What's new

Should throw breaks be easier?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Currently, a throw kounter is breakable and it shouldn’t be.

BUT

D2 should be throw invul on start-up. I’ve read so many throw attempts with d2 only to be kounter thrown.

AND

If you punish a whiffed throw with a hop attack, you should get a KB.

This is probably one of the best posts I've ever seen on this site. Lol
but he's missing the point. In this thread when ppl say a throw is "50/50" we're talking about when a throw has already happened, and then the guess is between a back throw or forward throw. Maybe there should be a different term: "tech guess" or something. ALSO as far as I can tell you cannot tech both by pressing 1+2. I don't know where people are getting that.

Auron

Look, it has begun.
If throws were broken by one button they would have to rework the entire game, many characters rely on the 50/50 as a way to mixup or open up an opponent in this game and it's fine as it is.

The tech window seems a bit short but I don't know how many frames it really is to have an opinion. I feel like I'm breaking or d2'ing enough throws as it is though.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I really hope you guys watched the summit and could see the players teching throws all the time lol.

BolverkGTM

Dad Beard Connoisseur
Something that sort of bugs me with a lot of 2D fighters is that throws are too easy to tech. The window is super huge or there's some sort of option select that vastly hurts the threat of throws, it's always something like that. I've always been keen on having multiple throw techs, it makes the interaction more difficult to have an option select. Throws should be threatening and I think MK11 handles it pretty well. I'd say leave them alone.

grandabx

The Flameater
Something that sort of bugs me with a lot of 2D fighters is that throws are too easy to tech. The window is super huge or there's some sort of option select that vastly hurts the threat of throws, it's always something like that. I've always been keen on having multiple throw techs, it makes the interaction more difficult to have an option select. Throws should be threatening and I think MK11 handles it pretty well. I'd say leave them alone.
All they have to do is restrict buttons when initiated. That way a failed tech occurs if a player tries to option-select.

BolverkGTM

Dad Beard Connoisseur
All they have to do is restrict buttons when initiated. That way a failed tech occurs if a player tries to option-select.
That's actually pretty much what MK11 does to a degree. There's even Krushing Blows that involve failed throw techs and they are VERY strong. I think the way MK11 handles it is great.

Rorshock

Noob
Throws seem fine. Teching is a "50/50," but you also have the option of neutral ducking to avoid the tech entirely.

On the subject of execution barriers, I've heard some people talking about how it's difficult for them to do some of the strings like Erron Black's 21112 string on regular controllers where they need to work on mashing buttons together and stuff and it comes out inconsistently, but it's quite easy for them on more expensive specialized controllers. If this is the case, it sounds to be like a fairly shitty design since it seems to create kind of a pay to win system where those who can afford better equipment have easier access to the more advanced moves and mechanics in the game.

Do my concerns there make sense to anyone else or am I looking at it wrong and/or making a big deal out of nothing?

EDIT - This was meant to be in the Execution Barriers thread

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Do my concerns there make sense to anyone else or am I looking at it wrong and/or making a big deal out of nothing?
My first reaction would be that you're making a big deal out of nothing. Some controllers might be better quality, and might make certain moves/strings easier, but I've never heard of an input that was so difficult it could only be done readily by using a more expensive controller. At the very least, it was certainly never an intention by NRS to create some type of hardware "pay to win" thing. That's not how they design their games.