What's new

Steam database achievements - Roster speculation

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
I think you seriously underestimate the amount of people for whom Liu Kang, Kitana, Johnny Cage, Sonya, Kano, Shang Tsung, and Goro are faces of the game as well.
Sure, that's only my personal opinion. They also are faces of the series, no doubt. But not totally on the level of Scorpion/Sub/Raiden imo.
As said, it's not like I want these characters to never be in a game again. I just think more variety would be great. If some of these characters sat out only one game, it would make more room for other characters. It would be okay to give someone a break after 15 years, to bring back someone that hasn't been in a game for 10 years. I even think the characters could benefit from it and be more popular after being out for one game.

Last edited:

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Just saw someone post this on the sub-reddit:

CET: When you think of the letters ‘CET’, who possibly can come to mind? Why of course.....Central European Time. What does this have to do with a specific time zone if you ask? Well, let’s take a look at who comes from the European Time zone and one specific person to my own mind. Yes, it’s who you think it is: SMOKE. Yes, exactly! If you did your research properly, you’d find either on Wikipedia or his MK Wiki, he was originally raised within Prague, Czech Republic. Oh, and wait a minute. Wasn’t Smoke seen briefly hidden behind a Forest Tree from Mortal Kombat II? Smoke: Base Roster, DLC, or Secret Kharacter? We’ll have to see.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/comments/arvddj/youre_welcome_rmortalkombat/

Not that I believe it, but it's a fun and clever speculation, imo. :p

vapid

cyber warlord
I'd love Smoke on the base roster, but unfortunately I am not expecting it. I think Rain has better chances - although it's possible both could be in... though I doubt it.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
Scorpion, Sub and Raiden are the only ones that I think really should be in every game. They are the faces of the game and always popular.

I wish they'd give some of the other staples a break. Like Sonya, Johnny and Kano. That's not to say you can never have them again. But you could one in this game and the others in the next one, just to keep things fresh. In that sense, I'm kinda glad that we're not getting all of Ermac, Reptile and maybe even Mileena.

Don't get me wrong, I love all these characters. But some variety is important, otherwise we'd have the same roster in every game.
Yeah, but I would still choose Mileena, Reptile and Ermac above the likes of Cassie, Jacqui and Sonya, Too bad we are already stuck with those military characters...

vapid

cyber warlord
Yeah, but I would still choose Mileena, Reptile and Ermac above the likes of Cassie, Jacqui and Sonya, I hope everybody with a little sense of creativity thinks the same. Too bad we are already stuck with those military characters...
As soon as I saw they were bringing Sonya back again I knew the roster would be bad, and then when they quietly confirmed Kano (just a render, no trailer) I just felt things would be even worse.

We had the multi-generation family stuff in MKX - there's no reason to bring all these people back again. As much as I dislike Jacqui (her tedious, moody persona, her uninspired gameplay) I'd rather they'd brought back all four kombat kids and let the parents sit this one out. And I say that as someone who won't play as any of them.

I get that Sonya's an MK1 character but she's boring as fuck and a completely one-note personality. Nothing about her is interesting, fun or in any way unpredictable. I'm fine with NRS having Cassie take her place for a few games - they shouldn't both be in, and especially if Johnny's coming back (which he obviously will be).

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
As soon as I saw they were bringing Sonya back again I knew the roster would be bad, and then when they quietly confirmed Kano (just a render, no trailer) I just felt things would be even worse.

We had the multi-generation family stuff in MKX - there's no reason to bring all these people back again. As much as I dislike Jacqui (her tedious, moody persona, her uninspired gameplay) I'd rather they'd brought back all four kombat kids and let the parents sit this one out. And I say that as someone who won't play as any of them.

I get that Sonya's an MK1 character but she's boring as fuck and a completely one-note personality. Nothing about her is interesting, fun or in any way unpredictable. I'm fine with NRS having Cassie take her place for a few games - they shouldn't both be in, and especially if Johnny's coming back (which he obviously will be).
I guess were stuck with the Cage-SOAP again... Hope they play a minor role in the storymode though, wouldn't like to see the same mistakes which made the MKX storymode so cringe-worthy...

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
I was also surprised by that decision. It sometimes seems as if NRS doesn't really have a longterm plan for the story over several games.
MKX was the introduction of a new generation and the story mode was very much a passing of the torch from Johnny to Cassie. But instead of letting the new characters stand on their own in the next game, we get a time travel plot that's largely focussed on the old ones :D The jump from MK9 to X was similarly disconnected.

I personally don't mind the kids that much. Takeda is a great character imo, and I like Cassie's core design quite a bit. She just suffered from bad writing in the story in some instances. Jacqui is just a little boring and doesn't have much going for her. But they might improve her in this game and make her more interesting.

trufenix

bye felicia
Y'all hating on a pioneer in kick ass women in games because she's serious and determined. How are they flaws? I wonder why Jax doesn't get the same treatment when his -role- is so similar. I WONDER. Sonya is a classic and she's here to stay.
Jax was in MK2, and that game had no flaws. Sonya was not.

vapid

cyber warlord
So you like Jade?
She's alright. I'm more concerned with variety in the roster, and having people who've missed a game or two coming back. I don't like the same core group being shoehorned into every game, and especially when they're as boring as Sonya. I thought the kombat kids were pretty dull, but I'd rather have Cassie take Sonya's place for a game or two so that NRS can actually move the storyline forward. I don't want another Cage family soap opera game, but it seems that's what we're going to get.