What's new

Skarlet General Discussion Thread

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
Alright, I must say this Skarlet game-play is hellish fun! I started the beta with her and finding all the tools to take care of any situation. Just playing for under a little of 3.5 hours and I'm in love with her range and pokes. Her sweep range is amazing; along with the range of her Overhead swing, you can keep the opponent at the right distance If she suppose to be a zoner, I'm sure am not playing her like one.

This is my current load-out for her:

Name: Blood Succubi
Play Type: She gets you by the corner and sucks away your life...(Pun intended)
Abilities:
1. Red mist : This is used for corner reset and also keeping myself safe from when both players life is almost drain. Nobody wants to lose to a DOT damage.
2.Red Rain: this makes her damage go up even more. So by the corner along with my mist, I'm doing double damage plus DOT damage. Also, this is great too zone with; alas Quan Chi Sorcerer style.
3. Third is either Cell Siphon or Dagger Dance. The parry is good for catching a few players however, I do find the Health stealing Siphon a great ability to catch me a win after being "Final blowed" by Baraka feet and gut grabs.

I notice all uppercuts are pretty good at anti-air and wakeup? This makes the Armor wakeups pretty useless so far, but I need training mode for further analysis. Her B3,4 string is great range also, along with standing 3 whip whice is a mid I believe. So this chick have just about all you need, plus I didn't even mention her teleport! Yep, she is Wifey for sure!

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Blood Port is awesome. Being able to teleport next to the opponent is strong in its own right, if you make reads or react to projectiles you can get in and possibly get advantage. That's a big deal if you are down a life lead or will be in a matchup where it's difficult to zone. I don't know if Baraka and Scorpion are the best matchups for that but it's gonna be useful in that regard. Further more, if you lock them down with projectiles you can use it to pressure the opponent. I particularly find this useful with the "Blood Flow" ability that allows you to slow/speed up Blood Ball similar to Reptile's Force Ball but you need to use meter. Occasional teleports to follow up slow Blood Balls is a nice tool.

But the real utility comes from the amplified version, which works similar to Raiden's teleport in Injustice 2 when he had his trait buff. You can teleport about half screen away to the other side of the opponent by doing DBF, which allows you keep real estate behind you and you could possibly use it to escape at the end of your block strings. You can also do an amplified version in place with DBU, which has less utility but the super underrated aspect of teleports like this is that the opponent is forced to watch out for it. Throwing out a teleport in place for a bar of defensive meter may seem bad but you can really keep the opponent guessing and make it stressful for them. Especially if you use it sparingly and mix it up between your different options. All and all I think Blood Port is a very strong move and I think it will be a very appealing ability in a lot of matchups.

I've been running Blood Port with Blood Flow which is the aformentioned Blood Ball buff and I think it's a nice loadout. Blood Flow makes her zoning much strong and there's some nice cohesion between with slow Blood Ball and the different versions of teleport. And again the ability to control where you are on the stage is super valuable, which makes her base zoning game(on top of Blood Flow) all the better.

Last edited:

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I just played the best Skarlet I've seen so far. I'm uploading a near two hour set to YouTube right now.

Anyone know who goes by cascine- ?? It's gotta be either Sonic Fox or a tester for NRS lol ... ridiculous.

If you give it some time, it will eventually be 720p

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

F2 as an AA seems to only really work on their way down as it doesn't have a seemingly good vertical hitbox.

F21 is a great tripguard, however.

Blood Port is awesome. Being able to teleport next to the opponent is strong in its own right, if you make reads or react to projectiles you can get in and possibly get advantage. That's a big deal if you are down a life lead or will be in a matchup where it's difficult to zone. I don't know if Baraka and Scorpion are the best matchups for that but it's gonna be useful in that regard. Further more, if you lock them down with projectiles you can use it to pressure the opponent. I particularly find this useful with the "Blood Flow" ability that allows you to slow/speed up Blood Ball similar to Reptile's Force Ball but you need to use meter. Occasional teleports to follow up slow Blood Balls is a nice tool.

But the real utility comes from the amplified version, which works similar to Raiden's teleport in Injustice 2 when he had his trait buff. You can teleport about half screen away to the other side of the opponent by doing DBF, which allows you keep real estate behind you and you could possibly use it to escape at the end of your block strings. You can also do an amplified version in place with DBU, which has less utility but the super underrated aspect of teleports like this is that the opponent is forced to watch out for it. Throwing out a teleport in place for a bar of defensive meter may seem bad but you can really keep the opponent guessing and make it stressful for them. Especially if you use it sparingly and mix it up between your different options. All and all I think Blood Port is a very strong move and I think it will be a very appealing ability in a lot of matchups.

I've been running Blood Port with Blood Flow which is the aformentioned Blood Ball buff and I think it's a nice loadout. Blood Flow makes her zoning much strong and there's some nice cohesion between with slow Blood Ball and the different versions of teleport. And again the ability to control where you are on the stage is super valuable, which makes her base zoning game(on top of Blood Flow) all the better.
Same feeling here with same loadout. I'm worried flawless block will make zoning unvoable

Adus

Always learning
Can someone bless me with some tips for taking on Scorpions? I’m getting farmed right now, I can’t do anything without getting punished nor do I seem to be able to punish anything they do or keep them away from me

BUFFNSCUFF

Scrub-Lord Extraordinaire
So I've hit about 150 games of Skarlet with a positive win-rate, definitely one of my favorite NRS characters. I'm not the most knowledgeable player so I might not be able to answer in depth stuff but if anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them.

I played with Siphon/Teleport/Parry for most of my time.

My thoughts so far on Skarlet and MK11 in general:

Utilizing wake up options and flip out correctly account for at least 20% of my wins. If you aren't thinking about them and making sure you know when to use them you're going to get bopped by a more knowledgeable player.

Siphon, while a SUPER punishable ability on any whiff, seems like a necessary tool and imo should be in your layout no matter your approach to winning. 212, 212, 44, Siphon is just such a useful tool, especially with MB for that juicy heal. If you read movement midscreen or they throw out something and you can punish it with Siphon which puts you in an oki scenario, where you can back up, throw, quick poke, or parry. Very fun ability.

Make sure to end as many of your strings in tentacle as you can, it pushes them to a range where their short attacks will probably whiff and you can utilize your long range low/high strings to keep them guessing.

Make sure you're paying attention to your health total. Skarlet doesn't have a lot of need for aggressive meter so the instinct is to just always meterburn your combo enders, but I actually ran into a situation where it was counter-intuitive. I had fatal blow, healed off combo ender, and it put me above the threshold for fatal blow, but not above kill percent, so it effectively limited my kill option without putting me to a point where healing matters.

Baraka CAN be annoying, especially with how fast and damaging his projectile is, but with efficient utilization of the ground blood I think it would become an easy matchup over time. Tentacle control is your best friend here. As long as he doesn't have the overhead grab equipped it seemed like there's very little he can do to pressure you from mid-range where you can keep him at bay between your long spear low pokes while also threatening siphon. You can punish chop-chop if they for some reason choose to use it with b1,2 for the Krushing blow. If he starts projectile spamming try to time your teleport with it or your ground blood.

Scorpion definitely is the harder matchup in the stress-test. I think it's simply a bad match-up because of teleport, but there are ways to shore it up. There are the obvious things like learn how to block his strings, which generally consist of blocking low and reaction blocking high in my experience. His double overhead sword slice is full combo punishable on block. I enjoyed utilizing Skarlet's parry in this matchup, especially since a lot of scorpions like going hard on the tp or skeleton rush ability. Make sure to save defensive for flip out, if you flip out of his combo right in time for the second spear you get a full combo punish.

As I said, I'm not necessarily the most developed player and any input on things you think I'm approaching the wrong way is appreciated, this will be the first NRS game I'm gonna grind and try to get good on.

Sorry for the kinda rambly wall of words but thought I'd just write out all my thoughts.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Can someone bless me with some tips for taking on Scorpions? I’m getting farmed right now, I can’t do anything without getting punished nor do I seem to be able to punish anything they do or keep them away from me
They'll bait you in blocking low then go high and vice versa, if they jump in hit them with a F3. If they dare throw a spear in your face go for a full combo 212*212*4 Cell Syphon, get some health back. Poke then with F4,3 (low starter), end with any special to get health. if they turtle, overhead them and then when they learn and block standing, grab 'em.

Last edited:

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Anyone have any advice for the Baraka MU? I know that you can zone him out easily enough, but what are the options for when he gets in? Feels like I can't punish anything he throws out unless it's Chop-Chop.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Anyone have any advice for the Baraka MU? I know that you can zone him out easily enough, but what are the options for when he gets in? Feels like I can't punish anything he throws out unless it's Chop-Chop.
What setup are you using and facing? I find it almost impossible for Baraka to get close if you have him at range. Though when he does you gotta know his strings so you're not holding buttons when you can FLB or poke out. Space away from him when you get your plus frames on pokes. The damage he hits you with is the real deal though. There's no way around it.

I have the most success keeping him at Bay and watching out for his main string mostly.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
What setup are you using and facing? I find it almost impossible for Baraka to get close if you have him at range. Though when he does you gotta know his strings so you're not holding buttons when you can FLB or poke out. Space away from him when you get your plus frames on pokes. The damage he hits you with is the real deal though. There's no way around it.

I have the most success keeping him at Bay and watching out for his main string mostly.
The build I went with was Blood Siphon, her Parry, and Blood Klot specifically for Barakas so that they can't special cancel into their combos.

The Baraka I fought that had me questioning my options was one that got a LOT of mileage out of his double-bladed lunge that gores you and ends in a punch. It's very fast and has a lot more range than I ever expect and feels unpunishable. But you're right, maybe I'm not zoning enough. Anything past that, I just need time in the lab so I can figure out which strings I can Flawless Block like you mentioned.

I was just really salty at the time lol.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The build I went with was Blood Siphon, her Parry, and Blood Klot specifically for Barakas so that they can't special cancel into their combos.

The Baraka I fought that had me questioning my options was one that got a LOT of mileage out of his double-bladed lunge that gores you and ends in a punch. It's very fast and has a lot more range than I ever expect and feels unpunishable. But you're right, maybe I'm not zoning enough. Anything past that, I just need time in the lab so I can figure out which strings I can Flawless Block like you mentioned.

I was just really salty at the time lol.
Hah yeah I hear ya. I dunno what's up with the charge though. I assume it's supposed to be punished, I can D2 after, but if I try to S2 or S1 combo there's like a weird block stun and I can't punish it. Nrs please lol.

I'm gonna make a post on this likely tomorrow, but my main set against Baraka is the 2 Slot Blood Ball, and Retch. Man it makes Baraka a statue if he's farther than half screen. The MB Slow ball with occasional fast ball makes it infinitely harder for him to get around the overall zoning tools, and the Retch is such a great check to keep them from being comfortable. Was able to zone out a couple of really solid Baraka users, but I did have issues when they got up close or in the corner. That damage he has is just monstrous. I think he struggles massively against this set up though. That lone fireball and walking doesn't cut it.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
More combos:

Corner:

44~BF3 Amp, 124~DB4B - 316 dmg

212, 44~DB3 Amp - 255 dmg (Restand)

B34, 44~DB3 Amp - 247 dmg (Restand)

Boiling Point: (Use far version for midscreen, close version for corner.)

44~BF1F - 208 dmg/289 dmg amplified

212, 44~BF1F - 263 dmg/325 dmg amplified (Similar with B34 starter)

Red Mist: (Restand, this move replaces Blood Tongue)

124~DB4 - 158 dmg

212, F43~DB4 - 237 dmg

44~BF3 Amp, 124~DB4 - 312 dmg (Corner only)

212, 212, 44~DB2 - 295 dmg (Corner only)

E

Eldriken

Y'know, I just realized that I rarely ever amplify -shit-.

I'm gonna give Blood Ball and Retch a go and see how it does.

How do you guys tend to zone? Not just the Baraka MU, but in general overall.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Y'know, I just realized that I rarely ever amplify -shit-.

I'm gonna give Blood Ball and Retch a go and see how it does.

How do you guys tend to zone? Not just the Baraka MU, but in general overall.
Blood trail + L1 (it gets them stuck to the ground) * blood ball * blood projectile (can't remember the name).

If they jump use blood ball and if they block high use blood trail, amplify to get them stuck and blood ball/blood projectile them. It'll make it hard for them to get in, trying to avoid these two. Blood ball is slower and the other one is quicker. When they feel safe, blood trail again.

:DOGE