What's new

Match Footage - Sonya Blade Sonya Blade Battle Footage Thread

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Lol, I thought it was so trolly so I couldn't resist clowning and it got me the win XD! Who else do you play? I'll see if I can get more matches against Goro players using Sonya and maybe I use someone else you use.
Only other char I use is Kano. Cyber & a not so good Commando

I feel like the name of the game with demolitions is actually saving meter, so when she inevitably does run out of grenades, you can carpet bomb the opponent into submission. Literally, a drone launching 3 grenades at once basically turns the entire stage into freaking 'Nam.

I guess what I've been doing wrong was trying to find specific setups for her EX drone, and I'm sure there are- but even without specific setups it's godlike. And a Demolitions Sonya who has two bars of meter, but is out of grenades- is something very dangerous indeed.

I think this is a very good variation to complement Covert Ops, I'm eager to start on Droneya soon to finish the trifecta of Sonya's variations :)

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
Matches from our Weekly Ranbats. Winners and Grandfinals vs EMPR Warchild.

If you like Sonya there will be TONS of Sonya on this channel, as This is our official Tampa Kombat Channel.

@SidTheHaze
@FCP/EMP SCAR
@Anbu
@Espio
@lslick
@Denzell
@jmt
I only saw a min of the first video due to me having to leave for work in a few mins. Definitely going to watch these when I get home. I will say this, I respect the d3~MS option and then doing just d3 alone so you can condition the cassie to not expect the B1 overhead :D

jmt

Noob
@AoK Ryan

Loved watching it because Cassie gives me fits. Blocking her up close is tough. Sonya was on point. Thanks for uploading them. Vids like these help me level up.

chores

bad at things
Matches from our Weekly Ranbats. Winners and Grandfinals vs EMPR Warchild.

If you like Sonya there will be TONS of Sonya on this channel, as This is our official Tampa Kombat Channel.

@SidTheHaze
@FCP/EMP SCAR
@Anbu
@Espio
@lslick
@Denzell
@jmt

good stuff. any reason why you prefer the 2134 splat for a midscreen ender? i feel like ms1 gives the best wakeup timing and 21u4 gives the most corner carry. do you disagree? not criticizing, just curious if there is something i dont know

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
good stuff. any reason why you prefer the 2134 splat for a midscreen ender? i feel like ms1 gives the best wakeup timing and 21u4 gives the most corner carry. do you disagree? not criticizing, just curious if there is something i dont know
I mix it up, It keeps me in a different mid set all of the time, so my opponent also sees something different.

Death

Noob
this is all i could find of death's sonya in the VODs from Toryuken pools

http://www.twitch.tv/torontotoptiers2/v/5109183 20:50 Death (Sonya cov ops) vs WinterWarz (KL buzz)
http://www.twitch.tv/torontotoptiers2/v/5108644 9:25 Death (Sonya cov ops) vs Roberto (Jax pumped)
Here is also a pools match vs pimpimjim. http://www.twitch.tv/torontotoptiers2/v/5103739 @ 02:03:00 mark

Vs Jeremiah @ 12:00
Vs HoneyBee @ 01:06:00
Vs Pimpimjim @ 01:16:00

Any critique out there sonya mains? I gotta get better with her

Last edited:

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Here is also a pools match vs pimpimjim. http://www.twitch.tv/torontotoptiers2/v/5103739 @ 02:03:00 mark

Slow it down sometimes, this is something I need to do also. We both did it when we played Cage in MK9 even in our mirror matches, sometimes we just have to sit back and let the opponent make the mistake.

Also I noticed Sonya players do not like to Throw alot, which I think is going to make her better because they have to respect all of my options.

Death

Noob
Slow it down sometimes, this is something I need to do also. We both did it when we played Cage in MK9 even in our mirror matches, sometimes we just have to sit back and let the opponent make the mistake.

Also I noticed Sonya players do not like to Throw alot, which I think is going to make her better because they have to respect all of my options.
I agree. We should mix up with throw more or even stagger them with 1, 12 than go low or overhead just to keep them guessing. Even though the 1 is high the opponent will be scared of the mixups you could catch them blocking or even pausing after a 1 than go low. More unpredictability is key. Low poke into parry or MS should be utilized more at least by me. I'm Diving into SF sonya so maybe getting good fundamentals with that variant will carry over

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I agree. We should mix up with throw more or even stagger them with 1, 12 than go low or overhead just to keep them guessing. Even though the 1 is high the opponent will be scared of the mixups you could catch them blocking or even pausing after a 1 than go low. More unpredictability is key. Low poke into parry or MS should be utilized more at least by me. I'm Diving into SF sonya so maybe getting good fundamentals with that variant will carry over
Exactly what I am doing lol. Here are some my matches last night vs @HoneyBee, he bodied me to say the least.

Last edited:

lslick

Throw is a hella good option since they are so worried by her 11-12 overhead. I think its that fast lol. Also spacing out your B12 against an opponent who likes to armor through your blockstring gaps are good too. If you time B1 to hit towards the end of the of it's hitbox, the string loses it's gap. Someone mentioned it in the general discussion thread a while back and I tested it on the AI and actual human and they couldn't armor through it. I dont see people use this often but just cancelling B1 into MS right away is pretty good if you condition your opponent that you are going to do B14 into MS since you know they are going to crouch block.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Throw is a hella good option since they are so worried by her 11-12 overhead. I think its that fast lol. Also spacing out your B12 against an opponent who likes to armor through your blockstring gaps are good too. If you time B1 to hit towards the end of the of it's hitbox, the string loses it's gap. Someone mentioned it in the general discussion thread a while back and I tested it on the AI and actual human and they couldn't armor through it. I dont see people use this often but just cancelling B1 into MS right away is pretty good if you condition your opponent that you are going to do B14 into MS since you know they are going to crouch block.
Yeah, I read something on that. Could you make a video demonstrating that for me? Also I have been trying to add the B1 MS into my game more. Just gonna take some time.

lslick

Yeah, I read something on that. Could you make a video demonstrating that for me? Also I have been trying to add the B1 MS into my game more. Just gonna take some time.
I'll post a video on it using the dummy after I comment on your video with Honeybee :D

lslick

Exactly what I am doing lol. Here are some my matches last night vs @HoneyBee, he bodied me to say the least.

Some notes I took from your match with Honeybee. I completely understand you are playing online so punishing somethings will not work cause it's online unfortunately. But I'm going to mention it anyways in case you run into dvorah offline or in a tournament.

1. If you ever see Dvorah cancel her string into regular puddle, you should try to neutral jump before the puddle's hitbox comes out. @HoneyBee mentioned it in one of his videos that you get a free punish for it every single time. So I would work on that. I also believe that armoring through it works since it's only one hit. You can backdash in that situation iirc. Regardless, you should neutral jump or even jump back and dive kick would work.

2. This one is a bit more riskier since you are committing to a read, but if you read that Dvorah will cancel her F44, 212, F11 into Bug Spray, you can armor inbetween the cancel. We don't get a combo for using the meter unfortunately. But it's an option to get out of that situation which is better than nothing. IIRC, she has no gap if she does F112 into ex Bug Spray but you can punish it free if you block the entire thing.

3. She has a gap between her 212 string inbetween the 2nd and 3rd hit. Unfortunately from my testing, Sonya can't do shit inbetween it lol. If she does ex arc kick, she flies over Dvorah not hitting her. If she does ex leg grab, she whiffs entirely. If she regular parry, she will get slapped for trying that. If she ex parry, she will get slapped just like how she gets slapped for regular parry lol. If you really think that she is going to do the last hit of the string, you can xray through it since it starts up at frame 1.

4. This piggybacks off of #3. But you can punish regular bug spray on block.

5. D4 into puddle isn't a combo so if you get hit by the d4, you can block the puddle. The puddle is +20ish on block so you really don't want to put in that situation. Like I mentioned earlier, armor through it or neutral/jump back dive kick.

6. In Swarm Queen, she gets FBC. They aren't guaranteed if she does them on block, so you can definitely interrupt her if she decides to do it.

This is a video that @HoneyBee posted on TYM about a week ago. Definitely helps understand the MU a bit better.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Some notes I took from your match with Honeybee. I completely understand you are playing online so punishing somethings will not work cause it's online unfortunately. But I'm going to mention it anyways in case you run into dvorah offline or in a tournament.

1. If you ever see Dvorah cancel her string into regular puddle, you should try to neutral jump before the puddle's hitbox comes out. @HoneyBee mentioned it in one of his videos that you get a free punish for it every single time. So I would work on that. I also believe that armoring through it works since it's only one hit. You can backdash in that situation iirc. Regardless, you should neutral jump or even jump back and dive kick would work.

2. This one is a bit more riskier since you are committing to a read, but if you read that Dvorah will cancel her F44, 212, F11 into Bug Spray, you can armor inbetween the cancel. We don't get a combo for using the meter unfortunately. But it's an option to get out of that situation which is better than nothing. IIRC, she has no gap if she does F112 into ex Bug Spray but you can punish it free if you block the entire thing.

3. She has a gap between her 212 string inbetween the 2nd and 3rd hit. Unfortunately from my testing, Sonya can't do shit inbetween it lol. If she does ex arc kick, she flies over Dvorah not hitting her. If she does ex leg grab, she whiffs entirely. If she regular parry, she will get slapped for trying that. If she ex parry, she will get slapped just like how she gets slapped for regular parry lol. If you really think that she is going to do the last hit of the string, you can xray through it since it starts up at frame 1.

4. This piggybacks off of #3. But you can punish regular bug spray on block.

5. D4 into puddle isn't a combo so if you get hit by the d4, you can block the puddle. The puddle is +20ish on block so you really don't want to put in that situation. Like I mentioned earlier, armor through it or neutral/jump back dive kick.

6. In Swarm Queen, she gets FBC. They aren't guaranteed if she does them on block, so you can definitely interrupt her if she decides to do it.

This is a video that @HoneyBee posted on TYM about a week ago. Definitely helps understand the MU a bit better.

Everything you mentioned, I actually know how to do, Just have not played a D'vorah that good yet and it was quite the learning experience. I just need to get more familiar with the character in general, I had a few good reads but not enough to win the match. D'Vorah is an amazing character and I called it since day 1.

Playing Honeybee really makes me want to learn this character, her pokes alone are amazing.

lslick

Everything you mentioned, I actually know how to do, Just have not played a D'vorah that good yet and it was quite the learning experience. I just need to get more familiar with the character in general, I had a few good reads but not enough to win the match. D'Vorah is an amazing character and I called it since day 1.

Playing Honeybee really makes me want to learn this character, her pokes alone are amazing.
I understand :D...I just picked up Dvorah yesterday as a secondary but I'm liking BroodMother with Venomous 2nd :D

lslick

Here is the video you wanted to post

chores

bad at things

My only critique is your midscreen j1 air-to-air conversions should be doing more damage. Even at the longest range you can still get a f2b1 for 18% and a close hkd. I think you were doing 14% most times I saw and not doing 21u3 for the corner carry.