What's new

Steam database achievements - Roster speculation

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
if anything it's QLOQ fault. At first they leaked Erron Black. Everyone on youtube reddit, twitter talked about it. They clearly saw that too (and nrs). And the day after they leaked everyone else the same way...
That's the only thing I can't get my head around. Mistakes happen, so I understand the first leak. But I have a hard time believing no one at NRS noticed. And then, how do you not stop more things coming out from the same source a day later?

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
What they're doing is NOT working. The rosters of their games get leaked. Only an idiot does the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

They should reveal the characters names/mugshots from the start. And build from it for the rest of their campaigns. Hope they're not idiots and do learn from mistakes.

Then Ketchup won't be spoiled on YT. :) You can't blame a youtuber for spreading relevant info. If you're afraid of wolves, don't go to the woods.
I'm split on that. Theoretically, I'd want to get hyped by reveals. In an ideal world, I would watch a kombat kast each weak and lose my mind over a reveal of a favorite that I didn't see coming.

You got a point though, you have to accept the environment you work in. And you can't really blame anyone for spreading the leaks once they were out. It's not like someone hacked their servers or anything, they (or their business partner) screwed up and put the data out there. You can't really get mad at people for reading it when you're the one that let it slip.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
I really thought Fujin, Noob Saibot, Rain and Shang tsung will be in it. There's still hope though. Maybe the remaining 3 rosters is those three I just mentioned. Another theory I have is since there was only 17 stages in Mk11 and now 21, makes me believe there will be few more slots added to the character roster.
My big hope are the secret characters teased by Paolo Garcia. Someone like Noob could be a prime candidate for that. It would be insane if we got like Noob and Smoke as secret unlockables on top of the base roster. But I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

Might-Taro 19

by each death, we learn more..
My big hope are the secret characters teased by Paolo Garcia. Someone like Noob could be a prime candidate for that. It would be insane if we got like Noob and Smoke as secret unlockables on top of the base roster. But I don't want to get my hopes up too much.
ill place myself in this belief for now.

Roster count isn't official. We will be getting Kitana, Noob, Fujin, Rain, and Shang Tsung

27 characters, and 21 stages.

SenSx

Noob
Best avatar ever Chuckyscookie.
I'm watching it every day to keep hope.

Roster count isn't official. We will be getting Kitana, Noob, Fujin, Rain, and Shang Tsung

That would be the best scenario ever.
I wish we'd get another update from the Steam leak thing.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
but leaks have become even more annoying because of YT and if you are someone who wants to avoid leaks, well it's practically impossible.
If you want to avoid leaks, you have to live in the woods or something, with zero access to the internet.

The most annoying thing about leaks is, that even if you try to avoid boards or something like that, you never know which gaming site (you're subscribed to) might upload a video about the leak with a couple of leaked infos in the title of the video. You just read that, without realizing what you're doing and at that point the damage has been done.

I remember a couple of years ago... I was watching some random video on Youtube... No idea what it was... Puppies licking peanut butter or some shit like that. In any case, I found it adorable and wanted to check out the comments to see, if others found it adorable as well:

"quicksilver dies"

WHAT? FUCK! I HAVEN'T SEEN "AGE OF ULTRON" YET, YOU GOD DAMN..!!! That's like two words, you read in an instant. There is no CTRL+Z for that.

Heh...

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.

I don't think Kitana is one you have to worry about though :D She was in some trailers and is referenced in the Cassie round intro we heard.

Might-Taro 19

by each death, we learn more..
I don't think Kitana is one you have to worry about though :D She was in some trailers and is referenced in the Cassie round intro we heard.
Lol worried? I want nothing to do with her. I'm just saying the roster would make wayyy more sense if they make it 27 characters total and adding all that I mentioned.. but either way i'm grateful. I know that NRS will not let me down and no matter what I know i'll be enjoying the game a lot..

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
If you want to avoid leaks, you have to live in the woods or something, with zero access to the internet.

The most annoying thing about leaks is, that even if you try to avoid boards or something like that, you never know which gaming site (you're subscribed to) might upload a video about the leak with a couple of leaked infos in the title of the video. You just read that, without realizing what you're doing and at that point the damage has been done.

I remember a couple of years ago... I was watching some random video on Youtube... No idea what it was... Puppies licking peanut butter or some shit like that. In any case, I found it adorable and wanted to check out the comments to see, if others found it adorable as well:

"quicksilver dies"

WHAT? FUCK! I HAVEN'T SEEN "AGE OF ULTRON" YET, YOU GOD DAMN..!!! That's like two words, you read in an instant. There is no CTRL+Z for that.

Heh...
My God, I can relate. Sometimes people will write leaks on music videos it's so infuriating! Especially if an actor is in that video and they're currently in a tv show there will ALWAYS be leaks.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader

"quicksilver dies"

Heh...
Lol I remember some friends and I were playing Smash and on some wii stage all that was written was "Han Solo dies" happy we saw it the same night before playing Smash lol

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Sorry for everyone who is disappointed, but I'm 99% sure this is real.

But for everyone who is upset that their character hasn't made it yet or they feel some spots were "wasted" here are some thoughts -

I wouldn't be surprised if the roster ends up being larger than we have been expecting. Rain, Kitana, and Noob have been so heavily teased it would be strange for them not to show, but we haven't seen them in the achievement files yet. Kitana is particularly important given how MKX ended and MK11 starts, and Rain and Noob have been so demanded it would seem risky to tease em and not follow through.

There are still Kombat Pack characters to come. I know it sucks if your fav isn't in the main roster or story, but they can still show up later. I would not be surprised if MK11 had even longer legs than MKX and got additional KPs down the line.

No character is a waste and every character has fans. You can think in terms of popularity and "why give so and so a slot when X has so many more fans?" but personally I think that is a boring way to make a game. The devs should be put in characters they feel will make an entertaining and exciting game. Too many titles become slaves to tradition and that stunts growth. (If anything, I'm a little disappointed that this will be another time-travel game that dips back into the lore, I'd rather they moved things forward, but oh well.)

For Jacquie in particular, I think there are a lot of ways they could go with her to make her much cooler than she was in MKX. I mean, check that original concept art and think about what they could do with that and the gear system!

I doubt any of this was intentional. As many pointed out, the PC version and Steam data is handled by a different company, QLOQ. My best guess is that it's a simple mistake. QLOQ wasn't as careful as they should have been, NRS trusted in them handling it properly and therefore didn't take any countermeasures, anything along these lines. Someone just messed up.
This is no accident if these trophies were leaked. DIfferent company or not, they have a contract with WB/NRS to make to the PC port, and it doesn't give them the right to upload anything without the authorization or asking WB/NRS first what to upload or not. The company and its employees that makes the port have confidentiality clause to respect. And if you don't respect it, the company can lose your contract and the employees get fired. They respect it so much that none of the characters were leaked before the official announcement of the game. And let's imagine they didn't want to leak anything but had to upload the trophy informations, why did they chose this particular ID names ? They could have chosen :
"TROPHY_ID_PERFORM_2_FATALITIES_WITH_KOTAL_KAHN" but no they didn't.
Or they could have chosen
"TROPHY_ID_PERFORM_2_FATALITIES_WITH_23" : Their trophy information is uploaded and do not give any clue about what "23" refers, but the developpers would know that Kotal Kahn is represented by that number.
But no, instead they chose :
"TROPHY_ID_PERFORM_2_FATALITIES_WITH_KOT" : This is enough to give an information without saying it explicitly.

If you still think that someone messed up, why would have they release the first trophy with "[...] WITH_ERR", with people pointing it on every forum and say "OMG Erron is back" and on the very next day they'd release an extra 5 or 6 trophies ID that gives that many hints. My personnal thought about this is that they tested how the Erron hint would go, and how people would react to it, then they saw the results and they released the trophies.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, Skarlet, Baraka, Kabal, Erron Black, Shao Kahn, Kano, D'vorah, Kotal Kahn, Jade, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Kitana... More than half of the roster that i like... but i am the lucky one.. Looks like all steam leaks are true.. BUT THIS IS THE WORST WAY TO TEASE US ALL... this is the real BUMMER.. and animalities are back??? HUGE SUPRISE....

Agilaz

It has begun
For Jacquie in particular, I think there are a lot of ways they could go with her to make her much cooler than she was in MKX. I mean, check that original concept art and think about what they could do with that and the gear system!
Then they should design a new character altogether. Jacqui was beyond saving, her redesign would have to be so radically different that she may as well be an entirely new character.

Almost every character can be summed up in a few lines that encompasses what their special skills or abilities are, and they should become instantly recognizable.

Example:

He's a ninja, uses a kunai, and is able to fight with the powers of hellfire. You know it's Scorpion.

He's big and bulky, military and has cybernetic/metal arms which he uses to fight with. Jax of course.

He's a sorcerer, one who is very adept at stealing souls and absorbing their power, effectively morphing into other fighters. Shang, right?

Now what does Jacqui have?

She's a female soldier. Sonya? Nope, she's young. And she fires guns. Cassie? No. No, she's black too.

OOOOOH YOU MEANT JACQUI.

She has nothing going for her. Cassie has the wit. The other Kombat Kids all had something that made them unique: Takeda's whips, Kung Jin's staff/longbow, hell even Cassie offered more variety.

Jacqui should be an NPC at best. She only existed in MKX to justify Jax, and to force some romantic subplot with Takeda (wtf?)

Thracian_Priest

The troll awakens...
Looks like all steam leaks are true.. BUT THIS IS THE WORST WAY TO TEASE US ALL... this is the real BUMMER..
Some people don't like being "teased" (trolled). I'm one of them.

The recent steam leaks are a second Reveal day for me. QLOC are my heroes. Hope they don't get penalized for doing what NRS/WB should have done from the get-go.

For people wondering why the leaks weren't stopped, I doubt it's as simple as people are saying. It could be the achievements were part of some scheduled database upload and the people responsible just had it running as anticipated. Perhaps the way the data was uploaded was automated and the people behind adding that stuff didn't see the actual content (nor would it necessarily be part of their job). Ignorant I know where important info is concerned, but perhaps that's what happened?

As for the roster, it's shaping up to be better than MKX for me so far. I am salty there's no sign of Smoke or Noob yet but that can change with DLC I guess, or secret unlockables.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
Speaking of Achievements...Collect 200 pieces of gear??? Do you think that's for just one character? :confused:

Skarlet, Sonya, Cassie, Jade, Frost, Jacqui, D'vorah
+ Kitana 99%
and it's highly likely one of the new "KOL, CET, TER" is female.
That's 9 female characters.
MKX had 6 in the base roster + Ferra
Excluding Armageddon, that's by far the most female characters in an MK game yet. Including Armageddon, it's still the highest proportion. Cool stuff, though I'm a bit sad that Mileena isn't a part of the lineup (yet).