What's new

So... Why Did Zoning Suck in MKX?

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
Since I'm new here, I wasn't around for the tears and Salty Suppers that MKX provided, and as a spectator, some of the problems of the game are shrouded in mystery for me. The big narrative I got, soon after I signed on, was that zoning wasn't a viable option in MKXL, and a lot of you are hoping that it will be, in Injustice 2.

Just looking at XL though, I can't tell why zoning was so bad. What killed it, exactly? Was it the 'Run" button option? Armored moves? Unsafe fireballs, w/ slow startup or recovery?

Predator seemed to do okay. Quan Chi Summoner could zone with bats, runes and skulls. Kitana didn't seem much changed from her MK9 days. Shinnok has his Hell Sparks, and Sektor looked decent. So what was the problem, exactly?

Let's say I'm a zoner, ok? (I'm not). Who's the best person to zone with in MKXL? Who's the worst?

P3irce

Noob
Since I'm new here, I wasn't around for the tears and Salty Suppers that MKX provided, and as a spectator, some of the problems of the game are shrouded in mystery for me. The big narrative I got, soon after I signed on, was that zoning wasn't a viable option in MKXL, and a lot of you are hoping that it will be, in Injustice 2.

Just looking at XL though, I can't tell why zoning was so bad. What killed it, exactly? Was it the 'Run" button option? Armored moves? Unsafe fireballs, w/ slow startup or recovery?

Predator seemed to do okay. Quan Chi Summoner could zone with bats, runes and skulls. Kitana didn't seem much changed from her MK9 days. Shinnok has his Hell Sparks, and Sektor looked decent. So what was the problem, exactly?

Let's say I'm a zoner, ok? (I'm not). Who's the best person to zone with in MKXL? Who's the worst?
run buttons def plays a roll with it but also think about how in pre-patch with armored launchers you could essentially blow up people who were zoning once you got into the correct range / prepatch safe 50-50's, run cancels, and + on block ex specials were just more effective

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
Well after the last patch zoning has become more viable but there's no way HQT is gonna go around zoning people all day. Zoners in this game typically have great offense as well (HQT, Summoner, Boneshaper, etc.) what kills zoning is the running, the screen size, the overwhelming offense this game is based around, and the lack of defensive options. If block breaker was 1 bar I think that would realllly help

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
It actually didn't suck.. and people that said it did just have it completely wrong. There is a number of completely viable zoning characters in MKx this is not something you can argue against.

That being said, MK in general and by extension MKx has always been and is still a hyper aggressive game, and this dose lend itself to more closer combat systems. So even the "top zoners" would have to get in at some point.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Pure zoning was ass. The best zoners in MKX were not dedicated zoners, they were hybrid characters with excellent rush down and zoning, with Sektor, HQT and Quan being prime examples, maybe even Reptile.
The most absurd thing about this all is that the hybrid characters actually were better zoners than the pure ones, Balanced Kenshi and Cyber Kano couldn't keep anyone out.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The problem with MKX was lacking of good universal defensive options in general, it was much easier to start an offense than defending yourself against one in most cases:
uber range on strings
massive low profiling
lightspeed runs
overpowered mindless priority jumps
shitty backdashes with shitty recovery binded into a stamina
useless pushblock mechanic

There things weren't adressed in the end of the game and remained somehow.

but there was still good zoners in the game

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
The contrast between Injustice and MKX didn't help aswell.
While you were able to herpa derp @ fullscreen in Injustice because of the limited movement in this game, you are not gonna do that in MKX cuz mechanic run lol.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
It also doesn't help that a lot of what NRS players want from zoning is full on 100% keep away an entire match, and anything else is unviable.
Oh, is that it? Maybe for some people, it's more of a "I don't want rushdown to be viable at all" situation. If so, poo on that. Yes, zoning should be there, 100%, but keepaway shouldn't be Free.

That said, a lot of you are saying "Run" was the problem. That's understandable.

The contrast between Injustice and MKX didn't help aswell.
While you were able to herpa derp @ fullscreen in Injustice because of the limited movement in this game, you are not gonna do that in MKX cuz mechanic run lol.
I just started playing IGAU ranked, in training for the sequel, and I had a few matches with Deathstroke, that were frustrating. I think part of the issue was my connection in some matches. I would still get hit by rifle shots in full crouch, when I should be blocking. Other than that though, the zoning was super good. He could MB rifle, with a grenade shot to force me to stand, and that would push me back.

I also know that jumping over rifle shots online is not a good idea. I'm not sure if anyone is Deathstroke level in MKX though.

Last edited:

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
No zoner in any NRS game has ever been viable without also having strong utility in close quarters. It's not just an MKX thing, equally, it's not correct to say nobody can zone in MKX either.

Now if we're talking sheer keepaway rather than controlling space/'zones' in MKX, yeah, that's never really materialized in MKX. The short answer to that is the run mechanic giving almost everybody universally good mobility.

Also can people stop entwining block breakers and Pushblock from Injustice together pls thx. You might aswell be asking for regular breakers to have wagers after using them.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Oh, is that it? Maybe for some people, it's more of a "I don't want rushdown to be viable at all" situation. If so, poo on that. Yes, zoning should be there, 100%, but keepaway shouldn't be Free.

That said, a lot of you are saying "Run" was the problem. That's understandable.

I just started playing IGAU ranked, in training for the sequel, and I had a few matches with Deathstroke, that were frustrating. I think part of the issue was my connection in some matches. I would still get hit by rifle shots in full crouch, when I should be blocking. Other than that though, the zoning was super good. He could MB rifle, with a grenade shot to force me to stand, and that would push me back.

I also know that jumping over rifle shots online is not a good idea. I'm not sure if anyone is Deathstroke level in MKX though.
Delete this post before m2dave hunts you down

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Well after the last patch zoning has become more viable but there's no way HQT is gonna go around zoning people all day. Zoners in this game typically have great offense as well (HQT, Summoner, Boneshaper, etc.) what kills zoning is the running, the screen size, the overwhelming offense this game is based around, and the lack of defensive options. If block breaker was 1 bar I think that would realllly help
I'm Leatherface. Zoning is viable now. Go nuts.

omooba

fear the moobs
i don't think it's that zoning sucks. it's just zoning isn't good enough to carry a character and i didn't think that was a problem but most people do

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
There's a lot of truth and a lot of BS been said in this thread already.

From someone who's mained Quan for 3/4 of the games life the 3 main problems which prevent the pure zoning archetype from properly materialising are:

1. Obviously, the run button. This allows any character to make it to almost fullscreen distance, depending on your character, for making one right read. Then they're right in their strongest part of the screen and you're playing their game.

2. Backwards movement only being 'meh'. Back dashes on a lot of characters are actually very good, Quan included. It's just when you compare this to running it obviously falls short as a mobility option.

3. The various advancing strings which are absolutely insane. These strings are usually given to the most dominant characters too so despite about 1/2 of the cast had a stupid advancing move to get in from half-screen, those were the only characters you ever saw so it didn't matter if you could keep the other characters out.

Honorable mentions: Screen size being so small, lots of counter zoning tools, all the best zoners actually being hybrids and the ice klone not functioning properly

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
That's the first time I heard that backdashing was subpar (in comparison to running) which makes sense. You all agree?