What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

Wetdoba

All too easy...
wow man its called practice.. i don't understand why something not being 1 button to do everything or something is that frustrating? Did you fuckin Run the first time you crawled? this games super fuckin ez execution wise compared to like USF4 / 3s etc..

and this game has 300% more footsies then mkx does atm, with everyone having solid anti airs and being able to punish startup / active frames of normals. not to mention they made confirming single normals into CA / Specials super ez and leniant
I dont think most NRS players even know what confirming is or how to do it. They all learned playing fighting games at the University of Nike: just do it

wow man its called practice.. i don't understand why something not being 1 button to do everything or something is that frustrating? Did you fuckin Run the first time you crawled? this games super fuckin ez execution wise compared to like USF4 / 3s etc..

and this game has 300% more footsies then mkx does atm, with everyone having solid anti airs and being able to punish startup / active frames of normals. not to mention they made confirming single normals into CA / Specials super ez and leniant
I already mentioned those are my first impressions, I'm playing only for a week and I have no SF experience. I'm only saying execution seems unnecessary difficult, so there is no need to tell me to practice, I already know that. I only said it to get some advice.

Which one? The random grabs? All the time with me :). For Gief, both on block and hit. I just tried it on practice. I set the AI on reversal d1 and was trying to d1 grab. I noticed it worked only on very strict timing.
Well for Gief (Im assuming when you say d1 you mean crouch jab) on hit it will not combo you have to delay it a tiny bit due to the hitstun. On block it should work. If you are getting jabbed then you are not doing it fast enough. Also when you say throw, you do mean SPD right?

Well for Gief (Im assuming when you say d1 you mean crouch jab) on hit it will not combo you have to delay it a tiny bit due to the hitstun. On block it should work. If you are getting jabbed then you are not doing it fast enough. Also when you say throw, you do mean SPD right?
Yes I mean crouch LP. Yes SPD...fdbu Punch -_- =)

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
Looks like Bison's cr.HK (the slide kick) is only -4 if you hit from max distance. Ryu can punish it with st.LP (3 frames) but not cr.LP (4 frames).

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
SF uses a hidden juggle point system. After every hit the juggle count goes up one point and you have to use a stronger move. That's why EX bar is mostly used to extend combos.
That explains a lot. Really helps with combos and conversion off weird situations. Thanks for that.

I hope one of the things coming in march is an explanation of all the little stuff like that in tutorial mode. I don't know why that system needs to be hidden, it's not 1993 any more, show us how the game works please.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
Bison's slide can push a grounded opponent into the corner. For instance, after a Devil's Reverse, do an immediate cr.HK, and it will push them a significantly further distance.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Here's a non-trash Vega to watch:

His stance switches remind me of Nightwing

Last edited:

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Watching one of my favorite commentators play, Aris. He plays a mean Rashid, but I can't help but feel its not the perfect character choice for him. His Rashid is constantly poking and when it gets to the end, his opponents are armoring through to steal the win. His perfect character is either Cammy (for her speed), Necalli (for his pressure and command grab), or Laura (for her safe-to-follow projectile and command grab). You know you don't wanna back off and play lame to close out games, but that is how Rashid is played.

Yoaks

A spaceman
To whoever said there's no point in playing noobs who dp and do gimmicks.

This game is all about knowing how to beat gimmicks to force your opponent to play proper. What separates good players from the bad is knowing how to cut off gameplans.

After all, if they're scrubs, you should wipe the floor with them.
You have a point.

Watching one of my favorite commentators play, Aris. He plays a mean Rashid, but I can't help but feel its not the perfect character choice for him. His Rashid is constantly poking and when it gets to the end, his opponents are armoring through to steal the win. His perfect character is either Cammy (for her speed), Necalli (for his pressure and command grab), or Laura (for her safe-to-follow projectile and command grab). You know you don't wanna back off and play lame to close out games, but that is how Rashid is played.
Hi, what do you mean by "armoring through"?

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Ok, so being a SF noob, I have some questions about the neutral game. How does the priority of normals work in this game? Like, I'm hearing that if someone does a s.MK, and I respond with a s.HP, my punch will win the trade, is that accurate? And if so, does range factor into it at all? Like Chun's s.MK vs Cammy's s.HP, would Chun's outrange Cammy and win, or would Cammy's stuff it despite the range difference if she did it as a response?

I don't know where to start lol

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Ok, so being a SF noob, I have some questions about the neutral game. How does the priority of normals work in this game? Like, I'm hearing that if someone does a s.MK, and I respond with a s.HP, my punch will win the trade, is that accurate? And if so, does range factor into it at all? Like Chun's s.MK vs Cammy's s.HP, would Chun's outrange Cammy and win, or would Cammy's stuff it despite the range difference if she did it as a response?

I don't know where to start lol
if two active hitboxes collide with each each other's hurtbox on the same frame the higher strength button wins.

the same frame/hurtbox of a move part is important. higher strength buttons can be hit out of with jabs. for example, i can cr. jab dhalsim out of st. mk from halfscreen

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
the same frame/hurtbox of a move part is important. higher strength buttons can be hit out of with jabs. for example, i can cr. jab dhalsim out of st. mk from halfscreen
Holy shit that will help me in that MU so much lol. Thank you based Shaz.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
It's mainly that some attacks will connect, while others will simply pass through the opponent. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I'll mess with it in practice mode and get back to you.

Also, anyone know how the fuck I get the recorded Wake-Up moves to work in Practice Mode? It's driving me crazy that nothing is explained. What the fuck does "Interval Setting" do? Does "Wake-Up Slowdown" just make it easier to record, or does it affect the wakeup in any way? I've got Ryu set to do his uppercut special when he wakes up, but he simply refuses to do it. I can get Guard Recovery playback to work, just not Wake-Up playback.
I don't know if you saw my explanation of SF's combo system but there is a hidden juggle point system being used. Every time you hit the counter goes up "1" with a few exceptions. So you need something to hit that has a point setting that's the same or higher. It's why Ken needs to burn EX meter after cr.MK tatsu. SF isn't a combo heavy game where you lop off 30% every touch. They want you to play a lot and whittle down your opponent. Hitting for 300+ Damage (out of the average 1000 HP) is for stuff like jump ins and counter hits. Things that is a reward for beating your opponent.

I think interval setting changes how it switches between the 5 recordings. The setting number might be in seconds. "Wake up slowdown" Slows down the wakeup timing to make it easier to record. I would say make sure it says "reversal" when you record. I did that and got it to work first time. Someone made a video on how to use training mode and it covers all types of stuff. From that previously seen "reaction training" to whatever else. (I haven't watched it cause I'm no lab rat. Probably my biggest flaw as a player lol.)

I haven't played other SF games so I wouldn't know, But in MK I find most execution easy and with SF everything too difficult.
I think you playing with a wrong mindset. Seems like you had no clue how this game was going to work and now you're in a rough patch. If you're having trouble with getting jabbed then you need to work on your timing. SF is big on timing. Meaty hits on wake up (not how NRS makes delayed wake up and extra long strings), they made all throws susceptible to light attacks because of speed which just means people have more reason to mash LP which in turns means people are more susceptible to frame traps and counter hit setups.

I think you're best bet is looking up some of the tutorial videos that's been posted in this very thread so you can actually understand what's going on before complaining.

That explains a lot. Really helps with combos and conversion off weird situations. Thanks for that.

I hope one of the things coming in march is an explanation of all the little stuff like that in tutorial mode. I don't know why that system needs to be hidden, it's not 1993 any more, show us how the game works please.
At this point it's pretty much a known legacy thing. Not enough people care for Capcom to care to upgrade how they do things. I mean I thought NRS was pretty good until MKx came out and moves had no description, and status effects had no timer or stock count or anything. Arc Sys and SG are probably the best at teaching players from what I've played.

if two active hitboxes collide with each each other's hurtbox on the same frame the higher strength button wins.

How would you crouch jab Dhalsim out of his medium kick?

GAV

Hi, what do you mean by "armoring through"?
Using meter to beat out his regular poking attacks at the end of matches.

Aris' Rasheed is very good, but he's been having trouble closing out matches. His pressure is great, but that's how he's getting beat at the end when he loses.

E

Eldriken

so would Sim's st.MK touch you at this spacing?
Like, would it hit you if you didn't press anything? I don't know. Even if it won't hit you, the fact that his limbs have a hurtbox on them means your button only has to reach where his limbs are gonna be. It's all about spacing, timing and reads.

People hit Dhalsim out of shit all the time in SFIV. There's a video of Daigo doing a Shoryuken cancelled into a Shinku Hadoken from full screen after clipping Dhalsim's fists from a full screen crHP (or maybe it's standing? I don't remember).

GAV

Can't test it now but it's possible for Ryu to cancel his DP into his CA right?
Has to be before he leaves the ground. Its a very short window.

Do it from his EX DP and its much easier. The window is much larger. People forget there's two different meters to work with.