What's new

Question Someone please explain...

Straightup: I firmly believe that its complete design oversight. I've talked about this before in other threads, but when you look at other characters and their end of round closeout tools the difference is night and day. I simply do not believe that a designer at NRS actually thought he needed this. For comparrisons sake, look at this list @Laos_boy compiled a while back:

NightWing
Gets 5 MB Wingdings + 1 regular winging = 35% and .8 of a bar
Gets 6 MB staff spins + 1 regular staff spin = 53% and .9 of a bar
Gets 4 MB ground blast + 1 reg Ground blast = 15%, a bar of meter, and more pressure

Batman
Gets 5 MB batarangs + 1 regular bat = 25% and .75 of a bar

Wonder Woman
Get 5 MB shield bashes + 1 reg Shield bash = 22% and .25 of a bar

Zatanna
Gets 1 MB Multi kicks = 10% and .6 bars
CAN get 6 MB multi kicks = 60% and .9 bars

Hawkgirl
Gets 5 MB Mace charges + 1 regular Mace Charge = 27% and .75 bars

Green Lantern
Get 5 MB Oa Rockets + 1 reg Oa Rockets = 22% and .3 bars

Lobo
1 MB trait Shots + 4 MB shots + 1 reg shot = 25% and .3 bars

Harley
Get 5 MB Cupcakes + Gun shot = 28% and .6 bars

Doomsday
Gets 5 MB shoulder charges + 1 Earthshakers = 24‰ and .25 of a bar

Sinestro
Gets with trait 5 MB fear blast + 1 fear blast = 33%

Skarlet
Gets 5 f2121+2 Ex Dagger cancels for 70%

Aquaman
Gets 1 MB Trident rush = 15% and a bar
CAN get 12 MB trident rushes = 180% and .5 of a bar ( LOL )

Seriously...just imagine for a second if Batman could do 12 MB batarangs in a row, or Doomsday could do 12 mb shouldercharges. Its insanity.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Straightup:

Seriously...just imagine for a second if Batman could do 12 MB batarangs in a row, or Doomsday could do 12 mb shouldercharges. Its insanity.
Aquaman isnt Batman or Doomsday though. And dont forget, the Trident Rush WAS nerfed long ago. If it wasnt intended, they probably would have nerfed it further.

Aquaman isnt Batman or Doomsday though. And dont forget, the Trident Rush WAS nerfed long ago. If it wasnt intended, they probably would have nerfed it further.
Fine, Aquaman isn't Batman or Doomsday. What makes trident rush and/or Aquaman so special that they need a special move that can be meterburned 12 freaking times with a fully stacked bar for 180% chip? Why, among all the cast, does he get to do that? How does it make sense from a design or balance standpoint? Sorry, but I refuse to believe its anything but an oversight on NRS' part and a mistake in how their system calculates meter build. I find the idea that this was part of someones design too horrifying to entertain.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Straightup: I firmly believe that its complete design oversight. I've talked about this before in other threads, but when you look at other characters and their end of round closeout tools the difference is night and day. I simply do not believe that a designer at NRS actually thought he needed this. For comparrisons sake, look at this list @Laos_boy compiled a while back:

NightWing
Gets 5 MB Wingdings + 1 regular winging = 35% and .8 of a bar
Gets 6 MB staff spins + 1 regular staff spin = 53% and .9 of a bar
Gets 4 MB ground blast + 1 reg Ground blast = 15%, a bar of meter, and more pressure

Batman
Gets 5 MB batarangs + 1 regular bat = 25% and .75 of a bar

Wonder Woman
Get 5 MB shield bashes + 1 reg Shield bash = 22% and .25 of a bar

Zatanna
Gets 1 MB Multi kicks = 10% and .6 bars
CAN get 6 MB multi kicks = 60% and .9 bars

Hawkgirl
Gets 5 MB Mace charges + 1 regular Mace Charge = 27% and .75 bars

Green Lantern
Get 5 MB Oa Rockets + 1 reg Oa Rockets = 22% and .3 bars

Lobo
1 MB trait Shots + 4 MB shots + 1 reg shot = 25% and .3 bars

Harley
Get 5 MB Cupcakes + Gun shot = 28% and .6 bars

Doomsday
Gets 5 MB shoulder charges + 1 Earthshakers = 24‰ and .25 of a bar

Sinestro
Gets with trait 5 MB fear blast + 1 fear blast = 33%

Skarlet
Gets 5 f2121+2 Ex Dagger cancels for 70%

Aquaman
Gets 1 MB Trident rush = 15% and a bar
CAN get 12 MB trident rushes = 180% and .5 of a bar ( LOL )

I would never lose if dd built meter like that

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Because you're losing a bar to just go back to getting out footsied badly.
Fair enough, I guess. Are people taking advantage of the minus frames after it's blocked? A lot of moves in the @Eric Z19 meter building comparison are plus and can be looped.

I would think it'd be worth it to spend the bar and prevent 15% damage or however much chip it does. I guess it depends on what your character needs meter for.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Fair enough, I guess.

I would think it'd be worth it to spend the bar and prevent 15% damage or however much chip it does. I guess it depends on what your character needs meter for.

Most need meter for damage and many need a bar for armor to have any chance against his footsies.

Plus after you block it he's super negative and even if you can't punish at least it's your turn to attack. From a Catwoman perspective post blocked Trident Rush is one of the few times in the neutral game I have that chance. Her options aren't even that good but at least it's something.

Fair enough, I guess. Are people taking advantage of the minus frames after it's blocked? A lot of moves in the @Eric Z19 meter building comparison are plus and can be looped.
The problem is that it pushes you back so far that some characters don't really have a lot of options. After a MB trident rush if he does it right he's outside of my D1 range, and If I F2 or J3 I am eating a D2. I can try and reversal singer, but even if I meterburn it and he doesn't block it I get a whopping 15%. Whoopie do.

how many times do we go through this?

There are things in this game that are waaaaay more overpowered. There are characters that actually require no footsies, no defense, and have automatic offense. Aquaman requires footsies and something that is a strange concept here... DEFENSE!

AK elitegoomba

http://www.twitch.tv/elitegoomba

There are things in this game that are waaaaay more overpowered. There are characters that actually require no footsies, no defense, and have automatic offense. Aquaman requires footsies and something that is a strange concept here... DEFENSE!
I would argue that because of his trait, Aquaman is one of the characters it's easiest to get away with having a shitty defense with...

The Highlander

There can be only one

While this is obviously true and the point has been rehashed again and again, I would argue that while having a defensive character means thinking and playing differently it doesn't mean that it isn't overpowered. Sure Aquaman isn't going to steamroll anybody with amazing set-ups or a vortex but what he does do is immediately stop every other characters momentum, and if that happens they're playing his game. One that he wins.