What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

How often are you guys successful with teching throws? Are they on the middle-ish level of difficulty? Are they usually hard to pull off for you guys? What's the average success rate you guys have on tech throws when someone wants to throw you?
It's only slightly more difficult than 4 due to crouch teching not being a thing. Fairly successful even with the 2 frame lockout.

If you are getting thrown even though you are pressing the inputs, it's because you can't press other buttons with the tech inputs to OS it anymore. If you do that, you get locked out from being able to tech for 2 frames. I think what's happening to a lot of people is they try to mash the tech inputs, but if you accidentally press either lk or lp slightly before the other, you're gonna get thrown.

I just had EX Ressenha stuffed by jump ins after it was active twice in a row. So there's that.

So I got an interesting bet by text, first to 10 Ryu vs Zangief but me using Ryu instead of Gief. Not sure when this is going to take place but it will be interesting to see others experience the struggle.

Last edited:

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
It's only slightly more difficult than 4 due to crouch teching not being a thing. Fairly successful even with the 2 frame lockout.

If you are getting thrown even though you are pressing the inputs, it's because you can't press other buttons with the tech inputs to OS it anymore. If you do that, you get locked out from being able to tech for 2 frames. I think what's happening to a lot of people is they try to mash the tech inputs, but if you accidentally press either lk or lp slightly before the other, you're gonna get thrown.

I just had EX Ressenha stuffed by jump ins after it was active twice in a row. So there's that.
Thanks for the input
Do you know if using a directional input while teching will lock u out as well?

I feel like that might be my issue if directional inputs lock you out.

Does anybody else struggle to anti air Ken's H.Tatsu? The proximity block hit box seems to prevent me from doing anything. If I'm crouching, I can c.hp before he reaches his apex, but if im standing I tend to find myself just blocking, regardless of what I press, which of course puts me in the throw/dp 50/50.

Any tips?

Does anybody else struggle to anti air Ken's H.Tatsu? The proximity block hit box seems to prevent me from doing anything. If I'm crouching, I can c.hp before he reaches his apex, but if im standing I tend to find myself just blocking, regardless of what I press, which of course puts me in the throw/dp 50/50.

Any tips?

Build a better defensive game. Blocking and teaching throws are options.

Build a better defensive game. Blocking and teaching throws are options.
Blocked heavy tatsu is -2. Ex and l.dp are invincible. If I tech and he dp's, I get hit, if he throws and I block, I get thrown. My character doesn't have an invincible reversal, so it's a 50/50.

And by asking about anti airing, I am attempting to build a better defensive game. Don't be a dick.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Blocked heavy tatsu is -2. Ex and l.dp are invincible. If I tech and he dp's, I get hit, if he throws and I block, I get thrown. My character doesn't have an invincible reversal, so it's a 50/50.

And by asking about anti airing, I am attempting to build a better defensive game. Don't be a dick.
Doesnt H Tatsu go up and over if you block it? Or are you meaning V trigger tatsu? If the situation is as you make out just block. You might take throw damage but when he dp's you get the crush counter. How often can they put you in that situation anyway? Work a way to keep it from happening if you cant deal with the mixup, similar to Mika HK.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You should be more afraid to DP than to get hit by one. Roughly 150 damage vs 300+ and racking up stun? I wish you would DP. :p

It's called using your brain and conditioning your opponent. There is no definitive answer for what you are asking. You are practically asking how to play the game when there is a record > playback option in training mode where you can practice the exact question you are asking. Where you can experiment what works and what doesn't an infinite amount of times without worrying about winning/losing. I haven't read any of the older posts on here so with that said, I fail to see where you even mentioned what character you are using, all you are saying is "My character doesn't have this"......If your character doesn't have the ability to do a specific technique than maybe your characters best option is block and maybe use a v-counter or tech a throw to gain some space. Sorry for "being a dick". sensitive.

Doesnt H Tatsu go up and over if you block it? Or are you meaning V trigger tatsu? If the situation is as you make out just block. You might take throw damage but when he dp's you get the crush counter. How often can they put you in that situation anyway? Work a way to keep it from happening if you cant deal with the mixup, similar to Mika HK.
I'm not on about when they do it at point blank range, that I can handle, it's when it's just outside jump in range and they use it as a get in tool. Something about the proximity block seems to prevent me using any anti airs after they reach the apex.

I could just block and go for the crush counter, but I play Gief, so one of my main priorities in a match is to disuade my opponent from deciding to go air born, so anti airing them, keeping them scared to get near me, and pushing them into the corner as they attempt to zone me is my primary goal. Allowing Ken to do a heavy tatsu without anti airing it is allowing him to regain space that I've fought to take from him.

When the proximity block starts, lariat, c.hp and stand jab don't come out, and s.hp and air spd get beaten out. Even v skill gets locked out, so I can't absorb and use the punch to shut down the follow up.

If I'm looking for the tatsu I can beat it with c.hp before he reaches the apex, so it looks as though I'm just going to have to be prepared for it at all times, unless anyone knows any little trick about beating the proximity block.

It's called using your brain and conditioning your opponent. There is no definitive answer for what you are asking. You are practically asking how to play the game when there is a record > playback option in training mode where you can practice the exact question you are asking. Where you can experiment what works and what doesn't an infinite amount of times without worrying about winning/losing. I haven't read any of the older posts on here so with that said, I fail to see where you even mentioned what character you are using, all you are saying is "My character doesn't have this"......If your character doesn't have the ability to do a specific technique than maybe your characters best option is block and maybe use a v-counter or tech a throw to gain some space. Sorry for "being a dick". sensitive.
I've already used the training mode features and discovered it was the proximity block that was causing the problem, and came here to see if anyone had any ways around it.

Your responses have been useless.

Ignore.

Mika's HK is way easier to deal with then the Tatsu, It seems if you c.HP at the top of it he will be out of the corner from what I have tried and that obviously kills the aim of Gief.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
I've already used the training mode features and discovered it was the proximity block that was causing the problem, and came here to see if anyone had any ways around it.

Your responses have been useless.

Ignore.
I don't play Gief but have you tried to backdash and avoid the situation completely or maybe neutral jump air to air it.
Don't know if it's feasible but worth a shot?

I don't play Gief but have you tried to backdash and avoid the situation completely or maybe neutral jump air to air it.
Don't know if it's feasible but worth a shot?
I'll test it next chance I get. It won't beat EX Dp, as the second lot of hits will catch him in recovery, but if it beats the others then it'll be worth it.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Mika's HK is way easier to deal with then the Tatsu, It seems if you c.HP at the top of it he will be out of the corner from what I have tried and that obviously kills the aim of Gief.
I dont understand what you mean, is he doing the air tatsu or just smashing out a HK tatsu in your face while grounded?

I dont understand what you mean, is he doing the air tatsu or just smashing out a HK tatsu in your face while grounded?
I was referring to grounded, but from around jump in distance as a way of clawing back space, but I think JJ meant up close so it goes up and over.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I was referring to grounded, but from around jump in distance as a way of clawing back space, but I think JJ meant up close so it goes up and over.
In that case its like -50on block not -2, he shouldnt be able to do anything at all? Where did you find that his HK tatsu is -2 on block please, i still am not able to picture this situation now from what you have said. I will lab it tonight but can you describe the situation, where both characters are on the screen, is ken in v trigger?

In that case its like -50on block not -2, he shouldnt be able to do anything at all? Where did you find that his HK tatsu is -2 on block please, i still am not able to picture this situation now from what you have said. I will lab it tonight but can you describe the situation, where both characters are on the screen, is ken in v trigger?
V frames. You're going by SRK aren't you?