What's new

So is the GRIND worth the Rewards in MK 11?(Kombat League, ToT and Krypt)

Are MK 11's rewards worth the GRIND in Tot, The Krypt and Kombat League?

• Hell no, not worth it

Votes: 99 69.7%
  • Yes, totally worth it

Votes: 17 12.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 26 18.3%

• Total voters

C-Sword

Noob
The MK11's costumes look like palette swaps, they were designed with grinding for gears in mind. At least with SFV, characters get to look completely different. You get the new characters by playing the game, you don't have to buy any season passes unless you suck like I do lol.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Some of them look very different in MK, while some are palette swaps of the same outfit to be fair SF has also has done this for years until SF4 honestly.

the entire idea of a KL Grind is baffling to me. If you like playing the game you play it and then it gives you a cool bonus reward of different levels. I mean.. you play the game the game rewards you... thats cool.. but why would anyone play when they are not having fun to earn a skin of all things and then it is also a skin in a game they don't like. It is amazing to me that the fact that there is a skin some people feel obligated to grind away.... people are just super greedy I guess. If you just play the game and have fun then the grind is zero, and you still get nice rewards drips to you as you go.
Yeh, it's supposed to happen naturally. I'm trying hard for the cetrion gear this season, but i have fun playing. The moment i don't, i stop. Also, they add new brutals and winning poses, which is really nice if you ask me., and it's for free. People just like to complain.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
ToT : the grind is bearable, but only when you feel like, hehe :p
KL: fucking crap and waste of time the grinding on there :confused:
Characters tower: boring, that's it .... too much fights and requirements to gain a skin/gear here and there .... :confused:

NRS, where's the fuck the 10$ DLC that unlock all at once ? :p

Hostile_18

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.
The MK11's costumes look like palette swaps, they were designed with grinding for gears in mind. At least with SFV, characters get to look completely different. You get the new characters by playing the game, you don't have to buy any season passes unless you suck like I do lol.
I've just recently picked up Arcade edition. Doing the story missions in about 3-4 hours nets you around 3-4 dlc fighters. That's a one time deal though, eventually you'll only be able to really get fight money on online vs at only 50fp a pop.

Thing to remember in all these games is you dont really need skins for characters you dont play. You'll still "enjoy" them when your opponents are wearing them.

As far as MK goes I'd rather just 4 skins per character rather than tons of slightly different variations or colours. A fully featured purchasable store wouldn't be too bad if it would support the game without all these currencies and bloat. I honestly don't think we'd be still stuck with Cassie Cage Mass Effect if people had the option to give them money for better, more varied outfits.

I do like that Street Fighter gives users choice though. If you want a scantily clad female you can, if you want a full body suit you can wear that too (or something inbetween) Choice is never a bad thing and you dont see developers telling their community off for wanting one thing over the other, comes off as especially preachy in a game that has such extreme violence as this one (not that that's a bad thing either).

MKF30

I've just recently picked up Arcade edition. Doing the story missions in about 3-4 hours nets you around 3-4 dlc fighters. That's a one time deal though, eventually you'll only be able to really get fight money on online vs at only 50fp a pop.

Thing to remember in all these games is you dont really need skins for characters you dont play. You'll still "enjoy" them when your opponents are wearing them.

As far as MK goes I'd rather just 4 skins per character rather than tons of slightly different variations or colours. A fully featured purchasable store wouldn't be too bad if it would support the game without all these currencies and bloat. I honestly don't think we'd be still stuck with Cassie Cage Mass Effect if people had the option to give them money for better, more varied outfits.

I do like that Street Fighter gives users choice though. If you want a scantily clad female you can, if you want a full body suit you can wear that too (or something inbetween) Choice is never a bad thing and you dont see developers telling their community off for wanting one thing over the other, comes off as especially preachy in a game that has such extreme violence as this one (not that that's a bad thing either).
Yeah hopefully nrs will ditch the PC bullshit and give us more classic skin clad outfits if we want. I miss Jades oldschool outfits being a jade main.

kantboy-2

Ripper
The sad thing is this was designed to be a drag for 'player retention' and to please the publisher, but somehow they did not expect the reaction it has gotten from the playerbase.

I still make the AI play 90% of the time, though. So that's my darn fault that I'm still 'retained' by this game. I just have a good feeling about Joker and Kano getting better before year 1 ends.

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
The sad thing is this was designed to be a drag for 'player retention' and to please the publisher, but somehow they did not expect the reaction it has gotten from the playerbase.

I still make the AI play 90% of the time, though. So that's my darn fault that I'm still 'retained' by this game. I just have a good feeling about Joker and Kano getting better before year 1 ends.
True

MKF30

So the augments do serve a purpose eh? Interesting. I dont really mess with the kustomization with augments but that's good to know for tag battles

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
wait, is there a new Khronika vault? where is it?

also, a better way to fix KL, make it so you still get some points even if you lose, that way, all thats needed to make it to eldergod status is perserverance, and not having them expect you to beat every damn try hard you come accross.

Art Lean

Noob
I've spent 6 months trying to get all the parts I want to make characters just look like they did 25 years ago. It's such a laborious grind. I've made some new variants alongside them admittedly, usually ones for the special forces characters to look like actual military personnel (BOLO Jacqui, the newly released Duty Station Sonya etc.), or to give MKX Kenshi-styled "Ronin" variants to all the Oriental-themed costumes that allow it (Scorpion, Sub Zero, Kitana, Shao Khan).

But then to have 24 hour golden vault events that I've missed 3 of because I never once ever thought I needed to check Ed Boon's twitter as I'd assumed that anything new would be under the games 'notifications' (and those golden crypt events ended up being items I was wanting the most including Young Justice Liu and Jax's classic arms), I'd have to say the game's taking the p*ss, seriously. Especially since surely if they slapped this stuff in the shop and charged real money for it they could easily entice people to spend actual cash on, instead of an ill-fitting orange space suit for Cassie or a blue set of pyjamas for Skarlet that not only cost nothing more than game-earned virtual money but aren't desirable anyway?

Needless to say I say no... even though I'm glad I've finally, after all this time, got almost all my characters how I want them now, give or take one or two bits of gear or skins that are eluding me. However I'd much prefer if I'd been able to just enjoy this stuff from the beginning... I don't even play it properly. I just get the AI to grind for me in the hopes of playing "dress-up" with my little CGI dollies.

I feel like the kids in South Park after having grinded and grinded at Warcraft to just beat that trolling pro player in the pursuit of all the old school gear I want -
"so what do we do now?"
"Well now we play the game"

Last edited:

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
The Halloween jade skin with purple staff and glaive made me want all those hours I spent grinding her tower back. That was before the patches made it easy too :(

Vinny

Noob
I don't mind characters towers, I just hate you have to play that cheap ass Kronika at the end of tower 1 lol

I usually use character towers to become familiar with a character's buttons, ranges, strings, polish some combos, and I like getting the customizable stuff. I've finished Noob, Jade's towers and am like level 3-4 on 4-5 other characters I play with.
I'm old school and used to play mk1 and mk2 against cpu at home all the time so maybe that's part of it. Sometimes I come home and don't even turn on KL or versus, I'll just knock out a few towers on a character I'm tryin to become familiar with and then deck 'em out in new gear hah

Exactly how I play it, hate to face Kronika in tower one and nowadays after the recent patches they increased the rewards for less effort, usually when I play online (vary rare) I create a party just to avoid dealing with toxic people....lol

MKF30

Forgot about this thread lol. I almost have everything for Raiden, except his KL staff(which I didn't even notice til halfway through S1 of KL but hopefully they'll put it up on the store sometime before Christmas 2020 along with his AI battle Medallion, which I've done tons of AI battles yet the game just won't give it to me....Only 2 more skins left but they have to be put in Race Against Time, that should take another year lol. Everything else I have, I have all his hats and literally need one Medallion(the AI one) and one staff(the KL one) but last when checked, I have like 1344 gear pieces or something around that number in total.

Vinny

Noob
yeah, one thing I forgot to say is... I play ToT just for brutalities( I still don't understand why they are considered cosmetics but finishers)....Skins, gear and so on that come along the way are profit...lol

portent

Noob
@MKF30 Here's the thing about MK11. The game is just not fun as a 1v1/PvP game. The single player content in the game is phenomenal though. I hated MKXL against other people until I played MK11. The difference is that MK11 has been marketed as a slower paced/footsie style game, but it doesn't play like that at all. MKXL, however, has always been a flip flop/unga-bunga game and never made any claims about being anything else. At least that game was honest about it.

That said, MK11 is a great time if you're going to do single player content. If you want to play against people, MK9, MKXL and Injustice 2 are far better choices.

So yes, the grind is worth is, IF AND ONLY IF you're playing for single player content. If not, then no, the grind is definitely not worth it.

MKF30

yeah, one thing I forgot to say is... I play ToT just for brutalities( I still don't understand why they are considered cosmetics but finishers)....Skins, gear and so on that come along the way are profit...lol
Yeah they do that just as another "incentive" for you to play the other modes if you want a finisher/brutality, taunt etc.

@MKF30 Here's the thing about MK11. The game is just not fun as a 1v1/PvP game. The single player content in the game is phenomenal though. I hated MKXL against other people until I played MK11. The difference is that MK11 has been marketed as a slower paced/footsie style game, but it doesn't play like that at all. MKXL, however, has always been a flip flop/unga-bunga game and never made any claims about being anything else. At least that game was honest about it.

That said, MK11 is a great time if you're going to do single player content. If you want to play against people, MK9, MKXL and Injustice 2 are far better choices.

So yes, the grind is worth is, IF AND ONLY IF you're playing for single player content. If not, then no, the grind is definitely not worth it.
Yeah normally I love both single player and vs online, but the game has so many balance issues, lack of options, wacky hitboxes, hurtboxes etc, etc that it's just not fun. Too many gimmicks, I still prefer MK 9 any day over this game or MK X honestly IMO. I don't mind the slower pace in MK 11 but I hate how the game is gimmicky with pretty much relying on who has the best staggers, jailing which leads into free or easy pressure of guess what? 50/50's...and that's something NRS said specifically "we don't want this game to be just about 50/50's" lol really now? And the throws are just way too OP, wake ups suck I can go on but but you get the point lol. But yeah I mean out of all the NRS games so far for me, I definitely think MK 9 and I2 are their best games to play vs people besides single player content. NRS are masters of single player and story content easily, it's head to head vs others that FGS in general have the challenge of keeping it's high replay value and balance. But yeah I mean overall I think the grind is not worth it for things such as skins when they have 60+ per character, that's already a lot of outfits the most for any FG to date technically. However, the guaranteed skins for rewards in say character towers, random ToT I like. I just wish they gave you them more often. The later patches I think definitely help with the brutal difficulty increasing your chances of gear, skins. I think NRS heard people complaining about not getting skins enough so I appreciate that they changed that at least but I have noticed if you have like 5 outfits left or so they'll just give you augments unless it's a definitely ToT skin reward tower.

portent

Noob
Yeah they do that just as another "incentive" for you to play the other modes if you want a finisher/brutality, taunt etc.

Yeah normally I love both single player and vs online, but the game has so many balance issues, lack of options, wacky hitboxes, hurtboxes etc, etc that it's just not fun. Too many gimmicks, I still prefer MK 9 any day over this game or MK X honestly IMO. I don't mind the slower pace in MK 11 but I hate how the game is gimmicky with pretty much relying on who has the best staggers, jailing which leads into free or easy pressure of guess what? 50/50's...and that's something NRS said specifically "we don't want this game to be just about 50/50's" lol really now? And the throws are just way too OP, wake ups suck I can go on but but you get the point lol. But yeah I mean out of all the NRS games so far for me, I definitely think MK 9 and I2 are their best games to play vs people besides single player content. NRS are masters of single player and story content easily, it's head to head vs others that FGS in general have the challenge of keeping it's high replay value and balance. But yeah I mean overall I think the grind is not worth it for things such as skins when they have 60+ per character, that's already a lot of outfits the most for any FG to date technically. However, the guaranteed skins for rewards in say character towers, random ToT I like. I just wish they gave you them more often. The later patches I think definitely help with the brutal difficulty increasing your chances of gear, skins. I think NRS heard people complaining about not getting skins enough so I appreciate that they changed that at least but I have noticed if you have like 5 outfits left or so they'll just give you augments unless it's a definitely ToT skin reward tower.
Unfortunately, the answer regarding balance is just "Yeah, NRS bro". Anything NRS has balance issues. You have to take that as a given when you sign up to play an NRS game. Because of that, I made the conscious decision that anything from old Midway days to current NRS games are mainly for single player fun, and not serious outside of that. MK9 and MKXL have serious balance issues, as does INJ1. INJ2 is probably the best balanced out of all of them, LOL.

But yeah, for a game that is best played for single player content, doing the grind is worth it for MK11.

MKF30

Unfortunately, the answer regarding balance is just "Yeah, NRS bro". Anything NRS has balance issues. You have to take that as a given when you sign up to play an NRS game. Because of that, I made the conscious decision that anything from old Midway days to current NRS games are mainly for single player fun, and not serious outside of that. MK9 and MKXL have serious balance issues, as does INJ1. INJ2 is probably the best balanced out of all of them, LOL.

But yeah, for a game that is best played for single player content, doing the grind is worth it for MK11.
After playing MK 11 honestly, I actually prefer MK 9's balance believe it or not lol. I mean just play against Jacqui's 3rd variation and you'll see what I mean. But yeah they have the money and capability, they just never focus on what should actually be balanced(sometimes they do) but a lot they don't(cough Raiden buff anyone *cough) but sure, let's make Jacqui broken in her new variation lmao....It's not the worst with NRS, I just think they could do better and would love to have a chat with who actually tweaks the characters because I'd definitely give them an earful lol. Pretty much every FG has balance issues to a degree, some worse than others. Look at MVC2 the game was played a lot but was actually broken beyond belief. When a game has that many characters it's tough to make perfect, MK A was the same thing. I've noticed Nin seems to be working harder on Smash since that also has a ton of fighters in it. I think the story for MK 11 is def worth the grind, the krypt(all except the 25 heads part) that was ridiculous and that was toned down from 50....ToT are fine, Gauntlet HA. IMO while this is challenging and annoying at times, I think we should have gotten way more rewards for that grind would have been worth it more imo.

They have a staggering amount of cosmetics in this game. Something I'm not sure this community is that grateful for. I know in KI that the amount of cosmetics was fairly low and there was a large portion of the player base who where chomping at the bit for new cosmetics.

The reason I bring this up is I feel we can all at least appreciate what's provided a little bit. That said I'll be first to admit that some of the cosmetics in this game are a bit lazy and uninspired. As for rate of unlocking cosmetics, it's kind of nuts. I think you unlock items at a reasonable rate, however the problem is that doesn't mean you're unlocking the things you want. The game certainly could stand for some sort of crafting currency where you can destroy items you don't want to make the items that you do want.

portent

Noob
They have a staggering amount of cosmetics in this game. Something I'm not sure this community is that grateful for. I know in KI that the amount of cosmetics was fairly low and there was a large portion of the player base who where chomping at the bit for new cosmetics.

The reason I bring this up is I feel we can all at least appreciate what's provided a little bit. That said I'll be first to admit that some of the cosmetics in this game are a bit lazy and uninspired. As for rate of unlocking cosmetics, it's kind of nuts. I think you unlock items at a reasonable rate, however the problem is that doesn't mean you're unlocking the things you want. The game certainly could stand for some sort of crafting currency where you can destroy items you don't want to make the items that you do want.
Or at least let you target what you want and be able to get it a certain way. Even if it's overpaying with koins/souls/hearts for it.