What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

LOL - look at this BS....
According to V frames, l dp is the only one with throw invincibility (it is throw and lower body invincible) from start up, which would mean medium, heavy and ex can be grabbed (V frames makes a point of stating heavy is throw invincible from frames 4-7, but I thought all dp's were airborne at this stage anyway, so I'm not sure why it bears mentioning).

This is news to me. My understanding was that invincible frames were fully invincible to hits and throws.

i guess ken isnt in an airborn state? at the least it should trade. no?
Not necessarily. Depends on which dp is performed as they all have different start ups. I don't know the specifics of that particular frame trap, but the way to escape it is to jump as the entire jump animation is throw invincible, or do a throw invincible move. It's mix ups like that one that make you want to keep Mika out.

If you have an iPhone or Android phone, download V frames. It's free and really useful.

I've been trying to replicate grabbing Ken out of a dp, but I can't get it to work. I'm using Gief's c.lp into spd. C.lp is +3 on block, SPD 5 frames, so the first active frame should be on frame 3 of the dp, and I'm doing it against heavy DP which is 4 frame start up. If Ken is indeed grounded during the beginning animation, then it should work, but it isn't.

Any ideas?

Edit: I've been able to get it to work with Mika using the s.mp-ex grab. What's weird is that V frames lists s.mp as -2 and ex grab as 5 start up. Also, the range in which it grabs a DP is a range that it would normally whiff, and it's not listed as having any special properties. Could this be a bug?

Last edited:

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I've been trying to replicate grabbing Ken out of a dp, but I can't get it to work. I'm using Gief's c.lp into spd. C.lp is +3 on block, SPD 5 frames, so the first active frame should be on frame 3 of the dp, and I'm doing it against heavy DP which is 4 frame start up. If Ken is indeed grounded during the beginning animation, then it should work, but it isn't.

Any ideas?
I think the key isn't just the frames, but also the distance. Ken looks too far away for his lp DP to connect. My theory is that the hitbox on kens DP didn't reach Mikas hurtbox, but the hitbox of Mikas grab was large enough to hit Kens hurtbox. Not sure what the invincibility is like on Kens lp DP but clearly he wasn't invincible at time of Mikas grab active frames lol.

I think the key isn't just the frames, but also the distance. Ken looks too far away for his lp DP to connect. My theory is that the hitbox on kens DP didn't reach Mikas hurtbox, but the hitbox of Mikas grab was large enough to hit Kens hurtbox. Not sure what the invincibility is like on Kens lp DP but clearly he wasn't invincible at time of Mikas grab active frames lol.
It could be that. If it's only throw invincible between frames 1-5, maybe you can grab him on frame 6 onwards? It would make sense mathematically as the grab would be active on the 8th frame of the dp.

Edit: I think the ex grab might also recess Mika's hurt box a little too. I tried a similar set up with Gief using s.mk into l spd, but Gief learns forward during the spd animation and gets hit. The ranges are about the same as the Mika frame trap, as are the numbers, so it must be related to the hit boxes.

Last edited:

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
ah-. as a Laura player - i know that ive been hit out of a command grab with ken's wakeup DP. so i was confused. thx guys

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
Are any of you guys liking this game better than MK? I'm a Street Fighter player at heart but for w/e reason i find mkxl better than sfv simply because mkxl is more fun to play.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Are any of you guys liking this game better than MK? I'm a Street Fighter player at heart but for w/e reason i find mkxl better than sfv simply because mkxl is more fun to play.
I don't enjoy MKX that much to be honest. SF is more enjoyable but I don't play it enough to be a high level player at all. I'm just a slightly below average skilled SF player trying to figure out the game and the meta and all that good stuff.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I'm really enjoying how they made. How you have to use his normals. How his V-skill and V-trigger work. Everything.

ah-. as a Laura player - i know that ive been hit out of a command grab with ken's wakeup DP. so i was confused. thx guys
Standing right next to Ken when he Wakeup DPs is different than a DP at a distance. Different variables come in to play. I mean the situation changes depending on which DP was used in both scenarios. If you see a certain situation happen it's best to try and replicate it so you truly understand. You can use watch your matches with the inputs on and dissect what's going on and your options.

I haven't played MKx in a while. Even before SFV's launch. I've thought about playing it again but remembering how I have to deal with plain scrubby shenanigan after shenanigan makes me question if I really feel like it. Makes me kind of sad cause I bought the DLC combo pack but it's whatever. Live and Learn. SFV may be in a rough place right now but I still find it to be built on a better fighting game base than MK. Plus I got blazblue and GG if I ever feel like playing another fighter. KoF is out in august and I got SG anytime that game is just plain fun imo. Honestly if MKx was at least as fun as Marvel or SG then maybe I'd overlook the BS among other things.

Rizz091

Noob
I love MKX but was forced to play SFV when they dropped the pc version of MKX. I played a lot of SFIV and XTekken, but it had been a while. I didn't have fun with V at first, but once I found my character and started figuring things out I like it more than MK at least from a gameplay perspective.

I love both games, I have to say I enjoy both the same, the one thing I'd like to point out is that on a casual play level the 50/50's in mk x kinda dumb it down in my opinion as you can be outplaying an opponent then a wrong guess makes you lose the round/match but still both are enjoyable to me.

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
Cammy's coming to box you up for changing your avatar Scott. LOL

traitor...