What's new

Question Skarlet Changes in Patch?

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Isnt me but does lag really affect her performance online, esp koth? :/
Tips?
This issue isn't Skarlet specific - this is all dependent on the player's ability to slow down their inputs in order to match the amount of lag in the match and affects every character in the roster. Some more than others, true - I would say Sub Zero's ability to play "well" in a laggy match is far easier than for a Skarlet player - but it can be overcome in my opinion. It also kind of depends on how much lag we're talking about ;)

PonyLove

Noob
As far as I know she was only banned for tournaments that occurred very near to her release, as well as the fact that just after her release she was shown and acknowledged by NRS to have bugs and non-intended interactions with her moves. These seem like better reasons to ban than match up considerations.

In fact, I don't think match up is a reason to ban or not ban a character, unless that character is totally dominating vs all other characters, and sometimes not even then. Skarlet is a tough matchup for Sub-Zero, but Kabal is a tough matchup for Sonya, should Kabal be banned?

RoGE

Noob
characters don't get banned for being "extremely unfair" in certain matchups :doh:
Then why was she banned? also, why is ST Akuma banned for that matter when he has completely dominates certain characters because of his Air fireball?

MK( could not handle Skarlets daggers like ST couldn't handle Akuma's fireballs

Ninj

Then why was she banned? also, why is ST Akuma banned for that matter when he has completely dominates certain characters because of his Air fireball?

She was banned for 2 legitimate reasons:

1) She was a relatively new addition right before this year's Evo tournament, making her unfair in that the players wouldn't have had a reasonable amount of time to work on their matchup strategies.

2) Her back throw did 17% damage for no particular reason

Mostly it's #1, she was too new. There's no legitimate reason for Skarlet, or any of the DLC, to be banned at this point in time from any tournament.

Ninj

She was banned at devastation along with Freddy because the patch just came out.
That makes no sense to me, but I'm not the one running the tournaments. Maybe one of the people from Devestation could shine some light on the reasoning why.

PonyLove

Noob

ST Akuma is banned for more than just the air fireball, though that is the most obvious problem he has. The real issue is not that ST Akuma is better than most characters, but that he is better than ALL characters, ALL the time.

Here is a partial list of abilities that ST Akuma has:

Air fireball - The game was not meant to be able to handle this move. This move alone prevents about half of the characters from doing anything at all. The ones that can sometimes get past it are still at a huge disadvantage because of the amount of space it controls.

His ducking kicks have invulnerable legs
He cannot be dizzed
His hurricane kick is invulnerable until it has the ability to hit something, and can combo/juggle into into itself
He can use red fireballs to keep you in blockstun the entire match
His teleport is invulnerable

The list goes on.

ST Akuma is banned because he breaks the game. It would be like playing MK with a version of Scorpion that has ten times normal hitpoints, unlimited super meter, and can combo spears into more spears, forever. Akuma is worse than that, even.

Comparing pre-patch Skarlet to ST Akuma is comparing apples to battleships. She needed a little work, but there were plenty of characters that could deal with her. For example, Smoke could shut down her dagger game totally.

(note: he is only soft banned in Japan)

Drayn0

Noob
That makes no sense to me, but I'm not the one running the tournaments. Maybe one of the people from Devestation could shine some light on the reasoning why.
Makes little sense to me as well, but from what I heard she was banned