What's new

Should throw breaks be easier?

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I’d say 90% people throw forward. Almost all the time in the corner... it’s not that bad.
I am just getting started playing seriously because i was on wifi for a while, so I am not playing particularly good players yet persay. But I was just focusing on forward versus backward throw and jotting down notes because I play jacqui so throw tech is even more important than most. And yeah numbers wise it was about 90 percent forward throw. I think somewhat players are just walking up to throw and just keep holding forward lol.

I like the tech system the way it is, I just wish It would still be implemented on block.
They would pretty much have to rework the entire game probably for that. Since buttons don't come out while holding block there would be no reason not to just mash a throw tech while blocking as an option select. A lot of characters just literally couldn't open you up. Not saying that I am in love with this throw tech system but I think we definitely have to work within the parameters we have unfortunately.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I am just getting started playing seriously because i was on wifi for a while, so I am not playing particularly good players yet persay. But I was just focusing on forward versus backward throw and jotting down notes because I play jacqui so throw tech is even more important than most. And yeah numbers wise it was about 90 percent forward throw. I think somewhat players are just walking up to throw and just keep holding forward lol.

They would pretty much have to rework the entire game probably for that. Since buttons don't come out while holding block there would be no reason not to just mash a throw tech while blocking as an option select. A lot of characters just literally couldn't open you up. Not saying that I am in love with this throw tech system but I think we definitely have to work within the parameters we have unfortunately.
Flawless block currently works while in block. The system would be somewhat already in place.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Flawless block currently works while in block. The system would be somewhat already in place.
But I am saying that the way a lot of characters are designed and the offense in general would have to fundamentally changed. I'll take my main Jacqui because she is a great example and I know her. Her stagger offense just kinda falls apart if you don't have to let go of block to tech throws. She would just have to very very slowly chip you out by mixing up complete string versus cancel, and without the threat of throw the risk reward of letting go of block is insane. She can't shimmy nearly as effectively because you don't have to commit to teching the throw. There is no immediate risk of damage(beyond the 50 50 of the throw I guess but throwing out of the corner would be not great), so players would be incentivized to just sit in crouch block until they have a concrete read to press a button. The only reliable ways to open people up for damage would be overhead low mixups and the throw 50 50. Which is exactly what we don't want lol

EDIT: To simplify because I suck at talking about this apparently. Say the stagger is f31 vs f31 cancel. Without the threat of throw because you can tech while holding block the risk reward is pretty heavily in the defender's favor because holding block means taking like a percent or two of chip and getting to guess again, so even with however many reps one poke out is going to even the field if not be a straight up advantage depending on the character and their ability to create space and or zone. So the one on offense has to keep going for the stagger to try to keep up damage wise making the read to poke out even easier. The mind game completely falls apart.

Last edited:

trufenix

bye felicia
Yeah it’s weird. It makes forward throws much stronger. Because people mash 1 a lot, mostly trying to D1. So if you go for a back throw they will tech it more often than a forward throw because of the d1 mash.
There's actually some fascinating statistical analysis to be done here because while the 1 break happens more often because of how often you're pressing it for other things, the back throw itself is probably used often in mash situations because you get a back throw from neutral, back and down directions.

I like throws in this game. I could be better at teching but it’s definitely easier in this game then INJ2 and MKX. While the 50/50 aspect is kind of lame, it’s not really a true 50/50 with KBs attached. There’s a mind game in there.

Also, shout out to the people in this thread saying SC6 has a good throw break system. Throws are pointless in that game. After you figure out how they work, it’s really hard to NOT tech almost every time.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
  1. Watch for the throw animation
  2. Input D+12
  3. Watch your opponent freak out as you can now tech front & back throws.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Just like your offense, you should always mix up your defense anyway. Like most members are saying already, preventing the throw in close distance is the rule of thumb. Unless your playing against a heavy juggle damage character, burn your defensive meters on the wakeups if someone goes in consistently for a throw in rushdown. It's going to put you right back in the game to rush or try to catch a sweep anyway. If you're playing a high level player that catches on to those wakeup attacks when they're going back in for the rush, then you can resort to your ducking normals to either reset or push them away. (D1 once then stand up and rush, or D1/D4 to sweep then rush over the top of them)

As far as changing the throw tech, I love the balance in the gameplay mechanics the way it is because I haven't seen many turtles at all. If you're able to tech throws while blocking then you're going to start seeing people rhythm blocking 50% of the match if you rush them consistently.

Thats my issue. It would be a lot easier to remember 1/3 techs throws to the right and 2/4 techs throws to the left. In the heat of a match with cross ups and teleports its hard for my brain to try to guess forward/back in relation to my position verses left/right of screen.
I feel you lol. I’m just so used to it being this way.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Throws are fine the way they are. How fucking easy do you want them to be. There is already a large input window just don't hold block. If it gets nerfed many characters will become unviable. Maybe allow the block button but you should guess between forward/back throw.

Many things counter throw, low profiled, jump, walk back after poke, U3 wakeup, duck.
Then on top of all that, you get a second chance to tech it. Many characters lack the tools that the top tiers have and it's thier only mix other than a low, taking away throw guess will make it worthless so any scrub could tech on reaction.
Wonder why no one bitched about the 50/50 throws in X? Suddenly it's a problem now!

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
I'm not wild about throws in MK11 essentially being 50/50s. NRS should look into making the forward/backward grab animations different from each other (even if only slightly.) That way it'd be possible for skilled players to identify which throw is being performed and react accordingly. Tekken's left hand/right hand system is a perfect example.

Last edited:
I'm not wild about throws in MK11 essentially being 50/50s. NRS should look into making the forward/backward grab animations different from each other (even if only slightly.) That way it'd be possible for skilled players to identify which throw is being performed and react accordingly. Tekken's left hand/right hand system is a perfect example.
I like this idea

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
Yeah it’s weird. It makes forward throws much stronger. Because people mash 1 a lot, mostly trying to D1. So if you go for a back throw they will tech it more often than a forward throw because of the d1 mash.
Just wondering what ppl who play with controler prefer for throw command itself. 1+3 or just L2 (throw button) ?

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
  1. Watch for the throw animation
  2. Input D+12
  3. Watch your opponent freak out as you can now tech front & back throws.
You release the block and press 1+2 and it works for both throws? Havent labbed that yet. Also, is pressing Down before 1+2 necessary? I could press 1 or 2 and it techs.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Also, shout out to the people in this thread saying SC6 has a good throw break system. Throws are pointless in that game. After you figure out how they work, it’s really hard to NOT tech almost every time.
LOL

You will not tech every time because it's a 50-50. Astaroth would be garbage tier if this was true.

Having to let go of block to tech is a stupid decision that you will not find in any other fighting game ever.

Imagine street fighter needing you to not hold back to tech a throw LOL. That game doesn't even have 50-50s and evos are won with 5 throws in a row.

ANY system is better than this release block to tech. There is literally no logical reason for this system to be better than any other out there.

omooba

fear the moobs
grabs are not 50/50. in every other game if you guess right on a grab you tech it. In mk11 if you guess right on a grab you duck and full combo punish. you're never forced to tech, if anything it's discouraged by krushing blows. sorry i just get so triggered when i here people say throws shouldn't be 50/50

Last edited:

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The window is very large to tech, as is. Also, the throw meta is generally relative to screen position, unless a specific throw grants better oki opportunities (For example, Jacqui). The game also isn't heavily reliant on high/low 50/50s as much as MKX for mixups.

It's fine. Asking for teching via throw input makes throw teching a lot less risky, considering jumps are really floaty this time around and there's often instances where you can jump out of a throw but your jump attack still doesn't land. Also, a big issue with Injustice was how weak throws were due to the large tech window + no 50/50 tech. I'd rather throws be strong. The game's offense isn't exceedingly layered enough to warrant a bad throw game, and they're already KB d2 fodder by being highs.