What's new

Discussion ... so who are the Top 5 after all the patching?

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
IDK about top 5 but the characters that are a step above the rest cast to me IMO are:

Alien(Most likely)
Jax
Sonya
Sub Zero
Mileena
Takeda
Shinnok
Johnny Cage
Kano
Ferra/Torr
D'Vorah
Quan Chi

TBH I don't think there's a single bad character in this game if you consider all variations.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
IMO in no order:

Takeda
Cage
D'vorah
Mileena
Alien

Honorable mentions:
Sonya
Leatherface
Kano
Shinnok
Jax

I think it's great that the new top 10 is completely different now, this game had the same top tiers for about a year.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
IDK about top 5 but the characters that are a step above the rest cast to me IMO are:

Alien(Most likely)
Jax
Sonya
Sub Zero
Mileena
Takeda
Shinnok
Johnny Cage
Kano
Ferra/Torr
D'Vorah
Quan Chi

TBH I don't think there's a single bad character in this game if you consider all variations.
Basically this

Noob
1. Mileena
2. Johnny
3. Takeda
4. Shinnok
5. Kotal
6. D'vorah
7. Erron Black
8. Jax
9. Kano
10. Sonya
Why is mileena in so many ppls top 3 list? this is a genuine question? because not so long ago everyone was saying she was mid tier and needed buffs? i dont need a huge explaination, just let me why what variation and what makes her so good? im super curious tbh, Thnks

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Why is mileena in so many ppls top 3 list? this is a genuine question? because not so long ago everyone was saying she was mid tier and needed buffs? i dont need a huge explaination, just let me why what variation and what makes her so good? im super curious tbh, Thnks
She got hella buffs and a bunch of characters got nerfed. Some of her most important buffs:

Less recovery on sais makes her one of the best zoners in the game
6f D1(although the range is still ass lol)
B1 was made -2 instead of -5

She was probably high mid before the March 1st patch but it pretty much shot her to the top.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Sonya below Erron, Shinnok, Kotal and Kano? IDK about that.
Then you clearly have not fought someone who specializes in the character. Erron has mixups galore and plus on block 50/50s with powerful zoning, Marksman is also a threat now with his new combo ability. Shinnok controls so much space with hellsparks and most of the entire cast can't deal with imposter. Kotal's variations are completely flawless and have no downsides whatsoever, especially with sun god. Kano's variations are all solid but cutthroat has 50/50s that are hit-confirmable and safe. Did I mention he hits just as hard if not harder than Blood God Kotal? Sonya would be higher but she has to manage grenades to get any of this done for free, which believe it or not, requires you to actually think. I base my tier lists off how easy it is to pickup a character and go ham. See my point?

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Then you clearly have not fought someone who specializes in the character. Erron has mixups galore and plus on block 50/50s with powerful zoning, Marksman is also a threat now with his new combo ability. Shinnok controls so much space with hellsparks and most of the entire cast can't deal with imposter. Kotal's variations are completely flawless and have no downsides whatsoever, especially with sun god. Kano's variations are all solid but cutthroat has 50/50s that are hit-confirmable and safe. Did I mention he hits just as hard if not harder than Blood God Kotal? Sonya would be higher but she has to manage grenades to get any of this done for free, which believe it or not, requires you to actually think. I base my tier lists off how easy it is to pickup a character and go ham. See my point?
His plus on block 50/50s aren't as good as they used to be because EX grenade is +1 now with large pushback.

DarksydeDash

Piercing, B12 staggers, easy hit confirm into 30%+ into plus on hit restand, zone opponent with insane fast recovery on projectiles, they get in, the whole process starts over.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I base my tier lists off how easy it is to pickup a character and go ham. See my point?
I disagree with this because you can't just pick up A-List Cage or SQ D'Vorah and go ham, they definitely require execution and thinking. Sonya needing to think to get such a powerful tool as the drones isn't the end of the world.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I think they're all great characters but demo is just better than all of them imo. I don't think easiness should be taken into account with tiers, what should be taken account is who is best when they're played at the best possible level. And I think demo is top 5 maybe top 3.
She has everything.
Space control with grenades.
Ability to convert off of every hit into a full combo.
Armour breaking setups.
Safe 50/50s
Non meter dependant giveing her access to breakers, wakeups, reversals and x-rays a lot of the time.
Strong pokes.
Plus frames on strings.
Pressure with grenades.
High damage.

DarksydeDash

I disagree with this because you can't just pick up A-List Cage or SQ D'Vorah and go ham, they definitely require execution and thinking. Sonya needing to think to get such a powerful tool as the drones isn't the end of the world.
D'vorah is a special case because she can be used both execution heavy for damage or 3% less and get the same result. I picked her up out of boredom and I was able to do her jailing cancels on block and her 1 frame combos on hit. She isn't that hard imo. Also Cage is extremely easy. 11 staggers, throws, 113, F42, into restand, into jailing pressure, build a full bar, and if your opponent tries to zone you out, full screen shadow kick that is safe (yes I know it can be neutral ducked but it recovers way to fast), and repeat. lmao.

DarksydeDash

I think they're all great characters but demo is just better than all of them imo. I don't think easiness should be taken into account with tiers, what should be taken account is who is best when they're played at the best possible level. And I think demo is top 5 maybe top 3.
She has everything.
Space control with grenades.
Ability to convert off of every hit into a full combo.
Armour breaking setups.
Safe 50/50s
Non meter dependant giveing her access to breakers, wakeups, reversals and x-rays a lot of the time.
Strong pokes.
Plus frames on strings.
Pressure with grenades.
High damage.
You're missing the point, she needs grenades. If she runs out and gets touched once, its pretty much over. Have you not seen ESL season 2 grand finals? Perfect example.