What's new

Steam database achievements - Roster speculation

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
There's a couple of hints that point towards Shang. The fireball is one. He has also been referenced in Ermac's MKX outro and I believe at least one other. While these aren't canon, some are hints. One menu icon shows souls like he or Ermac use flying around. And there's literally a stage namend after him, plus I read that the Neathership is another one (don't have proof for that though). While none of that is confirmation, it's a lot of hints. Before the leaks I was relatively certain he woule be in. Kinda surprised he's not there (yet).
Oh yeah, I'm definitely expecting him to make the launch roster. You can't have an MK game without any evil sorcerers.

I'm just not jumping to the conclusion that skull fireball MUST mean Shang Tsung.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Maybe I missed it in the steam stuff, but has shang been confirmed anywhere yet?
Shang and Noob have indeed not been confirmed yet. They're inclusion on that roster is simply my belief that they will ultimately be revealed given their popularity.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Shang and Noob have indeed not been confirmed yet. They're inclusion on that roster is simply my belief that they will ultimately be revealed given their popularity.
There's still the possibility to have one as DLC. Especially Noob would be a strong selling point, similar to Red Hood in INJ2, who was heavily requested and relegated to first DLC.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I mean, until MKX the only character who had a heart laser was Hsu Hao, then NRS was like "oh by the way Kano always had one of these too, yoink!" And in gameplay, Shinnok got Shang's floor fireballs, Johnny got Noob's clones, and Kitana got Jade's... everything. So stranger things have happened.
But all of them were somehow different, in contrast the fireskull from dead Liu Kang looks exactly as those from Shang.
I just assumed it was a visual upgrade for his revenant form. Hopeful, though.
Could be, but the twist from Shang playing as Liu sounds more interesting :).

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
But all of them were somehow different, in contrast the fireskull from dead Liu Kang looks exactly as those from Shang.

Could be, but the twist from Shang playing as Liu sounds more interesting :).
Nothing would make me happier.

JDM

Noob
I'd argue the most noteworthy misses are Shang, Noob, Human Smoke and Rain. Those guys are very popular and if not present would be missing two games in a row (which is over a decade of MK history with these modern dev cycles). But, thankfully, at least two are likely in the base roster. And that's not to mention the DLC releases.

People are overblowing this issue. They expect the entire Trilogy cast to keep coming back and that's just an unrealistic expectation.
No reptile. No ermac. No robots in base again. None of the characters you named yet. No fujin, havik or any of the highly requested 3D characters besides Frost I guess. It's pretty disappointing tbh. Theres a lot of room for dlc to make this roster amazing but I'm pretty sick of nrs holding the most wanted for dlc

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
tbh
if NRS put DoomSlayer and Terminator (and maybe Robocop ?) im cool , they already kicked my Main Reptile , now its Kano , Kabal , Maybe Liu, Guest, Guest and Fingers cross for Rain ....

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Looking at the steam page, still nothing of this has been taken down. I don't believe it'll happen, but just imagine if they'd add even more around the same time of the game :D It's unthinkable that they aren't aware of it by now, but we were also surprised to see more after only Erron was there. So who knows? Maybe the achievements are added piece by piece, but the data is already in and can't be taken back/was already scanned? That would mean we'd likely see the full roster tonight.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Morning here :D, so I will dream with the SHA and NOO letters. (I'm expecting Rain too -he is in the menu- but he is not worth my dream :rolleyes:).
The reason I'm hoping for rain the most is that he already was DLC in 9, and Boon said they wouldn't really have the same characters as DLC twice. So the others are more likely there. IF there's secret characters, I see these going to Smoke or Noob as nods to the classic games. So base roster is my last hope for Rain, wheras Noob or Shang could still make it in another way more likely.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
My biggest mistake was falling in love with Tanya as a kid, both in lore, looks and gameplay.
So sad she's not popular enough to become a staple in the series.
At least I'll always have Sonya and at least one of the female ninjas. It seems my second/third favorite, Sindel, isn't as irreplaceable as I thought before.

No reptile. No ermac. No robots in base again. None of the characters you named yet. No fujin, havik or any of the highly requested 3D characters besides Frost I guess. It's pretty disappointing tbh. Theres a lot of room for dlc to make this roster amazing but I'm pretty sick of nrs holding the most wanted for dlc
I agree it's unfortunate that some aren't making the cut and that NRS will hold some hostage behind a paywall. But what I'm saying is that a lot of needless disappointment would be avoided if people stopped wishing their dream lineups made it into the game every time, because that's never going to happen for everyone.

Murilima

I criticize because I love!
Factually wrong! Everybody loves Meat! <3

If you say so. But stopping and thinking racionally, Meat is accutaly better than the "Teen Generation" or even D'vora. You know something did you convinced me, NH should bring Meat back to replace D'vora. You opened my eyes, Thank you sir.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
I agree it's unfortunate that some aren't making the cut and that NRS will hold some hostage behind a paywall. But what I'm saying is that a lot of needless disappointment would be avoided if people stopped wishing their dream lineups made it into the game every time, because that's never going to happen for everyone.
That's very true. Wishing for unrealistic dream rosters will result in dissapointment.

One thing to point out is that they more or less teased some favorites that are, as of now, not confirmed. With putting Rain in a menu icon and hinting Noob in the towers mode, they got their fans' hopes up. You can't really blame people for jumping on hints towards their favorites, would be kind of a dick move to do that and then leave them out.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Also, this is only 22 characters by my count (adding in Geras and Shao Kahn as I didn't see achievements for them). I highly doubt the game is gonna ship with only 22 characters.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Also, this is only 22 characters by my count (adding in Geras and Shao Kahn as I didn't see achievements for them). I highly doubt the game is gonna ship with only 22 characters.
You can pretty much add Kitana as well. She was seen next to Liu Kang in the trailer, referenced in the Cassie intro that was in another one... and we pretty much knew she was in anyways.
Johnny was seen performing a fatality in the backround of a trailer. Could be a stage fatality or for DLC, but he still has a relatively good chance based on that.
So that's 23-24 out of 25-26, depending on if Shao Kahn is an extra slot or not.