What's new

Match-up Discussion Smoke Match-Up Discussion Thread (2012 Post-EVO Update)

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
you can atleast still run away witha life lead from her and force mistakes using his spacing tools. This mu took me forever to win in. the key imo is theres a really fucked up spacing because her d4 extends past her foot and on a read(pretty easy since thats the center of her offense) where you can b2 it. Its not lao bad but a HARD 6-4 imo.
Yeah thats one of the big issues i face as well. She really makes you commit hard to punishing her D4 and if she reads it she can jump obviously, or back up and D4 whiff punish. Even if you block it who cares your at +1 with all the BS.

I honestly just hate this character lol so i may be a tad bias. All i know is that this MU is pretty damn bad, i won't even bother putting a number on it.

McNasty

Moist.
Yeah thats one of the big issues i face as well. She really makes you commit hard to punishing her D4 and if she reads it she can jump obviously, or back up and D4 whiff punish. Even if you block it who cares your at +1 with all the BS.

I honestly just hate this character lol so i may be a tad bias. All i know is that this MU is pretty damn bad, i won't even bother putting a number on it.
You have to be sooo on point in this match its ridiculous. She blows up close smoke bombs the worst imo which makes fishing for counter pokes really risky. The worst thing is that her d4 recovers really fast so raw smoke bomb wont cut it so like you mentioned you have to take a leap of faith with b2 and if she baits you GGs dive kick combo reset. Since smoke is a heavy poke based character it opens up a lot of options for her to jump back instant air dive kick. I share your hatred for sonya she is brutal. I pick kitana in the MU at this point just because of the risk involved in the B2 as compared to just playing footsies and blowing up d4 with f21.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
You have to be sooo on point in this match its ridiculous. She blows up close smoke bombs the worst imo which makes fishing for counter pokes really risky. The worst thing is that her d4 recovers really fast so raw smoke bomb wont cut it so like you mentioned you have to take a leap of faith with b2 and if she baits you GGs dive kick combo reset. Since smoke is a heavy poke based character it opens up a lot of options for her to jump back instant air dive kick. I share your hatred for sonya she is brutal. I pick kitana in the MU at this point just because of the risk involved in the B2 as compared to just playing footsies and blowing up d4 with f21.
yeah i think i'm going to pick someone else in this MU as well. Not worth the trouble at ALL to try and win this one, especially because i'm not very comfortable in the MU like i am vs. Kabal :\

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
What do you all think of the Sonya match-up? I honestly think it horrid and feel it is probably worse than Kung Lao.
I have played some excellent Sonya's but not Death. If you let Sonya get in it can be a rough time. Life lead is pretty key and keeping her away + forcing mistakes on her way in is pretty much the way to fight it. If you can get a good read on when she wants to d4 to move in I try to space it where I can back dash and punish with SB.

After cartwheel can Sonya jump into a dive kick combo if we are trying to punish with 21? I am not 100% sure of this because I have had mixed results punishing it online sometimes, but that could just be online.

However, there is no way this MU is worse than Lao in my opinion

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Kartwheel is -3 and assuming it's an iADK it's 4f, making it realistically 7f so yes it will beat a 21. 21 is rather risky though because she can she D1 you or D4 then you've eaten more chip, she got more meter, and your back at square 1. Also if she does an Ex Karthwheel you're screwed.

D3 is pretty solid because it beats all of her pokes, it isn't very - on block BUT that doesn't matter because she can just D4~MS again. If she Ex Karthweels the D3 you cab actually recover and block in time. Only thing is, Divekick blows up D3 hard :\

My main issue is whiff punishing the D4 and dealing with her jumping shenanigans...

RiBBz22

Kartwheel is -3 and assuming it's an iADK it's 4f, making it realistically 7f so yes it will beat a 21. 21 is rather risky though because she can she D1 you or D4 then you've eaten more chip, she got more meter, and your back at square 1. Also if she does an Ex Karthwheel you're screwed.

D3 is pretty solid because it beats all of her pokes, it isn't very - on block BUT that doesn't matter because she can just D4~MS again. If she Ex Karthweels the D3 you cab actually recover and block in time. Only thing is, Divekick blows up D3 hard :\

My main issue is whiff punishing the D4 and dealing with her jumping shenanigans...
Ya I think it is 6-4 Sonya but personally Lao and Kabal are much tougher to deal with. Nomad Dash let's Kabal get in Smoke's face pretty much whenever he wants. You said you were comfortable in the Kabal MU, what are your tips there?

Well the divekick itself is 4 frames when performed at minimum height.. But it should take another 7 for the actual jump before you can cancel it into the divekick, making a perfect iaDK 11f. Am I mistaken?

RiBBz22

Well the divekick itself is 4 frames when performed at minimum height.. But it should take another 7 for the actual jump before you can cancel it into the divekick, making a perfect iaDK 11f. Am I mistaken?
GamerBlake90 do you know this? I would like to get an answer as well because I am not 100% sure on the frame data on this move and how it exactly works.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
GamerBlake90 do you know this? I would like to get an answer as well because I am not 100% sure on the frame data on this move and how it exactly works.
According to this thread here...

http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/sonya-frame-data.17615/

...the divekick by itself is four frames, though I think that varies depending on the height at which you input the move. Then it adds seven frames for a diagonal jump. Quite honestly, though, I'm not sure if that's accurate or if we're misreading the data. I have done plenty of instant-air divekicks using diagonal jumps and it does NOT feel like it takes eleven frames to perform. I might actually be doing it fast enough that it appears to take four or six frames at best. That's only when done at the fastest possible speed, of course.

Here is a video that demonstrates how I do this.

Skip to 0:48, 0:53, 7:36, and 7:42 for the examples.

Do note that I have no understanding on how to calculate frame data by any means, so if I seem like a prick for having doubts, please forgive me. ;_; But I'm fairly sure it is not 11 frames when the divekick is done as an instant-air.

SZSR

Noob
I haven't seen much of the Smoke - Jax MU, isn't it actually disadvantageous for us? I thought it was bad but I have never really fought any Jaxes.

HD Smoke

Noob
I wouldn't say Smoke beats sektor it's probably 5-5. Sonya is 3-7. Cage is 3-7 dizzy or curbo will never lose a tourney match against Smoke. I think LK might best Smoke 6-4. Once people learn how to fight Smoke his chance at winning drops. Wafflez said it before! Learn the match up against Smoke and it's really nothing to worry about if you have a top 12 character. Really doubt Smoke beats Cyrax! Everytime a Smoke and Cyrax fight at a tourney it's Cyrax winning. Better resets and strings than Smoke

HD Smoke

Noob
What do you all think of the Sonya match-up? I honestly think it horrid and feel it is probably worse than Kung Lao.

I've played Death both online sequentially over the past year or so and i had the honour to play him offline at T13, and he definitely won more than i did. I also play two other Sonya players online, one of which is @Khaotik. Now, why i think this MU is so bad?

D4~MS and Divekick makes our life hell. Her dash speed allows her to move in super fast and even if you do read a D4 and try to SB if she does a dashing D4 it will whiff. Smoke's damage isn't much of an issue in this match-up, she does 50% BnB off jip and 40% off of a DK. Her armor makes it literally impossible to pressure her, it's not like even if you block the armor you get anything good to follow it up with. (I.e Cage's F3) And because we don't have anything to armor back with she has ridiculous pressure options against him.

She really doesn't need to respect on hit after ANYTHING besides 2, D4 and d3 vs. crouch. She can divekick interrupt with a full combo punish, so the threat of Dk is always there. Things that normally are viable like D3, B2 get slapped in the face. Even a D3, 2 gets slapped in the face via divekick.

And the kicker: Any time she knocks you down she gets a free D4~MS. It blows up Smoke Away and towards, teleport whiffs because of her lowered hitbox.

Overall i think she has all the tools to make Smoke stop throwing out SB's (and building meter) from far with her DK and D4. She destroys him up close. Armor is a pain because Smoke has no quick mids to check her up even on block.

I may be wrong and i just need more MU xp and practice, but i just thought i'd see everyone elses opinion because this is personally my most hated MU. I'd rather fight Kabal than her any day of the week :( lol

Sonya beats Smoke 7-3 IMO. She abuses his hitbox and blows up b2 and d1 too easy. She also laughs at Smokebomb when it's thrown up close.
Everyone will finally see it one day. Smoke is pretty bad against strong rush down characters. I think LK beats Smoke too as that MU is not explored enough at high level. I just can't wait for the rest of players who aren't Smoke mains to finally admit Smoke has severe issues and is very overrated! Smokes amazing if your a zoning character but hella weak against the armored/rushdown BS characters.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Somberness says an absolutely perfect divekick is 10f. Without it buffered is 11f. Since he is the reason we even have the frame data to begin with, I don't see a reason to question it.

Somberness

Lights
According to this thread here...

http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/sonya-frame-data.17615/

...the divekick by itself is four frames, though I think that varies depending on the height at which you input the move. Then it adds seven frames for a diagonal jump. Quite honestly, though, I'm not sure if that's accurate or if we're misreading the data. I have done plenty of instant-air divekicks using diagonal jumps and it does NOT feel like it takes eleven frames to perform. I might actually be doing it fast enough that it appears to take four or six frames at best. That's only when done at the fastest possible speed, of course.

Here is a video that demonstrates how I do this.

Skip to 0:48, 0:53, 7:36, and 7:42 for the examples.

Do note that I have no understanding on how to calculate frame data by any means, so if I seem like a prick for having doubts, please forgive me. ;_; But I'm fairly sure it is not 11 frames when the divekick is done as an instant-air.
Like mentioned previously, the best is 10. You can test it yourself by making Skarlet use wakeup attacks and try to punish dual upslash (-8).

RiBBz22

I haven't seen much of the Smoke - Jax MU, isn't it actually disadvantageous for us? I thought it was bad but I have never really fought any Jaxes.
D4 is a great tool in this MU but it seems like the F413 string can be a pretty big problem with Smoke's hitbox. I don't play a lot of high level Jax's anyways so my opinion is pretty worthless here. I do main Smoke and Cage, and even though I feel like Smoke is my best character playing good Jax players is SO much easier with Cage...for what that is worth.

RiBBz22

I wouldn't say Smoke beats sektor it's probably 5-5. Sonya is 3-7. Cage is 3-7 dizzy or curbo will never lose a tourney match against Smoke. I think LK might best Smoke 6-4. Once people learn how to fight Smoke his chance at winning drops. Wafflez said it before! Learn the match up against Smoke and it's really nothing to worry about if you have a top 12 character. Really doubt Smoke beats Cyrax! Everytime a Smoke and Cyrax fight at a tourney it's Cyrax winning. Better resets and strings than Smoke
I think Smoke is a tough MU for Sektor. All the good ones I have played struggle to win in that MU. I can't see Sonya being 7-3 because that would scare me to think of what Kabal/Kung Lao are because I personally feel those 2 characters are way more of a problem. Sonya at least has to guess on the way in and risk eating a combo where as Kabal can dash to get right in your face and pressure you whenever he wants to. Maybe the LK MU is unexplored a bit, but I still think that is pretty even and I would be surprised to see it shift definitively in one direction or the other.

Owerbart

I miss you
Can someone explain why Ermac has any sort of disadvantage in this MU? Ermac doesn't need to do anything besides blocking. He can just lame you out with TKPs and eventually Smoke realizes he has to get in because smoke bombs don't do chip damage. TKP from max or even 3/4 range gets away. Even from upclose I don't think anyone of them has an advantage. They'll both try to do their best to mix up their neutral strings.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Somberness says an absolutely perfect divekick is 10f. Without it buffered is 11f. Since he is the reason we even have the frame data to begin with, I don't see a reason to question it.
Like I said, I'm not an expert on the subject nor am I questioning Somberness's efforts. I'm merely asking because I felt curious.

Like mentioned previously, the best is 10. You can test it yourself by making Skarlet use wakeup attacks and try to punish dual upslash (-8).
I'll give that a shot, thanks. :)

Can someone explain why Ermac has any sort of disadvantage in this MU? Ermac doesn't need to do anything besides blocking. He can just lame you out with TKPs and eventually Smoke realizes he has to get in because smoke bombs don't do chip damage. TKP from max or even 3/4 range gets away. Even from upclose I don't think anyone of them has an advantage. They'll both try to do their best to mix up their neutral strings.
I am not sure. I personally have that match as a 5-5after all I've played with Moe

RiBBz22

Yep, force push can be pretty annoying in this MU, and it is a great tool... but what happens when I stand at the end of your push range and you throw one out, whiff, and I punish it with Smoke bomb? A mistake like that can cost you more than half your life bar and you would have to come in and take major risks to do so. Also it is not too difficult to escape Ermac pressure and his specials are pretty negative on block. With this said I just think it is a 6-4 in Smoke's favor so it isn't a monster disadvantage.

Also in general Smoke's oki game is better and Ermac can't rely on getting any chip with his projectile since Smoke can just sit and shake them at full screen.