What's new

Match-up Discussion Skarlet Vs. Kabal

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
emp_scar just used her at comicpalooza and he got 3rd. the thread is around on TYM with the matches being shown. Just check them out if you are doubting her tools.

Here is the link: http://testyourmight.com/threads/comicpalooza-2-tournament-results-houston-tx.17539/page-3#post-389584

KH Scar is the skarlet player. He taught me how to use her.
Thank you for the link. That is some nice high level Skarlet.

I'd like to point out that at 1:20 in the Grolarbear vs. KH Scar match, Scar throws a blood ball... and wins the match :)

video 1. here is my two cents with cancel options to have a slighter new insight on more against him. i rarely struggle in this match anyway, but here is just some fun and useful options to try. especially the grabbing him dirrectly out of reg dash trick lol. enjoy.

Johnny2d

Well, we put together some good information here, and with all the kabal hype lately, there have been a whole bunch of threads dedicated to beating him. At times we got a little off track and argued tier lists, but maybe that was poor timing on my part deciding to talk kabal.

Who do we want to break down next? Last week there were several votes for Raiden and I'd be cool with discussing that match. I still think that Freddy is a problem that should be on the list at some point.

Ninj and L0rdoftheFLY, you both have had the most confidence in the two matches we've broken down so far, I'd really like to get a recommendation from you guys on any matchups you feel we could work on to strengthen.

Opinions from the rest of Klub are always welcome too :)

Mosp, WonderedFuture, Khaotic_xShangx, Eddy Wang, RedRaptor10, SwayNTech, yautjared (If I missed anyone on the list, sorry, its not intentional)

Flagg

Noob
I guess no one is looking forward to Skarlet at MLG :(
I am.

I wish I had the patience to really sit down and use her, because she's one of my favourite characters in this game. Really cant wait to see some high level Skarlet action. There will be a big Skarlet bandwagon soon.

EDIT: wish people would drop the bullshit and say "when did anyone see Skarlet win a major". When was the last time Kung Lao won anything? Guess that means the character is garbage. Same with Sonya I suppose. Arguments like this are asinine. I believe Skarlet and Kung Lao has what it takes to stop the Kabal juggernaut that's picking up pace.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I never played freddy so i won't be of much help on Freddy, i didn't talk much on Kabal because here in my country until now there is no better Kabal than mine, but since i main him, i can see his holes and the places where he can cover, Skarlet has this holes too, and she can close them as well.
So in resuming this match is not 4-6 or 6-4, its definitely a 5-5, each one of them have tools to defeat each other on high level play

Well, we put together some good information here, and with all the kabal hype lately, there have been a whole bunch of threads dedicated to beating him. At times we got a little off track and argued tier lists, but maybe that was poor timing on my part deciding to talk kabal.

Who do we want to break down next? Last week there were several votes for Raiden and I'd be cool with discussing that match. I still think that Freddy is a problem that should be on the list at some point.

Ninj and L0rdoftheFLY, you both have had the most confidence in the two matches we've broken down so far, I'd really like to get a recommendation from you guys on any matchups you feel we could work on to strengthen.

Opinions from the rest of Klub are always welcome too :)

Mosp, WonderedFuture, Khaotic_xShangx, Eddy Wang, RedRaptor10, SwayNTech, yautjared (If I missed anyone on the list, sorry, its not intentional)
i dont mind raiden, i had fun goin to war with cjk rattlehead a while back, and i won that. lol shout outs to cjk rattlehead

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
No character has a special move that is without weakness:

Let's break this down a little.

What I'm showing in this video is a scenario where you're anticipating a Kabal using either EX ND or normal ND to close the distance between you and him. I see Kabal players using Nomad Dash and then cancelling right in front of a character to start a block string against an opponent who's too scared to do anything but stand there and block. I disagree with that mentality - while NDC's are quite powerful, they're at their weakest at the beginning. The logic behind that statement is that when a Kabal player uses Nomad Dash, they have to decide if they're committing or cancelling it. That's a weak spot, so take advantage. If I predict you, as a Kabal player, are going to use a NDC to close the gap, I'm going to hit F4,DF3 - if you do as I predict, I win and you get blasted as shown in the video.

The flip side to that is that yes, it's risky. However, let's look at possible outcomes:

1) F4,DF3 connects as shown in the video against a committed Nomad Dash or an attempted NDC. Win!
2) Kabal instead wakes up and does a ground saw or iaGB while I stand there and do a F4. Ok, that sucks, but I only take 8%.
3) Kabal commits to the Nomad Dash and I whiff on my F4 and get combo'd.

I like #3. If #3 starts happening, that means Kabal players are being forced to choose because Nomad Dash Cancelling to close distance is no longer an easy decision.

Kabal players have it easy right now. Everyone's scared of them. Problem is, I'm not, and Skarlet isn't either. So let's start breaking down Kabal and bring his weaknesses to light, because he has them. Extrapolate what I show in the video out to other characters - any standing combo starter on any character should force Kabal to start second guessing using Nomad Dash to close the distance.

L0rdoftheFLY UsedForGlue @pig of hte hut RedRaptor10 A F0xy Grampa thoughts?

Ninja edit: I apologize - the video could be longer to see it better, but F4 is the starter on both combos.

Johnny2d

I like this way of thinking. The reason the dash cancel works is cause they assume we would block and wait to see what happens, the same way we hope to use the skarlets empty dash. This is an aggressive gamble that is medium risk, very high reward, and puts the mind game against the kabal player.

I really like it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

ryublaze

Noob
Ninj

I like this too. Knowing F4's range, the Kabal player is going to have to dash cancel earlier and if he doesn't then you get a combo. If he does cancel nomad dash early then you'll still be relatively safe because the F4, 3 string will come out as an option select and you'll create distance so Kabal can't pressure. The 2nd dagger in Dagger Toss can also stop nomad dash but it doesn't give as much of a reward as a F4 combo.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
No character has a special move that is without weakness:

Let's break this down a little.

What I'm showing in this video is a scenario where you're anticipating a Kabal using either EX ND or normal ND to close the distance between you and him. I see Kabal players using Nomad Dash and then cancelling right in front of a character to start a block string against an opponent who's too scared to do anything but stand there and block. I disagree with that mentality - while NDC's are quite powerful, they're at their weakest at the beginning. The logic behind that statement is that when a Kabal player uses Nomad Dash, they have to decide if they're committing or cancelling it. That's a weak spot, so take advantage. If I predict you, as a Kabal player, are going to use a NDC to close the gap, I'm going to hit F4,DF3 - if you do as I predict, I win and you get blasted as shown in the video.

The flip side to that is that yes, it's risky. However, let's look at possible outcomes:

1) F4,DF3 connects as shown in the video against a committed Nomad Dash or an attempted NDC. Win!
2) Kabal instead wakes up and does a ground saw or iaGB while I stand there and do a F4. Ok, that sucks, but I only take 8%.
3) Kabal commits to the Nomad Dash and I whiff on my F4 and get combo'd.

I like #3. If #3 starts happening, that means Kabal players are being forced to choose because Nomad Dash Cancelling to close distance is no longer an easy decision.

Kabal players have it easy right now. Everyone's scared of them. Problem is, I'm not, and Skarlet isn't either. So let's start breaking down Kabal and bring his weaknesses to light, because he has them. Extrapolate what I show in the video out to other characters - any standing combo starter on any character should force Kabal to start second guessing using Nomad Dash to close the distance.

L0rdoftheFLY UsedForGlue RedRaptor10 A F0xy Grampa thoughts?

Ninja edit: I apologize - the video could be longer to see it better, but F4 is the starter on both combos.

I've been doing this for ages, tis a part of Kabal 101.
Its not a weakness on his part though.

Ninj

I've been doing this for ages, tis a part of Kabal 101.
Its not a weakness on his part though.
I'm not saying it's new, but with the rush of "omg Kabal is S++++ tier!!!!11" I wanted to point out that he isn't.

I don't understand why it's not a weakness if Kabal has to choose?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I'm not saying it's new, but with the rush of "omg Kabal is S++++ tier!!!!11" I wanted to point out that he isn't.

I don't understand why it's not a weakness if Kabal has to choose?

Once he understands that when he dashes you'll just attack, he can setup easy whiff punishes

Ninj

Once he understands that when he dashes you'll just attack, he can setup easy whiff punishes
Well right. The game is a constant flow of 'will he or won't he'. Having the option out there in the first place is key to presenting a challenge in the first place, that's all I'm saying.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Eh, based on Jared's post, Raptor's post, Lotf's post, and Khaotic Shang's post, as well as the already layed out theories...

5-5.

I don't think she should try to trade iaD with iaGb. If you get hit by the gas you will be spun for full combo. If your dagger hits him it does next to no damage and you are both back to the fire fight. I do like the idea of making him block some daggers to build meter. Skarlet can duck the gas blasts, and fire daggers. Just seven blocked double daggers = one bar of meter. Then use the meter to punish spamming. Patience wins out here.
I am just starting to try and play her but I use Grounded dagger/cancelled dagger. If you hit him he gets knocked down and you can dash/RD in. When she throws the grounded ones she goes lower then he can hit with IAGB it seems, and if you delay in between she stays low. I guess he could try to ex dash between them eat a dagger in armor and catch her on recovery? But if you get him and dash in if its from full screen you can down 3, and at the distance your at that will mess with all wake up attacks except the saws but they just knock you down, and sometimes I can bait the hurricane throw by duck blocking acting as if I am waiting on saws see them on reaction stand block and get a punish. This is online Play

Johnny2d

Ninj. I tried the kabal f4 dash check against some very worthy foes. I have to say that its a solid tactic. I ate a couple dashes when they just pulled the trigger and dashed all the way through, but I nailed my f4 combo starter several times too, and caught them in block traps at other times. Its a gamble and like Foxy said, Kabal players look for these kinds of things, but its worth it and is a very note worthy tool in this matchup.