What's new

Match-up Discussion Skarlet vs. Freddy

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I can respect this. I feel like skarlet is the kind of character that does not lose to top tiers...even kabal. But that said Im not saying she wins all those MU either. She is a character like reptile, Lao, or raiden where she has many 5-5 against the best in this game. That said, she doesn't have many 7-3 MU against low tiers either. But I don't feel like she has many bad or...god forbid I say this...ANY bad MU.

My experience against Viper was very educational. He may be a little hasty at times but let me clarify a few points Dave because despite the differences in vipers and your effective styles, there are things that I will do in this MU that I wouldn't normally do in others.

1) like has been said, staying on the ground leads to frame traps and gives Freddy the chance to do that he wants
2) stay to they air and red dash when you hit the ground in order to make Freddy guess where to put the ground claws.
3) since Freddy is a reactionary character I have to assume he will attack as I come down from the air or as I try to jump as that's the only time I'm vulnerable
4) if I land without being hit and you go for a spike, my armor is already eating through it.
5) if I touch you with a combo...you are going to lose AT LEAST 50%. If you guess wrong once or twice if could end up 80 or even 100% gone and all it takes is one touch with a block string.
6) Freddy may have combos that are just as damaging as her combos, but the follow up after is nothing compared to hers. The reset he has (f421 ex claw, tele 50/50 b2 or b3 can be fuzzy guarded). Her follow ups are the best in the game. And against Freddy are at their fullest potential.
7) down dagger is soooooo good against Freddy. It's like a csz dive kick but for less damage and puts her at around +25 depending on distance and height...either way it's enough for a free follow up or f4 check...maybe a slide.

Now if I'm full screen away and have a bar or two of meter, I won't hesitate to use it with a slide to get in. You may call it a waste, but I see it as avoiding Freddy's most effective spacing and getting into MY most effective spacing.

Take these points as you want but to me it makes me feel as if I'm in control most of the time. I feel as if at any point I can take the match. Does that make it her favor? I would say yes but I understand why you hesitate.

I mean...it would suck if the character I dropped could beat the character I picked up. ;)

Lol I'm joking no but seriously. I think we will be forced to say 5-5 until reality takes over for theory. But in my head I'll always feel like skarlet has a little more control over the pace of the match.
This is a very well outlined gameplan, and definitely in line with what I've been finding in my matches against freddy in the last few days.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
L0rdoftheFLY, I am still sticking to the point that I made on the first page: if Freddy can compete with Kabal, he can certainly compete with Skarlet. Kabal can do many of the same things Skarlet can but better, faster, and without any super meter. I do not think either you or Ninj understands how good Kabal is at a high level. I do not think either one of you plays any high level Kabal players on a consistent basis. That is why you guys make silly comments like "Skarlet will dethrone Kabal". She will never dethrone Kabal considering he almost beats half the cast 7:3. I do not want to get off subject, but the burden of proof is on you guys, not the Freddy or Kabal players. If you guys want respect for the character, you will have to do more than theory fight and make youtube videos.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
L0rdoftheFLY, I am still sticking to the point that I made on the first page: if Freddy can compete with Kabal, he can certainly compete with Skarlet. Kabal can do many of the same things Skarlet can but better, faster, and without any super meter. I do not think either you or Ninj understands how good Kabal is at a high level. I do not think either one of you plays any high level Kabal players on a consistent basis. That is why you guys make silly comments like "Skarlet will dethrone Kabal". She will never dethrone Kabal considering he almost beats half the cast 7:3. I do not want to get off subject, but the burden of proof is on you guys, not the Freddy or Kabal players. If you guys want respect for the character, you will have to do more than theory fight and make youtube videos.
We will Dave. Part of us saying she will dethrone kabal is to get the community excited and discussing the character. It has worked to an extent and in the past month...more info has been discovered about skarlet than any other character.

-Ninj is going to EVO
-I've been using specifically skarlet in locals
-emp skar has been using her in Houston and going toe to toe with guys like Cat who should not be under rated.

It's happening...patients. Her and kabal are too different to compare though. Let's leave hm out of this

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Besides, no one is saying Skarlet v Freddy / Kabal is 6-4 (yet). Like Lotf said, we're generating hype.

PS I'm going to win Evo using only her in pools/top8. If anyone watched Mosp last night body that Sektor player who didn't know the matchup, it'll be like that x10.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Johnny2d

L0rdoftheFLYThe burden of proof is on you guys
This statement is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, but its also the reason we started these threads in the Skarlet community. We know that in order to prove anything, we have to be armed with as much knowledge as possible in any and every match. The information you have shared has given this thread a lot of value and will help people understand the mindset of players on both sides of the match. I for one really appreciate all of the posts.

No one is trying to win the fight in a forum, its gotta be proven irl. At the same time, Skarlet fans and players want to see her do well so we get hype. This game still has peaks and valleys to discover as a whole, and if we keep working hard on our own characters, while collaborating with masters of other characters, there is room for growth.

Mosp

Noob
Besides, no one is saying Skarlet v Freddy / Kabal is 6-4 (yet). Like Lotf said, we're generating hype.

PS I'm going to win Evo using only her in pools/top8. If anyone watched Mosp last night body that Sektor player who didn't know the matchup, it'll be like that x10.

Hey I got a shoutout :D

Ninj

Hey I got a shoutout :D
You rocked that Sektor - your play resembled my Skarlet. The question I have next is, how do you play vs someone who knows the matchup? ;)

Ninj

Possibly

It's online so...ehh

$20 says I get bodied
Oh..online, el oh el. I can record if you want me in on it in a private koth. Lemme know, I won't take offense if you guys are doing private matches.

Johnny2d

Oh..online, el oh el. I can record if you want me in on it in a private koth. Lemme know, I won't take offense if you guys are doing private matches.

An all Skarlet king of the hill would be something to behold. I would get bodied but would learn a lot ;)

Mosp

Noob
You rocked that Sektor - your play resembled my Skarlet. The question I have next is, how do you play vs someone who knows the matchup? ;)

Lol thanks and I can show you how I play against someone who knows the matchup if you want. I try to teach everyone I play how to counter what I'm doing cuz I know that's the only way I'll get better as a player and not do dumb stuff. My training partner ( Brownie ) knows how to fight against her pretty well so I think I should be fine when that happens.

Mosp

Noob
Mosp...we play tomorrow night. Clear your calandar.
I blame you that we haven't played since I was trying like last week when you were online but you declined me :( Lol but when are you gonna be on? I'm gonna be all around town these next few days playing casuals with everyone that is coming for MLG, can't wait to rep Skarlet and make everyone proud.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
i think in the next month i'll be able to use a 25mbps internet, maybe we can set a time to play together online, besides i never had online experience before so lag will possibly destroy my skills

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game

Don't sweat it...I'll record from my iPad plus it's on ps3

I blame you that we haven't played since I was trying like last week when you were online but you declined me :( Lol but when are you gonna be on? I'm gonna be all around town these next few days playing casuals with everyone that is coming for MLG, can't wait to rep Skarlet and make everyone proud.
I know man. I'm so busy right now for work...huge project happening.

But I'll be on when ever you can be. Either late, or mid afternoon is best I guess.
We need to run all sorts of MU...

My kabal vs yor skar
Your skar vs my NW
Your NW vs my skar
Plus many more...

Just mind you...I'm pretty free online broseph. And I have no mic so call me or text me so we can communicate during games.
770-656-6323

Mosp

Noob
Don't sweat it...I'll record from my iPad plus it's on ps3

I know man. I'm so busy right now for work...huge project happening.

But I'll be on when ever you can be. Either late, or mid afternoon is best I guess.
We need to run all sorts of MU...

My kabal vs yor skar
Your skar vs my NW
Your NW vs my skar
Plus many more...

Just mind you...I'm pretty free online broseph. And I have no mic so call me or text me so we can communicate during games.
770-656-6323
Got it man, I'll be sure to run some of those matches. Gotta bring out that rusty NW lol and some of my chars are pretty free online too so don't worry about that.

Johnny2d

Great gamEs viper. Always a pleasure.

I say 5-5
I thought your Skarlet had leveled up Fly. Especially toward the end of the night you were making good reads then using her tools accordingly. Also, when you played patiently... that was probly the biggest lesson I learned and that I took away from it. I tend to get frustrated when the rush down doesn't fluster them, in turn it flusters me, I gotta play more patiently at times. Good shit :)