What's new

Match-up Discussion Skarlet Vs. Kung Lao

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Not to bring NW in to the discussion but I feel he can deal with KL's mobility better because of his standing 1. Skarlet doesn't have a fast move like that which helps her spacing, instead she has her daggers which I feel don't do too much in this match. If KL spaces his divekicks and rolls i feel Skarlet can't do anything about it except wait to see what he follows up with when he recovers. That's why I feel his mobility hurts Skarlet a great deal.
i can understand that but isnt her standing 1 only 1 frame slower than nightwolfs? it cant be that bad. i understand the roll situation because once i know my opponents habits it is easier to make the right read

Mosp

Noob
i can understand that but isnt her standing 1 only 1 frame slower than nightwolfs? it cant be that bad. i understand the roll situation because once i know my opponents habits it is easier to make the right read
Yes it's one frame slower but the recovery is way worse. Nightwolf's 1 duration is 19 frames and Skarlet's 1 duration is 26, not to mention Nightwolf's 122 string is way more helpful in this match than Skarlet's 114.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Yes it's one frame slower but the recovery is way worse. Nightwolf's 1 duration is 19 frames and Skarlet's 1 duration is 26, not to mention Nightwolf's 122 string is way more helpful in this match than Skarlet's 114.
114 is soooooo good i have trouble agreeing with you. 1221 is good but 114 rd slide is god like. its a toss up. all i know is that i have NEVER lost an offline series to kung lao.

i shouldnt advertise that cause im painting a target on my back but ATL Batman knows this and hate fighting me in a tourney because he knows i have KL number....this includes pre patch nw vs KL. lol

Mosp

Noob
114 is soooooo good i have trouble agreeing with you. 1221 is good but 114 rd slide is god like. its a toss up. all i know is that i have NEVER lost an offline series to kung lao.

i shouldnt advertise that cause im painting a target on my back but ATL Batman knows this and hate fighting me in a tourney because he knows i have KL number....this includes pre patch nw vs KL. lol
Lol I'm the opposite, I think pboard loves playing my Skarlet cuz he always wins :(
114 is good but in this matchup I find myself whiffing more often than not because of Lao's mobility and I get full combo'd cuz it's balls on whiff.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Lol I'm the opposite, I think pboard loves playing my Skarlet cuz he always wins :(
114 is good but in this matchup I find myself whiffing more often than not because of Lao's mobility and I get full combo'd cuz it's balls on whiff.
im with you bro. only time will tell. the best skarlet out there (detroit) wont show us his skills with her so pffffff! i would kill a baby to see him play all skar at a turnament.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
i would kill a baby to see him play all skar at a turnament.
I laughed... but then agreed.

I jumped out of my seat when he hovered over her against cd jr at the mlg top fighters thing, then yelled so loud my cat shat itself when he picked someone else.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I laughed... but then agreed.

I jumped out of my seat when he hovered over her against cd jr at the mlg top fighters thing, then yelled so loud my cat shat itself when he picked someone else.
dude i was at revival watching it while everyone played casuals...i did the dame thing minus the cat. sigh

Death

Noob
This MU could be pretty tough for Skarlet. The problem right now is that there are barely any KLs out there playing this character right. There is a lot of KLs who still teleport/low hat/ random spin in hopes it hits etc and dont play a footsie game/patient game with him or use his 21212 string that much while hitconfirming the last hit with spin. KL IMO is a top 4 character and within time people will be playing him right. The only people I ever seen play this character right is Usedforglue, foxy and curbo. KL played properly can be a problem for Skarlet and a lot of characters.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
This MU could be pretty tough for Skarlet. The problem right now is that there are barely any KLs out there playing this character right. There is a lot of KLs who still teleport/low hat/ random spin in hopes it hits etc and dont play a footsie game/patient game with him or use his 21212 string that much while hitconfirming the last hit with spin. KL IMO is a top 4 character and within time people will be playing him right. The only people I ever seen play this character right is Usedforglue, foxy and curbo. KL played properly can be a problem for Skarlet and a lot of characters.
well said. i agree 100%. its hard to see the MU clearly when barely anybody uses him right

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
ive played foxy's KL and its really good. i still think he might be over rated. but foxy is still really freaking good.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Agreed with Death and lotf.

Imo, the way KL is being played in general right now, Skarlet needs to be patient and bait KL out. When KL is played at a higher level, I think it will turn into a footsie war which either one could win with the tools they have.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Mosp

Noob
Well I should be on the EpicGP stream later today and I'll be playing pboard so if you guys can watch and give me some tips that would be nice :)

Johnny2d

Since with Kung Lao's 1, or 2 starters, the first hit will whiff on neutral crouch, do they also whiff if Skarlet does a f4? If I remember correctly, f4 makes her in crouch state, and would mean that it would beat Lao's 1 (10 frames) and 2 (7 frames) even though the f4 is 13 frames.

Does the crouch state start immediately on f4?

In the Kung Lao guide it is recommended to go for a 2,1, to check after a blocked 112, or 11, since the 2 is 7 frames. The guide recommends this above a d3 which is 9 frames for Lao. Is it worth it to assume after 112, and 11 block pressure that he will go for his very fast 7 frame high attack, but more importantly, does a f4 go under it? A low poke will grant advantage but if a f4 wins that trade that's a full combo.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I've tried to punish teleports with the down slash, i was unsucessful because i couldn't predict perfectly the correct slash at the time, need more practice. Also didn't work because when Smith Jumped for a Spark i was thinking if he would go for the dive or the teleport so once i reacted to the teleport the tele3 blew me away.

In all the attempts i did, NJP worked better than the slash, so jump out of it still the best way if you want to avoid damage.

Does the crouch state start immediately on f4?
IF both strings starts at the same time, and the opponent dtring hits high skarlet will win the trade.

Johnny2d

I've tried to punish teleports with the down slash, i was unsucessful because i couldn't predict perfectly the correct slash at the time, need more practice. Also didn't work because when Smith Jumped for a Spark i was thinking if he would go for the dive or the teleport so once i reacted to the teleport the tele3 blew me away.

In all the attempts i did, NJP worked better than the slash, so jump out of it still the best way if you want to avoid damage.

IF both strings starts at the same time, and the opponent dtring hits high skarlet will win the trade.
Even when his startup is 7, and skarlet's is 13?

ryublaze

Noob
Ok I just tested with Kung Lao's 2 starter and it will beat out Skarlet's F4. I think any move that hits mid (on crouch block) will beat F4, but any move that hits high (whiffs on neutral crouch and crouch block) won't beat F4. So I think it's risky because Kung Lao can get a full combo off of his 2.

Johnny2d

Ok I just tested with Kung Lao's 2 starter and it will beat out Skarlet's F4. I think any move that hits mid (on crouch block) will beat F4, but any move that hits high (whiffs on neutral crouch and crouch block) won't beat F4. So I think it's risky because Kung Lao can get a full combo off of his 2.
Thanks for testing it. It was worth a shot. Back to low pokes in that situation I guess.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Oh, so that is not a true high that is why it hits her
I'm starting to think Skarlet can stilll Sell a En Dash behind a trade like strings and Wakeups in this matchup to bait keep Kung lao at Bay

Pls test if a F4 En Red dash , will go through the trade and place Skarlet in Position to Up Slash kung?