What's new

Match Footage - Sonya Blade Sonya Blade Battle Footage Thread

Anbu

AnbuSasukePro/KHAOTIC_ANBUx
midscreen, 21 21 cmd throw is the online ender that I use as well, but there more damage in using a run IIRC. In the corner, I would rather end combos in command grab than get an extra 1% from the 124, but that's just me. The command grab makes it so that even if they delayed wakeup the b1, they'll stand up into the 4 and b33 will be completely meaty and blow through a lot of armor moves.

Other than that the corner combos were pretty cool, I wouldn't have even thought to do the f3 or whatever the kick was haha.
Thanks for the tips, I will definitely be incorporating the command grab in the corner into my game. Just curious what can you do for more damage midscreen? I have been trying to get more damage mid screen while also ending with a good a knockdown but can't seem to figure out how.

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
this is grand finals of the tourney, i was in losers. I got put in losers by mr aquaman while using covert ops so i switched to special forces
So I watched about half of this match and I have to say is we are so fortunate to have homing missile break throws for us so we dont have to guess to break them lol

Dedlock

Noob
inspiring matches, although that Kotal Khan one was scary, I also had a match up with him and had no answers was embarrassingly pulverized.

@SidTheHaze very nice showing resetting the bracket vs cdjr, though there was some crucial mistakes like the dive kick into xray, and the breaker in the corner of the second to last match, also there was some crucial punishes u missed, I would like to see some more strings into MS stance on ur part, since she has so many more strings she can cancel out of then the standard, b14 and b33, she has a ton of options, also u rarely used her energy wave in the neutral, and ur throws were very limited, throws will have definitely conditioned him to be opened up more, other then that good stuff.

Reactions: jmt

jmt

Noob
Ok so I went to my first MKX tourney last night in Pompano, VSGC #3 that @Kitana Prime runs.
So here is my first match against obamanatti (big D's brother).

Keep in mind, my Sonya is very new, haven't put much time in with her at all. Maybe 30 matches online and a few hours in the lab. I know I missed a ton of stuff and I need to get my pressure going more instead of just getting overwhelmed. I just couldn't get going, maybe just being too nervous or whatever. Did get a nice x-ray at the end doe...!!!! ;)

@SidTheHaze
@FCP/EMP SCAR
@Anbu
@Espio
@lslick

Last edited:

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
@SidTheHaze very nice showing resetting the bracket vs cdjr, though there was some crucial mistakes like the dive kick into xray, and the breaker in the corner of the second to last match, also there was some crucial punishes u missed, I would like to see some more strings into MS stance on ur part, since she has so many more strings she can cancel out of then the standard, b14 and b33, she has a ton of options, also u rarely used her energy wave in the neutral, and ur throws were very limited, throws will have definitely conditioned him to be opened up more, other then that good stuff.
tldr; i got bodied :(

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
Ok so I went to my first MKX tourney last night in Pompano, VSGC #3 that @Kitana Prime runs.

Keep in mind, my Sonya is very new, haven't put much time in with her at all. Maybe 30 matches online and a few hours in the lab. I know I missed a ton of stuff and I need to get my pressure going more instead of just getting overwhelmed. I just couldn't get going, maybe just being too nervous or whatever. Did get a nice x-ray at the end doe...!!!! ;)

@SidTheHaze
@FCP/EMP SCAR
@Anbu
@Espio
@lslick
Some things I want to mention:
1. I like how you tried to space using F2. It's a really good move for poking, covers good range and is neutral on block.

2. I like that you woke up with ex leg grab to put Jax into the corner so you can start pressure. I think presonally though instead of using 111, I would have done 121 instead so that I cancel into MS on block vs 111 which pushes you back a pretty good distance. Granted being safe and having distance is not a bad option since you can see how your opponent reacts to those types of situations.

3. You went for a little too many parries at the start of the video when the match was going on. The way I use them is in one of two situations. The first one is off a knockdown. If the opponent doesn't have a low hitting wakeup options and you know your opponent loves to wakeup with an armored move, you can throw it out then. The second one is off a pressure situation. And it's based off conditioning my opponent after a few rounds or a match for that matter. If I put them into a situation they don't want to deal with and they love to press buttons, you can throw it out then too. Again, these are read situations so chances are your opponent either does it or not.

4. I feel like you went for too many F2B3. That a pretty big risk to take considering that the string is -11. If they block it, they can punish you pretty free. And the most you get off of it on hit is a knockdown. At least if you cancelled F2 into MS, you can get a mixup off of it. Granted if they block the mixup, you are still going to get punished for it. But you are adding on a layer of mixup potential if you go that route.

5. Get used to Jax's pressure game. He really abused F212 against you which unfortunately is safe from your punishment game. F21 is 0 on block and F212 is -4. So you have to become acquainted with his options after that point. I know that superman punch is a high so you can duck under it. But that might not be the best option for you.

I completely understand that you tried your best given that you only played with her only for a short time. I would suggest sticking to one variation so you can learn the ins and outs of it instead of playing two of them. Looking forward to seeing you improve :D :D :D

Reactions: jmt

Espio

Kokomo
I'm pretty much committing to focusing on Special Forces, I really enjoy this variant so much more now that I've gotten a better handle of the game and Sonya in general. I've been trying to use a lot of her neutral strings and normals more to set up counterpoke attempts by the opponent to blow up with her jump back dive kick option and to help create more tick throws and drone calls. I like to focus a lot more on spacing due to her bigger damage coming from comboing into the drone and it being more situation based to combo her 50/50's.

This set is interesting because we both play Sonya and Goro so you get to see it from both sides. I'm using Special Forces in part one, he uses Covert Ops in part 2.

More Special Forces Sonya against a fellow Michigan player using Sub-Zero (Twitch/PS4 has some issues during the ending of part one so it freezes, but part two doesn't have said issues).

McDrizzle 1

McDrizzle 2 (Sonya matches begin again after Goro/Cassie at 29:22)

@SidTheHaze

@FCP/EMP SCAR
@Anbu
@Espio
@lslick

A couple thoughts as I watched this: The parrying was unnecessary as you did it without conditioning him to counterpoke ever so it was a waste of time/bar. forward 2 is a good footsie tool, but not sure how I feel about the full string as that one is FCP, you'd be better off doing forward 2 and canceling into MS low or grab instead because while those options are also unsafe, at least there's a mix up in it.

That x-ray parry in the second match was awesome lol.

I have no idea how to fight Jax, I have fought zero so far, but you seemed to go from being super antsy with jumps and movement to blocking too much and being overly respectful at some points. I dunno, but maybe more spacing and neutral will help out a lot, figuring out the ranges on his best options and what not.

My advice in the future since you were new to using her and I'm assuming Covert ops was your main variant to stick with that one. If you were more comfortable with multiple variants, then it would be different to switch.

Last edited:

jmt

Noob
Some things I want to mention:
*snip*

I completely understand that you tried your best given that you only played with her only for a short time. I would suggest sticking to one variation so you can learn the ins and outs of it instead of playing two of them. Looking forward to seeing you improve :D :D :D
Great input man, thank you. Everything you said is stuff that I need to hear.
Will take all of it and try to adjust. First time playing against a Jax, so yeah, I couldn't figure it out in time.
Thanks for taking the time to list your thoughts on it.

jmt

Noob
I have no idea how to fight Jax, I have fought zero so far, but you seemed to go from being super antsy with jumps and movement to blocking too much and being overly respectful at some points. I dunno, but maybe more spacing and neutral will help out a lot, figuring out the ranges on his best options and what not.

My advice in the future since you were new to using her and I'm assuming Covert ops was your main variant to stick with that one. If you were more comfortable with multiple variants, then it would be different to switch.
100% right on both parts. I was so defensive and just getting poked at non stop and couldn't get my offense going. And yes, Covert Ops is/was my main variation, put almost no time in with special forces, but I need to put some time in with it based on seeing you and the other guys videos.

Thanks for input. Much appreciated.

tldr; i got bodied :(
Whatever dude, you killed it. CD is a beast. You just let him in your head at the last set.

Jax got some frames though

I think espio is on to something. C-Ops is really good, but it's biggest problems seem to be getting zoned by sub, quan, etc., and if you don't at least get a block string to connect with b1/b33 then you fizzle at neg. Frames and don't even go into stance, which is a shit the bed feel against a good Jax, Jin or lao.

I
Starting to think it's her best variation.

Last edited:

Dedlock

Noob
My covert ops Sonya vs a really good grandmaster Subzero. I was dropping stuff left and right but I guess that's to be expected online.

Thanks Anbu needed help with covert ops sonya against Grand Master Sub-Zero, I'm just too much rush and careless, and he obliterates me and throwing the clone is something I absolutely hate. one thing I got is you have to use Ex arc kick and Ex energy rings on Grand Master Sub Zero to give you more chances to get in there.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
@Espio LOL at the end of the Goro vs. Sonya match you uploaded with that stomp fake out. I enjoyed the watch because for some reason I have issues vs. Goro with my chars.

Espio

Kokomo
@Espio LOL at the end of the Goro vs. Sonya match you uploaded with that stomp fake out. I enjoyed the watch because for some reason I have issues vs. Goro with my chars.
Lol, I thought it was so trolly so I couldn't resist clowning and it got me the win XD! Who else do you play? I'll see if I can get more matches against Goro players using Sonya and maybe I use someone else you use.