What's new

Steam database achievements - Roster speculation

Whippoorwill

In my hater era
She's alright. I'm more concerned with variety in the roster, and having people who've missed a game or two coming back. I don't like the same core group being shoehorned into every game, and especially when they're as boring as Sonya. I thought the kombat kids were pretty dull, but I'd rather have Cassie take Sonya's place for a game or two so that NRS can actually move the storyline forward. I don't want another Cage family soap opera game, but it seems that's what we're going to get.
Ok so let's discuss variety.

Sonya, Cassie and Jacqui are special forces. And females. Because that's a trait some people have. So two things.

Subby and Scorpion are male. They're also 'ninjas'. Look at that! Two things in common!

But one is fire and one is ice you say. The three women fight the same.

Well I never in my life saw Sonya shoot guns in gameplay. Or Cassie do a leg grab.

Liu Kang and Kung Lao. Both men. Both monks. Same trainer. Look at that! THREE things in common! Omg!

Let's go over Mileena. LITERALLY A CLONE OF ANOTHER CHARACTER.

I could go on. The point is, people nitpick WHO they want to treat as unoriginal because of similarities to deviate from their conscious or subconscious actual reasons.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist

Sonya, Cassie and Jacqui are special forces. And females. Because that's a trait some people have. So two things.

Subby and Scorpion are male. They're also 'ninjas'. Look at that! Two things in common!

Well I never in my life saw Sonya shoot guns in gameplay. Or Cassie do a leg grab.

Liu Kang and Kung Lao. Both men. Both monks. Same trainer. Look at that! THREE things in common! Omg!

I could go on. The point is, people nitpick WHO they want to treat as unoriginal because of similarities to deviate from their conscious or subconscious actual reasons.
Whoever was MKX that isn't Scorpion, Sub Zero or Raiden can sit one out. Whoever was both MK9 and MKX that isn't Scorpion, Sub Zero or Raiden should sit one out. Only those very crucial to the story should be kept, like I belive Liu Kang and Kitana.

Fan favorites that we didn't have in MKX should have priority over everyone else.

Sonya had very little to do with MKX's story already, the "Oh-no Kano!" bit is getting old. Mileena has done what she had to do it MKX and there's no reason to bring her back.

Last edited:

vapid

cyber warlord

When did Liu Kang and Kung Lao last miss a game? I don't mind either being dropped.

Sonya, Johnny and Jax all 'passed the torch' to the younger generation in MKX. Let's have them sit out MK 11 and let their kids have the spotlight. That's reasonable, right? (And I don't like Jacqui, but I'm happy to put my personal taste to one side and let NRS try to improve her).

Subby and Scorpion are not going to be dropped, realistically. They're the icons of the franchise - they also have entirely different powers/tool sets and are only alike in the most general terms. I didn't coin the terms special forces or kombat kids, but they're (disparagingly) used for a reason...

Mileena is a clone, yes, and I'm saying that she should be dropped for a game. I'm not sure what your point is here. Jade missed MKX, and in turn Mileena can miss MK 11. Why not? She's dead anyway.

All I'm asking for is fewer characters being carried over from game to game, and more variety on the roster. I don't know what points you're trying to make, as you pointing out that Liu Kang & Kung Lao are both Shaolin, or Subby & Scorpion are both 'ninjas' does not detract from my general argument.

Crimea

Noob
I understand when people complaining about not included characters. But why are there so many complaints about included characters? No one forces you to play them

vapid

cyber warlord
I understand when people complaining about not included characters. But why are there so many complaints about included characters? No one forces you to play them
This makes no sense.

Each character takes up a slot - if that slot has been given to an included character you're complaining about, it's a slot that cannot go to a not included character you'd like.

It's all relative.

Crimea

Noob
This makes no sense.

Each character takes up a slot - if that slot has been given to an included character you're complaining about, it's a slot that cannot go to a not included character you'd like.

It's all relative.
in the end the roster will end up somewhere in 38 spots. If they won't include someone like Fujin in this 38 doesn't mean they would include him if there wasn't Sonya in the game.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
in the end the roster will end up somewhere in 38 spots. If they won't include someone like Fujin in this 38 doesn't mean they would include him if there wasn't Sonya in the game.
It doesn't have to be Fujin. I personally don't care for Baraka at all, but I'm happy to see him back since he skipped MKX and I'm sure his fans are happy to see him back.

vapid

cyber warlord
I agree with you about Fujin - I don't think NRS like him or will include him.

Like I say, though, I'd rather Cassie replaced her mother for a few games. I don't see what's wrong with that. I mean when the hell do Johnny and Sonya retire? They're like 50 as it is.

Crimea

Noob
It doesn't have to be Fujin. I personally don't care for Baraka at all, but I'm happy to see him back since he skipped MKX and I'm sure his fans are happy to see him back.
I'm pretty sure almost every fan favorite that skipped mkx will return at least in DLC. And if you consider someone like Moloch, Dairou, Nitara etc, I don't think they would have a chance to be included even in the roster of 50.
I'm more concerned about guest characters. If it's 2 or 3 per kombat pack

Last edited:

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
The same people have been writing the mk story for 15 years.
As far as I know the main writer for MK11, Shawn Kittelsen, is doing this for the first time. He was previously working on INJ2 and the MKX comics and is no writing for an MK game for the first time.

But that's not the point. I was just saying that I have the impression that they change their focus a lot. With MKX, they introduced a new generation and closed the game with these younger characters taking the spotlight. But instead of going forward with them, MK11 is more focussed around the old ones again - maybe due to fan backlash. The jump from MK9 to X was similar. Earth Realm was left in a dangerous state at the end of the story with many of the strongest fighters dead. But instead of dealing with the aftermath, MKX jumps like 20 years into the future.

Don't get me wrong, that's not even a complaint. I enjoyed every story mode so far and I'm super happy with the work their doing. I'm just curious if there is a long term plan at work for the new timeline, that we'll understand after MK11, or if they develope the stories for each game relatively independent from each other.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
As far as I know the main writer for MK11, Shawn Kittelsen, is doing this for the first time. He was previously working on INJ2 and the MKX comics and is no writing for an MK game for the first time.

But that's not the point. I was just saying that I have the impression that they change their focus a lot. With MKX, they introduced a new generation and closed the game with these younger characters taking the spotlight. But instead of going forward with them, MK11 is more focussed around the old ones again - maybe due to fan backlash. The jump from MK9 to X was similar. Earth Realm was left in a dangerous state at the end of the story with many of the strongest fighters dead. But instead of dealing with the aftermath, MKX jumps like 20 years into the future.

Don't get me wrong, that's not even a complaint. I enjoyed every story mode so far and I'm super happy with the work their doing. I'm just curious if there is a long term plan at work for the new timeline, that we'll understand after MK11, or if they develope the stories for each game relatively independent from each other.

I think I read somewhere that the idea for MK11's story came during MKXs production, so maybe it will interact better with the MKX story than it looks like. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

mikeraskol

Beverly Hills High Class of 2010 Valedictorian
I agree with you about Fujin - I don't think NRS like him or will include him.

Like I say, though, I'd rather Cassie replaced her mother for a few games. I don't see what's wrong with that. I mean when the hell do Johnny and Sonya retire? They're like 50 as it is.
I tend to agree with you on this one, especially since I thought they did a good job with Cassie in MKX. But I think we live in a world where NRS has Raiden, Sub Zero, Scorpion, Sonya and Johnny Cage all on the list of core people that need to be in each game. Personally I wouldn't mind dropping all of them after MK11, shifting to the others/kombat kids for a little bit (but I like change and new stuff more than reliance on nostalgia).

Raider

Noob
I am pretty sure that everyone can find at least one or two characters to really like and main. It's really frustrating when your favorite doesn't make it, but that's how it is. Hopefully some fan favorites will return.
I for example really want Sindel. Maybe i will not play her a lot, maybe i will not even like her in MK11... but i really want to see her back, because i think that she is iconic MK character and that she should get similar treatment to Scorpion, S-Z, Kitana... but maybe it's just me.

SindelQueen

Sindels gay husband
I am pretty sure that everyone can find at least one or two characters to really like and main. It's really frustrating when your favorite doesn't make it, but that's how it is. Hopefully some fan favorites will return.
I for example really want Sindel. Maybe i will not play her a lot, maybe i will not even like her in MK11... but i really want to see her back, because i think that she is iconic MK character and that she should get similar treatment to Scorpion, S-Z, Kitana... but maybe it's just me.
I agree with you 100%! I mean she’s so iconic and I think they should start treating her as a legacy ;(! It’s gonna be so unfair if she’s not in mk11 after fighting with her in mkx
Her and rain should be base roster for 11 since they were npc in mkx and you could fight them ! Such a tease lol

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
That's my guess as well, at this point. As long as she's in I'll be content, but I was really hoping for her in the base roster with a role in the story. If she's out entirely I'll be really, really bummed.
And she would be a really good fit for the story. If they continue the Revenant story, Kitana is more prominent and Jade is back, they could find a role for her. And if the story goes back to important moments in the past, her killing half of Earth Realm's heroes is one of the biggest gamechangers in the new timeline. Similar to how Fujin would make a lot of sense with Dark Raiden...

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
And she would be a really good fit for the story. If they continue the Revenant story, Kitana is more prominent and Jade is back, they could find a role for her. And if the story goes back to important moments in the past, her killing half of Earth Realm's heroes is one of the biggest gamechangers in the new timeline. Similar to how Fujin would make a lot of sense with Dark Raiden...
Especially with Jade's MK9 ending, Kitana's MKX ending, and the Tanya/Rain plot in MKX, it feels like 'restoring Edenia' is a plot point they've been building towards. It would be bizarre for Sindel not to factor into that.

I'll be honest, my favorite mk character has always been Ermac. Every mk game that's announced, I'm always super hyped to main Ermac and sub zero and after 6 months of playing the game, I find that ermac is nowhere near my best character and I end up maining someone else.

In mk9 I ended up maining Nightwolf, a character I always thought was pointless. In mkx I was sooooo hyped for Ermac and found after awhile I was fucking amazing with Sonya, who I always hated and sucked with Ermac.

This is why I'm not stressing about the roster and who I'll end up maining. For all I know I'm going to get super hyped for Noob and end up being better with someone I truly don't give a shit about like Kano hahaha.