What's new

Match-up Discussion Skarlet vs. Freddy

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I thought your Skarlet had leveled up Fly. Especially toward the end of the night you were making good reads then using her tools accordingly. Also, when you played patiently... that was probly the biggest lesson I learned and that I took away from it. I tend to get frustrated when the rush down doesn't fluster them, in turn it flusters me, I gotta play more patiently at times. Good shit :)
Your absolutely right. As the night went on I played better with her. I need about 1000 more games with her against people like atl redd and Clint and pig to make me think at the highest level with her

AK Vip3r

Ghost of Vip3r
by the way guys, this ft3 above doesnt say freddy is better. If any of you tuned into the stream last night, you would have seen that fly beat me 2-1 in Loser semi's. Thus further proving this is a solid 5-5 in my opinion.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
L0rdoftheFLY I liked the corner work at 7:05 in the video. At first I thought it was a dropped combo but then the instant dagger got him for the stand up reset. I do that kind of stuff to people but don't see it in matches that often (matches that I'm not playing in). Seeing it in your match made me realize what it looks like being on the receiving end. People have said that going for the 112 ender is usually the best option, after seeing this, I kind of like how different the down dagger reset looks and might make an attempt to use both 112 enders and down daggers in resets to add more guessing games. Its interesting.

ryublaze

Noob
L0rdoftheFLY I liked the corner work at 7:05 in the video. At first I thought it was a dropped combo but then the instant dagger got him for the stand up reset. I do that kind of stuff to people but don't see it in matches that often (matches that I'm not playing in). Seeing it in your match made me realize what it looks like being on the receiving end. People have said that going for the 112 ender is usually the best option, after seeing this, I kind of like how different the down dagger reset looks and might make an attempt to use both 112 enders and down daggers in resets to add more guessing games. Its interesting.
A person who knows how to fight Skarlet can block the down dagger everytime but it's not a bad option. I personally don't use it because it leaves u at neutral (or negative if u mess up the timing). A standing reset leaves u at positive frame advantage and gives mix-ups.

Btw, after waching the video we can see what both Skarlet and Freddy can do. I like how down dagger stops nms and how a whiffed spike lets Skarlet move in with a Red Dash slide.

AK Vip3r

Ghost of Vip3r
A person who knows how to fight Skarlet can block the down dagger everytime but it's not a bad option. I personally don't use it because it leaves u at neutral (or negative if u mess up the timing). A standing reset leaves u at positive frame advantage and gives mix-ups.

Btw, after waching the video we can see what both Skarlet and Freddy can do. I like how down dagger stops nms and how a whiffed spike lets Skarlet move in with a Red Dash slide.
I only pulled it off once in the vid but do take note I can dream drop red dash and catch you when properly timed.

AssassiN

Noob
You can use more blockstrings with EX dagger cancel on Raiden than other characters(except for Kenshi, Freddy, Liu Kang, ...).
There should be a thread that shows for every character which blockstrings can't be ducked and which blockstrings can be followed up with EX dagger cancel that can't be ducked.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
You can use more blockstrings with EX dagger cancel on Raiden than other characters(except for Kenshi, Freddy, Liu Kang, ...).
There should be a thread that shows for every character which blockstrings can't be ducked and which blockstrings can be followed up with EX dagger cancel that can't be ducked.
i think the three characters you listed have high hitboxes so she should be able to use whatever string she wants on them especially kenshi. i will have to check in practice mode tho so dont quote me on this.

ryublaze

Noob
There is this topic:
http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/character-specific-hitboxes.17109/

I agree Sonya can be quite difficult. Idk about Raiden. It may just be an online thing because it's almost impossible to punish his teleport online (for me that is).

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I'm seeing two votes for Sonya. Is everyone cool with Sonya? I'll make the thread if thats what we want. I'll wait a little bit here today and give everyone a chance to chime in.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
How much of a difference does a big hitbox make versus Skarlet and why?
I just checked. A big hitbox character allows skarlet to use all her strings without whiffing so i have 112, 114, 212, and f2121+2 all to work with instead of just b11f4, f4 checks, and other b1 starters. So now i guess i can jail big hitbox characters with 112 ex dagger cancel to f2 string and they cant interrupt it unless they neutral crouch the dagger cancel but if they start doing that mix up time. Against mid to low hitbox characters the first hit on these strings usually whiff cause they are true high hits except the b1 and f4 strings.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I just checked. A big hitbox character allows skarlet to use all her strings without whiffing so i have 112, 114, and f2121+2 all to work with instead of just b11f4 and other b1 starters. So now i guess i can jail big hitbox characters with 112 ex dagger cancel to f2 string and they cant interrupt it unless they neutral crouch the dagger cancel but if they start doing that mix up time. Against mid to low hitbox characters the first hit on these strings usually whiff cause they are true high hits except the b1 and f4 strings.
If you crouch and stand up and crouch again while blocking, you avoid EX daggers after almost all of Skarlet's major strings and block the slide in the process. You should be able to block everything else on reaction with the exception of EX down slash.

The only advantage Skarlet has on big hitbox characters is f+2. Everything else seems like a gimmick to me. I am curious what L0rdoftheFLY and Ninj have to say about this.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
If you crouch and stand up and crouch again while blocking, you avoid EX daggers after almost all of Skarlet's major strings and block the slide in the process. You should be able to block everything else on reaction with the exception of EX down slash.

The only advantage Skarlet has on big hitbox characters is f+2. Everything else seems like a gimmick to me. I am curious what L0rdoftheFLY and Ninj have to say about this.
i dont get what you are saying about crouching then standing up and crouching again. can you explain this with an example.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
i dont get what you are saying about crouching then standing up and crouching again. can you explain this with an example.
If Freddy crouch-blocks 1,1,2 and immediately stand-blocks the EX dagger (after 1,1,2 or 1,1,4, for example), the EX dagger magically whiffs. There is no reason to release block at any time if your character is a big hitbox character.

Outside of combos, Skarlet has no EX dagger mix ups because everything can be "fuzzy-blocked" with the technique above. And the only advantage she has on big hitbox characters is the f+2 string.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
If Freddy crouch-blocks 1,1,2 and immediately crouch-stands the EX dagger (after 1,1,2 or 1,1,4, for example), the EX dagger magically whiffs. There is no reason to release block at any time if your character is a big hitbox character.

Outside of combos, Skarlet has no EX dagger mix ups because everything can be "fuzzy-blocked" with the technique above. And the only advantage she has on big hitbox characters is the f+2 string.
by crouch-stand you mean let go of block right? If so i call that neutral crouch. I stated that earlier about doing that. But how many people neutral crouch once they see you do a string? If you start doing that this is where the real mix ups start happening. Say you like to duck alot, b1f3 is an overhead. After you eat a few of these you will start stand blocking when you see a b1 started. This allows me to do b11 ex dagger or just b1 ex dagger to f2 string cause you are afraid of losing that 9% life every time. With 112 and 114 strings, i only use 112 with dagger cancels, but i can just do 112 and 114 naked slide then do it again until you decide to do something. This is the stuff i was stating earlier. Until people stop the current stuff, there is no reason to bring out the advanced techniques. I have alot more of these.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
If Freddy crouch-blocks 1,1,2 and immediately stand-blocks the EX dagger (after 1,1,2 or 1,1,4, for example), the EX dagger magically whiffs. There is no reason to release block at any time if your character is a big hitbox character.

This sounds like new tech I havnt seen. If you have tech that magically makes ex diggers wiff while stand blocking please make a video and show it.