What's new

Tech - Slasher Slasher Tech and Strategy Discussion

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
@Blade4693
He's fine, tougher than relentless to use, but fine.

Actually I realized the other day that slasher has so many different moves that I tend to forget some, ending using only, F4/F2~BF3 & B122

So, I formed a list of useful moves I should add
122, 23, 24, D4

The first two are no launchers, but help Slasher main problem: closing in

"Hidan the first move whiffs"
"But the second will reach and it's +2 in both cases"

I used these kind of strings in both MK9 & Tekken. There is reason some 2nd or 3rd moves travel. Especially 122, this thing was made to work like this (AND jails with DF1 and maybe BF3 also)
I use 122 constantly. Great string.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
@KeyserSoze I played a lot of casuals yesterday and realized that Slasher may not just be a character counter pick, but a player counter pick. He is a scrub killer haha.

I feel your Slasher > Relentless view
Oh yeah, he is the quintessential scrub killer. So true.

See, I think Relentless would benefit immeasurably from two simple changes:

1) Having his B122 whiff issues fixed (Interestingly, people always talk about how reliant Slasher is on one string: F42. But, I would argue that Relentless is even more reliant on one string: B122)

2) Having the recovery frames on Pursuit reduced slightly so that, you know, we could actually use it sometimes - haha.

Also, I think the fact that all of Jason's specials can be low-profiled hurts Relentless more than Slasher because of how much more range/reach Slasher has (including a projectile) at his disposal. (i.e. Slasher doesn't rely on something like ex-Bloodshed as much as Relentless relies on something like ex-Choke)

Also, Slasher has inordinately better air normals than Relentless does and I think that can sometimes be a big advantage in this game.

It's close. Both variations are viable. And I'd even go so far as to write that Relentless may have more overall potential than Slasher. But, I just personally have considerably more success with Slasher.

Last edited:

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick

1) Having his B122 whiff issues fixed (Interestingly, people always talk about how reliant Slasher is on one string: F42. But, I would argue that Relentless is even more reliant on one string: B122)

2) Having the recovery frames on Pursuit reduced slightly so that, you know, we could actually use it sometimes - haha.

Also, I think the fact that all of Jason's specials can be low-profiled hurts Relentless more than Slasher because of how much more range/reach Slasher has (including a projectile) at his disposal. (i.e. Slasher doesn't rely on something like ex-Bloodshed as much as Relentless relies on something like ex-Choke)

Also, Slasher has inordinately better air normals than Relentless does and I think that can sometimes be a big advantage in this game.

It's close. Both variations are viable. And I'd even go so far as to write that Relentless may have more overall potential than Slasher. But, I just personally have considerably more success with Slasher.
It's a long talk cause it's about details (about the comparing), but I'm willing to do it. I'll tag you in general discussion tomorrow

Hidan

A few things about the post here

1) I know, right? I used to say that about slasher too and then caught me doing b122 again and again

2) I play with ppl who know the Jason matchup and I still find opportunities to throw it out, or even threat that I will. Plus if the recovery gets better the move may become abusable and the whining will be top tier for our ears. I think it's fine

NariTuba

disMember
2) I play with ppl who know the Jason matchup and I still find opportunities to throw it out, or even threat that I will. Plus if the recovery gets better the move may become abusable and the whining will be top tier for our ears. I think it's fine
Killing machine puts a lot of pressure on the opponent when they are low on life, when you have breaker and even more so when you have x-ray. Meter and health bar awareness is extremely important to using killing machine correctly.

I agree with you, potential for abuse makes buffing this move EXTREMELY dangerous. Right now the prize for activating is eating a full combo unless you kill or have breaker. Activating correctly takes awareness, and people get all the more nervous for it.

I say leave it as is.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Killing machine puts a lot of pressure on the opponent when they are low on life, when you have breaker and even more so when you have x-ray. Meter and health bar awareness is extremely important to using killing machine correctly.

I agree with you, potential for abuse makes buffing this move EXTREMELY dangerous. Right now the prize for activating is eating a full combo unless you kill or have breaker. Activating correctly takes awareness, and people get all the more nervous for it.

I say leave it as is.
@Hidan was referring to Pursuit, but I agree with you completely regarding Killing Machine. I have been having a lot of success with Killing Machine lately, because I have learned to use it cautiously and prudently. It's a situational, yet very formidable, tool when used correctly.

Kyu

CHOO CHOO BANE TRAIN
Quick question. Is there any way to make f42 safe? I've been toying around with option selects today, and I can't quite figure it out. F4 df1 is safe, df1 is -6 only Cassie can flip kick punish I think. The problem is I can't figure out how to have f4 df1 come out consistently on block but have f42 come out on hit. Anyone have ideas?

Hidan

in the third combo of this vid, you will see the animation of the F4 after jump in 2 be alot like the one in the other variations, is it just me or ?
I remember this being a thing, never happened to me. Maybe it's from ji1 because I use ji2. Or it's "fixed"

In any case it looks like he borrows f4 animation from the other variations (doesn't look like 19 frames though). The dmg is the same I suppose, 5%

But, if in any case the range increases to match the overhead, we gotta know for sure

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Any ideas on what to do after a hard knock down in Slasher? I find myself hard knocking down people a lot now and I am just left standing there waiting for them to get up it seems for like a whole 2 seconds, what should I be doing when I get the hard knockdown? I can always go for F42 but they usually delay and the f4 misses, or they know its coming and block low. So I mix it up and do F2 into bf3, which works a lot since they usually are blocking low expecting the f42, but it doesn't really lead to a whole lot of damage, though I get another knockdown and they have to guess if im going over head or low.

Just curious about some general strategies when this happens, I feel like there is something else I could be doing but just cant figure out what it is lol

@Eldriken @KeyserSoze: Any ideas? Not trying to bother you guys btw, I just know you two are knowledgeable on the character.

Last edited:

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Hola dudes, new to Jason and have a frame data question with Slasher. I was playing a buddy (Kano) last night and over several matches he was pulling off an unblockable reversal of my 122 using either Up Ball regular or Ex Kano Ball (the latter of which has a 1 frame startup). I was incredulous that this was even a thing and labbed it with the AI doing autoreversals and could not reproduce it - was able to block every reversal attempt, even with much slower moves (as bad as -9). With the frame data in mind can anyone think of any reason why this could have happened?

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Any ideas on what to do after a hard knock down in Slasher? I find myself hard knocking down people a lot now and I am just left standing there waiting for them to get up it seems for like a whole 2 seconds, what should I be doing when I get the hard knockdown? I can always go for F42 but they usually delay and the f4 misses, or they know its coming and block low. So I mix it up and do F2 into bf3, which works a lot since they usually are blocking low expecting the f42, but it doesn't really lead to a whole lot of damage, though I get another knockdown and they have to guess if im going over head or low.

Just curious about some general strategies when this happens, I feel like there is something else I could be doing but just cant figure out what it is lol

@Eldriken @KeyserSoze: Any ideas? Not trying to bother you guys btw, I just know you two are knowledgeable on the character.
Hey, sorry for the late response. I've been super busy with school, and as a result, I haven't been on the forum much. Anyway, to answer your question: You have Slasher's basic 50/50 down. There really isn't anything "better," per se. There are, however, other options depending on your ability to read your opponent and gauge what he likes to do over a long set. From my experience, the three most effective alternatives to the basic 50/50 you already described are:

1) Using B122 as a Meaty to stuff certain unarmored wake-ups

2) Using an enhanced BF2 in the same fashion as (1)

3) Situationally activating Killing Machine, when appropriate.

edit: Of course, for the people who perpetually choose to block low (which, is the vast majority of players), you can always go for a JI2/NJ2/Crossover J2, but all of those can easily be reacted to and blocked accordingly.

Last edited:

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Hey, sorry for the late response. I've been super busy with school, and as a result, I haven't been on the forum much. Anyway, to answer your question: You have Slasher's basic 50/50 down. There really isn't anything "better," per se. There are, however, other options depending on your ability to read your opponent and gauge what he likes to do over a long set. From my experience, the three most effective alternatives to the basic 50/50 you already described are:

1) Using B122 as a Meaty to stuff certain unarmored wake-ups

2) Using an enhanced BF2 in the same fashion as (1)

3) Situationally activating Killing Machine, when appropriate.

edit: Of course, for the people who perpetually choose to block low (which, is the vast majority of players), you can always go for a JI2/NJ2/Crossover J2, but all of those can easily be reacted to and blocked accordingly.
Awesome, thanks man! That enhanced Psycho Slash is really good lol, its awesome to wake up with and use as a reversal, it alone takes like 20% IIRC. So it would seem like the rest of what I need to do is start learning how to read my opponent then using those above options accordingly. The F2 cancels really catch people off guard, I noticed I started doing a lot better once I started using that since most people are waiting for that low to come lol

Hidan

Awesome, thanks man! That enhanced Psycho Slash is really good lol, its awesome to wake up with and use as a reversal, it alone takes like 20% IIRC. So it would seem like the rest of what I need to do is start learning how to read my opponent then using those above options accordingly. The F2 cancels really catch people off guard, I noticed I started doing a lot better once I started using that since most people are waiting for that low to come lol
Tag me too whenever you want something about gameplay, I like those Jason talks

I believe you shouldn't care for the dmg out of f2~bf3, it still knocks back a lot. Slasher's gameplan IMO is pushing into the corner where you have both low (f4) and overhead (f2) cancelled into bf3 leading to combos. If these are not already known, I can write down the inputs

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Tag me too whenever you want something about gameplay, I like those Jason talks

I believe you shouldn't care for the dmg out of f2~bf3, it still knocks back a lot. Slasher's gameplan IMO is pushing into the corner where you have both low (f4) and overhead (f2) cancelled into bf3 leading to combos. If these are not already known, I can write down the inputs
Alright will do man! And yeah that's pretty much what I try to do with him, I try to bully people into the corner and then take advantage of making them guess if the low or the overhead is coming. I do need to learn some corner combos out of the f4 bf3 though, I have seen video of a good one but the user didn't say what the inputs were so I could definitely use that if you have some :)

Last edited:

Hidan

Alright will do man! And yeah that's pretty much what I try to do with him, I try to bully people into the corner and then take advantage of making them guess if the low or the overhead is coming. I do need to learn some corner combos out of the f4 bf3 though, I have seen video of a good one but the user didn't say what the inputs were so I could definitely use that if you have some :)
as long as you don't launch them before BF3 hits, the combos are the same
So, from: 111 /12 /B12 /F4 /F2 into BF3

d1, b122, 1, 111-df1 (36 from both low and overhead)
d1, d1, b122, 111-df1 (same dmg, if you drop the b122)
d1, b122, 11-bf3, d1-df1 (swag)

Blade4693

VIVIVI
as long as you don't launch them before BF3 hits, the combos are the same
So, from: 111 /12 /B12 /F4 /F2 into BF3

d1, b122, 1, 111-df1 (36 from both low and overhead)
d1, d1, b122, 111-df1 (same dmg, if you drop the b122)
d1, b122, 11-bf3, d1-df1 (swag)
So I can do F3, bf3, into any of those listed? Awesome, ill definitely go into practice and a bit and try to get them all down, thanks! Are they hard to do online? Thats' pretty much the only way I can play against other MKX players since I don't have a local scene and none of my friends play fighters lol