What's new

Should throw breaks be easier?

1) more frames to tech and/or 2) take away 50/50 of throws. Personally I wouldn’t want the latter, but I do think the tech window could be a couple frames longer. What do you think?
They actually are easier lol. Play vanilla MK9 and try to throw tech.

To answer the question, no I think they’re fine. If you pay attention to where you are in relation to the corner you’ll know which way to tech.

Maybe I don't understand throw escapes correctly but mu understanding is one button is for forward theow and one is for back. What confused me in game is that depend on what side you are on it gets confusing. I would like to see the commands be universal to Left side of the screen or right side.

Example, no matter which side you are on, if you think they are going to throw you to the right side of the screen, press 2, if to the left press 1.

Remove the need to release block.
Soulcalibur has the exact same system and you can mash in block but still have to take the 50-50.

System works great, it doesn't make teching throws braindead.
Soul Cal has very fast mids and somewhat visible lows to enforce the mixup(with some very fast short ranged lows). The whole point of making it so you can't block and tech is so the low/throw mixup is live, which the game needs because generic overheads like hops are pretty slow. Otherwise crouch block just gets even better and the game is even more focused on poke wars.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Many of the bottom and mid tier characters rely heavily on throws to open up their opponents. Any nerf to throws is also a nerf to these characters. Hopefully the first patch will help a few of these characters, but until then, I’d rather not see throws nerfed.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Releasing block to tech throws is super dangerous, if you read the throw, rather go for a d2 KB punish.
You actually only have to let go of block to tech during the tech window. Meaning if you’re blocking and they go for a throw, in the tech window you can let go of block and tech the throw. You just can’t be holding the block button when you tech a throw.

Maybe I don't understand throw escapes correctly but mu understanding is one button is for forward theow and one is for back. What confused me in game is that depend on what side you are on it gets confusing. I would like to see the commands be universal to Left side of the screen or right side.

Example, no matter which side you are on, if you think they are going to throw you to the right side of the screen, press 2, if to the left press 1.
F. throw - 2/4 to tech
B. throw - 1/3 to tech
Can’t block while attempting to tech.

Yeah it’s weird. It makes forward throws much stronger. Because people mash 1 a lot, mostly trying to D1. So if you go for a back throw they will tech it more often than a forward throw because of the d1 mash.
This is a fact! We use Scorpion so the f. Throw is king anyway lol.

F. throw - 2/4 to tech
B. throw - 1/3 to tech
Can’t block while attempting to tech.
Thats my issue. It would be a lot easier to remember 1/3 techs throws to the right and 2/4 techs throws to the left. In the heat of a match with cross ups and teleports its hard for my brain to try to guess forward/back in relation to my position verses left/right of screen.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Thats my issue. It would be a lot easier to remember 1/3 techs throws to the right and 2/4 techs throws to the left. In the heat of a match with cross ups and teleports its hard for my brain to try to guess forward/back in relation to my position verses left/right of screen.
Not saying that it isn't valid that you think about it that way, but I would guess most people would find your method way more confusing. Because the meta game of throws is actually pretty logical depending on screen positioning. When my back is to the corner I am more likely to tech forward throw, when I am pushing someone else into the corner I am thinking about teching back throw. I am rarely thinking about if I am standing on the right or left, only about the relative position to the corner.