What's new

Sonic Fox's criticism of Mortal Kombat 11

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I am performing a breakaway on Cherny's videos and threads to post about someone else's criticism of Mortal Kombat 11. According to Sonic Fox, the game is "godlike" because of its focus on neutral gameplay, but breakaway ought to be "deleted", fatal blows ought to have no push back on block, and u+2 ought to be disabled after flawless blocking. Please watch the YouTube video below for reference.

What do you think? What are the chances that Aftermath incorporates some of the community's constructive criticism of the game?

Last edited:
I think it's pretty normal for certain characters to have unbreakable damage, but they are right in mentioning about just how big of a difference there is between characters.

Breakaway needs to bring the match back to neutral especially with so many dial in combos. Those two things simply can't exist together in a competitive setting.

I think the chance of NRS developing brand new mechanics to replace old ones is very unlikely, however if it's just a matter of tinkering numbers or other variables of existing mechanics, I think there's a good chance.

Given their vow to support this game longer than previous ones, i hope i'm wrong.

SonBearku

#NerfRaiden
I agree that breakaway is stupid. I think u2's are fine the way they are. Fatal blows should have no pushback and be death on block. I would add that fatal blow should not have armor and be 1 and done. If its blocked, whiff, whatever. Its gone.

What would happen if the grounded recovery on breakaway was extended by a fair amount? Maybe the reset to oki is still enough to reward both sides - one limits the damage received but the other still gets to setup new pressure.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
There has to be some kind of breakaway... but he is right. Break away into full combo punish is exactly why it is the single most complained about mechanism in the game. I think his point is fair on that score. The "at most it should reset neutral" is about right.

Last edited:

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Everything they're saying is right. Breakaways are here to stay though so either give armor breakers or increase the recovery on it. When Chernyy said that defensive options are all loaded into when you've already started losing that was the wording that helped me realize what the issue was with them

Also on a secondary note I appreciate SonicFox is trying to cut through the bullshit and say the community has shitty attitudes and won't lab before asking for nerfs, it's pretty wack for them to also start beating down on low/mid level players for not being good at the game. That's like Lebron going to a pickup game in Sherman, Illinois, dunking on everyone, and saying "y'all are trash cuz you dont practice like I do." You're an intrinsically talented world class player who's had the luxury of playing in every major tournament and training with the best of the community on a daily basis, and it's your actual full time job.

Error404

Noob
The thing about breakaway is that it really can't "reset neutral" in it's current form. It's either getting you a punish or you're waisting 2 bars to get okied. They have tk basicly make it a breaker for it to reset neutral. I doubt they'll do it. I can see it getting a new input though.

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
easiest solution for the breakaway would be to interrupt the actuall combo/string you are doing while the opponent flips out or give you a little pushback so that they can fidle around with the +/-frames to balance it out. i would rather see em changing it then removing it completely.

about the damage difference between chars and when they can break away or not...thats not a easy task but you have to consider the whole toolset of a char not just raw combo damage. cetrion was a char he picked as a example for low damage but he didnt take into consideration the damage she can do with her keepaway tools vs someone like jackie which needs to go in and stay there. thats something which factors in into such decisions and yes, i know she doesnt has a hard time to go in on someone but thats a separate topic.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
I agree 100% with SonicFox. Its a stupid mechanic and they should change it. Make it so that you always have an extra delayed wake up after using breakaway.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
This game does not need break aways or breakers, you get punished, man up and take it.
Running away from combos it scrub design.

Sonic has been saying this since beta, if they didn't change then they won't do it now, worst thing is NRS is afraid of sonic pushing an agenda so they won't hear him, but he is right on break and fb tho.

SonBearku

#NerfRaiden
Everything they're saying is right. Breakaways are here to stay though so either give armor breakers or increase the recovery on it. When Chernyy said that defensive options are all loaded into when you've already started losing that was the wording that helped me realize what the issue was with them

Also on a secondary note I appreciate SonicFox is trying to cut through the bullshit and say the community has shitty attitudes and won't lab before asking for nerfs, it's pretty wack for them to also start beating down on low/mid level players for not being good at the game. That's like Lebron going to a pickup game in Sherman, Illinois, dunking on everyone, and saying "y'all are trash cuz you dont practice like I do." You're an intrinsically talented world class player who's had the luxury of playing in every major tournament and training with the best of the community on a daily basis, and it's your actual full time job.
I completely agree. Like we can't all sit in practice 10 hours a day.

Hot_DNA

Noob
I think it's pretty normal for certain characters to have unbreakable damage, but they are right in mentioning about just how big of a difference there is between characters.

Breakaway needs to bring the match back to neutral especially with so many dial in combos. Those two things simply can't exist together in a competitive setting.
I lost a match earlier due to dial in and my opponent breaking away

I think it's hard to know what exactly SonicFox is talking about because they so frantically jump from topic to topic, but I think one interpretation of what they're saying makes sense. It's also part of SF's personality, I think they kinda like to talk shit in a harmless way. But to use the Lebron analogy, it would be like him showing up at that pickup game and hearing everybody say shit like "they need to change the rules of basketball" or "those Nikes are broken, they need to ban them on the court".

I think what SF is saying is like "look, I've beat up on the best players in the world. When you call for buffs/nerfs for a character or changes to the game's core engine, you better be able to demonstrate to me why those elements of the game actually are the difference in why someone wins/loses unfairly. Otherwise, you just haven't played enough to realize why the game is that way." Like, everyone's a backseat MK11 dev, but not everyone has put in the work to really be able to understand what they're criticizing/defending.

maybe they could put in a mechanic where if you get your PUNISH (punish comes up on the screen) breakaway can not happened. if nrs/paulo doesn't listen to him then we've truly lost because he's the 1%.
He needs to chill with the “you nrs community” comments like he’s above or not part of it
he is above it though. he's the 1%
I'm sure the face of the community saying "if you dont play the game like I do then dont bother" wont be motivating to newer players that MK11 desperately needs
what? desperately needs? best selling fighter plus one of the best selling games of 2019. i don't think nrs is stressin over new players. and this isn't to defend mk11

Last edited: