit of damage, or in a situation where I just feel like it'll surprise the person, I tend to throw it out, and the ability to end it in a throw, OH, or low makes me force a guess when someone is on low health. Stupid, but surprisingly effective even at higher levels of play.

Karin also has her command dashes which cover my inability to walk forward and control space properly. Fuck you, I'll just dash close. Same goes for her excellent regular dashes as well.

I do find her combos the most fun and satisfying of any character in the game. But also among the most difficult as far as just BnBs are concerned. (I said AMONG THE MOST, for anyone getting ready to yell at me about who's harder).

Karin's buttons are great.

Now, the issue here, is I feel like Karin is at her best when played as a whiff punish/footsie monster that transitions into pressure off of that success in neutral. But I don't play her that way. I play her as a hard pressure character that's always going in and trying to stay there, working a tic throw game off my frame advantage (I don't give a fuck what the real definition of a tic throw is or if she does or doesn't have them and something something fuck off.) And trying to crack you open.

....which is essentially Cammy. I like Karin, but if I can transition over to Cammy I feel like i stand to be more successful. Cammy is just MEANT to be played the way I kind of naturally play and she has the buttons to make it happen. I also gain a non-metered AA, more dangerous throw game and since anyone who's played me knows I LOVE me some jumping, a dive kick,, the hooligan flip and soon a super goofy ass air throw.

Cammy also still provides the things I usually gravitate towards in a character, and that's speed and mobility and damage. As much as I like reflector setups and bomb setups and all that, it's just not something I'm very good at.. so I tend to value characters who's strength is straight forward and easy to tap in to. That's not to say Urien's basic combo extension mirrors or ibukis damage bomb combos are hard, but those don't make them DANGEROUS. It's the super long sequences with multiple ambiguous ass guesses that do 75% of a life bar that make those characters truly dangerous, im terrible at remembering that stuff and executing it all when it matters. Characters like Cammy and Karin though, I can just pop vtrigger and make a couple combos hurt more and I'm done.

Last edited:
Fun is a relative thing. I 'prefer' Karin because Karin has more shit and that shit covers me being bad sometimes. Like her pinwheel arms (I can't be bothered to learn the real move names, shits complex) as an example. It's an odd move I almost never do, but if I'm struggling to get in or get that last bit of damage, or in a situation where I just feel like it'll surprise the person, I tend to throw it out, and the ability to end it in a throw, OH, or low makes me force a guess when someone is on low health. Stupid, but surprisingly effective even at higher levels of play.

Karin also has her command dashes which cover my inability to walk forward and control space properly. Fuck you, I'll just dash close. Same goes for her excellent regular dashes as well.

I do find her combos the most fun and satisfying of any character in the game. But also among the most difficult as far as just BnBs are concerned. (I said AMONG THE MOST, for anyone getting ready to yell at me about who's harder).

Karin's buttons are great.

Now, the issue here, is I feel like Karin is at her best when played as a whiff punish/footsie monster that transitions into pressure off of that success in neutral. But I don't play her that way. I play her as a hard pressure character that's always going in and trying to stay there, working a tic throw game off my frame advantage (I don't give a fuck what the real definition of a tic throw is or if she does or doesn't have them and something something fuck off.) And trying to crack you open.

....which is essentially Cammy. I like Karin, but if I can transition over to Cammy I feel like i stand to be more successful. Cammy is just MEANT to be played the way I kind of naturally play and she has the buttons to make it happen. I also gain a non-metered AA, more dangerous throw game and since anyone who's played me knows I LOVE me some jumping, a dive kick,, the hooligan flip and soon a super goofy ass air throw.

Cammy also still provides the things I usually gravitate towards in a character, and that's speed and mobility and damage. As much as I like reflector setups and bomb setups and all that, it's just not something I'm very good at.. so I tend to value characters who's strength is straight forward and easy to tap in to. That's not to say Urien's basic combo extension mirrors or ibukis damage bomb combos are hard, but those don't make them DANGEROUS. It's the super long sequences with multiple ambiguous ass guesses that do 75% of a life bar that make those characters truly dangerous, im terrible at remembering that stuff and executing it all when it matters. Characters like Cammy and Karin though, I can just pop vtrigger and make a couple combos hurt more and I'm done.
Yea I'm the same way in execution, it's hard for me to execute longer more complex timed combos etc. I agree both cammy and Karin are pressure, throw, footsie characters. Very strong. I tried ibuki for like a week lol but she seems very execution heavy, heaviest in the game? Probably. Unless I'm missing someone.