What's new

So... Why Did Zoning Suck in MKX?

Lokheit

Noob
I think if from day 1 zoning was at last patch's level there wouldn't have been such an outrage about it. Some might want even more but I think currently zoning is at a decent spot at least.

One of the things I've enjoyed the most about the emergence of players like the twins in the kombat cup is how good zoning characters like Pyro Tanya and Full Auto Jaquie are looking.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Run, full screen safe advancing mids with huge active frames, plus on block unreactble 50/50s, garbage anti airs, vortex, everything plus etc ect.
What this guy said and being punished/limited for backdashing=dumbest idea ever.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
What this guy said and being punished/limited for backdashing=dumbest idea ever.
You know what?

I'd have to look it up, but there is something called a "negative penalty" in some of the Arksys Anime games. If you back dash too much in a certain period of time, you get penalized by... taking more damage? Losing the ability to block? I don't remember... maybe one applied in BlazBlue, the other in Persona 4.

Now like I said, I'm no keep away monster. I like footsies and spacing but also, I want to transition between offense and defense throughout the match. I want to change gears. I'm 100% opposed to anything that penalizes you for backdashing and staying away and/or turtling. It oversimplifies FGs in my opinion.

All offense games are wayyy too limiting, so yeah, sod that.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
You know what?

I'd have to look it up, but there is something called a "negative penalty" in some of the Arksys Anime games. If you back dash too much in a certain period of time, you get penalized by... taking more damage? Losing the ability to block? I don't remember... maybe one applied in BlazBlue, the other in Persona 4.

Now like I said, I'm no keep away monster. I like footsies and spacing but also, I want to transition between offense and defense throughout the match. I want to change gears. I'm 100% opposed to anything that penalizes you for backdashing and staying away and/or turtling. It oversimplifies FGs in my opinion.

All offense games are wayyy too limiting, so yeah, sod that.
Exactly, once I saw that I was like ohh this game is totally anti zoning/turtling/defensive and pro offensive/rushdown/50/50 I mean, I don't hate offensive options for those kinds of players but when you catter one over the other it's a problem.

I'm not a huge fan of Personal and the other anime fighters, but that sounds kind of lame. It's like the fighting games that do that are forcing you to play a certain style and that's not right imo.

It's the main reason why I dropped MK X after a few months, it's fun but I'll always run with MK 9 more because you have a good mix of zoners, rushdown guys etc. MKX is pretty much "hey zoners and defensive players, screw you haha" Injustice 2 looks like a breath of fresh air, I just hope they make MK 11 zoning viable again too. Either kill the run option or make backdashing better, no penalizing etc

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
No zoner in any NRS game has ever been viable without also having strong utility in close quarters.
Freddy

This is why "Rush down Freddy" never worked. His game was to stay away and make you pay for getting in. His close-quarters toolset was mediocre at best.

It's because of this that a lot of NRS players think a "Zoner" is a character that only keeps you a mile away, rather than the archetypes like SF's Shoto or Sagat/Guile where you really have to think about each projectile you're throwing out and are constantly in footsie or jump-in danger range.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
It's very matchup based but it's a huge part of the game. Bo Rai Cho is a character known for being zoned out but even he will zone hard in some MU's like vs a lackey or another CQ character. If you play one of those characters with poor counter zoning options, you will have to deal with uphill zoning wars.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
It's very matchup based but it's a huge part of the game. Bo Rai Cho is a character known for being zoned out but even he will zone hard in some MU's like vs a lackey or another CQ character. If you play one of those characters with poor counter zoning options, you will have to deal with uphill zoning wars.
This is very, very true. For the whole duration of the game though those characters with poor counter zoning options have been trash for the most part, whereas the characters who combat zoning well have been top tier.

Again, for most of the games life the only characters who've been good zones have also had a very strong up-close game to combat these characters when they get up close, so you can't really count them as pure zoners. Zoning has been a thing for the whole of MKX's lifespan, it's just been greatly overshadowed by rush down making it so you hardly see any real zoning. So while it has technically existed it's been largely redundant.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
There is a pretty large amount of characters with teleports, slides, mobility options, some have moves that eat projectiles, long range normals, super long range jump normals, or a super fast run. Almost every singe character ticks a few of those boxes.

If HQT was in a game with slow movement like Injustice, he would be insane. It's not that the zoning tools are bad, it's just that the anti-zoning tools are way stronger than the zoning tools.

Noob
I think zoning is fine in this game. And I agree with most of the posts. People generally mix zoning and 100% keep away into the same thing, which I feel they aren't.

I feel the main reason most don't like the zoning in MKX is largely based on the opponents abilities to get. In games like SF you need to work a bit to get in. In MKX it is a lot easier to just ignore the zoning and go about your business. Which leads me to think that zoning would have been perceived as being better, if the players who wanted to zone did a better job at it instead of just planting themselves and tossing out projectiles. I have faced many good zoner's who put the effort in keeping me out. They mixed up the timing on their projectiles. And when I got in the were amazing at defending my advances and would set up something that lead to a hard knock down and then got away from me again and carried on. Zone playing in MKX is different to a lot of other games. I think most people just missed that.

Zoning doesn't suck in MKX. Don't try to bring back MK9 Kenshi or Injustice Zod lol. ONE SINGLE MOVE can literally rape 2/3 of the casts