What's new

Sonic Fox's criticism of Mortal Kombat 11

In in the classic Skarlet bnb 212 212 44 ender (either blood tentacle, cell siphon or boiling point), Skarlet can be breakaway punished multiple times.
It's been a long time since I labbed it, so I'll say she can be punished twice for sure :
212 212 (breakaway while 44 has just been inputed) 44
212 212 44 (breakaway while the second hit of 44 connects and the ender has already be inputed) ender

And if I remember my lab, with a well timed breakaway between the second 1 and 2 of the second 212 can also lead to a breakaway punish
If the second 212 has been delayed too much, you don't even need to time the breakaway, it's an easy breakaway punish.

Also she can be breakaway punished with 124(breakaway) ender.

Also works on the corner combo b34 212 44 (breakaway) ender

If the opponent has labbed it, Skarlet is dead on hit

Breakaway needs to go. Or nerf it to hell

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Complexity of a character doesn't really equate to difficulty of use, though. Usually the 'simplest' characters require the strongest fundamentals. There's a reason why everybody isn't winning with Ryu in SF even though he's had the same 'simple' gameplan for basically his entire existence.

I don't mean this specifically about Joker, but I don't like this type of argument in general.
Although this is true, I made the argument specifically for the joker which we all know is not the case.. some characters have very simple easy to use strategies but the tools themselves are not that strong hence the characters ceiling is somewhat limited. This is absolutely not the case with the joker who has easy simple tools that are easy to execute in an extremely effective way that makes him a top 3 character.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
They should just remove break away and do Killer instinct style "Combo breakers".
Tbh, if they take out breakaways, might as well remove the combo breaker mechanic altogether, imo. Never have, and never will like combo breaker mechanics.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Tbh, if they take out breakaways, might as well remove the combo breaker mechanic altogether, imo. Never have, and never will like combo breaker mechanics.
Gotta keep something for the newer players, or them being decimated will make them not play thus discouraging them from mk as a whole, Y'know?

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
They could have taken the easier way out and played Johnny, Liu, or any of the other obvious picks, but they did it with a character that they fleshed out themself, and stuck with him.
Didnt Ninja beat Sonics Joker with Johnny in winners finals and then picked Liu against him in the grand finals? If I'm remembering that correctly I dont get why he did that

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Gotta keep something for the newer players, or them being decimated will make them not play thus discouraging them from mk as a whole, Y'know?
Breakaway isn't gonna keep newer players from getting discouraged. Combo breaker or no, the average new person isn't gonna be able to handle most upper mid and above players and other games don't have it. As long as you can do fun things and the game is accessible newer players will play and enjoy.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
You're right. Theres tons of other stupid things in this game will discourage newer players like slow as snails, unresponsive gameplay, unbalanced KBs and FBs, wake up system that don't work most of the time, unjustified grinding, Kombat league, 40 buck pricepoint for a little dlc, etc etc. I'm sure if breakaways don't turn them off chances are one of those other things will lol

They need at least change breakaway input . Cant even count how many times some random ass SZ online did slide and I swear i crouch blocked in time but nope , got hit by it and wasted 2 bars on accidental breaker . Happened in many other situations also . that was just example . FBs being death on block would be great too . But better just remove all aromor from it . Such scrubby mechanic .
This is true and also reminds me at times when I'm getting someone in mid combo and about to ex or amp my move only to accidentally grab a damn background interactive object Cornwall jump because the geniuses at NRS thought "hey I have a dumb idea that'll piss players off, let's ditch left trigger as interactable button and instead make Right bumper it the same move for amplifying moves so the character will automatically grab whatevers in the background while trying to do an amped version of a move....

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
What if you just changed it so when you use a breakaway, it resets the combo counter. That way if someone reads your breakaway and goes for a d2/FB they get significantly more damage (as it’s unscaled). It makes going for a breakaway much more risky and makes players hesitant to just gun for it.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Breakaway should simply keep the breaking player on the ground longer, and moves should be added that break armor. The mechanic will not be removed...NRS is not going to do that, and I've never heard of an FG developer removing a mechanic through a patch in the history of the genre. So asking for its removal is pretty silly. If it's that much of an issue (it's not...I literally rarely ever see the punish aspect come into effect in top/high level play, regardless of how insistent the community claims it is problematic), then those are the most logical solutions.

The only issue I personally see is the mechanic has no counterplay to it. And...that's literally it. Talks of characters having options to negate it is like...that's nothing new to the genre. It happens, whether it's intentionally designed as such or not. Breaker would not be better in the system...imagine dealing with characters you struggle to get in on instantly resetting things back to neutral using regenerative meter WITH NO OPTION TO STOP IT.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Breakaway should simply keep the breaking player on the ground longer, and moves should be added that break armor. The mechanic will not be removed...NRS is not going to do that, and I've never heard of an FG developer removing a mechanic through a patch in the history of the genre. So asking for its removal is pretty silly. If it's that much of an issue (it's not...I literally rarely ever see the punish aspect come into effect in top/high level play, regardless of how insistent the community claims it is problematic), then those are the most logical solutions.

The only issue I personally see is the mechanic has no counterplay to it. And...that's literally it. Talks of characters having options to negate it is like...that's nothing new to the genre. It happens, whether it's intentionally designed as such or not. Breaker would not be better in the system...imagine dealing with characters you struggle to get in on instantly resetting things back to neutral using regenerative meter WITH NO OPTION TO STOP IT.
No, because NRS could implement that the one who breaks is sliiightly minus. Mk9 had and it worked fine, Mk10 had it and it worked fine. Fox is right, breakaway rewards the player using it not the player attacking.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
No, because NRS could implement that the one who breaks is sliiightly minus. Mk9 had and it worked fine, Mk10 had it and it worked fine. Fox is right, breakaway rewards the player using it not the player attacking.
MK9 air breakers were + lol.

MKX breaker after the patch literally did what you're saying Fox stated about breakaway. It literally stripped your opponent of their resources, too, and would prevent them from being able to break if they got opened up during that stamina cooldown.

Breaker's inherent flaw is that lack of counterplay. And in those games (especially MK9), due to other factors like general meterless damage, and strength of meterless options, there were times where it could be used as basically the best metered option in the game.

Last edited:

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
MK9 air breakers were + lol.

MKX breaker after the patch literally did what you're saying Fox stated about breakaway. It literally stripped your opponent of their resources, too, and would prevent them from being able to break if they got opened up during that stamina cooldown.

Breaker's inherent flaw is that lack of counterplay. And in those games (especially MK9), due to other factors like general meterless damage, and strength of meterless options, there were times where it could be used as basically the best metered option in the game.
I dont think you read my post correctly man. Breakaways in most cases reward the one who breaks not the one attacking. Imaging doing a move thats alot of recovery and the opponent breaks during that move. You get punished. How is that any good for the one attacking? Unless you guys see every combo ending in d2.

xKMMx

Banned
I dont think you read my post correctly man. Breakaways in most cases reward the one who breaks not the one attacking. Imaging doing a move thats alot of recovery and the opponent breaks during that move. You get punished. How is that any good for the one attacking? Unless you guys see every combo ending in d2.
Exactly. This has gone both ways for me so obviously it fair that is an option. But it's ridiculous that anyone that works to get the hit should be worried that they may in turn end up getting punished for a full combo because their opponent broke away and jumped all of over them while they were still in recovery frames i've actually allowed myself to get hit so I could use breakaway to get a combo on opponents that are highly defensive. with Jacqui and Kb's loaded I can get 44 percent for getting hit LMAO. How is that smart game design?

xKMMx

Banned
It’s cuz originally op had it wrong, he had in his title that he wants more
No I understood ya man. I was just saying like who amongst us hasn't thought that was dumb AF since day one. Save for a few folks on here that would rather sell their soul than admit this game has GIANT flaws in its base mechanics.

xKMMx

Banned
Ahh I see yeah it’s insane don’t know what they were thinking
I hadn't played in months until yesterday and just wanted to get the feel for the game back for when the update drops to have a little fun with Friendships. Im really hoping this "Meta Change" that was announced yesterday is the thing that takes the game to a place I can truly enjoy it. Id love to love this game.

I hadn't played in months until yesterday and just wanted to get the feel for the game back for when the update drops to have a little fun with Friendships. Im really hoping this "Meta Change" that was announced yesterday is the thing that takes the game to a place I can truly enjoy it. Id love to love this game.
Naw I haven’t played in forever too, I also learned my lesson. Probably won’t touch the game again until I hear what everyone says about it at the very least

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
You're right. Theres tons of other stupid things in this game will discourage newer players like slow as snails, unresponsive gameplay, unbalanced KBs and FBs, wake up system that don't work most of the time, unjustified grinding, Kombat league, 40 buck pricepoint for a little dlc, etc etc. I'm sure if breakaways don't turn them off chances are one of those other things will lol

This is true and also reminds me at times when I'm getting someone in mid combo and about to ex or amp my move only to accidentally grab a damn background interactive object Cornwall jump because the geniuses at NRS thought "hey I have a dumb idea that'll piss players off, let's ditch left trigger as interactable button and instead make Right bumper it the same move for amplifying moves so the character will automatically grab whatevers in the background while trying to do an amped version of a move....
I've always wished the interactables should be mapped to stance switch & leave meter moves to a the meter buttons. Why in almost 10 years this has not been done is beyond me.

I've always wished the interactables should be mapped to stance switch & leave meter moves to a the meter buttons. Why in almost 10 years this has not been done is beyond me.
This happened because their original plan for amplify was unique inputs for each move that could be amplified, such as tapping the same button again after throwing a spear.
The feedback on this change led them to go back and implement an amplify button, so they had to overlap with something in order to not give the game an extra button macro since all of the buttons on the controller are occupied.

Why they chose to overlap with interact instead of stance flip is a good question though. I can't think of any situation where any of the 3+4 functions would conflict with amplify, and any of the special moves that use stance flip could just me moved to something else.
Amplifying an interactable would also make more sense since currently we have to press block to amp them which is counter intuitive.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Exactly. This has gone both ways for me so obviously it fair that is an option. But it's ridiculous that anyone that works to get the hit should be worried that they may in turn end up getting punished for a full combo because their opponent broke away and jumped all of over them while they were still in recovery frames i've actually allowed myself to get hit so I could use breakaway to get a combo on opponents that are highly defensive. with Jacqui and Kb's loaded I can get 44 percent for getting hit LMAO. How is that smart game design?
Its not a smart design. Thats what i was trying to explain to THTB. There is no other fg out there that punishes the attacker and rewards the attacked during a combo. Thats ridiculous and i really dont understand why certain people in the community are still trying to defend that, amongst other things.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Its not a smart design. Thats what i was trying to explain to THTB. There is no other fg out there that punishes the attacker and rewards the attacked during a combo. Thats ridiculous and i really dont understand why certain people in the community are still trying to defend that, amongst other things.
Injustice 2, Killer Instinct